I like that mock a lot, I agree about the RB situation if they really wanted to add depth to it there might be a few talent UDFA that you could go after or 7th round BPA situation but no need to waste picks on a position already overloaded. I seen DT as a possibility about a week ago until Cole resigned. I thought we might find someone to replace him but then again you can never have enough DT.

Benjamin might very well fall to 28 with everything going on around him. After blowing off whatever private workout with what ever team it was may throw red flags up for early teams to take him, his work ethic has been questioned before and he stated himself when he first went to FSU he had work ethic problems.

I know it wasn't us he blew off because Prohel was at Vandy for private workouts when this happened according to his twitter (he has been tweeting where he has been going for private workouts) and hasn't been to Florida yet and I doubt Rivera goes down without his WR coach. Its hard to overlook his raw potential and physical size though just needs the right staff to light a fire under him.

If there isn't a good LT or CB sitting at 28, what WR that you think may realistically be there would want the Panthers to grab? I honestly think Kelvin Benjamin might be one huge bust. Mike Williams 2.0.

• Upvote 1

I like that mock a lot, I agree about the RB situation if they really wanted to add depth to it there might be a few talent UDFA that you could go after or 7th round BPA situation but no need to waste picks on a position already overloaded. I seen DT as a possibility about a week ago until Cole resigned. I thought we might find someone to replace him but then again you can never have enough DT.

Benjamin might very well fall to 28 with everything going on around him. After blowing off whatever private workout with what ever team it was may throw red flags up for early teams to take him, his work ethic has been questioned before and he stated himself when he first went to FSU he had work ethic problems.

I know it wasn't us he blew off because Prohel was at Vandy for private workouts when this happened according to his twitter (he has been tweeting where he has been going for private workouts) and hasn't been to Florida yet and I doubt Rivera goes down without his WR coach. Its hard to overlook his raw potential and physical size though just needs the right staff to light a fire under him.

If there isn't a good LT or CB sitting at 28, what WR that you think may realistically be there would want the Panthers to grab? I honestly think Kelvin Benjamin might be one huge bust. Mike Williams 2.0.

Realistically I don't think Cooks falls to 28 which is one I would take if he would I actually believe your Eagles end up with Cooks to replace Jackson after hearing Kelly gush over Cooks. Benjamin is a project and is a huge risk like Cam was when he was taken that could be a bust or a huge pick up those work ethic problems makes you wonder, but it be hard to pass him up given his physical attributes and raw abilities and including if there is no CB or LT available going by BPA just matters how he works out for us in private workouts I would guess. Allen Robinson is a possibility at 28, also another that might be a reach but since you picking so late in the first some guys who may go early second could come into play maybe a Jordan Matthews.

If not then I would consider trading back to early second, let someone that needs a QB jump back into the first from everyone picking early then grab two guys in the second, you could do like last year at DT use your first two picks at WR if you went back into the second, or if they feel comfortable with there FA pick ups consider trading up and going after Evans or Watkins which I think is the least likely of the scenarios. I think the second round is going to have a fair amount of talent available at WR with Bryant, Matthews, Moncrief, Adams etc.

Edited by panthergf

10150591_10152323733928756_8501474221658

Which option would you choose?

F: lol Panthers receiving options :lol::yao::smug:

I seen Madden post that what's sad is one of the options they listed isn't on the team and that is Hartsock replace him with Dickson. I would still say C or E :disgust::bag: . Hopefully after the draft they can get some people that make me feel much better about these moves they made instead of being the butt of the joke when it comes to WR groups in the NFL.

If Beckham is at 28 we take him. We might even go for a WR who might be 2nd round if we cant get a trade down. We HAVE to get a good WR in the draft.

That picture is missing Avant, btw. :p

Realistically I don't think Cooks falls to 28 which is one I would take if he would I actually believe your Eagles end up with Cooks to replace Jackson after hearing Kelly gush over Cooks. Benjamin is a project and is a huge risk like Cam was when he was taken that could be a bust or a huge pick up those work ethic problems makes you wonder, but it be hard to pass him up given his physical attributes and raw abilities and including if there is no CB or LT available going by BPA just matters how he works out for us in private workouts I would guess. Allen Robinson is a possibility at 28, also another that might be a reach but since you picking so late in the first some guys who may go early second could come into play maybe a Jordan Matthews.

If not then I would consider trading back to early second, let someone that needs a QB jump back into the first from everyone picking early then grab two guys in the second, you could do like last year at DT use your first two picks at WR if you went back into the second, or if they feel comfortable with there FA pick ups consider trading up and going after Evans or Watkins which I think is the least likely of the scenarios. I think the second round is going to have a fair amount of talent available at WR with Bryant, Matthews, Moncrief, Adams etc.

