Tridentdawgpound

2014 MLB Season Thread

2014 Atlanta Braves: Bad team

Yeah offense totally disappeared on saturday and sunday versus the nats. I missed the game since I was gone to a funeral but I know Gattis's hit streak was snapped as well. Only four hits as a team. Not good.

Oh well if I could suffer through the Braves in the late 70's through the 80's then I can certainly suffer along with this team too.

If Tulo doesn't pick Stanton for the HR derby...

If Tulo doesn't pick Stanton for the HR derby...

IMHO I'd pick Stanton, Gattis, Rizzo, and Todd Frazier to go along with Tulo.

I mean all those guys are having monster years with the long ball so far. The homerun derby will probably be the only way that Gattis, Rizzo and Frazier get on the team anyway. Gattis has by far the most dingers by a catcher in the majors. He has 16 homers, .912 OPS and a 1.9 WAR but Molina, Lucroy and possibly Mesorosco will get chosen ahead of him. Rizzo has had a solid year for the Cubbies with 15 dingers, a .900 OPS and a 2.2 WAR (second only to Goldschmidt in the NL at firstbase). Frazier has really had a monster year for the Reds with 17 homers, .863 OPS and a 2.9 WAR but is not even in the top 5 in voting for thirdbasemen.

Even if these guys don't make the all-star team they'd be exciting players in the homerun derby for sure in my book.

Edited by southgadawg

Yo these catchers in the NL Central are pretty nice. Lucroy, Yadi, Mesoraco, Martin. :notbad:

• Upvote 2

Yo these catchers in the NL Central are pretty nice. Lucroy, Yadi, Mesoraco, Martin. :notbad:

Actually we could be living in the 'Golden Age of Catchers'. I have been watching baseball since the late 70's and although there were exceptions no longer does it seem that the catcher is one of the two worst hitters on the team in most cases.

Don't get me wrong I have seen fantastic catchers through the years: Gene Tenace, Thurman Munson, Carlton Fisk, Johnny Bench, Ted Simmons, Darrell Porter, Pudge Rodriguez, Benito Santiago, Mike Piazza, Bob Boone, Gary Carter, Javy Lopez and I am sure I am forgetting a couple. But during most of those years the average catcher was most likely a .220 avg guy with about 5 homers. In fact many of the catchers I mentioned only had a few above average offensive years. Think about the guys playing right now: Posey, Mauer, Santana, McCann, Martin, Molina, Lucroy, Gattis, Mesoraco, Montero, Perez, Norris, Jaso, Gomes, Rosario, Castro, and I am sure I missed one or two who have in the last two seasons had been very good players for their team (although they may not be totally repeating it this season). These guys are all still relatively young for the most part (or have had a long history of success) and could contribute greatly for several more years. Catchers are no longer an after thought on a MLB team.

Nice to see the Braves have had a winning record on this road trip. Hope it will last!

I didn't want to post anything too early in the season, but now that we're right around the halfway point and KC is only 3.5 games out of first after being in first in June for the first time since '03, I think it's safe to say that this is a good team. They have a chance to actually get into the playoffs for the first time in nearly 30 years. Please, George Brett, let the Royals go into the postseason this October. I

'll be going to at least one game (4th of July) this weekend in Cleveland, and I will be going again in the last week or two of the season. I would really like that September series to mean something. All I want for Christmas is a World Series birth...

The Pirates actually have the 3rd best record in baseball since May 1st. We've quietly dug ourselves out of the early season hole. Hope we can keep it up.

We've won five straight and seven of eight. Baseball is fun.

Also, Bryce Harper says the Nats are the best team in baseball. Look up, clown.

and lol @ Harper thinking he can decide where everyone plays

“I’m in the lineup, that’s all that matters. If I had the lineup it would maybe not be the same. But he’s got the lineup card, he’s got the pen and he knows what he’s doing. There’s nothing I can do about it,” he said.

“I think [Zimmerman] is great and he should be playing left. Rendon’s a great third baseman and he should be playing third. And we got one of the best second basemen in the league in Danny Espinosa. Of course you want the best hitting lineup in there, and I think Rendon playing third and Zim playing left is something that is good for this team and I think that should be what’s happening.”

Lmao!

Edited by Bay

The Nationals do have a formidable team when everyone is healthy and clicking....BUT any team in the majors can be dangerous when everyone is healthy and clicking. It is how teams handle the hard times that generally makes the difference. Only time will tell if Harper is a prophet or a clown but I am sure he doesn't endure other people to always like him because his mouth at times runneth over.

Braves had to put Gattis on the DL with a back injury. I think it is a bulging disk. He had been hitting the ball hard so that is a loss but thankfully catcher is one of the few positions the Braves had quality depth in. Bethancourt is only 22 years old and his numbers suggest he will struggle some with the bat but excel with the glove. He should get some playing time in Gattis' absence.

Amazingly as mentioned a couple posts above the Braves have one seven of eight games ....most of that with BJ Upton at leadoff. rofl who would had expected that!

It had been too long since I had watched video of Gehrig's speech. It was iconic and touching at the same time that such a historic figure in the great game of baseball recognizes that even though he has received a bad break (to put it mildly but in his terms) that he is still the luckiest man on Earth. How many of us grumble and complain when we need to count our blessings as Gehrig did?

Thanks for posting this Blue.

Harper is the kind of divisional player who I like because he makes it easy for me to hate him.

Legendary Gehrig. :clap:

Pirates look poised for a strong 2nd half. Things could get pretty interesting in the NL Central.

A's start a 4-game set with the Jays tonight.

Only a sweep will satisfy me. :coffee:

Toronto Blue Fades now 9-17 since June 7th. :yao:

And with getting Samardzija and Hammel, the A's 5th starter (most likely) boasts a 3.23 ERA (Chavez)...

gif-1.gif

Big trade that has helped the future for the Cubs (although they now have a huge overflow of highly projected middle infielders). I am very interested in who the PTBNL is (sometimes they turn out to be good in their own right).

The Athletics now have a very formidable pitching staff. They were already the hands down best team in baseball (in my book) and now they are even better.

On paper right now it looks like a good trade for both teams.

On a Braves note: 8 wins in a row. They have really been playing good fundamental baseball since Gattis went out and since BJ went to the lead off spot. Nice to see but they have to keep winning with the Nationals hot on their tail. I look for a tough race between the two right up until the end of the season.

Braves win their 9th game in a row (lol I should had counted them out as worthless earlier) to remain 1.5 games up in the NL East. Simba made 2 errors in the first but they came back from down 3-0 to score a boatload of runs. Hopefully they will stay hot while I am on vacation (leaving in the early morning and won't be back until around Saturday so probably last post for me for a few days).

Braves wish list for trade deadline: . dump Uggla for anything and pick up a solid bench bat such as Luis Valbuena (who could spell Johnson some at third for sure as well as play secondbase in case something happens to La Stella. Or Josh Rutledge from the Rockies, or Eduardo Nunez from the Twins, Or shoot just DFA Uggla and bring Pastornicky back up lol I'd be happy with any improvement from the bench. (and no i am not suggesting trading Uggla for any of those people...drop him, and just trade somebody else for them....for example the Cubs still need young but soon to be ready pitching and they have a glut of young infielders coming up. Valbuena might be available for the right price).

Edited by southgadawg

A's start a 4-game set with the Jays tonight.

Only a sweep will satisfy me. :coffee:

:megusta:

A's dominated their asses all series long. The Jays' vaunted offense scored a whopping 4 runs in a 4-game set. :yao: Been a while since Sarge has drooled over the Jays, wonder why. :smug: Warned ya'll they were gonna fade fast tho.