Dutch

Are the 49ers the new Eagles of this decade?

29 members have voted

1. 1. Will the 49ers win a Superbowl in the next 2 years?

• Yes
    • No - Eagles 2.0
    • They have the talent but I'm not sure.

Except a trip to the NFCCG after beating the failcons and eventually the superbowl that year. The 49ers have carried Kap to doing more already than matty "ice" has.

Also, FTFY

*half the game also it was all Julio. Then you guys were shut out in the 2nd half completely. Zero points against

Sorry, but can't count Mike Smiths inability to playcall after he gets a big lead against Ryan. Pretty sure we only passed the ball like 6 or 7 times in the second half entirely lol.

Entire 2nd half was a cluster-fuck.

49ers should be thankful the Falcons can't keep leads and can't play physical football.

49ers defense and ball control offense bailed their ass out, not Kaepernick.

• Upvote 1

Right its the defense that's killed you in the playoffs. Remember that time when you scored 2 points... and that was the defense? Matty "Ice" is anything but in the playoffs.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Right its the defense that's killed you in the playoffs. Remember that time when you scored 2 points... and that was the defense? Matty "Ice" is anything but in the playoffs.

I believe we were talking about the 49ers NFCCG in 2012, nice try though.

Pretty sure the inability for people to actually read posts is getting quite annoying.

Please, read again:

And as a side note, not sure what the deal is with bashing on Ryan. I've been one of the biggest critics of him because of his ability to blow games when it comes down to him throwing the football... But... He's done his job in the playoffs and elevated his game when called for, it's the defense that killed us in 2012, NOT Matt Ryan. So maybe know what you're talking about before you start calling out other teams

Some key points here:

Talking about 2012.

Ryan stepped up in 2012 as called for after previous failures

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So he elevated his play in the playoffs for 1 year and thats supposed to somehow erase the garbage game he had against Green Bay at home?and Thantos also mentioned the offensive performance he put up against the g men. Ironic how you wanna talk about Kaep not leading them anywhere when your own QB best game in playoffs happens to be the game that send the 49ers to the superbowl.

Edited by monstersofthemidway

Now, why don't we steer this conversation back towards the 49ers and why they aren't going to get a Super Bowl ring with him behind center. (Sorry 49ers fans, you're team is ridiculously good, and Kaepernick is holding you back just as Smith was)

How many times have we watched Vernon Davis wide open down field, yet Kaepernick not see him? He doesn't see the whole field like the elite guys in the league do. (Brees, Rodgers, Manning) Kaepernick seems to decide who hes going to throw to before he even snaps the football a lot of the time. He has a first and second read, if they don't look good then he runs the ball. He rarely if ever goes to his third or fourth reads on the field.

Great quarterbacks make decisions during plays, not before.

He's inaccurate, I think I covered this one already though. There were only THREE quarterbacks that were less accurate that Kaepernick last year - Terrelle Pryor, Geno Smith, and Eli Manning (Of QBs with OVER 600 snaps). His 54.9% completion was the worst among all of the quarterbacks in the playoffs last year. What if he didn't have Boldin and Crabtree to throw to (Not to mention Davis). Would he be able to complete 50%? What if he had to throw to smaller, less dynamic receivers that don't really have that drive to fight for the ball and go for inaccurate passes?

If Kaepernick can't complete more than 60% of his passes this season with the addition of Stevie Johnson, there's a huge issue going on with him and his ability to soak up information and improve like other quarterbacks in the league have done.

I know a couple of 49er fans that are on here will greatly disagree with the fact that they can't win with Kaepernick, but I think there are a lot more fans in San Francisco that agree with my notion rather than disagree.

Don't get this twisted though, Kaepernick is a fantastic talent, but he's not a good passer.

• Upvote 1

So he elevated his play in the playoffs for 1 year and thats supposed to somehow erase the garbage game he had against Green Bay at home and Thantos also mentioned the offensive performance he put up against the g men.

Read. He was absolutely garbage, that's what I'm trying to say.. He blows games when it needs to be all on him. But again, you don't read, so how would you know what I'm saying about Matt Ryan. Derp.

