Sign in to follow this  
BC

Who will bust?

It crossed my mind (aside from the lack of decent threads lately) that there is quite a bit of depth and that most of us are doing pretty well in the mock. Seems like nearly every single pick is going to turn out to be a solid asset. But that can't be the case can it? According to WalterFootball.com, 53% of picks in the last three years have been hits, while 47% have been busts. Jamarcus Russell, Aaron Curry, etc were "sure-fire" picks. We ought to have a few players like that in this class.

It's a dangerous game to play, but call them now.

Jadaveon Clowney

Teddy Bridgewater

Johnny Manziel

Daniel McCullers

Colt Lyeria (given someone takes him)

Taylor Lewan

Marqise Lee

Bradley Roby

Edited by BC

I don't know if it would really be considered a 'bust' but if Clowney is selected #1 overall I don't think he will live up to that selection spot. I feel he will be an above average player on the field but certainly not close to the best overall player in this year's draft. Gut feeling nothing more.

I think Manziel has a chance to be a distraction to a team, but I think also his on the field play will be above average. So not sure how the balance will shift on that one.

Overall admittedly I am not overly familiar with more than a dozen names or so in this draft. Not enough to make too much speculation beyond those two I named.

I don't necessarily think all of these guys will bust, but these are players that I think have risk attached to their names.

Blake Bortles

Greg Robinson

Anthony Barr

Eric Ebron

HaHa Clinton-Dix

Johnny Manziel

Kony Ealy

Kelvin Benjamin

Honestly there is a large number of guys who could potentially bust because there is a larger number of underclassmen coming out who are mostly potential and will heavily depend on the scheme they play and the coaches they get. Such as....

Anthony Barr: Hasn't played LB for that long and won't do well in an even front if forced to play at tradional LB.

Greg Robinson: Nasty in the run game, but has a very sub par pass pro despite his high stock.

Johnny Manziel: Boom or Bust at it's finest for all the obvious reasons.

Bradley Roby: All the athleticism and none of the technique with additional character concerns

Jake Matthews: Alot of hype of his name, but didn't have a good year. Will need some good coaching.

Marquis Lee: Will have to prove he can return to full his full athletic ability following a shaky year coming off injury.

I'm guessing:

John Manziel

Justin Gilbert

Eric Ebron

Taylor Lewan

Kelvin Benjamin

Bradley Roby

Timmy Jernigan

Bradley Roby

Anthony Barr

Johnny Manziel

Derek Carr

Carlos Hyde

Mike Evans

Eric Ebron

Taylor Lewan

Edited by Chernobyl426

Honestly there is a large number of guys who could potentially bust because there is a larger number of underclassmen coming out who are mostly potential and will heavily depend on the scheme they play and the coaches they get. Such as....

Anthony Barr: Hasn't played LB for that long and won't do well in an even front if forced to play at tradional LB.

Greg Robinson: Nasty in the run game, but has a very sub par pass pro despite his high stock.

Bradley Roby: All the athleticism and none of the technique with additional character concerns

Jake Matthews: Alot of hype of his name, but didn't have a good year. Will need some good coaching.

Marquis Lee: Will have to prove he can return to full his full athletic ability following a shaky year coming off injury.

:think: Care to explain more?

Of the rumored potential 1st rounders...

Kony Ealy

Dee Ford

Justin Gilbert

Taylor Lewan

Zack Martin

Derek Carr

Dee Ford? Naw, he's gonna get better. He has the desire to be the best. He loves football, he's a motor and a good get off at the snap. He's not perfect, but he's a football player.

I see Ealy and Benjamin as locks to bust.

Watching Jake Matthews he lacks attitude and power in his pass pro and his run blocking. While most of the top tackles are usually not polished run blockers, Matthews also is not very smooth in pass protection especially against players with strength. He was constantly being put in the QBs lap and his hand technique is pretty bad which causes him to be bull rushed so easily. To me he isn't half the player Joeckel was.

Watching Jake Matthews he lacks attitude and power in his pass pro and his run blocking. While most of the top tackles are usually not polished run blockers, Matthews also is not very smooth in pass protection especially against players with strength. He was constantly being put in the QBs lap and his hand technique is pretty bad which causes him to be bull rushed so easily. To me he isn't half the player Joeckel was.

Interesting. Seems like you're not very high on many tackles in this draft though :smug:

Anthony Barr gonna bust if put in the wrong D.

Taylor Lewan meh not impressed with him at all.

Taylor Lewan meh not impressed with him at all.

I think I'm in the minority then when it comes to Lewan. I think he's going to be a very solid pro. He may be over-drafted, but I don't think he will bust. Mid-to-late first round value in my book.

• Upvote 1

Interesting. Seems like you're not very high on many tackles in this draft though :smug:

There is no tackle in the top 3 that comes close to the top 3 of last year's draft and we saw how they struggled in the beginning. Joeckel seemed to play the best of them before he got hurt and it's not coincidence that he was the best run blocker of the group. I like Lewan as the most polished and has a nasty attitude, maybe not a very high ceiling but will be solid right away.

Well the top 3 also had to play RT their rookie year, a position they didn't in college. Joeckel looked A LOT better for the one quarter at LT against Robert Quinn until in typical Jags fashion someone slid into the back of his ankle and broke it. I wanted to see if he could continue to shut down one of the best DEs in the game because he was doing that at the start of that game before the injury. But just the massive difference in how he was moving with confidence at LT contrasted with how he looked at RT was noticeable. People act like every LT can just flip to RT and do great, not always true.

The op asks "Who will bust?"

I'll go the other way - who will boom:-

Jadeveon Clowney will awake and shine..

Greg Robinson will be solid.

Sammy Watkins will be a star.

Jake Matthews will be solid.

Khalil Mack will be good.

Manziel will have a rough start but will turn into a franchise player.

Anthony Barr will be very good after a couple of seasons.

Aaron Donald will be a stud.

Darquese Dennard will be very competitive.

Louis Nix III will be very solid.

That's enough neck sticking out for now. 8^)