Tridentdawgpound

2014 MLB Season Thread

Frank Wren, the GM who's been so good at getting pitchers off the scrap heap has been shitcanned and Fredi Gonzalez, the manager who failed special ed is still around. Darkness overcomes me.

Send Altuve this way, please.

No, that's okay. :p Only wanted Houston to beat Seattle. I'm a fan of whoever is playing against the Mariners during the final playoff push.

I get to be a Blue Jays fan over the next few days!

Edited by Bay

King Felix got his crown handed to him last night. I've never seen him get lit up like that before.

• Upvote 1

King Felix got his crown handed to him last night. I've never seen him get lit up like that before.

That was... awesome. The Yankees are out. Told ya there was nothing to worry about. :lol:

• Upvote 1

That was... awesome. The Yankees are out. Told ya there was nothing to worry about. :lol:

Yeah you did. :D

Eat a dick Yankees! Looking forward to the postseason.

And as for the Bucs: they are in a prime position to win the Central. I hope they do that!

Teams I like going into in the playoffs...

Angels, Athletics, Tigers, Royals, Orioles, Dodgers, Giants, Pirates.

So basically no Cardinals or Nationals please. :nope:

Of course I'm assuming everything stays as it is in the AL.

I'm pretty indifferent towards who wins the WS as long as it's not the fucking Nationals.

• Upvote 1

The hate for a team that had previous little success is strong here! :troll:

Hoping the Royals win the AL Central. That would be a great thing to see after their 29 year absence from the playoffs.

As for the World Series, I'd like to see the Orioles in the A.L. If not, I'll pull for K.C. or L.A. Angels. On the N.L. side, Pirates, and Dodgers are my top two hopefuls.

That's one of the absolute most insanely amazing things I've ever seen in sports that Jeter gets a walk off hit tonight. Wow. Hats off to him, had a great career, probably #2 all time at the position and I've always respected him.

Glad he's finally gone though. :megusta:

Edited by BradyFan81

To go along with that pic...

Last year the Pirates, this year the Royals. MLB gettin' turnt.

#lerminaughty

• Upvote 1

Go ROYALS :clap: :BEERCHUG2: :dance: I honestly thought that I might never see the day. Like, ever. In all of life.

• Upvote 1

Go ROYALS :clap: :beerchug2: :dance: I honestly thought that I might never see the day. Like, ever. In all of life.

Congrats John. It's about damn time for you guys and your fanbase. Hopefully you don't do what we did last year and go one and done. :yao:

Also even though the Indians got mathematically eliminated last night this has still been an awesome year. Our pitching staff set a ML record for strikeouts. Kluber SHOULD get AL Cy Young in my opinion. Our rotation is so young with guys like Kluber, Carrasco, Salazar, and Bauer starting to take shape if we could finally get some offense next year we'll be REALLY good.

Also Brantley just needs one hit in the next two games to get to 200 (he'd be the first Indian to do that since Kenny Lofton in 1996).

Edit: Who has the longest drought now by the way? Is it Toronto?

Edited by JetsFan4Life

Congrats John. It's about damn time for you guys and your fanbase. Hopefully you don't do what we did last year and go one and done. :yao:

Also even though the Indians got mathematically eliminated last night this has still been an awesome year. Our pitching staff set a ML record for strikeouts. Kluber SHOULD get AL Cy Young in my opinion. Our rotation is so young with guys like Kluber, Carrasco, Salazar, and Bauer starting to take shape if we could finally get some offense next year we'll be REALLY good.

Also Brantley just needs one hit in the next two games to get to 200 (he'd be the first Indian to do that since Kenny Lofton in 1996).

Edit: Who has the longest drought now by the way? Is it Toronto?

Yes, and that's not changing anytime soon.

Gonna be a crazy Sunday for baseball! The AL and NL Central have yet to be decided, as does the 2nd A.L. Wild Card!

Edit: Forgot about HFA for both WC games.

Edited by BigBen07

We should really win today... The potential of having two one-off games just sounds shitty. Hopefully Cueto takes care of business against Pittsburgh.

My prediction: 88 wins and a wildcard.

Outfield: Slight regression possible from both McCutchen and Marte, but Polanco's arrival provides a big boost. More valuable to the team than last year,even if only slightly.

Infield: Solid defense everywhere. SS defense a question mark. Need more offense from this group than last year, but definitely possible. Definitely will get more offense from SS. 3B Alvarez needs to improve plate discipline just a bit. Look for a bounce back year from 2B Walker. C Martin is an elite defender. Anything they get from him at the plate is a bonus, but he can still swing a power bat at times. First base likely a hole until the trade deadline. Overall outlook: Slightly more valuable than last year.

Rotation: Cole in his 2nd year. Should be a good pitcher. Liriano unreliable year to year, but PNC park + Pirates defense will help. Morton a solid #3 option. Induces a lot of ground ball outs but has the stuff for strikeouts when needed. Wandy Rodriguez provides a valuable LHP at the back end of the bullpen if healthy. #5 spot a question mark with Volquez starting out with the spot. Options available both in MLB bullpen (mainly Pimentel) and Triple A to replace him or other injured starters. Overall outlook: Slightly less valuable than last year.

Bullpen: Grilli, Melancon, and Wilson should be hard to beat at the back end. Watson is a solid left-handed situational reliever. Pimentel, Morris, Gomez provide mid-long relief options. Pimentel could also start if needed. Options available for replacement if needed. Pitched lights out last year. Even with great talent, slight regression expected. Overall outlook: Slightly less valuable than last year.

So the Pirates pitching will take a step back from last year, but the overall offensive output should take a step forward. They won 94 games last year, but admittedly, there was some luck involved. I could see them starting out a bit slow, but Polanco + trade deadline will beef them up to finish at or around 88 wins in contention for a wildcard spot.

jeremiah_johnson_nodding-Robert-Redford.

The only thing is, I didn't see Alvarez being a total flop and I didn't see Josh Harrison competing for the batting title. Nobody saw that last one coming.

But yea, this is my greatest prediction ever.

:cigar:

• Upvote 1

Moot

MARINERS are ELIMINATED :rock:

Edited by Bay

Volquez is pitching for us in the WC game. I'm perfectly cool with that. He's been pretty good this year.