Sign in to follow this  
Dutch

Andre Johnson a No-Show at Texans OTAs

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2014/05/frustrated-andre-johnson-wonders-is-this-still-the-place-for-me/#23243101=0

Andre Johnson is not on board with another Texans rebuild.

The veteran wide receiver said Tuesday he’s highly frustrated with the state of a franchise that went 2-14 last season. Johnson doesn’t plan to attend OTAs or an upcoming mandatory camp and is uncertain whether he wants to remain a Texan this year.

“Is this still the place for me?” Johnson asked following a media event, in which he presented the Houston Women’s Center with a $30,000 check.

Johnson missed last week’s first voluntary workout with new Texans coach Bill O’Brien.

The veteran addressed the situation for the first time Tuesday.

Johnson, 32, is entering his 12th season with the Texans. The No. 3 overall pick of the 2003 NFL draft is the lone remaining athlete from the franchise’s expansion era. He’s been through Dom Capers, David Carr, Gary Kubiak and Matt Schaub. After watching the Texans fall apart in 2013, posting the league’s worst record, the seven-time Pro Bowler said he and the only team he’s ever played for are clearly at different stages.

“Nobody’s been here as long as I have. You just kind of look at things; I’ve been thinking about things this offseason,” Johnson said. “And I just kind of wonder sometimes, ‘Is this still the place for me?’ ”

Johnson leads the Texans in all-time receptions (927), receiving yards (12,261) and receiving touchdowns (61).

He’s been frustrated with the Texans before. But this is the first time in recent years Johnson has allowed his feelings to boil over, in essence calling out the Texans for another slow rebuild. In the past, Johnson’s frustration was quieted before his feelings became public.

Owner Bob McNair said after Kubiak was fired the Texans wouldn’t take a step backward in 2014. But while the franchise had a strong draft on paper, adding No. 1 overall pick Jadeveon Clowney, the team lacks a proven starter at quarterback and didn’t sign any big-name free agents this offseason.

“When you bring a new coach in, you go through a rebuilding process,” Johnson said. “Some people say it’s not. Some people say it’s a quick fix. Everybody has their own opinion. But I’ve been through the situation more than once.”

More than anything, Johnson made it clear the Texans’ losing has simply worn on him. Since 2003, the Texans have posted six losing seasons and only two with 10-plus wins. They went 12-4 in 2012 but collapsed last year. In all, Johnson’s only been part of two playoff wins in 11 years.

“I just look at my career. … I’ve only been to the playoffs twice. I think we’ve only had three winning seasons,” said Johnson, who at least twice last season expressed his frustration on the field during games. “I don’t think any player wants to experience that. I think over time it can become very frustrating. And this offseason has been very frustrating for me; beginning of the offseason, I should say. That’s just kind of where I’m at right now.”

Last year, Johnson got into a verbal argument with Schaub and became visibly upset during a nationally televised road loss at San Francisco. Johnson was also the most consistently available and open player in the Texans’ locker room, regularly speaking with the media after defeats and never declining an interview. Outside of Tuesday’s declaration, Johnson is widely viewed as a quiet, soft-spoken athlete who rarely commands public attention.

Johnson said he keeps in contact with the Texans, talking with the club at least once every other week. He also made it clear he hasn’t requested a trade and isn’t concerned with his contract. For a Texan who could one day be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, it’s more about the franchise’s failings in the past and uncertain future than anything else.

“I’m just taking some time, thinking about some things,” Johnson said. “You know, when I make my decision I’ll make my decision and go from there.”

I don't blame Johnson for wanting out. He's been with the Texans his entire career and has been a stand up classy guy (outside of the Finnegan beat down :laugh:) during his tenure there. He's a top 3 WR in the league and is still producing at an elite level. He knows his window is closing and is turning 33 this year. He wants to win now. He knows in order for that to happen he has to try and take control of his career now or never get that chance.

