Dutch

Are the 49ers the new Eagles of this decade?

29 members have voted

1. 1. Will the 49ers win a Superbowl in the next 2 years?

• Yes
    • No - Eagles 2.0
    • They have the talent but I'm not sure.

Andrew Luck would not win the 49ers a super bowl. Alex Smith might, Russell Wilson would, Luck isn't there yet.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Wait, so you believe Alex Smith is in more of a position to take a team to the playoffs than Andrew Luck? Please, elaborate.

Alex Smith is more concerned about himself losing the game for his team, than he is winning the game for his team. If you understand what I am saying. He's the rare case where he's not going to lose the game, but few and far between will he take you out and win it for you. That's not a bad thing at all, but I would take Luck before I would take Smith. I suppose it's a conversation for another time though.

Andrew Luck shouldn't get credit for sinking a team and then bringing them back from the brink. That style of play will not work against the best teams. Sure you can beat the Jags and Titans and Browns of the world like that, but it won't win you the super bowl. Being a game manager has worked for QB's before with great teams around them, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Baby Tom Brady, etc which is why I say Alex Smith who is crafted in that same mold might have won with the 49ers.

Sure you can beat the Jags and Titans and Browns of the world like that

In the same group as the Jags and the Browns?

Have we really reached that point?

tumblr_m83o5b2FDt1r8cf9s.gif

Andrew Luck shouldn't get credit for sinking a team and then bringing them back from the brink. That style of play will not work against the best teams. Sure you can beat the Jags and Titans and Browns of the world like that, but it won't win you the super bowl. Being a game manager has worked for QB's before with great teams around them, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Baby Tom Brady, etc which is why I say Alex Smith who is crafted in that same mold might have won with the 49ers.

I'm not disagreeing with you on that point for Luck. I've always been the biggest believer that while Luck can be great at times, he's generally been the reason that the Colts always need to make those comeback wins we see so often from them. (I think there was actually a thread about that at one point).

I'm not sure I would want to take Alex Smith over Luck though. That's an extremely tough call to me. I'm almost positive I would take Luck over Smith right now.

This is simply not true. The only game that happened in was the playoffs against the Chiefs. I've already disproved that false notion/perception of Luck (http://www.thegridironpalace.com/forums/index.php?/topic/65876-lets-put-this-to-bed-give-me-andrew-luck/). That was the false perception his rookie season. That doesn't even apply to what happened last season outside that 1 game in the playoffs. False perception is false.

• Upvote 1

Will the 49ers win a Super Bowl in the next two years? Due to their talent, they have a very good chance. It will be tough since they play in the NFC's toughest division and the salary cap, but they have a very good chance.

What do they need to do to 'get over the hump'? Finish. This is easy to say, but extremely difficult to do. Plenty of teams have come within a play or two of winning a Super Bowl. Earnest Byner, Scott Norwood, Neil O'Donnell... one player or play can swing a season. That's what makes Al Pacino's 'inches' speech so great; it's true. The 49ers are no exception to this. If Kyle Williams knows how to field punts the 49ers could have a ring already. If they ground and pound from first and goal on the four vs. the Ravens they almost certainly do. If Kaep makes a better throw or if Wilson doesn't make a better one, they could have a ring already. They need to stick to and trust their system. Probability suggests that they can't blow it every time.

The three biggest variables which San Francisco's Super Bowl chances hinge on:

1. Kaepernick improving as a passer. He's a lethal runner. Add a more accurate arm/smarter decision making skills and it makes the 49ers hypothetically unbeatable.

2. Home field advantage (or at least not playing at the CLink).

3. Marcus Lattimore turning into a viable RB/young Frank Gore. Not to discredit Gore, but if Lattimore becomes a quality RB (even of the Willie Parker variety) then it plays to the 49ers strength (ball control), buys them cap space (should they release Gore) and basically resets their 'title window'.

• Upvote 1

Has it happened now? And what do people think about Kaepernick now? Stick a fork in him or is he still capable of leading this team to a Lombardi?

Edited by Dutch

98% certainty now. Unless they can somehow hire a Jed York yesman who can actually coach up an aging defense and get a QB who can actually develop.

Has it happened now? And what do people think about Kaepernick now? Stick a fork in him or is he still capable of leading this team to a Lombardi?

Tough to say. Although I think a good offense-minded coach like Kyle Shanahan could turn Kaep's career back in the right direction.

The three biggest variables which San Francisco's Super Bowl chances hinge on:

1. Kaepernick improving as a passer. He's a lethal runner. Add a more accurate arm/smarter decision making skills and it makes the 49ers hypothetically unbeatable.

2. Home field advantage (or at least not playing at the CLink).

3. Marcus Lattimore turning into a viable RB/young Frank Gore. Not to discredit Gore, but if Lattimore becomes a quality RB (even of the Willie Parker variety) then it plays to the 49ers strength (ball control), buys them cap space (should they release Gore) and basically resets their 'title window'.

Good synopsis.

#1. Horrible regression. The likelihood that Kaepernick ever becomes a functional passer is more in doubt than ever. I don't see him being the leader necessary to lead a team. I don't see him advancing his passing skills in the slightest.

#2. That field is horrible. The crowd is horrible. Awww OOOOO! It's like FedEx field without the rowdy fans. Arizona has a better home field advantage and that's saying something. Maybe they need new pamphlets to tell their fans to get loud on defense.

#3. Lattimore retired. Hyde is not Gore. Should get some cap relief with Smith retiring and the expected loss of Iupati.

Seems that time and age have come for their pound of flesh. Injuries to key older vets and attrition of their older players is coming to a head. San Fransisco is on the verge of paying dearly for bad drafts in the last 3 years. Personally, I felt like Baalke was a complete chump who made his bones off the efforts of his predecessor and his coach. We will see in short order if that's the case now.

Last year it seemed they were still primed to matter. As of now it looks like they are on the edge of the abyss and could be in for a 5-7 year rebuild. I could see a rebound next year if injuries don't hit them as hard. But I don't expect them to be contending for division titles anytime the rest of this decade. By the time they get righted, they'll be contending with the Rams who if they get an acceptable QB will be the scariest team in this division.

• Upvote 1

I don't know if the comparison is appropriate anymore. Both teams had a strong run of NFCCG's with a SB appearance, obviously. But the Andy Reid era ended almost ten years later still without a Super Bowl (for many, many reasons), whereas the Jim Harbaugh era ended because of a power struggle. We'll never know what the 49ers would have accomplished if they kept Harbs around for another 5+ years.