SJConrad

CFL 2014 Pre-Season Thread

Well, seeing all the NFL off season talk going on I feel there needs to be a little love for those of us 3-Downers.

WHERE TO WATCH IN THE US: http://www.cfl.ca/page/us-broadcast-schedule

RULES CHANGES:

Pass Interference Challenge:

Coaches are now allowed to challenge both called and potential defensive pass interference fouls under certain conditions.

The new rule now provides a team with the ability to use any and all of its Coaches' Challenges to challenge a called or potential pass interference foul up to the final three minutes of a game. In the final three minutes of a game, and overtime, a team can only challenge such a call or non-call one time, and only if it still has an unused challenge and a timeout remaining.

A coach must challenge to trigger a video review of a pass interference call or a potential pass interference call. They will not be subject to automatic review by the Command Centre. -cfl.ca

Smaller Rules Changes

Approved rule changes to further protect the health and safety of CFL players:

• Eliminating low blocks below the waist, other than those delivered to the front plane of a player, in all areas of the field except in the area between the tackles and two yards on either side of the line of scrimmage.

• Outlawing peel back blocks, which occur when a play changes direction in the backfield, forcing the defender to modify his pursuit, making him susceptible to blind low blocks executed by an offensive player moving toward his own end zone.

• Clarifying the rules that make it illegal to "deliver a blow" to an opponent’s neck or head, and when it is illegal for a player to use their helmet to hit an opponent, standards already followed by officials but not yet codified in the rule book.

• Requiring an injured player to leave the field for three plays regardless of whether a penalty was called on the action leading to the injury (players currently have the option to stay in the game if a penalty was called on the play.)

Other approved changes to promote scoring and improve the flow of the game:

• Allowing quarterbacks for each team to use their own team supplied Wilson footballs, provided they have met the "new ball" quality standard established by the league.

• Allowing centres to bob their heads multiple times in an effort to signal timing of the snap of the ball (to be used by visiting teams coping with noise in stadium).

• Allowing offences to further dictate the pace of play by no longer requiring the Head Referee to hold the 20 second clock for the defence to substitute. -cfl.ca

WEST:

BC Lions

Wally Buono has some serious thinking to do after last season. Hopefully the OL and QBs will stay Healthy, and maybe they can find a replacement for long time C Angus Reid. I honestly think BCs still 3rd place in the division if they stay healthy, and further down the list if they can't!

Prediction: 3rd

Calgary Stampeders(prepare for the homer)
Well. The stampeders retained the services of the CFLs best edge rushing tandem, traded away a disappointing kick returner (replacing him with an actual player in Jock Sanders), and improve our DB corps. Add that to the fact that we retained both Bo Levi Mitchell and Drew Tate through the expansion draft, which I thought near impossible. Add to that the fact that Kory Sheets isn't in the league to challenge Jon Cornish, and our special teams I think we have ourselves the chance at returning to the Grey Cup. (PS Drew Tate. STAY HEALTHY MY MAIN MAN)

Prediction 1st

Edmonton Eskimos

The best thing to come out of last season for the Esks might just be the fact that it's finally over. I personally attended quite a few home games here in Edmonton (Shout out to Section O) With the wave of OL signings I'm waiting to see if they can keep whoever starts behind center (Mike Reiley or Matt Nichols by my estimation) Fred Stamps is still possibly a huge threat at SB or WR and maybe they can find a kicker who understands the winds that swirl around Commonwealth and make a go of it.

Prediction: 4th

Winterpeg Winnipeg Blue Bombers

I'm starting my description stating that last years problems for the Bombers didn't end on the field but they started there. With the addition of Korey Banks maybe the Defence will shore up a little bit. My area of concern is at QB. Drew Willy isn't tested and I hope his confidence is given a chance rather than the "QB by committee" that Winnipeg was last year. Oh. And maybe finding a stable front office structure'd be nice.

Prediction: 5th (The west is too stacked)

Saskatchewan Roughriders

The Mellonheads were able to buy win a Grey Cup on home soil, but a repeat looks more difficult as the wests strength seems to just keep increasing over time. As somebody who can no longer play the game because of injury I look at Riderville and think "If the injury bug hits..." and scratch my head. They don't have a proven backup at QB, no Korey Sheets (at time of writing), one natural C on the OL, and only one natural safety on roster... I'm worried for the Green Machine.

Prediction: 2nd

EAST

Toronto Argonauts

Am I wrong in saying if Ricky Ray is healthy the Boatmen have a chance at running their whole way to the Grey Cup? Their possibly potent running game combined with Ray spreading the ball around better than any other QB in the game their Offence can drown you out of the game faster than their... interesting defense can sink them.

Prediction 1st

Hamilton Tiger Cats

Tim Hortons Field will be opening with a new young face under center. Weather it's Dan LeFevour or Zach Collaros I still feel that the Ti-Cats are in for a tough year. I may be over simplifying but the CFL is a QB centric league for a reason. That being said maybe the weapons around them make them better than I can see on paper. I also look at their defence and say... "Uhh... who dat?" and that's NOT a good thing. The defence needs to make sure that the retooled offence stays on the field, and I'm wondering if that'll happen
Prediction 3rd

Montreal Alouettes

It's the end of an era in Montreal. But is the rest of the team able to move on? In my opinion there will be a big initial down turn as the Als get used to not having AC13 in the backfield. That being said it's now seeming to be the young gunslingers division with more inexperienced QBs. Again, similar to Hamilton will the offence allow the QBs to flourish or flop? However unlike Hamilton the Als have the Defence that can talk the talk and walk the walk, especially with their LB core.

