SteVo

Knights of Andreas: General Info Thread

Now that it's over, a few quick hits on planning/writing the series:

• The beginning of Part V: I always planned on a big shocker to start the season. My first plan was a Maverick trade out of nowhere. As you all know I instead foreshadowed that only to shift gears to Rose's release. The initial idea there was actually to have Rose die in a car crash after being released, bit I felt that was a bit much.
  • Planning the final seasons: My first outline was to do seven seasons in total, with the 6th unfolding as it basically did (earthquake and undefeated season), then the 7th would be flashback-heavy (as Part VI ended up being) and involve the Knights on a bizarre losing streak that got Phillips fired. I never got too far into this idea, ultimately deciding to combine everything into a jam-packed 6th season.
  • The end: I knew a big part of the ending of KoA would be the resolution of the Schneider/Phillips tension. My first idea was Phillips pairing with Javad to "take down" Schneider somehow, but I came to see that as a little cheesy, and not a proper end to the series. So, we instead got the compromise that actually happened.
  • Random ideas that never made it into the text or got cut: a chapter where the team holds a skills competition to boost morale, a storyline where Brock tests positive for cocaine, a flashback where Bishop (playing at FSU) coaches up his teammates' confidence

tldr

Edited by BC
  • Downvote 1

On 12/26/2019 at 4:10 PM, SteVo said:

:ninja:

Why are we bumping this? Could it be you're going to continue it?

• Downvote 1

my post was sarcastic for laughs thanatos you dumb fuckin fuckbag

7 hours ago, BC said:

my post was sarcastic for laughs thanatos you dumb fuckin fuckbag

I wasn't replying to you, son. You're a very angry little pepperoni man.

• Downvote 1

1vcwa4.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 12/28/2019 at 1:47 PM, Thanatos said:

Why are we bumping this? Could it be you're going to continue it?

Maybe.

Ok, in all seriousness, I am considering bringing this back for a temporary run. It would be very short, 6-8 chapters, and essentially just a deeper look at the epilogue of the series. But it would follow the Knights throughout a season (probably 2020) like past seasons have.

As a writer, I would love to revisit these characters again, get in their heads, visualize the Knights taking the field, hear the Farmers Field crowd roar, see locker room banter, watch Phillips and Schneider go back and forth. I have some plot ideas, and have had some since I published the last chapter.

But I'll only go forward with it if y'all are interested. I feel satisfied with how KoA ended and am more than happy to leave it at that. What say you?

As someone who started writing a series of fanfictions based off of a dumb joke on stream, just go for it. You know you want to. Eat the forbidden apple you leg having bitch.

• Upvote 1

One advantage of Covid-19 forcing me to spend a lot of time at home?

More time spent writing.

(Vin, fire up that SOON picture again.)

• Upvote 2

So who's ready to visit a world where Covid-19 doesn't happen and the 2020 NFL season will undoubtedly start on time?

My plan is to roll this out some time this summer so that it's over before the real-life season starts (if it does). As I mentioned before, this is a quality-over-quantity approach. The current outline is 7 chapters, and I'd be shocked if it ends up more than 8. By 2020 there are only a few of our characters still on the Knights anyway, so that allows for a deeper, more character-driven approach than in the past.

I'm also trying to get the word count down. Near the end of Part VI I was pushing 6,000 words with each chapter. I'm going for the 4500-5500 range this time around.

So, hang in there, everyone. I'll once again ask Vin for fire up the SOON picture, even though he did it a few posts back...

