Vin

Update: Jason Garrett gets 5-year, $30M deal from Cowboys

Owner Jerry Jones insists Jason Garrett's job status beyond 2014 isn't contingent on the Cowboys making the playoffs.

"I don’t look at it that way at all," Jones claimed. "He’s more capable today than he was when he took over as head coach. If that arrow is going up, it just makes sense to have our future with Jason." Jones leaves himself wiggle room with that last caveat, but continues to stand behind a coach who's become known for his team blowing opportunities to clinch playoff berths in Week 17. We'd be stunned if Garrett survived another year without the postseason in Big D.

Guest Phailadelphia

Cowboys head coaches are far more likely to get fired over embarrassing losses on national TV than they are for being bad coaches.

He's not a bad Head Coach by any means. Great leader of men and the players play hard for him. He could have easily gone 13-3 (Broncos, Lions, Eagles, Packers, Chiefs were all games given away) this past season with an historically god awful defense.

He's a victim of a bad front office. He'd succeed anywhere else.

• Downvote 1

Coach of The Year. Don't care what anybody says.

• Upvote 1

Certainly one of the top candidates. Nobody gave this team a chance this season (including myself) yet we're in the divisional round.

Still giving that to Bruce Arians. The Cowboys always had the "talent" to do better than their 8-8 record. Bruce Arians however had a team depleted through big time injuries, suspensions, lost key players in free agency and made the playoffs in the most talented and hardest divisions in football. They lost Darnell Docket, had a 3 way QB carousel after losing Carson Palmer, Andre Ellington, Darryl Washington, Karlos Danbsy to free agency and still went 11-5. If you can go 11-5 despite all of that especially without a QB, you're doing something right. Garrett can be a candidate but no way topping Arian's.

• Upvote 1

Dallas had the offensive talent, but the defense was shot.

Want to see something similar? How about every time Drew Brees didn't have a defense. 6-10 or 7-9. Defense matters so damn much.

Dallas had the offensive talent, but the defense was shot.

Want to see something similar? How about every time Drew Brees didn't have a defense. 6-10 or 7-9. Defense matters so damn much.

I'm not so sure they have the defensive talent. However the playcalling theory makes it easier for a defense when the offense is sustaining long drives.

Still giving that to Bruce Arians. The Cowboys always had the "talent" to do better than their 8-8 record. Bruce Arians however had a team depleted through big time injuries, suspensions, lost key players in free agency and made the playoffs in the most talented and hardest divisions in football. They lost Darnell Docket, had a 3 way QB carousel after losing Carson Palmer, Andre Ellington, Darryl Washington, Karlos Danbsy to free agency and still went 11-5. If you can go 11-5 despite all of that especially without a QB, you're doing something right. Garrett can be a candidate but no way topping Arian's.

I'm not arguing against Bruce, because he's certainly a good candidate, but...

2-4 to finish the season, one win over St. Louis and the other was over KC. As the injuries started to pile, they began to lose. Dallas lost players as well, starting with Sean Lee in training camp. They lost their starting right tackle, Doug Free, a few weeks ago, and have had who-knows-how-many guys play LB. Hitchens started all 3 spots throughout the season. McClain (Lee's replacement) has been hurt, as well as a handful of other guys. But when they needed to get it done, they got it done. 5-1 after the bye, 4-0 in December, which leads me to my next point....

Cowboys' fans are so used to seeing Garrett coach like a fucking moron (icing his own kicker comes to mind), that this level of success has clouded our judgment a bit.

I'm not arguing against Bruce, because he's certainly a good candidate, but...

2-4 to finish the season, one win over St. Louis and the other was over KC. As the injuries started to pile, they began to lose. Dallas lost players as well, starting with Sean Lee in training camp. They lost their starting right tackle, Doug Free, a few weeks ago, and have had who-knows-how-many guys play LB. Hitchens started all 3 spots throughout the season. McClain (Lee's replacement) has been hurt, as well as a handful of other guys. But when they needed to get it done, they got it done. 5-1 after the bye, 4-0 in December, which leads me to my next point....

Cowboys' fans are so used to seeing Garrett coach like a fucking moron (icing his own kicker comes to mind), that this level of success has clouded our judgment a bit.

I understand that. I really do. But they lost their QB bro; the most important position on the entire team. They won games with D r e w S t a n t o n and still made the playoffs. I'm sorry but that's exceedingly more impressive. Carson Palmer was playing very solid too before he went down. If a teams starting QB goes down, you'd expect the ship to sank. Chalk it and stick a fork in your season; ESPECIALLY playing in the NFC West. It really can't compare.

I understand that. I really do. But they lost their QB bro; the most important position on the entire team. They won games with D r e w S t a n t o n and still made the playoffs. I'm sorry but that's exceedingly more impressive. Carson Palmer was playing very solid too before he went down. If a teams starting QB goes down, you'd expect the ship to sank. Chalk it and stick a fork in your season; ESPECIALLY playing in the NFC West. It really can't compare.

That's definitely worse. If Tony had gone down at any point, there would be no pass interference controversy...there'd have been no Cowboys in the playoffs.

Well, looks like my statement is going to be true, just for different reasons than I expected.

Cowboys VP Stephen Jones said Monday the team is working on a long-term extension with coach Jason Garrett.

Garrett's contract has expired and he is technically a coaching free agent, but he isn't going anywhere. The Cowboys will lock him up after a 12-4 season following three straight 8-8 finishes. Garrett isn't the best in-game coach, but Dallas' commitment to its offensive philosophy was impressive and unyielding in 2014, and led to the franchise's first playoff win since 1996.

Garrett isn't the best in-game coach, but Dallas' commitment to its offensive philosophy was impressive and unyielding in 2014, and led to the franchise's first playoff win since 1996.

Uh...the Cowboys beat the Eagles in the 2010 wild card round. I remember all too well. :dry:

• Upvote 1

lol Ed Werder.

Uh...the Cowboys beat the Eagles in the 2010 wild card round. I remember all too well. :dry:

3-0 vs Philly that year. Ahhh... memories.

3-0 vs Philly that year. Ahhh... memories.

I was SICK that year losing to Dallas 3 times and getting blown out in the playoffs...lol. It almost felt as bad as losing the superbowl to the Patriots in 04 haha.

Per Rotoworld.com:

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports the Cowboys are "on the brink" of a new five-year contract with coach Jason Garrett.
Owner/GM Jerry Jones' annual roll of the dice on Garrett finally paid off in 2014, and 'ol Jer is likely ready to make Garrett one of the higher-paid coaches in the league. Garrett's first order of business will be convincing DC Rod Marinelli to stay after he resurrected Dallas' moribund defense in 2014. Stripped of any real game-day responsibility, Garrett is most valued in Dallas for his steady hand and leadership. He's also not someone who will clash with spotlight-hog Jones. Jan 13 - 3:26 PM

Per Rotoworld.com:

Cowboys signed coach Jason Garrett to a five-year, $30 million contract.
The financials are courtesy of DallasCowboys.com's Nick Eatman. It's a nice chunk of change for a coach who entered 2014 with a 29-27 career record, but does not put Garrett amongst the league's highest-paid coaches. Garrett wisely didn't overplay his hand in talks. Stripped of all consequential game-day duties, Garrett excelled in a caretaker role in 2014, leading Dallas to its first playoff appearance since 2009-10. Garrett is far from an Xs and Os master, but is valued for his leadership in Dallas, and avoids stepping on owner/GM Jerry Jones' toes. Jan 13 - 5:38 PM