Sign in to follow this  
southgadawg

Best scrambling QB?

If we are talking purely on RUNNING, ( qb option run or scrambling down field ) it would be between Cam or Kap. If we are talking mobility to avoid a sack and escape or keep a play alive its between Luck or Wilson. I find it to be two different things the way the article tried to make it one all over the place as dmac said.

Wilson is good at it, but he doesnt run as much as Cam or Colin. Not sure how that factors in. Of course, idk how Cam might act if he ever has more than one reliable target at WR.

A top 5 offense for sure. It would be like a madden game.

I'm not sure I really consider guys like Aaron Rodgers and Andrew Luck as "scramblers". They concentrate more on staying in the pocket, while the scramblers (although they may be pass first) don't worry about trying to step up before they move around behind the LOS.

My list of starting scramblers is pretty limited I think:

Wilson

Kaepernick

RG3

Vick

Newton

EJ Manuel

I'd take EJ out of that list. He's more of a "mobile" QB than a scrambler.

There's a difference between scrambling and running.

I'm slightly amazed that Ben Roethliesberger hasn't been mentioned. Year after year, he plays behind shit lines and runs for his life..and is always a force to bring down.

He's quicker than most people think, and he's been around the league long enough to evade defenders in the pocket.

Yeah. He doesn't have insane rushing numbers, but in terms of what he can do in the pocket he should at least be mentioned.

Not to forget Drew Brees and Rodgers as well.

I would say all 3 of them have elite pocket awareness, and extend the plays with their feet in a way that it buys them more time in the pocket to find the open man downfield without having to sprint like a mad man and still put up great numbers.

I think a majority of you have missed the mark and are far too enamored with Andrew Luck.

I'm slightly amazed that Ben Roethliesberger hasn't been mentioned. Year after year, he plays behind shit lines and runs for his life..and is always a force to bring down.

He's quicker than most people think, and he's been around the league long enough to evade defenders in the pocket.

Roethlisberger in his prime was seriously the best scrambling quarterback of all time (no joke) in my opinion.

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

Terry nailed it. IMO it isn't which QB is the best runner. The best SCRAMBLER is the guy who avoids pressure, picks the right spots to run and take what he can get and then get down or get out of bounds and lastly the guy who can deliver and accurate pass down the field while he's on the run. To me, Rodgers is still the best at that. There are some other awesome scramblers, but they have a little work before they're on Rodgers' level imo.

• Upvote 1

Rodgers. Dude is lethal at extending plays and is pretty damm accurate throwing it on the run

Aaron Rodgers throws the most accurate and tightest spirals on the run. He's definitely hands down the best QB throwing on the run.

Oh and Vick is still the best running QB. He can't read a defense or hold on to the ball, but the guy is still lightning fast and extremely elusive.

No lol. Cam is better than Vick in terms of pure running ability. So is Kaepernick.

Statistical analysis that says Luck is good at something, and everyone's take away is "LOLAndrewLuckLove?" Wow... The hate force is strong with this group. :lol:

I figured there would be at least one poster in this thread that didn't use this as a platform to shit on the kid.

I'm with you bro - I hate Indy like crazy, but I respect Luck. He is the real deal and in three years will be the best QB in the NFL.

Yeah Rodgers doesn't leave the pocket often, but when he does he almost always converts to first down. I also feel that Jay Cutler is a very underrated as a scrambler.

Roethlisberger in his prime was seriously the best scrambling quarterback of all time (no joke) in my opinion. Although I would have loved to see Randall Cunningham in today's NFL. The moves he put on defenders back in his days were just simply ridiculous. Dan Marino was also severely underrated in that specific category.

I agree on Roethlisberger - not only is he a decent scrambler, but even when the D gets a hold of him he is hard to bring down and regularly manages to get the ball away when in the clutches of defenders.