SteVo

Gas in the tank, money in the bank

• Elite Prime+
  • 24,393 posts
  • NCAA Team(s): USF Bulls
  • NFL Team: Eagles

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:19 PM

Ok guys, so I have some temporarily bad news... :blink:

I am delaying publication of the next chapter for one week. I am doing this because, as everyone knows, we are approaching the final batch of KoA chapters and I want to make sure the ending is as good as I can possibly make it. Things at school have been hectic lately, but spring break is in 2 weeks, which will give me more than enough time to finish everything. Next Friday, April 7th, the weekly publication schedule resumes until the end.

Posted Image
Posted Image
DMacforHOF still has it.

I'm not going to be part of the wine and cheese pseudo intellectual crowd. 

#742 SteVo

SteVo

• Elite Prime+
  • 24,393 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 11:07 AM

Since we were delayed a week, I'll post the teaser a day early. Remember, we have two regular-season chapters left, and the Knights have already clinched the West, so the playoff chapters will commence on a game-by-game basis. After the end of the season, whenever it is, we get two extra chapters, one of which will be an epilogue.

Oh, and in case the final line of the previous chapter didn't make it obvious: we're officially in the KoA end game now, folks. Buckle up.

Teaser:

Spoiler

Standings:

Spoiler

Posted Image
Posted Image
DMacforHOF still has it.

#743 SteVo

SteVo

• Elite Prime+
  • 24,393 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:39 PM

Regular-season finale time! The Knights have clinched the division, so we've got playoff football on deck, but this chapter should be fun regardless.

Teaser:

Spoiler

Standings:

Spoiler

Posted Image
Posted Image
DMacforHOF still has it.

#744 SteVo

SteVo

• Elite Prime+
  • 24,393 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:06 PM

Onto the playoffs we go! Reminder: playoff chapters progress one game at a time, but whenever the Knights season ends, we get two additional chapters: a concluding, wrap-it-up chapter and an epilogue.

Teaser:

Spoiler

Final Standings & Playoff Seeds:

Spoiler

Posted Image
Posted Image
DMacforHOF still has it.

#745 SteVo

SteVo

• Elite Prime+
  • 24,393 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:28 PM

Here's this week's teaser, if it can even be called that. I'm withholding the Knights' AFCCG opponent, so you won't know until Friday. :D

Spoiler

Posted Image
Posted Image
DMacforHOF still has it.

#746 SteVo

SteVo

• Elite Prime+
  • 24,393 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 03:24 PM

POPULAR

Well, folks, this is it. We've been with the Knights for over six seasons (seven, technically), but here we are, on the home stretch.

We've seen two earthquakes, a 7-2 team collapse to miss the playoffs, a 3-5 team catch fire and make a Super Bowl run, a player-staged intervention for an alcoholic coach, a players-only meeting, a three-month injury to our starting quarterback, a head-coach firing, multiple coordinator changes, and most recently, an undefeated regular season. We've experienced both sides of blowouts, close games, controversial finishes, the agony of a Super Bowl defeat, the thrill of a Super Bowl victory.

For the record, we have four chapters left:

• Pre-SB chapter
  • Super Bowl LI
  • Post-SB chapter
  • Epilogue

I believe these final four, collectively, are the end of Knights of Andreas. If you're looking for an all-encompassing, "series finale" chapter, you're not going to get it (though the post-SB chapter is close).

So these chapters will go live the next four Fridays, and 25 days from today, the final chapter of KoA gets posted. I'm abandoning the formal teasers, as there's not much I would tease beyond word count. For this week I will simply say that the pre-SB chapter is titled "Last Words."

Once again, thank you all for sticking through to the end. It has been a pleasure.

Edited by SteVo, 01 May 2017 - 04:29 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
DMacforHOF still has it.

#747 SteVo

SteVo

• Elite Prime+
  • 24,393 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:05 AM

Only two chapters left! This Friday is really the last traditional chapter before the epilogue, during which we'll see players clean out their lockers and say goodbyes, some for good, plus one last Phillips/Schneider showdown. The chapter will take us close to the end of the offseason, and the epilogue will take over as the 2017 season begins.

Posted Image
Posted Image
DMacforHOF still has it.

#748 SteVo

SteVo

• Elite Prime+
  • 24,393 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:05 PM

It's stunning to me that the journey has finally come to an end, but here we are. This Friday is the last KoA chapter ever (unless I decide to revisit this someday), the epilogue.

I'm still working on it, but in terms of word count, it should be shorter than the average chapter. And it will essentially be split into two sections: a year-by-year summary of the Knights--key offseason moves, season record, etc., followed by a character-by-character breakdown of their lives after the 2016 season.

Posted Image
Posted Image
DMacforHOF still has it.

#749 SteVo

SteVo

• Elite Prime+
  • 24,393 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:22 AM

Update: forget what I said about word count. The epilogue will fit right in with the latter half of Part VI, somewhere between 5,500 and 6,000 words. :D

Posted Image
Posted Image
DMacforHOF still has it.

#750 SteVo

SteVo

• Elite Prime+
  • 24,393 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:44 PM

Well, I've just finished editing the epilogue. KoA is officially done, from my perspective. It feels very bittersweet, though I'd be lying if I didn't say I felt relieved.

I thought I would commemorate the end of our three-plus-year journey with some factoids about the series as a whole. First, some statistics:

• Total Word Count: 388,678
  • Average Word Count: 4,798 words per chapter
  • Longest Chapter: (tie) The Battle of San Andreas, Treatment - 6,433 words
  • Shortest Chapter: Face of the Franchise - 2,458 words

And two fun facts:

• The KoA narrative followed six football seasons, during which the Knights' total record was 70-35-1.
  • The first and last Knights wins in KoA were thanks to a goal-line stand by the defense.

Posted Image
Posted Image
DMacforHOF still has it.

#751 SteVo

SteVo

• Elite Prime+
  • 24,393 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 02:27 PM

Now that it's over, a few quick hits on planning/writing the series:

• The beginning of Part V: I always planned on a big shocker to start the season. My first plan was a Maverick trade out of nowhere. As you all know I instead foreshadowed that only to shift gears to Rose's release. The initial idea there was actually to have Rose die in a car crash after being released, bit I felt that was a bit much.
  • Planning the final seasons: My first outline was to do seven seasons in total, with the 6th unfolding as it basically did (earthquake and undefeated season), then the 7th would be flashback-heavy (as Part VI ended up being) and involve the Knights on a bizarre losing streak that got Phillips fired. I never got too far into this idea, ultimately deciding to combine everything into a jam-packed 6th season.
  • The end: I knew a big part of the ending of KoA would be the resolution of the Schneider/Phillips tension. My first idea was Phillips pairing with Javad to "take down" Schneider somehow, but I came to see that as a little cheesy, and not a proper end to the series. So, we instead got the compromise that actually happened.
  • Random ideas that never made it into the text or got cut: a chapter where the team holds a skills competition to boost morale, a storyline where Brock tests positive for cocaine, a flashback where Bishop (playing at FSU) coaches up his teammates' confidence

Posted Image
Posted Image
DMacforHOF still has it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users