Sign in to follow this  
SteVo

Rookie of the Year Predictions

Now that the draft is over, what do you guys think?

I would say Johnny Football and Clowney are, in a sense, frontrunners. Because of the immense amount of hype around them, only a pedestrian rookie season will give them the award (see: Ndamukong Suh).

Carlos Hyde and Seek for offensive rookie and Khalil Mack Truck for DROTY.

Aaron Donald and Borltes

Rookie of the Year: Teddy Bridgewater

Offensive Rookie of the Year: Odell Beckham Jr.

Defensive Rookie of the Year: Khalil Mack

• Upvote 1

Mack has to be the favorite for DROTY just because of his position.

For offense I'll take Johnny Football since linemen can't win it.

I like Khalil Mack as the favorite to win DROY. The Clowney hype will die down quickly. If Manziel plays just decent as a rookie he'll get OROY just because of the hype.

HaSean Clinton-Dix and Devante Adams got this all but locked up!

Honestly though, I think it will come down to Dix / Mosley / Mack on defense... Unless Dix can haul in like 7 INT or Mosley have like 150 tackles -- the award is probably Mack's to lose. It's all about flash and volume, after all.

I really think the offensive award is more wide open, and should almost be guaranteed to go to a wide out. Sammy Watkins found himself being a #1 right off the bat. With them being 3 RBs deep though, not sure how much they will really throw the ball. One of the Eagles two new WRs will be at the top of this discussion, depending on who they like more and use more. Mike Evans has to be in the discussion. And I would honestly, non-homer, put Devante Adams in that discussion if he weren't our 4th, MAYBE 3rd option.

Now for the completely homer pick... I am going to go with Jordan Matthews.

Edited by Favre4Ever

OROY: Brandin Cooks

DROY: Khalil Mack

Can't believe you were the first to say Cooks. He's gotta be the obvious favorite for OROY DROY is gonna be Clowney I think. Texans are gonna have a top flight Dine to put in front of him.

I was shocked I was the first to say Cooks too. As much as I hate to admit it, he's gonna make an immediate impact in New Orleans and pretty much be a better Sproles for them.

Why is Cooks so 'obvious'? I understand he has Drew Brees and Sean... But did you watch the Eagles offense a year ago? If Nick Foles is even half as good as he was last year, any Eagles rookie will blow Cooks and the Saints out of the water, production wise. IMO.

I was shocked I was the first to say Cooks too. As much as I hate to admit it, he's gonna make an immediate impact in New Orleans and pretty much be a better Sproles for them.

Sean Payton is going to use him in a lot of ways. Wouldn't be surprised to see him take some hand offs. Plenty of screens and picks. Plenty of double moves. Then there's Drew Brees lol.

Why is Cooks so 'obvious'? I understand he has Drew Brees and Sean... But did you watch the Eagles offense a year ago? If Nick Foles is even half as good as he was last year, any Eagles rookie will blow Cooks and the Saints out of the water, production wise. IMO.

Cooks is a lot more talented than Matthews, but Kelly can use Josh Huff in a lot of the same ways NO can Cooks. You also have to remember that we thought Ertz too.

The Saints have a lot of options to get the ball too, and WRs almost never win OROY. Since 1993 there has only been 3. Like I said, if Manziel just plays decent as a rookie they'll give it to him just because he's a flashy QB with hype. Kind of like how Vince Young got OROY back in 2006.

The saints offensive philosophy never goes through one guy. Drew Brees thrives off throwing the ball to relative no name players. That ability to throw to one of any of their offensive players keeps opponents guessing and I don't expect hem to overhaul hat mentality just because the drafted Banks.

It's not completely out of the question mind you ... But I think banks is a much more prime candidate to be one of the most disappointing wideouts drafted -- just stats wise. Which lets be honest is all that matters when in comes to his award

I was very high on Cooks before the draft and I just think New Orleans was the perfect spot for him to make an immediate impact. Brees gets the ball out of his hands quick and Sean Payton is an offensive mastermind that I'm sure has many plans for Cooks. With Graham and Colston opening up the middle, there will be a lot of space for Cooks to work with.

• Upvote 1

I agree with JD, which is why I was surprised the Saints went and moved up to get Cooks. He's good WR prospect but the Saints have made their money with under the radar weapons thriving with Brees and Payton. The only weapon they really invested a high pick into was Robert Meachem, who may be the worst of the weapons Brees has had at his disposal in New Orleans lol.