@Vin @Maverick  @BigBen07 @theMileHighGuy @Thanatos @BradyFan81 @Zack_of_Steel @Cherry @RazorStar @seanbrock @Sarge

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1vcwa4.jpg

• Like 1

Hey everyone, a few miscellaneous updates regarding writing, and mostly good news:

• For the last few weeks, I was worried I would have to tell you all there would be no more KoA. I had a beginning and an end to this new story, but no middle. I couldn't connect it all. This morning, one good brainstorming session later, the middle has been found. So I can now confirm...
  • Knights of Andreas WILL return for exactly eight chapters. This will not officially be Part VII; I'm considering it more of an extended epilogue that will follow the Knights through the 2020 season. It will be titled, "Four Years Later."
  • Only 5 original characters are still on the team by this time (Mav, D-Jam, Grodd, Zack, Randall), so this will be a much more character-focused KoA than we've read in years' past. That said, the characters who are no longer on the Knights may still find ways to enter the story.
  • I'm targeting mid/late July for the debut, which means a trailer of sorts should be hitting this thread shortly. Stay tuned...

@Vin @Maverick  @BigBen07 @Thanatos @BradyFan81 @Turry @Zack_of_Steel @Cherry @seanbrock @RazorStar @JetsFan4Life @Sarge @DalaiLama4Ever

Edited by SteVo
  • Upvote 1

QUESTION: Would you guys prefer me post the chapters during late summer before the NFL season starts, or in September/October while the NFL is going on? (Keep in mind, Covid very well could cancel or postpone the real season.)

Whenever you feel most comfortable posting em man. Take the time you need with the process. 

• Upvote 1

I concur with Cherry. You cannot rush greatness.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, guys. I definitely want to have everything written and edited so it'll be as epic as possible when I publish it. I've been writing like crazy, so I should have some more tidbits SOON.

soon.jpg

• Upvote 1

The Oakland Raiders become the Los Angeles Knights. Despite a shaky rebuild and a head-coaching change, a last place roster grows into an elite football team, and the Knights win a Super Bowl in their fifth season. Two years later, they cement their place in NFL lore with a perfect 19-0 season, months before losing their head coach to cancer.

FOUR YEARS LATER

Despite following up their undefeated season with another championship, there is discontent in Los Angeles. Consecutive seasons without a Super Bowl appearance have left Knights fans unsettled. An offseason with the most roster turnover in ten years gives fans hope—though their patience won’t last.

Ron McKenzie mourns the man whose shoes he fills every day. Chet Ripka is a popular fan target for his job as defensive coordinator, but he has graver concerns. Jonathan Maverick, Da’Jamiroquai Jefferspin-Wilkes, Chase Grodd, Briggs Randall, and Zack Grantzinger balance football and family, with the end of their careers closer than the beginning. Adam Javad handles a situation that weaves his personal and professional lives. For Chance Phillips, promotion and termination feel equally likely.

AUGUST 2

Brief writing milestone/update: I now have rough drafts for all eight chapters (some more polished than others). So, I will make sure every chapter is exactly how I want it before being published, which I'm very excited about.

I hope you all are staying safe, and I look forward to giving you a little escape back into the KoAverse in 2 weeks and change.

• Upvote 2

One week from now, you will all have new KoA to read. Happy times! Once again, it'll be a quick stretch: eight chapters. No teasers. However, since it's been so long, I put together a character guide/recap to familiarize everyone before "Four Years Later" begins.

