Sign in to follow this  
Wattafan

Which Team/s Hit Homers?

Some teams have had successful drafts so far - go ahead and show why.

Rams did very well with Greg Robinson, Aaron Donald, Lamarcus Joyner and Tre Mason.

But, I think the Texans have pulled off a coup in the 3rd.

They scored Jadeveon Clowney (best OLB), Xavier Su'a Filo (best Guard), CJ Fiedorowicz (top 4 TE) and Louis Nix!!! (best DT/NT).

I have to say I am pretty excited by this draft so far.

Oh, and there is one team that stuffed up pretty bad too.

I'll let you figure out who that was.

If Texans can snag Aaron Murray, It will be by far the best draft they have taken - already qualifies for that imho.

Make your own case here.

Good luck for the new season all.

Edited by Wattafan

Rams

Greg Robinson

Aaron Donald

LaMarcus Joyner

Tre Mason

49ers

Jimmie Ward

Carlos Hyde

Marcus Martin

Chris Borland

Brandon Thomas

(More draft picks)

Browns

Justin Gilbert

Johnny Manziel

Joel Bitonio

Christian Kirksey

(Bills 1st rounder)

Raiders

Khalil Mack

Derek Carr

Gabe Jackson

(Quietly having amazing draft)

Texans

Jadeveon Clowney

Xavier Su'a-Filo

C.J. Fiedorowicz

Louis Nix III

Lions

Eric Ebron

Kyle Van Noy

Travis Swanson

Chargers

Jason Verrett

Jeremiah Attaochu

Chris Watt

• Upvote 1

Rams, Texans and Raiders have had the best drafts, IMO.

Agree.

Indy is quietly adding monster receivers to counter Texans pass rush.

I think they have noticed.

I've said all weekend that Nix is a terrible pick. He had to drop around 20 pounds to hit 330 at the combine. His playing weight is 350 and he's got a fucked up knee that has required multiple surgeries already. A bad knee on a guy whose playing weight rivals only Terrence Cody's bitch-tits is not at all desirable.

• Upvote 2

TBH I am very pleased with what the Falcons have done so far. Although on the surface it looks like they may not had addressed the need for an edge pass rusher don't forget that they should be getting Biermann back, Perhaps one of the three of Massaquoi, Maponga, or Goodman is ready to take the next step too. If the big guys tie up the middle better it SHOULD help the edge rushers in theory (lol okay the more i think about that last statement the more unlikely it does sound).

But as many others have said I like the draft of the Texans so far as well.

Edited by southgadawg
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm probably in the minority of people who aren't overly impressed with the Texans' draft. The Rams draft looks the best on paper to me, the Raiders did well for themselves and I like what the 49ers did.

Oh, and Nix, for his size, is kinda' weak. 24 fucking reps? That's less than Ryan Shazier, the "tiny little safety lookin' dude with long, stick arms".

Hard to deny what the 49ers did. They ran roughshot all over the draft board and pretty much got what they set out to get. I didn't really like the start of their draft though.

It's also amazing how well the Raiders can draft when a dementia-ridden crypt keeper isn't pulling the triggers.

I actually really liked what Dallas did towards the end of the draft. They had a bevy of picks and I think they all went to the defense.... even though they should drafted Manziel, at least for the lulz.

The other Texas team obviously had a good draft as well. If Nix's knee is ok, he may develop the chip he needs from his freefall to keep rudder and stay in shape. If so it's a great pick, if not, then not. Su'a Filo, Feidorowicz(sp), and Tom Savage are all great picks too, especially where they got them.

My favorite draft may have been Minnesota or Jacksonville. A quarterback, a pass rusher, and a couple DBs and Minny really didn't reach on anyone. Addressed quite a few needs. Jacksonville gets the best quarterback (though they probably could've traded down a few spots) and an amazing pair of receivers and added depth to the o-line.

As for drafts I didn't like, I don't think Carolina, Miami, or the Redskins did themselves any favors. Carolina like in free agency, was asleep while the best receivers flew off the board and took the most raw and overrated one of the bunch... Miami had maybe the worst reach of the draft... and the only player I really liked that the Skins took was Morgan Moses.