• Upvote 1

JD's point is kind of dumb though considering that Colston,Graham and Sproles have all gotten a lot of reps in the Saints offense. The Saints don't have to have stars to be a good offense but what makes the Saints offense so dangerous is the take advantage of their players skill sets very well.

Saints are moving more to a ball-control style offense, Cooks is going to be a legitimate target..but like others have mentioned before..he will never be the go to..or heavily relied upon option in a Sean Payton offense.

Payton is a master of keeping defense's on their toes, and using a host of players that you wouldn't expect in certain situations.

So for me...

OROTY:

Teddy Bridgewater :Vikings:

DROTY:

Aaron Donald :Rams:

Edited by Nene Da God
  • Upvote 1

I really think the offensive award is more wide open, and should almost be guaranteed to go to a wide out. Sammy Watkins found himself being a #1 right off the bat. With them being 3 RBs deep though, not sure how much they will really throw the ball. One of the Eagles two new WRs will be at the top of this discussion, depending on who they like more and use more. Mike Evans has to be in the discussion. And I would honestly, non-homer, put Devante Adams in that discussion if he weren't our 4th, MAYBE 3rd option.

Now for the completely homer pick... I am going to go with Jordan Matthews.

I couldn't convince you that Devante Adams was worth anything. You were talking about how crappy he was while I was telling you I think he's one of the best in the 2nd round and now if he were further up on your depth chart he would be in conversations for OROTY lol?

He's on the Packers... He automatically has a shot. I am not a fan of Sammy Watkins either, didn't even put him in my top 5 WRs of this draft -- named him as well. I also really don't like Josh Huff, but on the Eagles with Chip and Nick, he more than has a shot. It's more about situations and opportunity rather than pure skill, lack of it, or how I scouted them leading up to the draft.

Also something I didn't know... Davante and recently departed Packers WR James Jones share an agent, and James spent the offseason working out and mentoring Adams. That's pretty cool.

JD's point is kind of dumb though considering that Colston,Graham and Sproles have all gotten a lot of reps in the Saints offense. The Saints don't have to have stars to be a good offense but what makes the Saints offense so dangerous is the take advantage of their players skill sets very well.

Marques Colston is a fine WR, no doubt... But the things he could do if the Saints would actually make him a priority are ridiculous.

Look at the spread and break down of the Saints receiving yards last year.... Graham with 1200, he's obviously going to get his. Colston with ~900..> And everybody else middling from about 300 - 600 yards. Two years ago... Three guys with 1000 yards or a little over or under.

Three years ago.. Graham with 1300. Colston with 1100. Everybody else roughly 400-600 yards.

Four years ago... Colston with 1000 yards, everybody else approximately 300-700 yards.

Five years ago... Colston with 1000 yards everyone else is 300 - 800 yards.

Six years ago.... Everybody ranging from 300 - 900 yards.

Seven years ago.. Colston at 1200.. Everyone else 300 - 800.

Eight years ago.. Colston at 1000.. Everyone else from 300 - 750

The era of Drew Brees and New Orleans has a very definitive pattern, and you can tell pretty easily where Graham comes into play.

Unless you think Banks is going to steal a crazy number of yards from Graham or Colston, Banks is in for a really rough rookie season. The absolute best anyone not named Colston or Graham have done with Brees is Lance Moore racking up a very respectable 1000 yards and 6 TDs.

Now, if Banks pulls that off.. That's GREAT. But the debate isn't whether or not he will be a talent at the next level. It's whether or not he will realistically win OROTY...

And seeing as how Keenan Allen lost out on ROTY with 1000 yards and 8 TDs...

History tells us that Banks has almost no shot beyond a total revamping of the Saints offensive philosophy (which I admit may very well be an option for them).

I think Cooks will have a productive rookie season, but not good enough for OROY.

• Upvote 1

Absolutely. I want to make clear I am not bashing Cooks, what he can or will bring to the Saints, or whatever else. Strictly about the possibility of him winning ROTY, which I find to be astronomically low.

Aaron Donald and Borltes

I love you. However, Bortles is supposed to sit, and seeing how Blaine Gabbert showed us what happens when a QB starts before he's ready, I don't think we're going to make the same mistake twice.

OROTY: Kelvin Benjamin

DROTY: Ryan Shazier