SJConrad

CFL 2014 Pre-Season Thread

Go Riders :shifty:

Go Riders :shifty:

Gone are the likes of tailback Kory Sheets, receiver Weston Dressler, and hybrid DB and LB Craig Butler, who all played massive roles in the team's Grey Cup conquest. - CFL Power rankings

I really doubt the riders will find another Sheets to fill their back field and Dressler's absence will be huge.

Free agent Chad Johnson will work out for the Montreal Alouettes of the Canadian Football League.
Johnson's last football activity was a disastrous 2012 stint with the Dolphins in which he was cut only a couple weeks into training camp. Previous to that, Johnson spent a underwhelming year in New England. At 36, it is unlikely Johnson has any juice left in the tank.
Source: Alouettes on Twitter

Free agent Chad Johnson is participating in the Montreal Alouettes' minicamp this week.
Johnson, 36, hasn't appeared in an NFL game since 2011 and knows that ship has sailed. He seems to have embraced a potential job in Montreal, where the quarterback is former Ohio State standout Troy Smith. The Alouettes insist Johnson is not a publicity stunt. "It's all business," GM Jim Popp said. "It's real. He's in great shape. He wants to play and we'll see how things are."
Source: Associated Press

Would the Als pay him the money he'd require to come up? I doubt it. Pipedreams of mediocrity abound in french land.

Well... it looks like a lock out might be happening. :panic:

"The (PA's strike) ballots are ready to be mailed out," said a source with knowledge of the negotiations, but who spoke on conditions of anonymity.

Sources have told TSN that the CFLPA has steadily prepared for the possibility of a strike vote for weeks, by accumulating addresses of its members, and reviewing labour laws in provinces with CFL teams.

"This is not a negotiation tactic - this is something the players feel they need to explore if no progress is made Thursday and Friday," the source said.

-TSN.ca

Edited by SJConrad

With the new CBA signed and the pre-season over it's time to kick off the season!

BC Lions

Preseason Record: 2-0

Next Week: vs. Edmonton

Calgary Stampeders

Preseason Record: 1-1

Next Week: vs. Montreal

Edmonton Eskimos

Next Week: @ BC

Saskatchewan Roughriders

Next Week: vs. Hamilton

Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Preseason Record: 0-2

Next Week: vs. Toronto

Toronto Argonauts

Preseason Record: 2-0

Next Week: @ Winnipeg

Hamilton Tiger-Cats

Next Week: @ Saskatchewan

Ottawa REDBLACKS

Next Week: BYE

Montreal Alouettes

Preseason Record: 0-2

Next Week: @ Calgary

9 teams is still dumb.

• Upvote 1

Wonder if new hockey hall of fame member Rob Blake watches :smug:

SJConrads Week 8 Update

CONRAD'S STATE OF THE LEAGUE

As I expected the West has dominated the East. The west is a combined 23-10 while the east is a combined 6-19 (Games played disparity is due to the 5 team west/ 4 team east). I really think the CFL needs to go to a one division format for the health of the league next year.

OH YEAH AND ALL GAMES ARE BEING SHOWN ON ESPN 3

CURRENT STANDINGS:

West

1. Calgary Stampeders 5-1 (w/tie breaker win over Edmonton (26-22) week 5)

2. Edmonton Eskimos 5-1

3. Winnipeg Blue Bombers 5-3 [Played Week 8 Game @ Toronto Argonauts. Lost 21-38]

4. Saskatchewan Roughriders 4-2

5. BC Lions 4-3

East

1. Toronto Argonauts 3-4 [Week 8 Game played. 38-21 vs Winnipeg] {Also have 2 games Week 8... thanks CFL scheduling}

2. Hamilton Tiger-Cats 1-5 (Tie Breaker: Points differential: -26)

3. Ottawa REDBLACKS 1-5 (Tie Breaker: Points differential: -78)

4. Montreal Alouettes 1-5 (Tie Breaker: Points differential: -79)

MY OPINIONS

Calgary Stampeders [Week 8: @ Hamilton Tiger-Cats]

While the Stamps may lead the west it certainly hasn't been easy for them. A game handed to them by interesting special teams choices by Edmonton, and a nail biter against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats have me worried. QB Bo Levi Mitchell picked up his game vs the Red Blacks and if he continues this pace the Stamps may stay close to the top all year. Not to mention losing last years Offensive MVP RB John Cornish, then injuries Back up RB Matt Walter as well as his replacement RB Martell Mallett has led to the use of 5 different RBs coming into week 8!