The only comment I made about Ryan is that he elevated his play when the owner, coach, fans, and critics in the media all said he had to. He did that, the team was a cluster fuck around him. Not sure how much more clear I can be about my opinion. If you're just going to be a broken record, I'm not sure what you want me to comment on.

I hate that Matt Ryan was a complete failure in the playoffs. Can't complain about him now though because he didn't blow that one.

And obviously, no one here remembers my Matt Ryan outbursts when he cost us all those playoff games in the past.

Edited by Rain Man

Kaepernick can definitely win a Superbowl with the Niners. To say otherwise is just ludicrous.

Kaepernick Gabbert can definitely win a Superbowl with the Niners. To say otherwise is just ludicrous.

Fixed.

Fixed.

Gabbert wont beat Seattle, dont make me laugh.

The Kaep hate on these boards is ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

Because once a team figures Kaep out, he becomes the weak link. A QB cannot be the weak link on a powerhouse team. It will only cause failure.

• Upvote 2

It's not Kaep hate. He's got an amazing ceiling. He'll never reach it though because he hasn't even shown the ability to get better yet. You can't have 2 looks on plays where you can stand int he pocket for 7 seconds. You better be looking at all of the field, not just your two big guys. Kaepernick is too fluttery. Much more, he needs to throw the ball better. I think I already went over that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's not Kaep hate. He's got an amazing ceiling. He'll never reach it though because he hasn't even shown the ability to get better yet. You can't have 2 looks on plays where you can stand int he pocket for 7 seconds. You better be looking at all of the field, not just your two big guys. Kaepernick is too fluttery. Much more, he needs to throw the ball better. I think I already went over that.

You've determined he'll never get better only having one full season and 7 games under his belt?

Edited by Dutch
  • Upvote 2

He's had one and a half years as a starting QB, lol.

At this point, I would say Matt Ryan isnt going to lead the Falcons to anything before I say Kaep wont.

Are you guys seriously sitting there and telling me Kaep isn't capable of doing something that a QB who is far worse than him did, oh I don't know, TWO FUCKING YEARS AGO.

Joe Flacco has consistently had average, (ranked 14-18th) numbers, and then goes on a playoff spree the likes of which probably surprised him as much as anyone else, and lo and behold, the Ravens win the Superbowl.

Baltimore's defense is not San Francisco's rofl. You guys are ridiculous sometimes.

Edited by Thanatos19

I think the true litmus test for Kaep comes this season. Yes, he was a 1-2 look, pass sort of player in 2013. But one can argue that for most of the season, there were only 2 guys worth looking at (Davis and Boldin). I'm not making an excuse for him, because great receivers make lesser players look better, but 2014 will be more telling. Heck, a lot of the time in 2013 Boldin was the only receiver on the field to even look at. After him, the next highest WR snap count went to Kyle Williams who saw the field 32% of the time.

Davis and Boldin are now joined by a fully healthy Crabtree (who played less than 25% of the snaps in 2013), Stevie Johnson, and one of my favorite rookies in Bruce Ellington. Plus Quinton Patton and Vance McDonald have a season of experience under their belts now. If Kaep doesn't show ability to go through progressions this season, it's likely because he's not developing. But I can envision a situation where more viable targets get on the field and he looks much better in that regard.

Edited by KempBolt

You've determined he'll never get better only having one full season and 7 games under his belt?

I did not say that he wouldn't get better. Seeing how a players ceiling would be their top level of play... What I said is that he hasn't yet shown imrovement, and I PERSONALLY, don't think he's going to commit himself to that level of improvement. All the talent in the world, he's a fantastic ATHLETE, not so much on the QB side for me.

He's had one and a half years as a starting QB, lol.

At this point, I would say Matt Ryan isnt going to lead the Falcons to anything before I say Kaep wont.

Are you guys seriously sitting there and telling me Kaep isn't capable of doing something that a QB who is far worse than him did, oh I don't know, TWO FUCKING YEARS AGO.

Joe Flacco has consistently had average, (ranked 14-18th) numbers, and then goes on a playoff spree the likes of which probably surprised him as much as anyone else, and lo and behold, the Ravens win the Superbowl.

Baltimore's defense is not San Francisco's rofl. You guys are ridiculous sometimes.

