Dutch

Are the 49ers the new Eagles of this decade?

29 members have voted

1. 1. Will the 49ers win a Superbowl in the next 2 years?

• Yes
    • No - Eagles 2.0
    • They have the talent but I'm not sure.

First off, I'd like to tip my hat to Jim Harbaugh. He may annoy some people with his antics (not me personally) but he's done a heck of a job turning that organization around into a winning franchise. The 49ers are an elite team; arguably the 2nd best team in the NFL. They have been on the cusp of a Superbowl for 3 seasons now. With the type of success they've had, they are expected to win a Superbowl.

This is very reminiscent like and turning into the situation of the Eagles last decade having a lot of success* but not winning it all. The Eagles went to 3 NFC Championship games in a row then a Superbowl berth (then another NFCCG 4 years later). The 49ers are closely following that mold being to two NFC Championship appearances and a Superbowl berth (actually getting to the Superbowl earlier).

The question is now, when will they actually win it if so at all? What is everyone's thoughts on the 49ers? Will they win a Superbowl in the next 2 years? What do they need to do to get over the hump?

Edited by Dutch
  • Upvote 1

Kaepernick is hit or miss, and that will be their downfall. Alex Smith was the key behind getting to AND winning a super bowl.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Kaepernick is hit or miss, and that will be their downfall. Alex Smith was the key behind getting to AND winning a super bowl.

I agree. Kaep is a dynamic play maker but does seem to be hit or miss. He's very inconsistent as a passer. My gut kind of tells me they may be an Eagles 2.0 (even though they are more talented) but I don't want to doubt a team with this much talent. I think for them to get over the hump, they need to be more efficient on the offensive side of the ball and that starts and ends with Kaepernick. He needs to be more consistent for them to win.

Edited by dutchff7

There is so much going on with Kapernick & Harbaugh in the last year or so with distractions very recently with Kapernick so I dunno. They do got the talent you don't go to these NFC Championship games they have and not have a good roster. They have done a great job at piling up draft picks through trades to make sure they keep an abundance of young talent rotating in every year on there roster and enough to trade and gain more picks for each draft.

They have been managed and coached well. The thing is its going to rely on Kapernick. He has done really well in his first couple seasons there but at times hes not done as well and looked like every other rookie QB. I am trying to be as unbiased as possible because personally I hate Kapernick. Nothing specific he has done on the field, not even for beating us in Charlotte but for the way he carries himself off the field. I listened to people complain about how Cam carried himself for two years, then watch Kapernick it just gets under my skin.

In any case they got a really good shot. The NFC West is becoming a much tougher division to compete in with Arizona doing well and then you got Seattle which I think adds into there chance's. If I had to compare how they have ran things thus far it's a lot like how the Patriot's have continued to stay good. Gaining a bunch of picks and keeping good young talent on the roster because Harbaugh has a eye for talent but in a much tougher division then the Patriots are in.

I say it rely's on a couple things can relations between there GM & Harbaugh continue to stay good without any more crazy stories like them trying to trade there coach to the Browns. How much Kapernick improves or if he eventually takes a step back. Also how they handle there aging talent with Gore, Willis, there older WR when it comes time to replace them, and how they fix there secondary.

To tell the truth if Kapernick & Harbaugh were to ever split and Harbaugh go somewhere else I think you see a huge decline in Kapernick's production because I feel like its partly the system they run he does so well and because Harbaugh is so good with QB's and knows how to manage them so well just like how you seen Alex Smith finally thrive once Harbaugh got his hands on him.

Edited by panthergf
  • Upvote 1

Alex Smith was not the key and Kaep has a better shot at being the key than he did. With the game on the line I'm more comfortable with Kaep making a play than Smith. Mind as long as they can keep dominating both sides of the trenches like they do most qbs would succeed. Wonderful job they did in San fran. As for the thread I feel like they are too good not too win. But i'm sure bills fans felt the same way.

Edit I thought for sure they would of made a play for Desean. they could really use that speed and I could see them going WR at the bottom of the first.