I'm not a huge fan of Cooks and hope the Eagles stay away from. I think it's another Tavon 2.0 situation especially if he goes to a team where he may be considered the #1 guy like the Panthers. I see Cooks possibly being effective in a WR core that is already established and he can be your gadget guy making plays not being the main focus on an offense where he might be with the Panthers. Chip may just be able to utilize him in such a way but I don't want him. Odell might be a good pick at 28. Odell has that "it" factor in my opinion. Has great hands, makes acrobatic catches and can be explosive after the catch. I PRAY you guys don't snag Allen Robinson. I want Allen Robinson SO bad... I think he has what it takes to be a big play maker at the next level. I love his size, physicality, leaping ability attacking balls at the high point, breaks tackles and is good after the catch. I don't want any more small receivers. I want a big body receiver on the outside that can win against the press which is something we haven't had since T.O in 2005. I really hope the Eagles make a way to get Robinson.

I'm not a huge fan of Cooks and hope the Eagles stay away from. I think it's another Tavon 2.0 situation especially if he goes to a team where he may be considered the #1 guy like the Panthers. I see Cooks possibly being effective in a WR core that is already established and he can be your gadget guy making plays not being the main focus on an offense where he might be with the Panthers. Chip may just be able to utilize him in such a way but I don't want him. Odell might be a good pick at 28. Odell has that "it" factor in my opinion. Has great hands, makes acrobatic catches and can be explosive after the catch. I PRAY you guys don't snag Allen Robinson. I want Allen Robinson SO bad... I think he has what it takes to be a big play maker at the next level. I love his size, physicality, leaping ability attacking balls at the high point, breaks tackles and is good after the catch. I don't want any more small receivers. I want a big body receiver on the outside that can win against the press which is something we haven't had since T.O in 2005. I really hope the Eagles make a way to get Robinson.

That's the way I feel I want a big WR with some big hands and decent speed like Benjamin, Robinson, Matthews, and Bryant. Size isn't everything at WR but Cam seems to do better with bigger targets as well as far as overthrowing goes.

Just when we think they are done signing WR our name pops up again this time linked to Sidney Rice who just received medical clearance :confused: :shrug:

With most of the veteran free-agent receivers already gobbled up and several teams still having needs, another veteran is ready to sign a new contract.

Per a league source, former Vikings and Seahawks receiver Sidney Rice has received clearance to resume football activities from Dr. James Andrews. Rice tore an ACL on October 28.

Now that Rice has been cleared, don’t be surprised if something happens quickly. He could sign in the next few days.

Interested teams, we’re told, include the Seahawks, Saints, Giants, and Panthers.

Rice, a second-round pick in 2007, had 1,312 receiving yards in 2009. His single-season high since then was 748 in 2012 with Seattle.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/14/sidney-rice-gets-clearance-could-sign-soon/

Edited by panthergf

Hello, got an invite to this site.

Sounds pretty good to match wits with other people from other teams.

Well I have read where people think we take WR or LT first even a CB. These are all great options.

If we go WR in first round and we can't get one of the top five it would be Martavis Bryant. Why Saints are in need too. They will more than likely draft C Marcus Martin in the First and I have seen several mocks talking Bryant right before the Panthers in the 2nd. So I'm looking at Bruce Ellington. The kid can dunk a basketball and he is just 5'9. He has been climbing the charts so taking him in the 2nd wouldn't be a bad thing. Then my focus moves me to O-line in the 1st and Antonio Richardson is been on my radar.

• Upvote 1

Updated list of draft prospects that have had private workouts/visited up to this point:

panthersb_logo.gif Carolina Panthers:

Jared Abbrederis, WR, Wisconsin (SR)
Dion Bailey, DB, USC (PRI/PRO)
Odell Beckham, WR, LSU (PRO)
Chris Borland, LB, Wisconsin (SR)
Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson (COM)
Philly Brown, WR, Ohio State (PRI)
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, DB, Alabama (PRI)
Ross Cockrell, DB, Duke (PRI)
Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State (PRI)
Pierre Desir, DB, Lindenwood (PRO)
Dakota Dozier, OL, Furman (PRO)
Kony Ealy, DL, Missouri (PRI)
Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina (PRI)
Justin Ellis, DL, Louisiana Tech (EW)
Cameron Fleming, OL, Stanford (VINT)
Garrett Gilbert, QB, SMU (PRO)
Rob Herron, WR Wyoming (PRI)
Adrian Hubbard, LB, Alabama (SR)
Jarvis Landry, WR, LSU (PRO)
Cody Latimer, WR, Indiana (PRI)
Marqise Lee, WR, USC (PRI)
Marcus Martin, OL, USC (PRI)
Stephen Morris, QB, Miami (PRI)
Morgan Moses, OL, Virginia (PRI)
Kevin Norwood, WR, Alabama (PRO)
Brett Smith, QB, Wyoming (PRI)
Telvin Smith, LB, Florida State (PRI)
Brandon Thomas, OL, Clemson (PRI*)
Billy Turner, OL, North Dakota State (PRI)
Brock Vereen, DB, Minnesota (PRI)
Jason Verrett, DB, TCU (PRI)
Larry Webster, LB, Bloomsburg (PRO)
EDIT:

