Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Texans sign Ryan Fitzpatrick to 2-year deal

Per Rotoworld.com:

Texans agreed to terms with QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, formerly of the Titans, on a two-year contract.
The move should signal the end of Matt Schaub's time in Houston. One of the league's streakiest signal callers, Fitzpatrick isn't reliable enough to start, but is an ideal backup. He's a quarterback who can come off the bench and actually win games. In Houston, the bearded Ivy Leaguer will almost certainly be entrusted with mentoring a rookie quarterback, likely one taken at No. 1 overall. There's a good chance Fitz will start games in 2014, but an even better chance he won't be fantasy relevant outside of deep, two-quarterback formats. Mar 20 - 6:29 PM

Automatically the best quarterback on the Texans roster. (Sadly) I do like this signing. He's a quality backup that I wouldn't even feel terrible if he was the starter Week 1. Now just bring in a young guy (Mallett, Hoyer, or draft) and I'm happy.

• Upvote 1

Fitzpatrick starting Week 1? You gunning for the #1 pick again, I guess.

Automatically the best quarterback on the Texans roster. (Sadly) I do like this signing. He's a quality backup that I wouldn't even feel terrible if he was the starter Week 1. Now just bring in a young guy (Mallett, Hoyer, or draft) and I'm happy.

0.0% chance that Hoyer goes anywhere. Starting next year in Cleveland.

If the Texans pick a QB with their #1 overall pick, then no way would I want Fitzpatrick to start over him if it were my team. If you take a QB #1 overall, you're basically saying that's your franchise. You don't draft a QB #1 overall and bench him; especially behind Fitzpatrick. We know what Fitzpatrick is.

If the Texans pick a QB with their #1 overall pick, then no way would I want Fitzpatrick to start over him if it were my team. If you take a QB #1 overall, you're basically saying that's your franchise. You don't draft a QB #1 overall and bench him; especially behind Fitzpatrick. We know what Fitzpatrick is.

Well obviously. All I was saying is that it's not the end of the world if he's the Week 1 starter as opposed to T.J. Yates or Case Keenum. If they go QB at #1 (Likely Bortles) then yes he would be the starter from the get-go.

Everything I've read says Bortles could end up the best QB of this year's draft, but he needs a little time to develop. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him holding a clipboard for Fitzpatrick for most, if not all, of the year, and you can do a lot worse than Fitzpatrick in all honesty. Of course the fans won't be happy to see the #1 pick on the bench, but after seeing what happened with Carr a decade ago I think some patience would be a good thing in the long run.

Yeah but have you seen his crown?

Uu9adC1.gif

sUqmj1T.gif

HUGE red flag. He's balding severely at the crown of his head. He's probably lying about his age, I bet he's already 29.

Much worse QBs you can have than Fitzpatrick. I think we were stupid to let him go in favor of Whitehurst. One of the better true backups in the league, IMO.

• Upvote 1

Much worse QBs you can have than Fitzpatrick. I think we were stupid to let him go in favor of Whitehurst. One of the better true backups in the league, IMO.

Agreed. Bad move by the Titans. Whitehurst? Really? :rofl:

Yeah but have you seen his crown?

HUGE red flag. He's balding severely at the crown of his head. He's probably lying about his age, I bet he's already 29.

Terry%20Bradshaw.jpg

:yao: :yao: :yao:

• Upvote 1

Agreed. Bad move by the Titans. Whitehurst? Really? :rofl:

Yeah. It'd be one thing if we had a starter who had no injury issues.

But we have Jake Locker, which pretty much guarantees that Whitehurst will start a game or two or 3/4ths the season :yao:

• Upvote 1

Remember when the Titans said they'd go all out for Jay Cutler if he tested for FA?

Well obviously. All I was saying is that it's not the end of the world if he's the Week 1 starter as opposed to T.J. Yates or Case Keenum. If they go QB at #1 (Likely Bortles) then yes he would be the starter from the get-go.

I don't think Bortles will be ready week 1.

Manziel and Bridgewater otoh can be.

The only pick I think Texans can justify over Clowney is Manziel.

Of the top three QB's, Manziel has the "it" factor, while Bridgewater is the most NFL ready now.

Bortles holds the clipboard until you feel comfortable with giving him a shot and with #1 pick, I don't think you can afford that.

• Upvote 1

Of the top three QB's, Manziel has the "it" factor, while Bridgewater is the most NFL ready now.

Bortles holds the clipboard until you feel comfortable with giving him a shot and with #1 pick, I don't think you can afford that.

Hey a Texans fan! Welcome to the boards. I'm in the Bridgewater fan club. Manziel scares the shit outta me...

Hey a Texans fan! Welcome to the boards. I'm in the Bridgewater fan club. Manziel scares the shit outta me...

You know, I used to be exactly the same way about Manziel.

But I started seriously investigating the top ten QB's in the draft and I came to the conclusion that Manziel does have "it" factor out the wazoo.

I started thinking if there was a chance for Texans to hit on paydirt with a QB to be the catalyst for a big turnaround for Texans, Manziel would be the most likely to be that spark.

Manziel is the only other #1 I would consider besides Clowney. Of course, the best scenario for Texans is to trade down for extra picks.

I would take Clowney, and hope that Bridgewater fell down to us at #33. If we miss TB top of the second, we wait for Mettenberger or Murray.

• Upvote 1

But I started seriously investigating the top ten QB's in the draft and I came to the conclusion that Manziel does have "it" factor out the wazoo.

I started thinking if there was a chance for Texans to hit on paydirt with a QB to be the catalyst for a big turnaround for Texans, Manziel would be the most likely to be that spark.

Manziel is the only other #1 I would consider besides Clowney. Of course, the best scenario for Texans is to trade down for extra picks.

I would take Clowney, and hope that Bridgewater fell down to us at #33. If we miss TB top of the second, we wait for Mettenberger or Murray.

I'm starting to come to terms that if I were to bet money on who goes #1, I'd put it on Clowney. If for whatever stupid reason Bridgewater drops, I'd be freakin' ecstatic to get him at #33. I'm a big fan of Murray when it comes to the "second tier" quarterbacks in this draft class. Not particularly high on Mettenberger myself.

Edited by FartWaffles

I'm starting to come to terms that if I were to bet money on who goes #1, I'd put it on Clowney. If for whatever stupid reason Bridgewater drops, I'd be freakin' ecstatic to get him at #33. I'm a big fan of Murray when it comes to the "second tier" quarterbacks in this draft class. Not particularly high on Mettenberger myself.

I'm pretty high on Murray - I think he will be very successful in the NFL under the right coach in the right scheme. He has a sweet back shoulder fade and QB smarts.

Mett will likely need a little more polishing but I see him as a Matt Schaub type player with a big arm.

If TB gets past Arizona then there is a big chance he falls to #33 and that would be golden for Texans. I hope another player at their biggest need is available so they have to pass on him - that is the beauty of this draft, there is so much quality in the first round especially that teams will likely be practically forced to go BPA.

there's absolutely no way Bridgewater drops out of the first round, if he somehow falls past 15 somebody will trade up for him

there's absolutely no way Bridgewater drops out of the first round, if he somehow falls past 15 somebody will trade up for him

That's how I see it, but there have been reports that his private workouts have been "shaky" and that there's a possibility he has a Geno Smith drop in the draft.

Then again it is lying season. With 11 picks I would hope the Texans consider a trade up if Teddy does fall out of the top 15-20 picks.