Prediction 2nd

And last but CERTAINLY NOT LEAST

Ottawa Rough Riders Renegades ALL-CAPS RED-BLACKS

I think this team has created more questions than answers for me. What will make this time different in Ottawa in terms of fan support? Will Henry Burris have anyone else to throw to other than Paris Jackson? Will Rick Campbell be able to create another contender? I really have no clue. Their Offence seems to be up to Hank to figure out, which isn't the worst but he's always had weapons around him, not just one stud WR. While offence wins games and Defence wins championships, I'm faltering in my confidence in this O to win. I'm just hoping this team stays afloat long enough to create Football Atlantic in the near future.

Prediction 4th

Edited by SJConrad

Winnipeg is awful and they don't deserve to be in the Best Conference.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't disagree. However I see why the CFL did what they did. Football registration at a youth level is down so they need to promote the teams as "Good" to give role-models and motivation for registration in youth leagues. (Source: Fan 960 Radio Calgary)

Honesly I was going to root for the Roughriders and then they won the Grey Cup... my #1 motivation: have an excuse to root against another team from Edmonton.

STFU Razor. It looks like we actually have someone who can actually throw a ball. No idea why the coaching staff was all over Goltz.he can't complete to save his life. Never was a fan of Buck Pierce either. His best year with us was the grey cup and he was average to above average that year. We badly need a Center and a MLB. huge void after Henoc left for indy.

Monsters: The QB play wasn't the issue... fully. As I stated the rotating door of QBs was the issue. I honestly didn't see that many problems on the OL but Henoc leaving for any length of time to the NFL is a huge shot to the D.

No depth and we gave up way to many sacks. Rumour is were falling hard for Foucault or Lavertu in the draft. Also with the Henoc issue is that,he does not cut it in the NFL and comes back to the CFL he is not under contract with the Bombers.

Edited by monstersofthemidway

You don't think he'd want to sign back with them to play with Cauchy?

Maybe I'm just being negative but he has Argo or Lion written all over him when or if he comes back.

Honesly I was going to root for the Roughriders and then they won the Grey Cup... my #1 motivation: have an excuse to root against another team from Edmonton.

The last thing the CFL needs is more Riders fans. :yep:

Maybe I'm just being negative but he has Argo or Lion written all over him when or if he comes back.

I'd hope the Bombers offer him the money he deserves but I think he'd want to go to a contender. Like the Stamps :yep:

I'd hope the Bombers offer him the money he deserves but I think he'd want to go to a contender. Like the Stamps :yep:

:smug:

:nope:

I always forget to watch the games being that the coverage in the States in basically non-existent. NBCSN will have the TSN feed from time to time. Streams are annoying.

Edited by Bay

I always forget to watch the games being that the coverage in the States in basically non-existent. NBCSN will have the TSN feed from time to time. Streams are annoying.

Fair Enough. I hope the CFL make a cheap deal with a major network to let the games be played on a major network.

Free agent QB Pat White has signed with the Edmonton Eskimos of the CFL.
White "made" the Redskins' 53-man roster last season, but was cut after Week 1. He visited the Bills and Raiders in October, but couldn't latch on with either quarterback-needy team. Although White is still only 28, his NFL career is almost certainly over.
Source: esks.com

It will be interesting if they use him in a LeFevour type of way

Free agent QB Pat White has signed with the Edmonton Eskimos of the CFL.
White "made" the Redskins' 53-man roster last season, but was cut after Week 1. He visited the Bills and Raiders in October, but couldn't latch on with either quarterback-needy team. Although White is still only 28, his NFL career is almost certainly over.
Source: esks.com

It will be interesting if they use him in a LeFevour type of way

I dunno.It'll be interesting. This city was so high on Riley then he keeps having these major injuries.

How do you feel about Riley?

Riley is a faggot.

Former Titans LB Gerald McRath has signed with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.
A once-promising fourth-round pick out of Southern Miss, McRath's career was derailed in 2012 by a torn left patellar tendon, one of the toughest injuries an NFL player can suffer. Still only 27, McRath could parlay a big season up north into a league tryout late in training camp or before the 2015 NFL campaign.
Related: Titans
Source: Winnipeg Free Press

Riley is a faggot.

Razor is the worst troll. I really don't think he has a large enough sample of work to be judged in the 3 down league. Mechanics look solid though.

Former Titans LB Gerald McRath has signed with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.
A once-promising fourth-round pick out of Southern Miss, McRath's career was derailed in 2012 by a torn left patellar tendon, one of the toughest injuries an NFL player can suffer. Still only 27, McRath could parlay a big season up north into a league tryout late in training camp or before the 2015 NFL campaign.
Related: Titans
Source: Winnipeg Free Press

Still don't think that their O can put enough points on the board for the D to be relevant. If an NFL club hasn't taken a flier on him I'm still worried about that knee.

Only Issues i have right now with the O is the OL mostly C and RB. Going to be Interesting how Wiley does as a starter and his connection to Nik Moore and Watson.

Only Issues i have right now with the O is the OL mostly C and RB. Going to be Interesting how Wiley does as a starter and his connection to Nik Moore and Watson.

OL and RB... isn't that like half the offence? Without a great o-line your QB and RB suffer.

I should of clarify and said depth on the line. We have very little depth. We need a new centre regardless. Question time Do you think Glenn gets out of Ottawa and if he does where does he go.

I should of clarify and said depth on the line. We have very little depth. We need a new centre regardless. Question time Do you think Glenn gets out of Ottawa and if he does where does he go.

You have more depth than the Lions right now.

Apparently there's some decent depth at the canadian combine as well at some of the American run camps. I hope that translates into some increased talent into the game. Still waiting to hear if the PI will be challengeable though.