Then add these to that list if you go by Prohel's twitter:

Jordan Matthews, WR, Vandy

Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State

Davante Adams, WR, Fresno State

Isaiah Burse, WR, Fresno State (just including him cause he was in Fresno)

Matt Hazel, WR, Coastal Carolina

Jamil Smith, WR, Ball State (just including him cause he was at Ball State)

Willie Snead, WR, Ball State

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014meetingsteams.php

Edited by panthergf

Nice little article from NFL.COM about rumors and visits from prospects we might select. If you go to the link it also includes all teams from every division I just copied the Panthers part.

The Panthers feature a lights-out defense, so building around Cam Newton will be a priority this offseason. An explosive wide receiver would make the talented quarterback happy. Offensive line also figures to be an area of focus.

Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama
April 18: Kouandjio worked out for Panthers
Kouandjio, a potential first-round pick, worked out for the Panthers and Bucs, NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt reported, via Twitter. The former Alabama standout has visits/workouts scheduled with seven teams. Despite concerns about Kouandjio's surgically repaired knee that were first reported upon his medical evaluation at the NFL Scouting Combine, Brandt reported Kouandjio will not have to go back to Indianapolis for a medical re-check.

Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State
April 16: Panthers WR coach in Tallahassee
Carolina wide receiver coach Ricky Proehl was in Tallahassee, Fla., on Wednesday, presumably to work out Benjamin (6-foot-5, 240 pounds). The Panthers are in desperate need of wide receivers, and Benjamin certainly would have some appeal to them with the 28th pick. While Benjamin lacked consistency and focus for much of his career at FSU, he became a huge weapon -- literally and figuratively -- in the second half of the 2013 season. He is a matchup nightmare because of his size and certainly wouldn't mind developing into a "Baby Megatron." The Panthers likely will have two or three of the draft's top receivers to choose from at No. 28, if they choose to go that route.

Odell Beckham Jr., WR, LSU
April 15: Top-tier WR works out for Panthers
The Panthers are in dire need of wide receivers and Beckham is one of the best available in this draft. But will he be there at No. 28, when they make their first-round pick? That seems doubtful. The Panthers also worked out Jarvis Landry, who was Beckham's LSU teammate. (Landry had 133 catches to Beckham's 102 and had 15 TD receptions to Beckham's 10 the past two seasons. But Beckham had more yardage -- 1,865 to 1,766). Landry's lack of speed is an issue; he was clocked in 4.77 seconds in the 40 at the combine and was clocked in 4.60 and 4.63 at LSU's pro day. Landry could be a nice third-round pick for the Panthers, even if they nab a receiver in the first round.

Cody Latimer, WR, Indiana
April 7: Latimer has busy month with team meetings
There is a deep pool of wide receivers in this year's draft, and Latimer appears to be one of the fastest-rising prospects at the position. NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt said Latimer already has met with Buffalo, is visited with Philadelphia and has meetings set up with Carolina, Detroit, Oakland, Seattle and San Diego.

Marqise Lee, WR, USC
April 4: Lee will meet with Panthers
Carolina desperately needs wide receivers, and Lee is one of the top five available. The Panthers pick 28th in the first round, and their problem could be that the wide receivers they are targeting could be off the board by the time they pick (Lee, Oregon State's Brandin Cooks and LSU's Odell Beckham would seem to be the second-tier group of receivers, behind Sammy Watkins and Mike Evans). Lee, who has the potential to develop into a No. 1 receiver, also said he will be visiting with the New Orleans Saints, who have far greater needs than a wide receiver in the first round.

April 2: Wyoming trio work out for Panthers
Wyoming wide receiver Robert Herron and quarterback Brett Smith will work out for the Panthers a day after free safety Marqueston Huff will work out for the team, NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt reported

Kony Ealy, DE, Missouri
April 1: Panthers work out Ealy
The Panthers worked Ealy out on the Missouri campus, NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt reported on Twitter. Ealy is the second-rated defensive end on NFL Media draft analyst Mike Mayock's rankings.

Kevin Norwood, WR, Alabama
March 24: Norwood works out for Panthers
Norwood wrote in a draft diary for USA TODAY Sports that he had a workout with the Panthers the day after Alabama's pro day. In what is a deep draft for receivers, Norwood figures to be a late-round pick, but could add much-needed depth to the Panthers' depleted wide receiver corps.

Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State
March 22: Cooks set to visit WR-needy Panthers
Cooks told College Football 24/7 that he is scheduled to visit the Panthers, who recently lost wide receivers Steve Smith and Brandon LaFell to free agency. If the Panthers are looking for someone to replace Smith, Cooks would appear to be a great match. Not only does NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks believe Smith is the best NFL comparison for Cooks, Cooks said he tries to model his game after him. The Panthers' No. 28 pick also fits Cooks' mid- to late-first-round draft projection.

Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood
March 21: Panthers coach works out Desir
Desir is vying to be the first draft pick in Lindenwood history. NFL Media draft analyst Gil Brandt noted that he worked with Panthers secondary coach Steve Wilks at Lindenwood's pro day, then worked out privately for Carolina at day later. Desir was clocked in 4.59 seconds in the 40 at the combine and as fast as 4.52 on his pro day. Desir is raw, but his size makes him an intriguing prospect, likely taken in the third or fourth round.

Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia
March 17: Panthers are first of nine meetings for Moses
Moses will visit Wednesday with the Carolina Panthers as the first of nine scheduled meetings with NFL clubs. NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks projects Moses to be picked by those very Panthers with the No. 28 pick in his latest mock draft. Offensive line is the Panthers' biggest draft area of need, according to NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah.

Mike Campanaro, WR, Wake Forest
March 17: Panthers on hand at Wake Forest pro day
The Panthers got a good look at Campanaro and other Demon Deacon draft prospects at Wake Forest's pro day. Campanaro projects as a slot receiver in the NFL. The Panthers, meanwhile, lost Steve Smith and Ted Ginn in free agency and are on the lookout for pass-catching talent.

Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson
Feb. 24: Backup option for Newton?
Cam Newton is one of only nine quarterbacks to start every game since 2011, but that doesn't mean the Panthers can't consider having a solid fallback option on the depth chart (Newton's current backup is journeyman Derek Anderson). Boyd told reporters at the NFL Scouting Combine that the Panthers were one of 20 teams he talked to, ESPN.com reported.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000324496/article/nfc-south-draft-winds-rumors-connecting-players-nfl-teams

Panthers meet with Indiana WR Cody Latimer for a 3rd time per Latimer's instagram account. They have been showing a lot of interest in Latimer and rumors are starting to swirl that maybe the Panthers reach for Latimer at 28 he is 6'3 215 lbs and impressing a lot of teams in his work outs. I thought they may target him in the 3rd but this is starting to become a real possibility.

Article from catscratchreader with some of the same thoughts.

Staring at ranking tables and draft projections will often skew your view of the NFL draft. They're fun reference materials and ways to organize your thoughts, but too often we see teams believe in a player that falls outside the scope of normal thinking. It happened with E.J. Manuel last year and Bruce Irvin before that, now it could the the Panthers who are charged with "reaching" if they take Cody Latimer at No. 28.

Up to this point Latimer has been seen as a possibility in the second round, but Carolina's interest seems to extend far beyond a second day pick. That's why it's important to break down the receiver from Indiana

What do we know?

It's unclear when the Panthers first became interested in Latimer. He was unable to attend the scouting combine in February due to a foot injury, but met with the organization in early April.

#Panthers WR coach Ricky Proehl + dir. coll scouting Don Gregory will have dinner with Cody Latimer 4/8 and class-room exercise 4/9

— Gil Brandt (@Gil_Brandt) April 6, 2014

Alarm bells should be going off right now. Sure it's wholly possible Indiana was simply one stop in Proehl's tour of wide receivers, but when the director of college scouting is accompanying you -- there's fire, not just smoke. Couple that with a night and day of meetings with the receiver and it's clear there's definite interest.

The Panthers used one of their official meetings to bring Latimer to Charlotte on Tuesday, which almost assuredly means he fulfilled what Proehl and Gregory were looking for in that meeting.

Why Latimer?

Carolina has met with many of the draft's top receivers but it's Latimer who appears to be garnering the most attention. It could be that he's somewhat of a mystery, though the intrigue is likely linked to one of these three factors.

1. Size + Athleticism

Outside of Kelvin Benjamin (who's extremely raw) there aren't many receivers in this year's draft with a combination of size and speed. Prospects tend to fall into one camp or the other, with supporting claims needing to be made off film to justify why their deficiencies aren't there.

Latimer slots in perfectly at 6'3 and his 215 pound frame looks purpose built for the NFL. He's big, strong and can take a hit. He followed this up by running a 4.39 forty at Indiana's pro day and posted a 39" vertical -- both exceeded projections.

2. Latimer's problems are easily solved

I've often said that my personal approach to evaluating wide receivers is largely based on separation and how they get it. My philosophy is that receivers achieve this three ways: Size, speed and route running. Perform one of these at an elite level and you'll be an early draft pick, have two and you'll be a star.