I for one would like to see Andre Johnson go to a contender. As a WR, the draft had to be disheartening getting a QB in the 4th round. Granted the Eagles just drafted WR's in the 2nd and 3rd round, I'd take Andre Johnson in a heartbeat lol. :devious:

Edited by Favre4Ever
  • Upvote 1

His contract situation:

tPUOKuH.png

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/andre-johnson/

I don't blame him. They finally got over the hump to make the playoffs and after only two appearances they're rebuilding again. I say rebuilding because they actively punted on QBs this year by only acquiring Fitzpatrick and Savage. So from Dre's point of view he's gonna have to work with Fitz, Savage and Keenum? Not a great group at all.

The Texans have catered to Andre Johnson like no other in the short history of this franchise. Any time he felt like his contract "wasn't up to par" he was immediately restructured to his liking. With that in mind, he now has $16+ mil still left guaranteed by the Texans. He's virtually un-tradeable due to his contract.

It's funny he never complained while having noodle arm Schaub as his quarterback... Play or retire, I could care less. Just stop the stupid media drama creation. I honestly thought Andre was above this bullshit.

• Upvote 1

I'm surprised Johnson even said anything...

but I think we'd all be considerably pissed if we were on the same franchise that thinks they need to upgrade their defense while they have no competent signal caller.

Get out of there Andre...fight the power :yep:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The Texans have catered to Andre Johnson like no other in the short history of this franchise. Any time he felt like his contract "wasn't up to par" he was immediately restructured to his liking. With that in mind, he now has $16+ mil still left guaranteed by the Texans. He's virtually un-tradeable due to his contract.

It's funny he never complained while having noodle arm Schaub as his quarterback... Play or retire, I could care less. Just stop the stupid media drama creation. I honestly thought Andre was above this bullshit.

It's deeper than money. He sees the window closing. He wants to win.

Edited by Dutch

I think Andre has some right to complain. This feels like the media overblowing it a bit (as they are wont to do), but Andre has been a Texan his entire career and doesn't have any hardware to show for his effort as one of the best WR's in the game. I dunno, this just feels like a guy letting off steam.

He never complained with six seasons of Schaub until this past season. He's had many opportunities to leave Houston, and he always re-upped claiming multiple times that he, "wants to retire a Texan." I'm glad he wants to win, but missing offseason programs sends a terrible sign to the rest of the team. He's taking the "I'm taking my ball and going home" route, and quite frankly I'm losing the respect I had for him.

I wouldn't condemn him if he had said something of the lines that he tried his hardest for Houston but he wants to play for a shot at a Super Bowl. This whole indecisiveness approach just sounds like a girly drama bitchfest to me.

Either way, like I've said his contract situation makes him virtually untradeable anyways.

Edited by FartWaffles
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Don't blame him at all. He knows his window is closing and wants to win.

Andre Johnson has been one of my favorite players ever since I started following football. Really want to see him get a ring. I think New England would be a perfect destination for him.

• Upvote 1

He never complained with six seasons of Schaub until this past season. He's had many opportunities to leave Houston, and he always re-upped claiming multiple times that he, "wants to retire a Texan." I'm glad he wants to win, but missing offseason programs sends a terrible sign to the rest of the team. He's taking the "I'm taking my ball and going home" route, and quite frankly I'm losing the respect I had for him.

I wouldn't condemn him if he had said something of the lines that he tried his hardest for Houston but he wants to play for a shot at a Super Bowl. This whole indecisiveness approach just sounds like a girly drama bitchfest to me.

Either way, like I've said his contract situation makes him virtually untradeable anyways.

Andre Johnson has done nothing but work hard and play hard for his team. Secondly he's known around the league as one of the classiest guys off the field. Some people's goal is to make money in the NFL, but Andre Johnson wants to be an alltime great (which he already is) and go out with a ring.

but I think we'd all be considerably pissed if we were on the same franchise that thinks they need to upgrade their defense while they have no competent signal caller.