Joe Flacco reads plays at the line before the snap and goes through his progressions.

Kaepernick doesn't evaluate plays until after the snap, or at least if he does he's not very good at it at all.

I did not say that he wouldn't get better. Seeing how a players ceiling would be their top level of play... What I said is that he hasn't yet shown imrovement, and I PERSONALLY, don't think he's going to commit himself to that level of improvement. All the talent in the world, he's a fantastic ATHLETE, not so much on the QB side for me.

So you can determine a player won't ever reach their ceiling with such a small sample size of only 23 games? Not even two full seasons?

• Upvote 1

So you can determine a player won't ever reach their ceiling with such a small sample size of only 23 games? Not even two full seasons?

Flip the switch. What makes you believe that he's going to be some great player with such a small sample size?

He had opportunity to maximize his potential against the Ravens. A rather weak team overall...and he did everything but impress or show that he's going to be some great QB.

Flip the switch. What makes you believe that he's going to be some great player with such a small sample size?

He had opportunity to maximize his potential against the Ravens. A rather weak team overall...and he did everything but impress or show that he's going to be some great QB.

I haven't been in this thread all the way through, so is anyone saying that he will definitely improve? What I'm seeing is more of a "it's too early to close the door" mindset. Which it is.

• Upvote 1

Kemp basically took the words out my mouth. It's too small of a sample size to go in either direction in my opinion. I'll make my claim after he's started another full season and then I can fairly evaluate him and say if he's regressed, progressed or is stagnant in his development stage.

Your comment about the Ravens though I disagree with. In no way were they a weak team overall. They weren't special in the regular season but they played hard in the playoffs. You can't put much stock into the regular season. The last two Giants Superbowl wins showed us that. All you have to do is make the playoffs and get hot at the right time. The Ravens made the playoffs and elevated the level of their game (especially after firing Cam Cameron). They got lucky in the Broncos game but they still fought in every single playoff game and beat some good quality teams. It's not easy beating the Patriots in the playoffs @ Gilette holding them only to 13 points. The Ravens rose up at the right time and shouldn't be discredited for how they performed even if they aren't good now. They stepped up when it counted.

Edited by Dutch

I haven't been in this thread all the way through, so is anyone saying that he will definitely improve? What I'm seeing is more of a "it's too early to close the door" mindset. Which it is.

The comment was that I didn't feel like he was going to get close to his ceiling of play. Everyone took it as me saying that he isn't going to get better at all.

So no, no one said he wasn't going to get better specifically. I just don't see it happening. The first half a season, I can understand the 1-2 look reads. Near the end of last season though, he should have been looking down field longer before he took off. I don't really think he's the type of guy you fix that with. I can explain why too, he KNOWS he's one of the most athletic players on the field every time he goes out so he knows if he takes off he'll be tough to stop. That's a problem, because when you face top defenses, they will catch you and they will figure out your game.

It's the exact same problem that Mike Vick had when he was with the Falcons. When you are so explosive and talented moving the football with your legs, you become complacent with the fact that no one can get a handle on you. He's a mirror image of Vick's early career. It's amazing to watch and certainly he's got all the talent in the world, but I see him following the path of complacency when it comes to throwing the football.

He's not going to reach his ceiling without assessing plays at the LOS before the snap of the football, which he has failed to do up to this point.

What I'm basically saying is that he's either going to get ridiculously good, or he's going to be that exciting playmaker that sells tickets and takes his team down the stretch only to lay way to better quarterbacks on opposing teams.

On a side note, small sample size or not, it's my opinion. The great thing about opinions is they are just that. YOu don't have to agree with them or disagree with them. When I watch Kaepernick, I see the same nostalgia over him for the 49ers that I watched with Vick. Having plenty of friends that are 9er fans, I also know the pains in their heads they will feel as they move forward with Kaepernick from here on out.

Edited by Rain Man

Well it appears that the consensus is saying that it's Kaepernick holding back the 49ers from winning it all. I honestly believe if you put another young QB like Cam Newton or Andrew Luck on the 49ers, they'd win the Superbowl in my opinion. Kaepernick is explosive but needs to demonstrate more consistency and develop more as a passer especially with his progression reads.