Dutch

Which QB has the most to prove this season?

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB has the most to prove?

• Matt Schaub
    • Andy Dalton
    • Eli Manning
    • Jake Locker
    • RG3
    • Tony Romo
    • Ryan Tannehill
    • Joe Flacco
    • Sam Braford
    • E.J Manuel
    • Nick Foles
    • Colin Kaepernick

There are a few QB's that I'd love to pick especially Andy Dalton having issues in the playoffs considering the great team around him, but I'm going to have to go Jake Locker here. He has done virtually nothing since he's been in the NFL and he can't stay on the field. They have a new HC over there in Wisenhunt who's a good coach. I think this will be Locker's last chance to impress and fight for his starting job. Honestly, I think they may even draft a QB in the first round.

Edited by Dutch

Andy Dalton has to prove he's worth a roster spot. By all means the Bengals could probably make the playoffs with Cholly at QB with the amount of talent they have. However the window is closing fast enough, they aren't keeping around all of their awesome players for long.

• Upvote 1

I'm going to go with Sam Bradford.

There's many viable choices for this...but Bradford has consistently been hurt for the Rams. The Rams have the prime opportunity to take a QB at some point in this draft..but they believe in him.

The talent on the Rams roster is there, offensively, and defensively. Some holes along the offensive line and in the secondary...but for the most part, the Rams have put some great pieces around Bradford.

There's no reason why he can't get the job done, being in the NFCW is no excuse. He needs to put up some numbers, otherwise if I'm the Rams GM..I'm taking a good long look at the 2015 QB class.

Contract year for Dalton. This is gonna either give him 20 mil a year and a playoff win or he is gonna walk and end up as a mediocre starter for the rest of his career. Boom or bust, Andy, boom or bust.

Unless Dalton has a super bowl winning run in Joe Flacco-like fashion, he's not even digging around anything close to $20 million.

As far as the question at hand, I'd say the QB with the most on his plate is Nick Foles. He had a really nice year in 2013, but if he doesn't follow it up with a matching hand this year, he could easily go back to obscurity. I'd that happens, it's possible he never starts again without the aid of the guy in front of him going down with an injury. The rest of these guys will most likely still be starting somewhere regardless of how this season plays out.

I suppose Locker could be in the same boat, but seeing that he hasn't really done anything, he has less to lose than Foles. Foles is the starter of a playoff team from the most over- televised division in football. If he can keep Philly relevant, he and Chip will both be very rich hero - like figures in Philly.

That's a good list and you can make a case for all of them but I voted for Sam Bradford.

I like Bradford, I think he has a good skill set for a traditional pocket passer. But he he has had trouble staying healthy and even though he has not had a good situation with the Rams in terms of supporting cast his production has been underwhelming. I think this year he has to deliver or the Rams will be forced to look in a different direction.

This will be the year which determines the direction of the rest of Bradford's career IMO.

Honestly, I thought about it some more and going back to my initial decision of Andy Dalton. Regular season stat padder but blows in the playoffs with a perfectly capable team offensively and definitely defensively that could go deep in the playoffs if they had a quality QB. Has to prove he IS there guy especially considering it's his contract. Jack Locker is just... :yao:

I'll base this off the Rams word that Sam Bradford is still the man there. They have a ton of money tied up in him and the team is playoff ready with good QB play. They have the chance to really make some noise in this draft and could land a potential franchise QB at #2, but are willing to pass on that chance for him.

Dalton is pretty meh, but he has at least made the playoffs.

It has to be Sam Bradford. He has done literally nothing but shown promise and gotten hurt. We don't know how or if he'll be able to make it to the playoffs in a brutal division. Dalton's done more in the NFL with fewer opportunities, even though many doubt he'll ever win a playoff game.

Really don't think we'll be able to see how good Bradford can be till he has at least one good target. He's really not had much to work with in St. Louis.

• Upvote 1

Really don't think we'll be able to see how good Bradford can be till he has at least one good target. He's really not had much to work with in St. Louis.

Neither has Tom Brady or Drew Brees...no excuse for them.

• Downvote 1

Bradford looks scared out there, imo. Someone else may have brought it up already.

• Upvote 1

Neither has Tom Brady or Drew Brees...no excuse for them.

Brees has had Marques Colston who has had 6/8 1000 yard seasons and the only reason in those two seasons he didn't hit the 1k milestone was due to injury. Colston is so underrated. When Brady was winning superbowls, their defense was elite. Still an all time great though.