Latimer doesn't jump off the screen in his film for two reasons: Firstly it's unclear if he has the top-end speed to gain separation that way, secondly his route running is a little sloppy. He tends to round out his cuts on short patterns, which will be eaten alive at the NFL level.

That said, Kawann Short never really leaped off the film either. Sure evaluating a receiver against a defensive tackle is dumb, but it's an example of how he was misused at Purdue and the Panthers saw that he could drop weight and become faster.

Proehl should be able to assist with the route running in short order, much the same way he did with Keenan Allen during the pre-draft process last year. If Latimer's speed is better indicated by his time at the Indiana Pro Day then he could become a rare player.

3. It's safe

Watching Latimer you see a guy who probably won't fail at the NFL level. Sure, he may wind up never being anything special -- but the bust potential is pretty low here. Obviously you want an elite top-level receiver if you spend an early pick, but at worst I see him being a mid-tier No. 2.

That's an enticing prospect for a team in dire need of sure things at receiver. The allure of swinging for the fences is strong, but often the picks that don't leap off the page tend to be the right ones.

So, where does he go?

This is the million dollar question. Personally, I don't see a guy who's going to last deep into the second round or even midway through the second round. Draft projections currently have him in the 2-3 round range, but upside and potential are high, paired with immediate impact.

The top level guys will likely go earlier, but as a complete receiver I put Latimer somewhere in the 5-7 range in prospect rankings. As far as I'm concerned it's hard to say Allen Robinson or Jordan Mathews are vastly better than Latimer in similar positions.

Ultimately this leads to the big question: "Could he be the No. 28 pick?"

That all depends on how much the Panthers believe in him, and right now the answer seems to be "a lot."

http://www.catscratchreader.com/2014/4/23/5643014/2014-nfl-draft-cody-latimer-darkhorse-for-the-panthers-pick

Edited by panthergf

I don't know how Latimer's stock is rising going from a 3rd round prospect to talks getting picked up the 1st. He's a mid a round pick in my opinion and has good value there. I wouldn't grab him in the 1st or 2nd round. He's a good pick in the 3rd round but I would still want the Eagles to get other prospects at round 3. He'd be a steal in round 4 and that is more than likely to never happen. So I guess what I'm saying is that I don't mind the Eagles passing on him lol but he's still a solid WR. I really want Allen Robinson in the 2nd round or if he's gone Davante Adams. Adams is a beast imo. Wins a lot of jump balls, catches a lot of balls period (receptions), great hands, and outstanding after the catch. He breaks a lot of tackles being a physical runner and he has moves to make guys miss. I have a really good vibe about him.

• Upvote 1

I agree I feel like its a reach but I believe its a real high possibility I think if you bring a guy in for 3 visits and a dinner with the college scouts director there is a lot more then smoke going on. I think he is a second round possibility if someone doesn't reach for him in the first.

S Charles Godfrey takes 4.25M pay cut to stay with the team and help the cap situation.

As Panthers General Manager Dave Gettleman begins to remake the team in his own image, a lot of the guys who got contracts from the old G.M. are getting pay-cuts.

The latest is safety Charles Godfrey. According to Field Yates of ESPN.com, Godfrey has taken a massive pay cut, dropping his base salary from $5 million to $750,000. He can still make $1.7 million of it back in per-game bonuses.

The deal was a no-brainer on several levels, primarily because Godfrey has no leverage after tearing his Achilles last year and then watching the team bring inThomas DeCoud and Roman Harper.

Like running backs DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart, Godfrey chose to stay for less, and his decision created around $4 million worth of cap space for the Panthers, which they needed.

The one wild card in this situation that could benefit Godfrey is their lack of depth at cornerback. He played there at Iowa before converting to safety, and there’s some thought inside the building that he could play as a nickel back after the departure of Captain Munnerlyn.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/06/charles-godfrey-takes-a-big-pay-cut-to-stay-with-panthers/

Got the guy I was wanting at 28 so I am very happy here is a highlight video of our new WR Kelvin Benjamin FSU and highlights from Gettleman's Press Conference on the pick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a40ym4QZBGk

Also check out Black & Blue Reviews page dedicated to breaking down Benjamin a lot off awesome info on our new WR here is the link

http://blackandbluereview.com/28th-pick-nfl-draft-panthers-select-wr-kelvin-benjamin/

The Panthers had a positional need and they addressed it. Benjamin should be a nice big target and a security blanket for Cam. Cam never had a big receiver like him before with a catch radius like his so it's going to be interesting to see them play together. I think the Panthers still need to address another receiver in later rounds though.

• Upvote 1

The Panthers had a positional need and they addressed it. Benjamin should be a nice big target and a security blanket for Cam. Cam never had a big receiver like him before with a catch radius like his so it's going to be interesting to see them play together. I think the Panthers still need to address another receiver in later rounds though.