Edmonton Eskimos [Week 8 @ Ottawa REDBLACKS]

Mike Riley is proving himself in my eyes. When his o-line has appeared competent he's a great pocket passer, and when it hasn't he's done it with his feet. Add to that he's been taking huge shots and still keeping the Edmonton O on his back... needless to say I've been more than impressed. Great turnaround from the Green and Gold.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers [Week 8 L @ Toronto Argonauts 21-38]

I thought leaving the decidedly easier east division would leave the Bombers in a tough spot this hasn't proven to be the case. Not yet at least. Drew Willy leads the league in passing yards, rookie RB Nick Grigsby leads the league in rushing yards, and they have 2 players in the top 5 in tackles this teams turn around has me impressed, but has the loss to the east leading Argos shown some holes in the armor?

Saskatchewan Roughriders [Week 8 vs Montreal Alouettes]

While thy may be at the bottom of the west the returning CFL champs come into week on a 4 game winning streak. John Chick leads the league in sacks with 9. This team is well balanced and may have their issues in the backfield finally figured out. The Riders a are a well balanced and very well coached team so I expect continued results.

BC Lions [Week 8 @ Toronto Argonauts]

As sad as it is the Lions would still be leading the east at 4-3 but find them selves at the bottom of the west. Kevin Glenn and crew ended the stamps bid for perfection 2 weeks ago in a nail-biter and squeaked out a win against the Ti-Cats last week. Their Defense begins and ends with Solomon Elimimian who leads the league with an astonishing 54 tackles! That's 19 tackles ahead of any other player in the league, and 24 more than team mate Adam Bighill. The offence is pedestrian, with Kevin Glenn having thrown 11 picks (5.24% of his passing attempts) already.

Toronto Argonauts [Week 8 Game 1: W vs Winnipeg Blue Bombers 38-21] {Week 8 Game 2 vs BC Lions}

This team has deserved better. In their first of two week 8 games they had 0 WRs on their roster that dressed for game 1 of this season. Asking a player to come into any professional scheme and having to learn the playbook in a week will hamstring even the best offenses. If they ever get healthy the east MIGHT have a competent team. Oh and they revealed these snazzy new alternate Jerseys this week. What are your thoughts?Argos-signature-look.jpg

Hamilton Tiger-Cats [Week 8 vs Calgary Stampeders]

If you asked me for a saying to describe the Ti-cats games it would have to be "Close but no cigar". Week 2: Lose by 4, Week 4: Lose by 3, Week 6: Lose by 1, Week 7: Lose by 7. With a couple bounces this team could be 6-1.. but they aren't. They have been playing well but in the CFLyou need to close game and the Ti-Cats just can't.

Ottawa ALLCAPS REDBLACKS [Week 8 vs Edmonton Eskimos]

For an expansion team they're getting close but close only counts in horseshoes and tidily-winks. This new team is yet to establish an identity, but they need to find it and to keep fans in the seats in Ottawa they need to do it fast! The number one problem I see is their lack of dissipline. 10 penalties for 130 yards in week 7 is inexcusable to any team.

​Montreal Alouettes [Week 8 @ Saskatchewan Roughriders]

The post Anthony Calvio era in french land has not gone well. Big name signing Chad "Ochocinco" Johnson only has 4 receptions for 78 yards, Their "QB of the Future" Troy Smith is now on the bench behind Alex Brink, and their coaching staff has all been retooled... TWICE! If the players have any pride they're not showing it on or off the field. If results don't come expect big changes.

Edited by SJConrad