It has to be Andy Dalton.

There are a few QB's that I'd love to pick especially Andy Dalton having issues in the playoffs considering the great team around him, but I'm going to have to go Jake Locker here. He has done virtually nothing since he's been in the NFL and he can't stay on the field. They have a new HC over there in Wisenhunt who's a good coach. I think this will be Locker's last chance to impress and fight for his starting job. Honestly, I think they may even draft a QB in the first round.

I agree with Bradford, but there is one that you left off your list who I thought dropped of a bit last season and that is Colin Kaepernick.

If he doesn't turn it around this year it might be uncomfortable for him in the next off season.

Blaine Gabbert. He has to prove that he's actually worthy of an NFL roster spot and win the 49ers backup job.

Talk about a lot of work for him.

Bradford looks scared out there, imo. Someone else may have brought it up already.

That was probably me. After watching the Citizen Kane of QBs who are shook under pressure I've developed a good eye for this. Bradford is nowhere near as bad as Gabbert was when it came to operating in a muddy pocket, but he is a guy that needs things to go all as planned to succeed.

These are high maintenance QBs. They need consistently great protection and WRs who get open. Obviously everyone is worse with bad protection and WRs who aren't getting open but some guys just turn to shit or their production drops dramatically in these circumstances. I think it's safe to say Bradford is one of those QBs. Has he had great WRs to throw to? Absolutely not. But when his protection is even just below average he has no answer. The good QBs have an answer for this usually. They get the ball out quicker, or they have a keen sense of the bodies around them and move in the pocket either laterally or vertically, or they'll extend the play with their feet and ability to break arm tackles; Bradford does none of these.

He's a real solid QB when everything is going as planned. The only problem is in the NFL things rarely go as planned. Hence his moments of promise but ultimately very inconsistent and disappointing resume.

For me it's Flacco. Dude went from winning a superbowl in his contract year to being mediocre and not making the playoffs. Baring Boldin he has virtually the same offence that he won a ring with and really has to prove that he is worth the big money he got for it. Personally I don't think that will happen and I could see in the next year or two with Flacco getting the same type of heat Romo gets year in year out.

it's gotta be Jake Locker, the guy's going into the last year of his rookie deal and has shown flashes of brillance but an inability to stay on the field, if he doesn't stay healthy then he's not on a roster next year but if he does well enough he could be in line for a solid contract this offseason

Similar sentiment as oochymp, forget losing a starter role, Locker is probably the most likely to be out of the league in a year or 2 if he doesn't prove himself this season. Everyone else on this list is either early enough in their career or has shown enough to at the very least be a backup for a number of years to come. If Locker can't finish out a season and do it well he's done.

It's got to be Joe Flacco for me. After getting the huge contract and then having a disappointing season last year he needs to prove he is worthy of the cash he is making.

I just added Colin Kaepernick. With the new deal, having one of the best receiving cores (the addition of Stevie Johnson) and talented offenses in the league, on top of having an elite defense, the pressure is definitely on Kaepernick to deliver in my opinion. He has all the tools to win a Superbowl and is expected to develop and step up this season and deliver a team that's been on the cusp of winning a Lombardi for the past 3 years.

This is a Sophie's choice between Bradford and Dalton.

Bradford has to prove he's a durable and even consistent option as an NFL QB. The Rams are loaded from the RGIII trade. They have the potential to be the next great team.

Dalton has to prove he's the type of QB that can make/win a Super Bowl. The Bengals window for a title has been open since they drafted Dalton. While they've failed as a team, Dalton's shortcomings as a QB haven't elevated Cincinnati.

The only reason I would choose Bradford over Dalton is as such: the Bengals are unlikely to move on from Dalton (even if he never develops past 'game manager' status). There are simply not better options, be it age or talent wise. They're more or less stuck with Dalton and being the lesser Marty/Norv Chargers if he can't play better.

The Rams can absolutely move on from Bradford because they haven't broken through as a team yet. So ditching him doesn't leave any 'what if?' scenarios.

Dalton has to prove he's not a poor man's Philip Rivers/Alex Smith. Bradford has to prove he's an NFL QB.

Since the Rams could be a special team with the right QB, Bradford has more to lose.

Edited by Cobresol
  • Upvote 2