Edited by monstersofthemidway
  • Upvote 1

Well, I think winning a Super Bowl requires a little bit of luck. The fact that they've made the NFCCG 3 years in a row speaks volumes about how well the organization has been run.

I mean, let's look at Baltimore, for example: they rode Flacco and his absurdly hot arm and won a Super Bowl. However, they "should've" lost to Denver in the divisional round but miraculously tied the score on a one-in-a-hundred hail mary attempt at the end of the game. (What on earth was Denver's safety doing on that play?) Anyway, their magical run could've stopped dead it's tracks right then and there.

The point I'm trying to make is that, it's easy to look at the Eagles/49ers/Bills or Kaepernick/McNabb/Kelly or Harbaugh/Reid/Levy and assign a "can't win the big game" label. On the other hand, Flacco and (John) Harbaugh are both considered proven winners. But, those two would be in the same boat if it weren't for a prayer-of-a-pass at the end of the Denver game. A little luck and good fortune can go a long way.

My guess is San Fran won't win a Super Bowl in the next few years, not because I don't think they're capable, but just simply because of probability.

By the way... I'm a Niners fan, but I truly have no resentment or ill-will against the Ravens. I'm not bitter about the Super Bowl loss, and I'm not trying to take away their accomplishment whatsoever with this post. Just merely using them as an example.

Edited by EarthwormJimHarbaugh

Well, I think winning a Super Bowl requires a little bit of luck. The fact that they've made the NFCCG 3 years in a row speaks volumes about how well the organization has been run.

I mean, let's look at Baltimore, for example: they rode Flacco and his absurdly hot arm and won a Super Bowl. However, they "should've" lost to Denver in the divisional round but miraculously tied the score on a one-in-a-hundred hail mary attempt at the end of the game. (What on earth was Denver's safety doing on that play?) Anyway, their magical run could've stopped dead it's tracks right then and there.

The point I'm trying to make is that, it's easy to look at the Eagles/49ers/Bills or Kaepernick/McNabb/Kelly or Harbaugh/Reid/Levy and assign a "can't win the big game" label. On the other hand, Flacco and (John) Harbaugh are both considered proven winners. But, those two would be in the same boat if it weren't for a prayer-of-a-pass at the end of the Denver game. A little luck and good fortune can go a long way.

My guess is San Fran won't win a Super Bowl in the next few years, not because I don't think they're capable, but just simply because of probability.

By the way... I'm a Niners fan, but I truly have no resentment or ill-will against the Ravens. I'm not bitter about the Super Bowl loss, and I'm not trying to take away their accomplishment whatsoever with this post. Just merely using them as an example.

Welcome to the boards and I do agree, luck does play a part in winning a Superbowl. The Giants two Superbowls are also proof of getting hot at the right time. And don't get me started on the Ravens because the Denver game was complete luck. However though, during the course of those teams road to the Superbowl, there were crucial moments when the players had to step up and make a great play. Those Superbowl winning teams did that. That pivotal moment where a play had to be made and it was and luck wasn't a factor. I do believe that luck does play a part but I don't believe probability and luck dictates the entire road to a Lombardi trophy. Teams step up in crunch time, take the opportunity and capitalize with great plays. I think teams that win the Lombardi deserve the recognition more than luck and the teams that are great (at the right time) take control of their destiny.

Edited by dutchff7

The thing that plagued the Eagles is they lost a lot of NFCCGs that, in hindsight, they certainly could have won. While the Bucs defense was legendary the year they beat us, a terrible pick six from McNabb really killed it. The following year, the loss to the Panthers was an embarrassment. You could argue the same for the Cardinals game a few years later.

The 49ers, on the other hand, are playing at a tough time in the NFC. They've got the Seahawks in their own division, and we all know how good the Packers can be with Aaron Rodgers. So until they start underachieving, they're not totally comparable to the Eagles.

• Upvote 1

Defensively, the 49ers have it right.

Offensively, the 49ers have it right.

The only person holding them back is Kaepernick. He turns the ball over, and his decision making is questionable at best.

