Sign in to follow this  
SteVo

Rookie of the Year Predictions

Bishop Sankey and Khlalil Mack

• Upvote 1

You need to be citing target numbers, JD.

Colston averages 110-120 targets. Graham/all Saints TEs average about 140-150. The #2 WR tends to hit 90-ish targets. If Cooks is their #2 and he's as good as some people think, there's no reason to think he couldn't easily put up OROTY numbers.

Also, TDs are a huge part of the award and even scrub Saints receivers like to notch 8 TDs and shit.

• Upvote 1

Targets don't really mean anything... Or add, rather. A lot of Saints receivers over the years can have 80+ targets with XX receptions and still only come away with 800 yards. It's just a product of their high volume offense and the fact that they spread the ball around behind their top target or two.

2013: 52 for 457 and 2

2012: 100 for 1040 and 6
2011: 72 for 627 and 8

2010: 92 for 763 and 8

2009: 82 for 804 and 2

2008: 88 for 760 and 5

486 for 4451 and 31

Just going off WR with 2nd most targets in a season, regardless of name or role on the team.

Average season is 81 targets for 741 yards and 5 TDs. That will never win a WR ROTY honors. Ever. And again, taking the absolute best year any #2 WR has had in New Orleans (with Brees) and the production still doesn't even surpass that of Keenan Allen's losing ROTY campaign last season.

Without that one amazingly awesome outlier year for Lance Moore, the production is fairly mediocre at best (77 for 682 and 5) . And once again, don't get me wrong... If Banks comes away with 700 yards and 5 TDs, I would call that a relative success. But it won't be winning him any awards.

EDIT
For him to actually win the award, he's going to have to get 1200 yards and 8 TDs (or any other WR, IMO), a feat accomplished by any Saints target only twice (both Jimmy Graham) since 2008. Colston did get very close twice so I would almost throw him in there 2 of the 6 years.. But even acknowledging that... The Saints top WR has only achieved those numbers with Brees twice since he went to New Orleans.

Precedent is heavily against Brandin Cooks.

Edited by Favre4Ever

Surprised only one person has said Sankey so far. Even though I don't think Sankey is special at all, I can see that easily given he gets to run behind that OL and RBs win this type of award a lot.

But I won't pick Sankey because I'm hipstr broface and plus fuck the tacks.

My hipstr picks:

Offense: Odell Beckham Jr.

Defense: Jimmie Ward

AlarmedGregariousDuiker.gif

I hope Bridgewater and Barr. :shifty:

Numbers aside, Sean Payton is the type of coach who uses plays skill sets and puts them in the best position to succeed. The Saints just try to create mismatches on the field and exploit them and Cooks is extremely versatile and a match up nightmare. Throw the numbers out the window. The Saints offense do what works, point blank. You could say they're a dink and dunk but tell me that after you look at Jimmy Graham's ypc. The Saints just do what works for them.

OROY: Mike Evans

DROY: Anthony Barr

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

New York nabs both awards with my picks.

Offense: :Giants: Odell Beckham Jr.

Defense: :Jets: Calvin Pryor

• Upvote 1

OROTY:

:Lions: Eric Ebron: He has a QB who passes the ball 600 times a season, an all world receiving threat already taking away the corner and safety on his side of the field Put Ebron on the same side and you are going to see a lot of single coverage seam routes and one on one opportunities in the endzone. He wins by sheer volume.

DROTY:

:Rams:Aaron Donald: I debated Calvin Pryor because it is Calvin Pryor. I also thought about Mack, and Mosely but decided with Donald. That front 4 was already sick as hell and with guys like Quinn and Long on the other side they are gooing to get some attention and since Brockers is Nasty he will probably collect the double teams on the inside since he is a known commodity leaving one of the drafts top 3 best tackles one on one with a guard...I like his opportunities.

• Upvote 1

New York nabs both awards with my picks.

Offense: :Giants: Odell Beckham Jr.