So you pass on Clowney for who? Johnny? :yao:

Anyways....He is supposedly a team leader. And yet, he goes to the media and voices his discontent with the Texans situation. I honestly read into this as him forfeiting this season before it even starts. What message does it send to his teammates? In all honesty, the Texans division is competitive but no team in it is that good. Of course, the Colts are the favorites but the Texans and Titans could easily compete with them in a season.

Sean, glory hunting for a ring doesn't add any stock into Johnson's career/legacy IMO. But I know I'm probably in the minority on that point.

• Upvote 1

Anyways....He is supposedly a team leader. And yet, he goes to the media and voices his discontent with the Texans situation. I honestly read into this as him forfeiting this season before it even starts. What message does it send to his teammates? In all honesty, the Texans division is competitive but no team in it is that good. Of course, the Colts are the favorites but the Texans and Titans could easily compete with them in a season.

Sean, glory hunting for a ring doesn't add any stock into Johnson's career/legacy IMO. But I know I'm probably in the minority on that point.

Maybe not, but I know I'd want a chance to win the super bowl. :shrug:

Andre Johnson has done nothing but work hard and play hard for his team. Secondly he's known around the league as one of the classiest guys off the field. Some people's goal is to make money in the NFL, but Andre Johnson wants to be an alltime great (which he already is) and go out with a ring.

Gee thanks for telling me something I didn't already know. You're a true visionary Sean!

Again it's been updated that the Texans would take a $12 mil cap hit if they trade Andre with his current contract. Unless he slashes his contract, and the Texans get a stupidly generous trade offer for a soon to be 33 year old wide receiver, I just don't see it happening.

Naw. Blake the gawd. ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Not NFL ready according to the Jags...

You play football to win a ring correct? So whats wrong with him getting to the top of the ladder at his profession. Andre has it all. He has the money and stats to back up a HOF resume he just does not have a ring. Dude put his heart and soul and into dog shit texan teams that were Quarterbacked by Carr, Rosenfels and at times Leinart and Yates.

Dude just wants to win its not like he is demanding a trade because he wants so and so much dollars over what you guys are giving him.

Edited by monstersofthemidway
  • Upvote 1

Andre Johnson could become the biggest Diva in the NFL, and I wouldn't care.

Here's why:

:clap:

Edited by BwareDWare94

Not NFL ready according to the Jags...

Coach speak. Can't tell Henne he's the starter then draft a QB and say, "welp I lied."

If he beats Henne in camp/preseason he gets the job IMO. They're just going to make him earn it, not hand it to him.

You know what, these guys get paid the big bucks to go out their and PLAY football!

Let them come back to the real world and they might appreciate it more.

There are a lot of guys, the vast majority actually, who never even make it to the NFL.

There have been some great players and coaches who never got rings - it's the name of the game.

If everyone got a ring, who would care about them anymore?

Hopefully this is just him voicing disappointment, but you know what, he can go out there and make this team better!

After all, his performance dropped off last year too.

He has every right imo. He's given his all and excelled for that team, despite being on an average to below average team for the majority of his career there. He's done everything he's supposed to do for that team and then some. His prime days are nearing the end and he deserves a decent quarterback and a playoff run.

Edited by BC

I was a serious AJ doubter... i thought he was done as a top end elite wide out. Boy, he proved me wrong. I shall never doubt him again.

#FreeAndreJohnson

• Upvote 1

Dre and Josh Gordon saved my ass last year in Fantasy after Julio Jones got hurt. Julio carried me early, Gordon became my Julio and since Keenum did nothing but chuck it at Dre and pray that helped as well :yep:

I never planned on doing Fantasy football and it was the first time I did it in 13 years, this year though I shall play with y'all dudes because ♥

HOUSTON -- Texans receiver Andre Johnson stayed true to his word and did not attend the first day of organized team activities Tuesday.

The seven-time Pro Bowler said two weeks ago that he did not plan on attending OTAs or the Texans' mandatory minicamp in June.

Package Manny Sanders and a pick to send to the Texans for Dre, Mr. Elway, pls.