-

I won't say loved, but I definitely like the Broncos' draft in compliment to the rest of the offseason. I don't like Roby as a starter right now, but I think he's gonna develop well as a nickle at the moment. I love that we got Latimer, he's crazy underrated and Manning is gonna turn him into a possession machine before he retires. I wouldn't be surprised to see Schofield start at RT some point this year. Barrow could be a gem. He's a worker and I hope they decide to have him add weight and move to MLB. Paradis unfortunately seems to me like a clone of JD Walton. I know very little about Corey Nelson, NFLN seemed to like him...

Edited by theMileHighGuy
  • Upvote 1

I'd like to preface that I believe after the fourth round it's basically a crapshoot on whether a player sticks or not, so I won't base my opinion on anything from rounds five through seven. Here's the teams drafts that I liked...

:Falcons::Browns::Packers::Colts::jags::Vikings::Jets::Raiders::Chargers::49ers::Rams::Titans:

Not that I really hated the other teams' drafts, but these are the ones I came away impressed with. Still gotta field the players, and we won't really know how well these draft classes are until at least 2-3 seasons have gone by.

• Upvote 1

Bridgewater could not of walked into a better situation. Not very deep at receiver, but, great coach, great runningback, above average pass blocking.

As for drafts I didn't like, I don't think Carolina, Miami, or the Redskins did themselves any favors. Carolina like in free agency, was asleep while the best receivers flew off the board and took the most raw and overrated one of the bunch... Miami had maybe the worst reach of the draft... and the only player I really liked that the Skins took was Morgan Moses.

You grade the entire draft on just the Panthers first round pick? We got Kony Ealy at the bottom of the second, a guy a lot of people had in the 1st round.

And I love how all the armchair scouts are so sure year in and year out they they know better than an NFL team that historically has been dead on in the first round- not just talking about you, just the general tone of things regarding the draft from the media and everywhere. Its a giant clusterfuck and I just wish people would stop being so cocksure about guys coming out of college. The truth is we don't know.

Allow me to educate you on the Panthers draft strategy.

Carolina has not missed on a first round draft pick in well over a decade.

Here is a list of our first round picks since 2001:

2001: Dan Morgan- Pro Bowl and All-Pro

2002: Julius Peppers- DROY, 8 Pro Bowls, 6 All-Pros

2003: Jordan Gross- 3 Pro Bowls, 1 All-Pro

2004: Chris Gamble- Current franchise INT leader

2005: Thomas Davis- Came back from triple ACL tears on the same knee, currently playing at a high level.

2006: DeAngelo Williams- Second RB in the history of the NFL to run for more than 10,000 yards with over a 5.0 YPC, Pro Bowl and All-Pro selections

2007: Jon Beason- 3 Pro Bowls and 2 All-Pros

2008: Jonathan Stewart- Actually the better pure runner compared to D-Will.

2008: Jeff Otah- The only question mark. Injuries derailed what was shaping up to be a great career.

2011: Cam Newton- OROY, 2 time Pro Bowl selection, NFL single-season record for most rushing TDs in a season by a QB, along with far too many records to list here.

2012: Luke Kuechly- DROY, Pro Bowler, All-Pro

2013: Star Lotulelei- Had an awesome first year playing DT in the middle of the line.

2014: Kelvin Benjamin

'09 and '10 we didn't have a first rounder.

We literally have not missed on a first rounder in 15 years. Rashard Anderson, drafted in 2000, was the last time we had a first rounder bust out.

Otah is the only questionable one, and his career would have been a lot better without injuries he took, which is nearly impossible to predict.

You guys can talk about "raw" and "overrated" all you want. I will trust a draft office that has been the best in the league for first round talent for the past 15 years.

We will almost always choose BPA only, which leads to great first round picks at least. We've been meh in the later rounds.

Nor were we asleep in free agency.

