JetsFan4Life

2014 World Cup

Now that we're officially only one week away from the 2014 World Cup in Brazil I think it's time for it to have its own thread! So let's get started!

Go USA and Germany! :rock:

Italy is my pick to win it but I'll be rooting for us, Croatia, and Germany!

I won't post my official prediction yet, but I'm leaning towards the host country Brazil.

As per usual, I'll be rooting for the US, Italy, and Germany (home country/ethnic background). I'd like to see Suarez have a good World Cup, but not too good so Real Madrid are even more inclined to take him away haha. Liverpool's players should be heavily involved with England's success in the tourney so I hope they have a good tournament.

Overall, hoping for a fun tournament with lots and lots of goals.

• Upvote 1

Really looking forward to this. 2010 World Cup was what got me into soccer.

USA USA :rock:

It seems like people are picking a lot of South American teams to do well because they'll be used to the weather, although I think the climate will vary depending on exactly what part of Brazil they are playing in. I'll probably be rooting for Germany cause of Ozil and Muller, obviously not against us though

There really is nothing like the World Cup, such a special event.

USA, Germany, Italy for me.

Same reason as Mav. Would root for Greece too. My Grandfather is 100% Greek. Are they expected to be out early?

Edited by Bay

Same reason as Mav. Would root for Greece too. My Grandfather is 100% Greek. Are they expected to be out early?

as someone who knows very little about soccer at the international level I'll go ahead and weigh in on this, I think they'll at least get out of group play because they're in a pretty week group with Colombia, C'ote D'ivoire, and Japan, should be Colombia and Greece that get through, unfortunately once they get through group play they'll get someone from Group D: Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, and Italy, aside from CR (who probably has no chance of advancing in that group) those are all really tough teams, so it's tough to see them getting past the round of 16

Ghana + Nigeria + Germany for me.

The Motherland gon bring it home this year. :yep:

Fuck USA

• Downvote 1

Brazil is gonna dominate but I'm rooting for USA, Korea, and Switzerland.

Hm, my rankings based on who I think is more likely to win it. I hope I didn’t leave anyone out.

Favorites...
(A) Brazil
(B) Spain
(F) Argentina

(G) Germany

Dark Horses...
(G) Portugal
(D) Uruguay
(D) Italy
(H) Belgium
(E) France
© Colombia
(B) Netherlands
(D) England

Outside Chance...
(E) Switzerland
(B) Chile
(H) Russia
© Côte d'Ivoire

(G) United States
(A) Croatia
(A) Mexico
© Greece
(G) Ghana

Hopefuls...

(F) Nigeria
(E) Ecuador
(F) Bosnia and Herzegovina
© Japan
(H) Korea Republic
(H) Algeria
(A) Cameroon

Underdogs...
(B) Australia
(H) Honduras
(D) Costa Rica
(F) Iran

Anyway, I'm rooting for the Ghana, Cote D'Ivoire and France. USA as well, but if its USA vs. Ghana, I'll be rooting for the latter.

• Downvote 1

Never watch soccer except for the World Cup. And I'm just a regular white Norwegian guy so my ethnicity doesn't really come into play here. Go USA.

Oh but I guess... since USA never wins I'll have Italy as a backup team to cheer for. For when we lose. :D

Good to see some interest here. World Cup talk gun dominate the shoutbox. :yep:

Pretty good rankings, DMac. I'd move Colombia down a tier, though. No Falcao no party.

Don't you usually pull for the Super Eagles doe?

I'll be cheering for teams USA, USA and USA...MAAYYYYBEEE USA...

...because...Murica...

Funniest_Memes_freedom-huddle-merica-on-

Bg2rXimCMAA2ilJ.jpg

:yep:

I would actually bump Bosnia up a tier Dmac. I know a few Bosnians so I've watched their game, I think they have just as good a chance as USA. They're also in a fairly decent group if I remember correctly and think the can make it out of there.