Changes the whole dynamic of our offense the fans of the Panthers that wanted a LT are having a hard time wrapping there heads around it. Tampa is going to be huge at WR while New Orleans is sticking to there format by replacing Sproles. I can think though we now got Benjamin then to compliment him a 6'5 TE pass catcher in Olsen, add in Dickson for two TE sets our running game and redzone back in Tolbert.

Also with one of the biggest QB's in the league and mobile to boot, now if we can get some o-line help that can play this year and possibly one more WR out of this draft a speedster which we could get in the 2nd round if we double up. I think this changes the offense a lot. As much as I wish we had Smitty with Benjamin and he was still here I am very very happy with this pick.

Other fans are already embracing it, already dubbed him Optimus Prime lol and hash tags like #allaboutthebenjamins

Edited by panthergf

Final thoughts on our draft especially two picks :panthers:

1. Kelvin Benjamin WR

2. Kony Ealy, DE <--- Pick 1

3. Trai Turner, OG

4. Tre Boston, S

5. Bene Benwikere, CB

6. Tyler Gaffney, RB <--- Pick 2

UDFA

Alex Means, LB, Air Force

Andrew Norwell, OG, Ohio State

Carrington Byndom, CB, Texas

Cody Stroud, QB, McNeese State

Cory Brown, WR, Ohio State

Darrin Reaves, WR, UAB

David Foucault, OG/OT, Carabins (Montreal)

Denicos Allen, LB, Michigan State

Jared Wheeler, OG/C, Miami

Marcus Lucas, WR, Missouri

Shaq Rowell, DT, West Virginia

While I can't say I am overly pleased with this draft including on the last day of the draft. I am happy with most of the picks though. Here are some picks I liked, I loved the Benjamin pick up he is who I wanted all off-season so I am glad we finally got some size at our WR's though I am disappointed they didn't take two out of this draft which I felt they needed but Benjamin is a great upgrade to the group we brought in through free agency and our young guys in McNutt and King.

I liked the Trai Turner pick up we needed O-line help and Guard was one of the positions we needed to address and we did with this kid who should come in and be able to step right in at guard and as plenty of the talking heads had he stayed in school he could have been a late 1st round talent next year. Hes big & mean looks like a great upgrade on the O-line also a much smaller injury history. Even though I am surprised we took OG instead of OT.

Bene Benwikere is another I like now I like the player and pick up but I hated they gave up our 7th to trade up to get him given our holes. Reminds me a lot of how Mike Mitchell played and this was a huge position of need so we finally added two secondary players to hopefully sure up our secondary some. Tre Boston I am ok with this not overly happy because there were others there I wanted and felt this was a little of a reach at the point he was taken but he must have been high up on the BPA if they took him there and it also fills another need.

Now the two picks I wasn't real thrilled about and don't get me wrong I like the players we got but like most of us wasn't happy we past up needs. Ealy was a huge pick up late in the second to make our D-line stronger but Morgan Moses even Allen Robinson were sitting right there. If we could have left the draft with getting both Benjamin and Moses I been pretty happy. Now Ealy is a steal at 28 in the 2nd when he was projected into the 1st round which more then likely means come next off-season if Hardy signs long term this year then Charles Johnson is probably going to be moved traded/cut but for this year our D-line is going to be stout again.

The other pick was Tyler Gaffney the RB from Stanford with our last pick. I believe after sitting and thinking I understand there reasoning, hes a good blocking and power downhill kinda back and with Stewart so injury prone we can plug him in to fill that void should it happen again this year instead of relying on just DeAngelo like we did last year when Stew was out. It was a good value if we were going RB late him, Storm Johnson, and George Atikinson were guys I liked but we added Barner last year now Gaffney this year and Stew & Williams aren't going anywhere so we just continue to crowd that backfield and it keeps me scratching my head including when we could have added a WR or late round OT like James Hurst.

Overall I thought we got great value in picks but didn't do so great at filling all our needs we still needed a OT, OLB, another WR. We did fill some needs and I am going to give blind faith and trust there evaluation of these kids. Now I complained last year we didn't fill needs and got players in positions I didn't think we needed and it turned out well so maybe BPA will workout again this year.

I have hopes for a couple of the UDFA we picked up to make the roster Cory Brown could be a PR/KR specialist and Marcus Lucas should he make the team could develop into another big target for Cam. I was surprised Denicos Allen went undrafted and hope he makes the roster because we need a back up OLB.