Carolina is in salary cap hell thanks to the previous GM, Marty Hurney, tying up 80 million dollars in two RBs. Gettleman is doing wonders with what he has available, and everyone last year was saying Ted Ginn was going to be a bust and it was a bad pickup, and Hixon even won a game for us against the Saints. Both he got for cheap. We couldn't go after DeSean Jackson or any big-name dude because we simply do not have the money to do so.

He now has gone out and got Cotchery and Avant for cheap, and is bringing in a big 6'5" guy that is going to be tutored by one of the best in the business as far as WR coaches go- Ricky Proehl.

Do not be surprised if Benjamin goes off for 800+ yards in a rookie campaign. Newton has a rocket arm and he can get him the ball.

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 1

As an FSU fan that's watched Kelvin a lot he does have high bust potential, I'll say that. The Panthers however was one of the best spots he could go with Cam there. Cam ain't scared to pull the trigger and will still throw to him when he's still covered (one of the ?s with Kelvin was his route running and ability to separate.) With Cam not afraid to let him still win while covered it bodes well for Kelvin.

Also it should be encouraging that he progressed as much as he did from his first year playing at FSU to his second year. Night and Day. He was still inconsistent last year but also was a big play maker (obviously, given he went high in the draft.) His first year playing? Worthless. Going from EJ Manuel to Jameis Winston had to help too.

Before the draft I was thinking Kelvin could easily be a bust if taken in the 1st, but since he ended up in Carolina I like the fit for him I think he'll be okay. He's gonna have lots of rough moments but he's gonna make plays and show you why he got taken in the late 1st imo.

Edited by CampinWithGoatSampson

You grade the entire draft on just the Panthers first round pick? We got Kony Ealy at the bottom of the second, a guy a lot of people had in the 1st round.

And I love how all the armchair scouts are so sure year in and year out they they know better than an NFL team that historically has been dead on in the first round- not just talking about you, just the general tone of things regarding the draft from the media and everywhere. Its a giant clusterfuck and I just wish people would stop being so cocksure about guys coming out of college. The truth is we don't know.

Allow me to educate you on the Panthers draft strategy.

Carolina has not missed on a first round draft pick in well over a decade.

Not at all, and fair enough. I think Ealy was a steal as far as he fell, but not too unlike Nix you could ask why he did. I don't know how these kids will pan out, no one does, but based on 'expert' ratings (not just my own) Carolina missed on some players I thought would've been better for them right now since they were so close last year. Not one tackle? Most had a couple receivers that were still on the board rated higher than Kelvin, but they obviously felt they weren't as good of fits and you provided very strong evidence that they know what they're doing.

I respect not drafting for need though if you think you can. The running back late also threw me a little bit I guess too. I wouldn't give them an A but I'm not giving them an F either... I don't really think any team had a very bad draft. I think most outlets gave them a pretty good grade... just giving opinions the op asked for.

Not at all, and fair enough. I think Ealy was a steal as far as he fell, but not too unlike Nix you could ask why he did. I don't know how these kids will pan out, no one does, but based on 'expert' ratings (not just my own) Carolina missed on some players I thought would've been better for them right now since they were so close last year. Not one tackle? Most had a couple receivers that were still on the board rated higher than Kelvin, but they obviously felt they weren't as good of fits and you provided very strong evidence that they know what they're doing.

I respect not drafting for need though if you think you can. The running back late also threw me a little bit I guess too. I wouldn't give them an A but I'm not giving them an F either... I don't really think any team had a very bad draft. I think most outlets gave them a pretty good grade... just giving opinions the op asked for.

Another team that quietly have a fabulous draft was the Steelers:-

Ryan Shazier

Stephon Tuitt

Dri Archer

Martavius Bryant

Shaquille Richardson

Wesley Johnson

Jordan Zumwalt

Daniel McCullers (yeah, they got HIM)

Rob Blancheflower

Any one of those players would look good in my teams uni.

Bills had a great draft if you pretend that there won't be one next year...

• Upvote 2

Bills had a great draft if you pretend that there won't be one next year...

:lol: Yeah that one night it became clear to me that the front office is operating as if it's not sure they'll have jobs next year given the owner situation.