Sign in to follow this  
Dutch

Game of Throws: Rookie QBs

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which rookie QB will have the best season?

• Blake Bortles
    • Teddy Bridgewater
    • Johnny Manziel
    • Derek Carr (If Schaub gets hurt or throws pic 6's)
    • AJ McCarron (If Dalton gets hurt or benched)
    • Jimmy Garoppolo (If Brady gets hurt and Mallet sucks)
    • Zach Mettenberger
    • Tom Savage

001GoT_QBNFLRookies_zps886be607.0_standa

Title is pretty self explanatory. For me, I'm going with Teddy Bridgewater. He has an outstanding running game and his receiving options are more then viable; Greg Jennings, Cordarrelle Patterson, Kyle Rudolph etc. I really like the situation he landed in and is the most primed for success in my opinion.

However, Blake Bortles situation is probably the one I'm most intrigued in. Love that the Jags got him two weapons in the second round getting Allen Robinson and Marqise Lee in the 2nd round. I expect to see Bortles before the season is over.

Edited by Dutch

I feel like bridgewater is the only one who'll see significant time starting this year.

• Upvote 1

TOM SAVAGE

Just kidding, I'll go with Bridgewater cause he's got a ready made team with Peterson, Jennings, Patterson, and a good offensive line (I'm assuming? they just took their franchise LT a few drafts ago).

Teddy seems to be the only one of the rookies where the coach has already come out and said he will get 1st team reps in OTAs so he seems like the most likely to get the most starts out of these guys so that has to be it. None of the other QBs have had their teams speak as if they will get to start this year.

Add that to the fact that he landed with Norv Turner (who loves play action — one of Teddy's strengths), with AP, a solid OL, and weapons in Jennings, Patterson, Simpson, Rudolph etc. it seems like the most likely result.

All these QBs (except Garoppolo) really landed in the perfect spots in terms of team fits/scheme wise too. I can see why each team grabbed each QB. The reason I list Garoppolo as the only one that doesn't make sense is he just doesn't fit what the Patriots have typically drafted in QBs. That's yet to be seen what their plans are with him and if they can fix some of his serious flaws.

• Upvote 1

Love me some Teddy, but I think Cassel will be fair competition and will hurt his snaps. Mettenberger can pretty easily outdo Locker IMO. Mettenberger has best year one success, but Teddy is a better QB.

I'm gonna go with Teddy. Not because of Homerism but because he has every reason to succeed, and failure would be quite telling.

AP, Cordarrelle, Simpson, Jennings, Wright, Rudolph, a nice OL.

No excuses for extreme failure. He'll take his rookie lumps but he should be somewhat successful.

I really really really hope Zimmer and Turner are smart enough to play Greg Jennings in slot, where he belongs. Frazier and Musgrave weren't, because they're morons.

Teddy seems to be the only one of the rookies where the coach has already come out and said he will get 1st team reps in OTAs so he seems like the most likely to get the most starts out of these guys so that has to be it. None of the other QBs have had their teams speak as if they will get to start this year.

Add that to the fact that he landed with Norv Turner (who loves play action — one of Teddy's strengths), with AP, a solid OL, and weapons in Jennings, Patterson, Simpson, Rudolph etc. it seems like the most likely result.

All these QBs (except Garoppolo) really landed in the perfect spots in terms of team fits/scheme wise too. I can see why each team grabbed each QB. The reason I list Garoppolo as the only one that doesn't make sense is he just doesn't fit what the Patriots have typically drafted in QBs. That's yet to be seen what their plans are with him and if they can fix some of his serious flaws.

Agreed.

He is the most NFL ready QB from the draft so his transition should be sooner than most of the others therefor he has more chances of posting better quality games and be ahead of the class.

But you have to be intrigued by Manziel, Bortles and Carr. These are the main challengers to Bridgewater.

Edited by Wattafan

I went with Teddy for some of the same reasons everyone else stated , so I won't go back through all that. I will say though that I have long thought Teddy was the best QB in this draft. Him landing where he did is just a bonus. It couldn't have played out any better for him really.

I do not concur that Teddy is the only one who's going to see significant playing time though. I think Manziel has an equally good chance of being at least a week 4 starter in Cleveland, as does Bortles in Jacksonville. I don't really know how they'll fair, but I do think that if Gordon ends up skating on this weed thing that Johnny—with full awareness that he's 100% BOOM or BUST— is going to make a run at OROY with Teddy.

I am going to be different as usual, I personally think AJ McCarron will have the best rookie season. Dalton imo is going to get benched early into the season. McCarron has a monster of a WR in Green and a backfield that can get him out of jams in both running and passing.

McCarron has the most weapons to use and imo can make a lot of the throws needed as a professional.

I think Teddy is an obvious favorite because he's easily the most pro ready QB in the class but he's also going to a team with weapons and a strong running game and he's getting first team reps already like campin said, but I think Bortles could be a dark horse.The Jags will have Joekel at LT and some good young receivers for him to work with