Defense: :Jets: Calvin Pryor

Obviously I went with Beckham for my OROY too (given the limited weapons of the NYG so he'd gonna see the ball a lot, as well as him returning kicks), but I also almost went with Pryor too. For the same reason why I chose Jimmie Ward. Both safeties behind excellent front 7s who will get their fair share of play making opportunities. Jimme Ward will play a lot of nickel and some CB too though, so I just chose him. It was between him and Pryor for me though, great minds think alike. :yep:

Reason I didn't name Clowney, Mack, or Donald like a lot of other folks is Clowney might have to get used to a new position and since he didn't get surgery on his ankle/foot that makes me cautious for a re-injury. With Mack I feel like he's honestly a little overrated but at the same time his surrounding cast isn't like Ward or Pryor's. Donald I feel like he'll just be limited with opportunities due to rotation.

Targets don't really mean anything... Or add, rather. A lot of Saints receivers over the years can have 80+ targets with XX receptions and still only come away with 800 yards. It's just a product of their high volume offense and the fact that they spread the ball around behind their top target or two.

2013: 52 for 457 and 2

2012: 100 for 1040 and 6

2011: 72 for 627 and 8

2010: 92 for 763 and 8

2009: 82 for 804 and 2

2008: 88 for 760 and 5

486 for 4451 and 31

Just going off WR with 2nd most targets in a season, regardless of name or role on the team.

Average season is 81 targets for 741 yards and 5 TDs. That will never win a WR ROTY honors. Ever. And again, taking the absolute best year any #2 WR has had in New Orleans (with Brees) and the production still doesn't even surpass that of Keenan Allen's losing ROTY campaign last season.

Without that one amazingly awesome outlier year for Lance Moore, the production is fairly mediocre at best (77 for 682 and 5) . And once again, don't get me wrong... If Banks comes away with 700 yards and 5 TDs, I would call that a relative success. But it won't be winning him any awards.

EDIT

For him to actually win the award, he's going to have to get 1200 yards and 8 TDs (or any other WR, IMO), a feat accomplished by any Saints target only twice (both Jimmy Graham) since 2008. Colston did get very close twice so I would almost throw him in there 2 of the 6 years.. But even acknowledging that... The Saints top WR has only achieved those numbers with Brees twice since he went to New Orleans.

Precedent is heavily against Brandin Cooks.

Durrrrrr. None of your post made any sense or was relevant to what I said.

The target numbers are what matters, because that's what accounts for the amount of opportunities a player has to show their worth. You're listing stats by shitty receivers. Cooks is supposed to be good, so if he pans out, his 80+ targets should net much more than scrub Lance Moore.

And by the way, Lance Moore's always injured and sporadically starts, so all of the stats you're listing as him being the "#2" are misleading, seeing as their "#2" guy has not always been the same on a game to game basis. A lot of those targets went to Meachem and company.

If Cooks starts and plays a full season, he should get more targets than Lance Moore's average by default.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

Anyone who thinks the Saints sit there and plan how many targets their WR's get is retarded. Cooks is going to get open. They're going to have a lot of plays drawn up to get him into space. He's FAR more talented and explosive than Lance Moore is or ever was. Numbers in this case do not tell the full story.

It's not about Lance Moore, if you think it is, you've missed the point completely.

And by the way, Lance Moore's always injured and sporadically starts, so all of the stats you're listing as him being the "#2" are misleading, seeing as their "#2" guy has not always been the same on a game to game basis. A lot of those targets went to Meachem and company.

What... The #2 WR changes from game to game? Hmm, it's like I've been saying that from the very beginning. Lol. That's why I said targets are completely worthless to look at. Sure it represents opportunity, but you quickly realize that Drew Brees and Co. give EVERYONE opportunity.

We will just have to see how it plays out. You guys think Cooks is going to have a better rookie season than 66-100% of Brees' #1 WR seasons.. You think that they are going from an offense that heavily revolves around spreading the ball out and giving everybody an opportunity to make plays to a more hierarchical and traditional offense.

That's cool. Nothing wrong with that... Like I said previously, with the loss of a huge playmaker like Sproles, I can see that possibility. But I just don't find it very likely and I am not going to base predictions off an opinion that the Saints are going to devolve after 8 years of major success. Time will tell, nothing it is out of the question.

Edited by Favre4Ever

:Saints: Brandin Cooks - Think the the way the Saints are going to utilize Cooks is going to make him very dangerous. Beckham is my 2nd choice.

