Sign in to follow this  
CampinWithaMissingPerson

QB Hand size vs Height: Draft Value

Jeff Mathews is gonna do things.

It is all pretty logical from a theoretical standpoint. The part you mentioned about QBs throwing through lanes and not over lineman is the key. Because a QB is throwing through a lane, the ones with less ball control (smaller hands) are effective when they are mobile because outside of the pocket the lanes are much more clear.

Now in practice I don't trust any type of value system when it comes to the draft besides old-fashioned film evaluation, but height to me is a marginal advantage. As you said it shouldn't be valued as much as it is, but at the end of the day in certain situations having a higher trajectory is helpful especially in a league where they have finally taught the non-pass rushing lineman to just just up and block passing lanes.

Just to be clear I only wrote the very end of this post from the "--------------" and below, as well as use the guy's formula to make the table. But yeah, I thought obviously it was very on point. :yep:

Also @ Vin, Mathews #3 overall let's do this. :rock:

I think hand size does a better job of saying who's worse then who's better. Granted, bigger hand size can help a ton with accuracy, especially in adverse weather conditions.

Also, Mr. Savage doesn't have hands... He has catcher mitts attached to his wrists.

Just to be clear I only wrote the very end of this post from the "--------------" and below, as well as use the guy's formula to make the table. But yeah, I thought obviously it was very on point. :yep:

Also @ Vin, Mathews #3 overall let's do this. :rock:

:megusta:

Nice work dude.

Doesn't Logan Thomas have chronic accuracy issues yet by the graphic, he has the biggest hands...?

Perhaps he is just raw and needs a decent QB coach to help him with throwing mechanics.

Nice work dude.

Doesn't Logan Thomas have chronic accuracy issues yet by the graphic, he has the biggest hands...?

Perhaps he is just raw and needs a decent QB coach to help him with throwing mechanics.

This

Nice work dude.

Yeah like butta55 said. Also if you look at who Thomas had around him last year it was all freshman/sophomores who had no idea where to to go, what routes to run, that entire team was a travesty. It's still just an excuse though, and Thomas wasn't good enough to overcome that so he's obviously not that great of a player yet. But this is pointing out he's the best piece of clay to mold if you grab him in the middle to late rounds. That's why whoever it was that drafted Thomas in the mock draft game here I congratulated the value he got. If I'm gonna pick up a day 3 QB give me the guy with rare physical measureables so I can coach him up and see what can possibly come of him. If he doesn't pan out oh well it's just a day 3 pick, those don't pan out at a good % rate anyways.

Really nice information and post. Put Brock Jensen on the list... :p Hall of Famer if I have ever seen one. +1 for OP.

Really nice information and post. Put Brock Jensen on the list... :p Hall of Famer if I have ever seen one. +1 for OP.

I can't find his hand size, if anyone does from a reputable source I'll enter him in. :yep:

Edited by CampinWithGoatSampson

Nice work dude.

Yeah like butta55 said. Also if you look at who Thomas had around him last year it was all freshman/sophomores who had no idea where to to go, what routes to run, that entire team was a travesty. It's still just an excuse though, and Thomas wasn't good enough to overcome that so he's obviously not that great of a player yet. But this is pointing out he's the best piece of clay to mold if you grab him in the middle to late rounds. That's why whoever it was that drafted Thomas in the mock draft game here I congratulated the value he got. If I'm gonna pick up a day 3 QB give me the guy with rare physical measureables so I can coach him up and see what can possibly come of him. If he doesn't pan out oh well it's just a day 3 pick, those don't pan out at a good % rate anyways.

I could have a two hour discussion on Logan Thomas. Maybe one of the most interesting prospects (hear that alot in this draft), because he does have rare size and if you've seen him run you know he knows how to use it. But beyond the typical dual threat college QB he has very good patience and progression when in the pocket. He is not going to lock on to one guy and run around until he is open, Thomas actually has shown the ability to line up against a defense with some standard route concepts, read the defensive coverage and take what they give him, The problem with Logan is that when the ball comes out I don't think anyone but Jesus knows where it's gonna end up going. He flashes the top level arm strength and accuracy to fit it in between a half-way rolled up car window and out the other side. And then he shows you he can throw it into a pool and miss the water. There can be a number of reasons, but sometimes people just aren't NFL caliber players and whatever team grabs him will already believe they know the problem...they have the solution....and they have the staff to execute fixing him.

Edited by butta55

Nice work dude.

I could have a two hour discussion on Logan Thomas. Maybe one of the most interesting prospects (hear that alot in this draft), because he does have rare size and if you've seen him run you know he knows how to use it. But beyond the typical dual threat college QB he has very good patience and progression when in the pocket. He is not going to lock on to one guy and run around until he is open, Thomas actually has shown the ability to line up against a defense with some standard route concepts, read the defensive coverage and take what they give him, The problem with Logan is that when the ball comes out I don't think anyone but Jesus knows where it's gonna end up going. He flashes the top level arm strength and accuracy to fit it in between a half-way rolled up car window and out the other side. And then he shows you he can throw it into a pool and miss the water. There can be a number of reasons, but sometimes people just aren't NFL caliber players and whatever team grabs him will already believe they know the problem...they have the solution....and they have the staff to execute fixing him.

That's pretty much the way I saw it too.

If he IS fixable, he could be pretty decent.

Fortunately for my team, we have a guy who fancies himself as a bit of a QB fixer upper... :allhail:

Really don't think there's any hope for Tom Savage. He's got career backup written all over him. I know all the cliches about anything is possible, and the draft is a crapshoot, blah blah blah, I just don't see it.

• Upvote 1

Really don't think there's any hope for Tom Savage. He's got career backup written all over him. I know all the cliches about anything is possible, and the draft is a crapshoot, blah blah blah, I just don't see it.

Someone who is as inaccurate and doesn't respond well to pressure/blitzing like Savage who is also already 24 years old... yeah, not looking good. :lol: