Sign in to follow this  
Omerta

Weekly Discussion Topic: Your Legacy.

The title is ambiguous on purpose. I was thinking about this the other day and decided to give it to you gentleman to marinade on for a moment.

If given the opportunity to go back in time and spend one week to leave a lasting impression on the world what would you do ? Would it be for political gain ? What about monetary ? Would you leave things alone and just observe for perspective ? Would you try to shift the entire course of humanity ? You only go back with the knowledge YOU have.

Remember you have to live with the consequences of the lives you changed upon your return.

I have always thought I would go back to the time of the Minoan Civilization (the smartest people this planet has seen given the time) and just teach the things I could to an advanced civilization who might be able to do something about it. And I would definitely tell them about the eruption that would be coming on Thera so that way they could actually go forth and spread some knowledge of the things they know plus the few things I could teach them about warfare, general construction, plumbing, Architecture, electricity and how it is created. Maybe hand them some blueprints on certain wiring diagrams, electrical flow, warfare and weaponry, plumbing principles and so on.

I have always wondered what the world would be like if someone gave a concept like electricity to a brilliant civilization thousands of years before the Egyptians. How much different would the world be if we hit the industrial revolution about the time of Christ ? We would be 2000 years ahead of that instead of 200.

Edited by Vin

"It's not about changing the world. It's about doing our best to leave the world... the way it is."

"It's not about changing the world. It's about doing our best to leave the world... the way it is."

...shitty ?...

Thanks for posting this. I was having trouble coming up with a topic for this week.

I don't think I would go back. I don't think I could honestly change anything.

...shitty ?...

post-37129-Yeah-well-thats-just-like-you

Things could always be worse, the path to Hell is paved with good intentions, etc. etc.

• Upvote 2

I have no clue what I would do with the ability to go back in time honestly.

Edited by JetsFan4Life

Let me explain how I feel about life in a non tl;dr way

Let me tell you the story of a young ATL. A young boy who was lost and confused. As someone that has played a lot of sports, was rather popular in high school and in college... it was easy for me to say I had it all. The cars, the money, the girls. But I will tell you something.

The material possessions of this world in the long run are absolutely meaningless, because you aren't taking that shit with you when you die, and people won't remember you by what you had.

The real thing that matters in life is the relationships. Not the bf/gf shit, but how you simply interact with other people. Personally, I want people to remember me for how I made them feel. For sure, I've probably fucked some people over, but I can honestly say there's been nobody in my life that I've treated like shit for no justifiable reason. Even the people that do treat me like shit, I still try and respect them.

People will forget what you said, what you did, but ultimately...people will always remember how you made them feel. I used to do a lot of blogging and I went into it quite a bit. But success to me is not about how much money I make, it's about being happy with chasing the dreams and passions of life.

People don't really quite understand why I do what I do..and that's fine. Look at the greatest people in history. They did shit differently didn't they? The most infamous (Hitler) to the most glorious (Ghandi) all had one thing in common. They were able to evoke emotions from people, and it had a huge impact on how people felt.

Anyway.

I want my name to remember for being someone who inspired others and was there for them when nobody else was. Fuck the money. Fuck the women. Fuck the cars. I'll take them as a bonus, but that's not my driving force in life.

I may come off as a hateful person at points, but deep down I truly do care for others and do my best to not be judgmental.

• Upvote 1

I'd probably go back in time to win the lottery when it was really getting huge. Gamble on sports since I'd know all the outcomes. Maybe think bigger and invest in a little dot com company named Google. The truth is out there.

Though if I wasn't doing it for monetary gain, I'd go back to a certain moment in my life and fix it so it never happened. There's no telling what kind of person I'd become, but I'd feel better about myself, and wouldn't live with all this self loathing.

I'd probably go back in time to win the lottery when it was really getting huge. Gamble on sports since I'd know all the outcomes. Maybe think bigger and invest in a little dot com company named Google. The truth is out there.

Though if I wasn't doing it for monetary gain, I'd go back to a certain moment in my life and fix it so it never happened. There's no telling what kind of person I'd become, but I'd feel better about myself, and wouldn't live with all this self loathing.

NHB time.

Haha, maybe another time.

Talking about it is the first step. And nobody ambiguously alludes to something heavy like that if they're not ready to talk about it, at least subconsciously.

If I could go back in time, I'd go back to around 3rd grade. I would have a plan set up with my dad prior to going back where he would tell me a list of things that he'd never have told 3rd grade me, that way I could prove that, "yes, dad, my consciousness is from the future, you need to listen to your 8 year old son and do as he says".

After convincing him, I'd have us win the lottery or get mega-rich somehow, on the condition that he stays the fuck away from the cunt woman that he dated/was engaged to for about 7 years of our childhood.

I'd use my cunning and smarts to get my mother thrown in jail or pay someone to have her killed after getting rich. Nobody would suspect it was me that was behind it, being 8 and all.

I'd take my money and support myself, but I'd move somewhere nice, get myself placed in some gifted children's program, and then eventually go to an Ivy League school the way I should've in real life.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

My legacy is the children I leave on this earth when my time is through.

I have a bad obsession with trying to be great at everything I do, at least that I'm passionate about. So to me, my only real legacy is whatever I'm able to accomplish before I die, and whether I can change the world.

As far as the question though, there are multiple times I could go back to, or at least that I think about all the time. Probably the early 1400s in Congo to warn them any way possible of the consequences of letting outside "missionaries" change their ways of life so much. For no personal gain, but for the love of the Motherland. :yep:

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F
  • Upvote 1

If I could go back in time I'd go back to 6th grade. Stop being a chubby, socially awkward total loser and start taking charge. Stop that part of my life early.

• Upvote 1

I still cringe about that girl like, 5 years ago.

So much cringing.

Why blotsfan? Why?

I still cringe about that girl like, 5 years ago.

So much cringing.

Why blotsfan? Why?

Thank god for modern medicine, though, right?

Talking about it is the first step. And nobody ambiguously alludes to something heavy like that if they're not ready to talk about it, at least subconsciously.If I could go back in time, I'd go back to around 3rd grade. I would have a plan set up with my dad prior to going back where he would tell me a list of things that he'd never have told 3rd grade me, that way I could prove that, "yes, dad, my consciousness is from the future, you need to listen to your 8 year old son and do as he says".After convincing him, I'd have us win the lottery or get mega-rich somehow, on the condition that he stays the fuck away from the cunt woman that he dated/was engaged to for about 7 years of our childhood.I'd use my cunning and smarts to get my mother thrown in jail or pay someone to have her killed after getting rich. Nobody would suspect it was me that was behind it, being 8 and all.I'd take my money and support myself, but I'd move somewhere nice, get myself placed in some gifted children's program, and then eventually go to an Ivy League school the way I should've in real life.

Lol, the fuck Zack? Damn thats some shit. Id make a movie bout that shit and it would win some awards muthafuckas.

• Upvote 1

Thank god for modern medicine, though, right?

I wish I had just gotten an STD...

If I could go back in time..

I never would've joined the Army. That's really my only complaint of life.

I don't really like to look at life with "regrets" because it makes it seem like I'm not happy with life when I am. But opportunities I missed out on like playing high school sports I wish I could do that. I played baseball for a year but not for the actual school team and I wish I would've played football and basketball and stuff. Even if I didn't make the teams to at least try.

I mean I would love to go back to high school and re-do it a bit knowing stuff I know now.

I'm with ATL on the money issue and everything with that. I mean I love getting the money and driving the nice car right now don't get me wrong. But what matters most to me is I have a VERY solid group of really good friends and I love that because I know a lot of people who don't get that in life. Knowing we're all there for each other no matter what is something that can't be replaced.