Maverick

'Shady' thinks he's the best RB

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2014/05/lesean_mccoy_says_he_is_the_best_running_back_in_the_nfl.html

Coming off of arguably the best season of his career, Eagles running back LeSean McCoy did not hold back on ESPN when asked if he was the best running back in the NFL.

"Yes sir," McCoy responded.

McCoy has never been one to lack in confidence, but a look at the numbers says he might be right.

McCoy finished last season with a league-leading 1,607 rushing yards, close to 300 yards more than Matt Forte of the Chicago Bears, who finished second. With 540 yards receiving as well, McCoy finished with 2,147 total yards -- an Eagles franchise record for yards from scrimmage.

"The last three years, I've been All-Pro first-team twice," McCoy explained. "I never leave the field. I block, I catch. I don't have anybody else do my job -- I do it myself."

I disagree, but he's not far off. I've seen players make more ridiculous claims so I won't get on him too hard.

Regardless, he's still an Eagle so he's a dumbass.

• Upvote 1

He SHOULD think this. He's one of the very best in the game. If he went out there and said, "Awww shuuucks. That thurr AP guy shurr is better than me," I'd never want to hear him speak again. You don't get as good as he is by having a second-best attitude. I have two guys over him, but not by much at all, and I wouldn't want to argue my case with someone who has him ranked ahead of my other two guys. It's really just about preference and splitting hairs at the top three spots of the current RB hierarchy imo.

• Upvote 1

I love Mccoy but A.P is the undisputed #1 best RB in the league imo. It's A.P then everyone else followed by Mccoy and Charles. I'm glad that he has that attitude though.

AP followed by Lynch, Charles, and McCoy :p

But seriously, if LeSean McCoy was something more than a fucking rock, intellectually, I'd love him, but by god he is a fucking moron.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Don't even get me started

Don't get yourself started. I'm right :p

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Chris Johnson says otherwise...

michael-jordan-lol.gif

Shady is on the elite level of running backs. There's certainly a case to be made that he's not number one, but if you're going to give it a try, please do so with some intelligence.

• Downvote 1

McCoy is easily the most entertaining RB to watch.

tumblr_mrmuym8vtU1rk5zfdo2_400.gif

Soooo many more..

• Upvote 2

McCoy is easily the most entertaining RB to watch.

Most definitely. Watching Shady juke guys out their cleats is definitely entertaining. It's just something about quick players who can make other plays look silly (Barry Sanders, Allen Iverson my favorites). It's definitely more entertaining watching elusive runners over straight line speed guys just running past defenders.

Don't get yourself started. I'm right :p

A back who is a great runner/threat of the backfield/pass blocking back>>>>A Power back.

michael-jordan-lol.gif

Shady is on the elite level of running backs. There's certainly a case to be made that he's not number one, but if you're going to give it a try, please do so with some intelligence.

I don't think ATL was saying anyone would agree with Chris Johnson, merely that CJ himself would disagree with Shady, he may also have been making a general commentary on players declaring themselves the best at the position, but that might be me reading too much into it

• Upvote 2

A back who is a great runner/threat of the backfield/pass blocking back>>>>A Power back.

False.

not at all. give me the most complete back any day of the week.

Edited by monstersofthemidway

not at all. give me the most complete back any day of the week.

So you would take Forte over AP??????? For the record, its really close between Lynch and Forte, IMO.

• Upvote 1

AP is not a power back AP is a future HOF and will be in conversation as best ever when he retires. But I would easily take Forte over Lynch in a heart beat.

Edited by monstersofthemidway

AP is a future HOF power back and will be in conversation as best ever when he retires. But I would easily take Forte over Lynch in a heart beat.

Fixed. :yep:

michael-jordan-lol.gif

5bded4806c12869e99e6a6ff4ac83e5b.jpg

Because I disagree with the notion that McCoy is a top back... :laugh:

McCoy is easily my favorite running back to watch, and while I don't put him over AP (and nobody should) does not mean he is a loser.

All I meant by Chris Johnson is that...we've seen backs say this before...and to be fair at the time when Chris Johnson did say those remarks...was he not having his career year?

So StoVe pls.

I'm sorry, but the idea of AP being a power back is ridiculous. He has as much breakaway speed as any back in football. Last year (a down year by his standards), AP was tied for 2nd in the NFL in runs of 40+ yards and tied for 3rd in the NFL in 20+ yard runs. But yea, strictly a power back, though. AP may not be a very good receiving RB, but he is still, even without that, easily one of the most complete running backs ever. He can equally beat you with power or speed when the ball is in his hands. I can't believe some of us have to defend Adrian Peterson's skills. Adrian Peterson, guys. The offseason at TGP is a bitch. lol

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm sorry, but the idea of AP being a power back is ridiculous. He has as much breakaway speed as any back in football. Last year (a down year by his standards), AP was tied for 2nd in the NFL in runs of 40+ yards and tied for 3rd in the NFL in 20+ yard runs. But yea, strictly a power back, though. AP may not be a very good receiving RB, but he is still, even without that, easily one of the most complete running backs ever. He can equally beat you with power or speed when the ball is in his hands. I can't believe some of us have to defend Adrian Peterson's skills. Adrian Peterson, guys. The offseason at TGP is a bitch. lol

This too.

If you want a power back. Take a look at Legarrette Blount. The man is large, but that alone does not define a power back. He has put up decent numbers, but never great numbers like AP.

Blount is mainly a north south type of runner who needs a solid head of steam if he wants to make longer than a 4 or 5 yd run.

He's not an asset in the passing game, and he is generally most effective in goal line situations.

AP can do it all but more importantly he does things that are unique and far and above any label one can give..so he's not strictly a power back.

Shady dominate in the snow was easily one of the greatest things I've seen in a while.

I think you are looking way too much into what I said. And I don't understand how calling AP a power back is an insult to his skill...And saying he has as much break away speed as any back in football is just completely silly. AP's biggest strength is the fact that he is so powerful yet still pretty fast. He is primarily a power back though and should be categorized as one more so than a complete or speedy back. Speedy backs are Chris Johnson types, AP is not a complete back either...those are the Jim Browns, Walter Paytons, Faulk, LT's of the world (modern example is Forte).

• Downvote 2

So the fact that AP had 27 20+ yard runs in 2012 was due to POWER? Uh, yea, I don't buy it. AP is fast. Period. He wouldn't beat Chris Johnson in a 40 yard dash, but AP is super fast in pads... and that's all that matters...

I don't think speed or lack of speed determines a power back. You can be a power back and be fast. Peterson is a powerful running back he's more north south than east west, but has break away speed that most guys with his playing style don't have. That's one of the things that makes him special.

Take them FWIW but here are the 40 times google has for the guys that we keep talking about:

Lesean McCoy 4.5

Adrian Peterson 4.4

Marshawn Lynch 4.46

Matt Forte 4.46

Jamal Charles 4.36

Edited by GA_Eagle
  • Upvote 2