Edited by panthergf
  • Upvote 1

Its been a little slow since the draft outside of the stuff with Hardy which seems to be quieting down. I did find these two articles interesting the first originally started because of a tweet from our WR coach Ricky Proehl who suggested the possibility of bringing in the old crew he played with in St. Louis to work with our WR at Training Camp who used to be known as "The Greatest Show On Turf". Holt, Bruce, & Hakim are the ones Proehl is talking about bringing in.

My personal opinion this is a great idea to let our young guys like King, McNutt, Benjamin even the UDFA and lower roster young talent get to work and pick these guys brains. I think it could benefit these young guys quite a bit to have those guys around including with so much uncertainty and unknown at what our WR group can actually do this season.

The next piece was on NFL.COM this morning on the main page, they listed several possible Summer trade possibilities going into camp and one move in particular I have been interested in since the draft happened. This article had us listed as possible landing spots for a trade involving QB Christian Ponder and WR Danarius Moore which both don't sound too appealing at this moment. The other spot though given a glaring hole in our LT spot caught my eye that they mentioned and I had thought about this once the draft was over so it was nice to see it brought up by NFL writers.

The other person they had us as a potential landing spot for was LT Michael Roos from the Titans, with them drafting a OT the possibility of this trade peaked my interest because with the additions of Roos we could at the very least move forward with a proven veteran LT and fill a glaring hole. The only problem is Roos contract he is owed 6 million this season and I think we are under 5 million in cap room. The only way this could happen is to trade someone to free up that room or Roos take a paycut to make the trade possible.

I for one wouldn't mind this trade because it would fill that need to get us through this season with someone proven at that position though I would prefer a younger talent I am not confident that talent is on the roster right now Roos wouldn't be a long term solution but another bandage to get us through these rough cap problems until we can draft a LT next year or one emerges from what we have. Here are those articles

The St. Louis Rams had one of the most prolific offenses in NFL history from 1999 to 2001. Wide receivers Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt, Az-Zahir Hakim and Ricky Proehl, along with the running back Marshall Faulk and triggerman Kurt Warner, were so dynamic that they became known as "The Greatest Show On Turf.''

Proehl, now the wide receivers coach of the Carolina Panthers, is planning a reunion.

Sort of.

Proehl, according to his Twitter account, wants to bring Holt, Bruce and Hakim to training camp in Spartanburg, S.C., to help develop his new receiving corps. Here's what he wrote:
"The Greatest Show on Turf'' was awesome, setting all kinds of league records with Mike Martz attack-oriented offense that scored 500-plus points in three consecutive seasons.

Proehl isn't trying to reincarnate that. The Panthers still plan to run a more conservative, ball-control offense.

But he wants to pull on the experience the Rams receivers had when they all came together in 1999 as he replaces the top four receivers from last season.

Perhaps he even sees the similarities the 1999 Rams receivers have with what the Panthers are building.

In Holt, St. Louis had a 22-year-old rookie that burst onto the scene with 53 catches for 788 yards and six touchdowns. That could be Kelvin Benjamin, the 28th pick of the recent NFL draft, for Carolina.

In Bruce, the Rams had a 26-year-old veteran that already had been selected to one Pro Bowl. The Panthers don't have a Pro Bowler, but they do have a couple of proven veterans in Jason Avant, 31, and Jerricho Cotchery, 31.

In Hakim, the Rams had a second-year player who had shown glimpses of potential but done little. That could be Tiquan Underwood, Brenton Bersin, Marvin McNutt or Tavarres King for the Panthers.

In Proehl, the Rams had a 31-year-old journeyman known for his precise route running and ability to make clutch catches. Avant and Cotchery probably would fall more into that category for Carolina.

The Rams went from 4-12 in 1998 to 13-3 and Super Bowl champions in 1999.

The latter is what Proehl ultimately would like to duplicate.

He hopes reuniting "The Greatest Show On Turf''' can help jumpstart that process.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/55444/could-greatest-show-on-turf-come-to-carolina