:Eagles: Marcus Smith - Total homer pick but I do believe he's one of the most complete prototypical 3-4 OLB outside of Khalil Mack. Calvin Pryror is my close 2nd.

It's not about Lance Moore, if you think it is, you've missed the point completely.

What... The #2 WR changes from game to game? Hmm, it's like I've been saying that from the very beginning. Lol. That's why I said targets are completely worthless to look at. Sure it represents opportunity, but you quickly realize that Drew Brees and Co. give EVERYONE opportunity.

We will just have to see how it plays out. You guys think Cooks is going to have a better rookie season than 66-100% of Brees' #1 WR seasons.. You think that they are going from an offense that heavily revolves around spreading the ball out and giving everybody an opportunity to make plays to a more hierarchical and traditional offense.

That's cool. Nothing wrong with that... Like I said previously, with the loss of a huge playmaker like Sproles, I can see that possibility. But I just don't find it very likely and I am not going to base predictions off an opinion that the Saints are going to devolve after 8 years of major success. Time will tell, nothing it is out of the question.

Cooks is the kind of player who can get a lot of high percentage passes and targets and make them big gains.He could have 1000+ yards on like 65-70 receptions. Not to mention returns and rushing yards.

I agree that he has that potential.. And he better get 1000 yards... More than that, actually. Otherwise he has no shot. lol

Marques Colston did turn 30, I guess the Saints have a new #1 in town... who they are going to ask to return kicks? I always hate putting important players on KR duty. We did that with Randall Cobb as our #3 / Slot Receiver and I despised it. Haha.

I agree that he has that potential.. And he better get 1000 yards... More than that, actually. Otherwise he has no shot. lol

Marques Colston did turn 30, I guess the Saints have a new #1 in town... who they are going to ask to return kicks? I always hate putting important players on KR duty. We did that with Randall Cobb as our #3 / Slot Receiver and I despised it. Haha.

Yeah, I'm ok with an occasional PR in a big moment but outside of that it's playing with fire. Especially with smaller guys.

OROY - Johnny Manziel :Browns: Homer pick. But if Manziel has any kind of success as a rookie, I could see him winning this on hype alone.

DROY - Aaron Donald :Rams: Pairing this guy with 2 outside rushers like Long and Quinn is going to be scary. Donald having 10+ sacks wouldn't surprise me at all. He will have a lot of favorable 1 on 1 matchups.

My sleeper picks are Josh Huff and Calvin Pryor.

Edited by Kosar

OROY - Davante Adams

DROY - Ryan Shazier

• Upvote 1

OROTY:

:Lions: Eric Ebron: He has a QB who passes the ball 600 times a season, an all world receiving threat already taking away the corner and safety on his side of the field Put Ebron on the same side and you are going to see a lot of single coverage seam routes and one on one opportunities in the endzone. He wins by sheer volume.

I totally forgot about Eric Ebron. I change my vote to him :yep: (Though I think it would be the first TE ever... idk if Ditka got it or not...)

Edited by theMileHighGuy

I hate to be another one of those guys who talks about guys his own team drafted all the time, but I think Van Noy has a serious chance of winning the defensive award.

He'll get the chance to rack up a ton of tackles being a 3 down backer. And on third down, he'll get the chance to drop in coverage an equal amount of times as he will get the chance to rush off the edge while we already have 4 down linemen, as well as get his own blitz packages.

If he can rack up 100+ total tackles, 5+ sacks, and a couple INTs, he'd be a lock imo.

Bishop Sankey. Mainly because I believe he's going to win the starting job with a fantastic camp/pre-season. Not to mention, the Titans seem to be gearing up to put out a full on ground and pound offense.

I actually like C.J Mosley for DROTY. I think he's going to end up being a perfect fit in the Baltimore defense.

Yeah I went with Odell Beckham as my OROY pick just to be a little different (did it before Fart :p) but realistically I can see Sankey winning it more than likely. It's funny too because I don't even think Sankey is special or that great. But he's okay and behind that great OL in Tennessee with questionable QBs he's going to get all the opportunity to ball out. That's why in my first post I was shocked only one person (BC) had went with Sankey as their pick. Especially considering RBs usually win the award.