Good to see some interest here. World Cup talk gun dominate the shoutbox. :yep:

Pretty good rankings, DMac. I'd move Colombia down a tier, though. No Falcao no party.

Don't you usually pull for the Super Eagles doe?

By default of how terrible the teams are that play where I lived in Africa, I tend to bandwagon whichever African teams will make it the farthest. Only team I've always cheered for is France.

I'd be lying if I said I knew Falcao was a no go for the whole WC.

I would actually bump Bosnia up a tier Dmac. I know a few Bosnians so I've watched their game, I think they have just as good a chance as USA. They're also in a fairly decent group if I remember correctly and think the can make it out of there.

THe difference between the two however is that while I think Ghana will beat USA, they have a better chance of beating them then Bosnia does of beating Argentina which I think is their first game.

Which would put them in an early hole, as IDK if their chances will be any better against Nigeria.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

Primary teams are USA and Spain. Wouldn't be mad if Germany won.

Bosnia could easily beat Nigeria.

Thinking about it more, people need to give Team USA more respect. People act like we're a scrappy underdog who has no shot to advance, but we're not and we do. Who does Portugal have outside of Ronaldo? We can beat them and Ghana and make the knock out round, where we'll probably face Belgium. Belgium is pretty nasty from what I've heard, but the only guys I know are Hazard who is SICK (Hazard was the 2nd best player in the EPL IMO this year) and Lukaku who is a big physical threat in the box, I think we can beat them though.

We're making the quarterfinals guys :yep:

Edited by BradyFan81
  • Upvote 1

Anyone have TV schedules on games?

Thinking about it more, people need to give Team USA more respect. People act like we're a scrappy underdog who has no shot to advance, but we're not and we do. Who does Portugal have outside of Ronaldo? We can beat them and Ghana and make the knock out round, where we'll probably face Belgium. Belgium is pretty nasty from what I've heard, but the only guys I know are Hazard who is SICK (Hazard was the 2nd best player in the EPL IMO this year) and Lukaku who is a big physical threat in the box, I think we can beat them though.

Yaya tho.

I'll post my predictions a little later but you're not crazy for thinking that. :nope:

USA got very unlucky for this first match up

I don't think it's so much disrespect to team USA as massive respect for Germany and Portugal, but I agree, after watching the Portugal/Mexico game (granted that was without Ronaldo) Portugal looked very beatable, and we really should be able to beat Ghana, history not withstanding, if we win those two games we've almost assured ourselves a ticket out of group play, if we can even draw Portugal then we'll have a shot based on goal differential, then there's the fact that we play Germany last, so if they beat Portugal and Ghana (which I think is expected) they may already effectively have their ticket out of the group

bottom line, I think this year's team USA is very good, but we got put in a ridiculously tough group (four teams that all got through group play in 2010) if we were in a weaker group I think we'd almost certainly get out, but we didn't so we're gonna have to work a little harder for it

I agree, I've been saying we can beat Portugal and obviously Ghana for a while now. I think realistically we need to edge out Ghana, at least draw with Portugal and go for damage control against Germany i/e lose by less than the rest. We beat Germany's B side last year (I was at the game) but Dempsey was in super form at that time.

Belgium is loaded in midfield and would be a lot better if Benteke was playing. They were my early dark horse before he got injured. But Lukaku is a beast. Should be a fun team to watch.

I agree, I've been saying we can beat Portugal and obviously Ghana for a while now. I think realistically we need to edge out Ghana, at least draw with Portugal and go for damage control against Germany i/e lose by less than the rest. We beat Germany's B side last year (I was at the game) but Dempsey was in super form at that time.

Belgium is loaded in midfield and would be a lot better if Benteke was playing. They were my early dark horse before he got injured. But Lukaku is a beast. Should be a fun team to watch.

funny, I was at that game too, though I've heard from some that it may have been more like Germany's C team and we got an awful own goal from Germany that we can't count on, I wouldn't expect to do much against Germany unless they're resting players since it's the third game (they could almost assure a top two spot from the first two games)

Own goal :0