While compiling the rosters for Around The League's Projected Starters series, we noticed several players squeezed out of their team's plans since the end of the 2013 season.
Although most of the offseason wheeling and dealing occurs early in free agency or during the draft, it's not unusual for a training camp trade to go down.
Since Monday is the unofficial start of summer, here's our list of 10 candidates to change uniforms in July or August.
1. Christian Ponder, QB, Vikings: The Vikings have brought back Matt Cassel, drafted Teddy Bridgewater as the quarterback of the future and declined Ponder's 2015 option. So why are they prepared to waste first-team reps on a quarterback who has fallen out of their plans? The logical inference is an attempt to rebuild some semblance of trade value. Ponder still offers higher upside than the average NFL backup. Former offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave is now the Eagles quarterbacks coach. Former quarterbacks coach Craig Johnson is now the Giants running backs coach.
Potential landing spots: Saints, Packers, Panthers, Falcons
2. Ryan Mallett, QB, Patriots: Mallett has been connected to the Texans and former offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien since early March, with speculation growing especially feverish during draft weekend. Patriots coach Bill Belichick recently insisted he's not that interested in dealing Mallett, which is another way of inviting prospective suitors to raise their offers. If second-round pick Jimmy Garoppolo looks ready for prime time in training camp, a Mallett trade remains possible.
Potential landing spots: Texans, Cowboys
3. Brandon Flowers, CB, Chiefs: One year after Flowers boasted that Kansas City could be home to the NFL's best secondary, the organization is reportedly open to dealing the veteran cornerback, who proved to be a poor scheme fit in Bob Sutton's defense. Flowers' $5.25 million salary is a stumbling block. Two of his three former coordinators are out of the league, and the third is the new Texans defensive boss.
Potential landing spots: Texans, Titans, Colts
4. Michael Roos, OT, Titans: When the Titans surprisingly selected Taylor Lewan at No. 11 overall, speculation immediately surfaced that Roos would hit the trading block. Roos, 31, is set to earn over $6 million in the final year of a six-year, $43 million deal as the anchor of Tennessee's offensive line. Much like the Flowers situation, his salary is an obstacle to a trade.
Potential landing spots: Panthers, Ravens
5. Brandon Graham, DE/LB, Eagles: Finally healthy in 2012, Graham showed promise as a disruptive pass rusher only to be held to under 30 percent of the defensive snaps in Billy Davis' ill-fitting 3-4 defense last season. The 2010 first-round draft pick has the talent to be a bargain pickup for a team with a 4-3 defense. The Eagles have been open to moving Graham for quite awhile now.
Potential landing spots: Falcons, Buccaneers, Seahawks, Patriots, Bengals
6. Dion Jordan, DE/LB, Dolphins: Jordan has been connected to Graham in trade talks that reportedly went nowhere between the Eagles and Dolphins. Whether it's true or not, there is persistent speculation in league circles that Jordan is available for the right price because new general manager Dennis Hickey doesn't value him nearly as high as former boss Jeff Ireland did. It doesn't help that Jordan remains without an obvious position in the Dolphins' 4-3 defense.
Potential landing spots: Eagles, Colts, Jets, Saints, Titans
7. Derrick Morgan, DE, Titans: A prototypical 4-3 defensive end, Morgan is stuck in no man's land in Ray Horton's 3-4 defense. The 2010 first-round pick is penciled in at outside linebacker, a position he's never played before. The Titans have gone on to sign Shaun Phillips and restructure Kamerion Wimbley's contract, leaving Morgan's status up in the air. Much like Graham, he could be a bargain acquisition for a team with a 4-3 scheme. He went to college in Atlanta, and the Falcons just happen to need a pass rusher.
Potential landing spots: Falcons, Buccaneers, Seahawks, Patriots, Bengals
8. LaMichael James, RB, 49ers: Left out of the 49ers' running back rotation even before the arrivals of Carlos Hyde and a relatively healthy Marcus Lattimore, James has seemingly been on the trading block for a year now. We suspect he hasn't been moved because no team is willing to part with a mid- to late-round draft pick for an underwhelming scatback. He did star at Oregon under Eagles coach Chip Kelly.
Potential landing spots: Eagles, Cowboys
9. Rob Housler, TE, Cardinals: A speedy pass-catching specialist, Housler is underutilized in Bruce Arians' offense, which favors blocking specialists at tight end. As a contract year player who has not met expectations in Arizona, Housler should be available for the right price. New Giants coordinator Ben McAdoo is believed to be seeking a tight end with Housler's skill set.
Potential landing spots: Giants, Patriots, Falcons, Chiefs, Bills
10. Denarius Moore, WR, Raiders: Plagued by inconsistency since flashing major playmaking ability in his rookie training camp, Moore appeared to fall out of favor with the Raiders' coaching staff last season. Now that the team has signed James Jones and claimed Greg Little off waivers, tough cuts will have to be made in late August. Receiver-needy teams should be sniffing around on Moore as he enters the final year of his rookie deal. Unfortunately, two of the teams most in need of a deep threat (Chargers, Chiefs) are division rivals.
Potential landing spots: Browns, Chargers, Chiefs, Jets, Panthers

Edited by panthergf

Moore sounds like a pretty solid acquisition for the right price. Would easily become a starter in Carolina. Roos would be too much a cost, IMO, as a year-rental band-aid at LT.

Moore sounds like a pretty solid acquisition for the right price. Would easily become a starter in Carolina. Roos would be too much a cost, IMO, as a year-rental band-aid at LT.

He would have to take a pay cut more then likely for that trade to work anyways, but I wouldn't mind it I think it be better for Cam's backside then Bell.

5799_Train%20derailment_ff13aa_4431331.g

We all knew it wasn't going to end well.... was just a matter of time.