• Johnathan Maverick remains an elite quarterback, which keeps the Knights an elite team, despite various issues at other positions. In 2019, he marries Trisha Harden. In 2020, he signs an extension that makes him the highest paid player in football at the time.
  • Marcus Jameson remains an offensive cornerstone for the Knights through 2019. In 2020, he is surprisingly released and signed by the Steelers.
  • Jerome Jaxson bounces around the league—first as a running back, then as a kick returner. In 2020, he signs a one-year deal with the Buccaneers.
  • Da’Jamiroquai “D-Jam” Jefferspin-Wilkes remains one of football’s best receivers—and one of its most prolific trash-talkers. In 2018, he converts to Buddhism in an effort to preserve his body and lengthen his career. As of 2020, his yards and receptions have decreased while touchdowns have remained consistent.
  • Joseph Watson enjoys inconsistent success as the Knights slot receiver. In 2020, he is released and signed by the Panthers.
  • Alex Johnson plays a few years for the Packers before being released amid injury (and age) concerns. When training camp opens in 2020, he is still unsigned.
  • Logan Bishop signs with the Jaguars. As of 2020, he is one of the more reliable players on Jacksonville’s roster, an elite run-blocker and a threat after the catch.
  • Chase Grodd becomes the only elite offensive linemen on the Knights roster and establishes himself as one of the best guards in football. In 2020, facing a contract year, he endures an offseason ripe with trade rumors but remains a Knight. Without a new contract, he holds out from OTAs, training camp, and the preseason.
  • Brian Penner resists coaching overtures—as well as his own itch to play again—and enjoys retirement. As of 2020, he is living in Minnesota with his family.
  • Sam Luck enjoys a productive contract year with the Knights in 2017, then signs a lucrative free-agent deal with the Colts. As of 2020, he is a productive edge rusher in their defense and a borderline Pro Bowler.
  • Zack Grantzinger signs a mega-extension in 2017. He wins Defensive Player of the Year in 2018. In the Knights’ new 4-3 defense, he alternates snaps between defensive end and strong-side linebacker. As of 2020, he is still a top 10 non-quarterback in the league and showing no signs of aging.
  • Briggs Randall remains one of the league’s best middle linebackers and smartest defensive players. He is a finalist for Defensive Player of the Year in 2017 and 2019. He receives a contract extension ahead of the 2020 season.
  • Marlon Martin signs with the Broncos in 2017, plays one season, then retires. He resists multiple offers to play as a special teams captain and remains retired through the 2020 season.
  • Sean Brock plays for the Bengals for two seasons, then the Eagles for one, before leaving football for political reasons. Current whereabouts unknown.
  • Malik Rose continues playing for the Chargers, enjoying bi-annual battles with D-Jam against the Knights. In 2020, his contract expires, and he signs a one-year deal with the Lions.
  • Griswold “Flash” Johnson signs a large contract with the Lions. As of 2020, he is no longer an elite athlete but still one of the league’s best safeties.
  • Robert Schwinn signs with the Texans and becomes an underrated part of a strong defense. As of 2020, he is entering a contract year.
  • Merle Harden dies a legend, known as one of the best and most unique defensive minds in the game and one of the most fiercest leaders. He is survived by wife Melinda, daughter Trisha, and pet dog Bowser.
  • Ron McKenzie assumes the head coach position after Merle Harden’s death. A winning culture already established, he settles into the role naturally, though he struggles to connect with his players the way Harden did. He is considered by fans a good-not-great coach reaping the benefits of a top-5 organization.
  • Chet Ripka silences critics by proving a capable defensive coordinator. His greatest strength is his ability not to over-coach, and to let the Knights’ defensive talent run itself. During the 2020 offseason, he is rumored as a possible future head coach, though he receives no interview offers. As of 2020, he has been Hall of Fame eligible (as a player) for three years and has not gotten in.
  • Chance Phillips remains an elite general manager. Though fans sometimes criticize him for not making splashy moves, he maintains a competitive roster without salary cap complications.
  • Wayne Schneider succeeds in keeping a second team from Los Angeles, helping move the Rams to Las Vegas and keep the Chargers in San Diego. As of 2020, he is one of the league’s most respected owners.
  • Adam Javad is hired at the Los Angeles Times and gains the respect of his colleagues and the teams he covers, though his football coverage truly carries his career.
  • Caden Daniel becomes the Packers’ offensive coordinator. His presence creates both resurgence and conflict in Green Bay, clashing with head coach Mike McCarthy. In 2019, McCarthy is fired and Daniel becomes the Packers’ head coach. He leads the Packers to an NFC Championship appearance in his first season.

@Sarge @DalaiLama4Ever @GA_Eagle @JetsFan4Life @BwareDWare94 @Maverick  @BigBen07 @Bangy @theMileHighGuy @Vin @BradyFan81 @Turry @Zack_of_Steel @seanbrock @Cherry @RazorStar @ATL_Predator @DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F @FartWaffles

• Upvote 2

Aw yiss.