He is not the entire blame for the 49ers noy winning a SB...but he is the QB that everyone thought would be better than Smith, when in hindsight...

If the 49ers had Smith still, I don't think you'd see the ball getting turned over as much...or seeing a ball thrown directly at Richard Sherman on a go to the SB or bust play.

Edited by ATL

Alex will limit your turnovers but also limit your play making as well. I think it evens out in the end. I don't think not having Alex Smith is the reason they haven't won the big game. Which QB has actually made it to the Super Bowl anyway?

• Upvote 1

The Chiefs had a fair shot, but losing all your running backs and best defensive players will lose you games. I still can't believe the Colts came back from that game. The Smith 49ers also had a shot if it wasn't for Kyle "Where's the ball" Wiilliams.

I am tired of people saying this on here. Do a lot of you actually believe this?

Kaep is overrated by the general public at large, but if Alex Smith is behind center against the Seahawks, the Niners are stomped into oblivion. This is of course putting aside the fact that they dont get past Green Bay.

The only reason they were in the game was because of Kaep's legs, and while Smith is more mobile than people realize, he does not have Kaep's speed.

Smith can run AND throw. Kaep has trouble with the throwing part. Smith can be clutch and make plays too. See: Saints vs. 49ers in divisional. He was a muffed punt away from a SB.

That Saints vs 49ers game was one of the best playoff games I've seen in a very long time. Instant classic.

That Saints vs 49ers game was one of the best playoff games I've seen in a very long time. Instant classic.

Agreed. One of the best games I've ever seen. The 49ers defense was the whole rave, but Alex Smith finally showed up and proved the 49ers were more than a defense team. Whenever someone says Kaep is better than Smith when it matters (Playoffs) I point to that game.

Alex Smith didn't have to face the teeth of a nasty Seattle defense in the playoffs AT Seattle. He went against the Saints. My grandmum could have thrown on that Saints defense.

And when Smith played the 'Hawks in the regular season in Seattle, they got blown the fuck out- and they would have again in the playoffs. The Niners are knocked out by GB in the first round if Smith is behind center, probably in the 2nd by Carolina if by some miracle they got past GB, and most definitely would have had zero chance whatsoever against Seattle.

You are way overrating Smith after two good playoff showings against TERRIBLE defenses.

• Upvote 1

The only reason they were in the game was because of Kaep's legs, and while Smith is more mobile than people realize, he does not have Kaep's speed.

and then he had 3 fourth quarter turnovers that kept them from winning, the Smith v. Kaep debate is really easy: do you want someone who's consistently good or someone who's incredibly erratic but gives you more explosive plays, on average I think the two QBs are very similar, but Smith stays far closer to that average

There's a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong history of Alex Smith being mediocre and inconsistent.

Alex Smith is the poster boy of inconsistency, and therefore would not be a better option then Kaep. Not now, and not in the future.

There's a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong history of Alex Smith being mediocre and inconsistent.

Alex Smith is the poster boy of inconsistency, and therefore would not be a better option then Kaep. Not now, and not in the future.

History < What have you done for me lately

• Upvote 1

No. History = Identity

Alex Smith has, and forever will be inconsistent. Last year was no different.

Players create new identities as their careers move on all the time. Whether it's from experience getting better, new coaches, schemes / systems.

Its a waste of your time to try to prove otherwise when literally this past season his inconsistencies that have plagued him his whole career reared its head again. Multiple times.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

I'm talking about your statement in general. History doesn't = identity because players can change their identity by either becoming a better player or getting worse.

I think it's safe to say that we can all agree here that the problem QB play?

If we're having to discuss who would do what in hypothetical situations...then that's an indicator that something is not right currently...because you shouldn't have to bring up past QB's to make current QB's look good. Not saying that's what is happening here.

I'm just saying the 49ers would be wise to invest in a QB that will play efficiently. Not a gunslinger, Not an Andy Dalton...but someone who can get the job done in an effective, timely, low risk manner.

Sorry had to share this came across my twitter feed a minute ago lol

28qusz8.jpg

• Upvote 1