Sign in to follow this  
Dutch

Draft pick dreams

Considering at least your top 3 draft picks, who do you think they most resemble in the NFL, have the potential to turn into, or hope (realistically) they become?

:Eagles:

Pick #1: Marcus Smith - I hope Marcus Smith can turn into a much improved version of a 2011 Connor Barwin (homer in me prays Clay Matthews lol). Don't expect it in his first year but hopefully he can turn into a 10 a year sack guy. He's very athletic and may become a good asset in coverage. I think he has the ability to be effective in dropping back in coverage and rushing. Right now, they have Smith learning the JACK position (Barwins). That's interesting because that's the jack of all trades position. We might wind up having Barwin and Smith on the field at the same time and since both guys are versatile in dropping and rushing, offenses won't know who's doing what and we can disguise our intentions.

Pick #2: Jordan Matthews - I can only pray that he turns into a mediocre version of a Brandon Marshall with slightly better hands. He has great size, solid hands, locates the ball well and increases his game speed when he has the ball in his hands. I think he can become a great possession receiver for us with possible big play capability. I have high hopes for this kid.

Pick #3: Josh Huff - I hope he can become an improved version of Devone Bess tapped potential. Hope he can be an effective slot guy that can get in and out his routes quick and has good hands for the ball. He may be more dangerous after the catch as well.

Pick #1: Darqueze Dennard. Hopefully Dennard can turn out to be somewhat like Revis, at least, a poor mans' Revis. I think he will be the CB to take Hall's torch once he moves on from our CB ranks. Maybe Kirkpatrick will be his complementary piece.

Pick #2: Jeremy Hill. There is no definition for what I'm hoping of in Hill. The closest I can compare to is probably Frank Gore with better feet.

Pick #3: Will Clarke. Haven't seen too much tape on him but he seems like he could develop into a decent rotational piece. Think of a Gilberry-esque player.

Pick #4: Russell Bodine. Best case scenario? Above average center with top 10 ability. Just be a steady anchor.

From there on it gets rather misty. Guys after that are shots in the dark.

• Upvote 1

Pick #1: Darqueze Dennard. Hopefully Dennard can turn out to be somewhat like Revis, at least, a poor mans' Revis. I think he will be the CB to take Hall's torch once he moves on from our CB ranks. Maybe Kirkpatrick will be his complementary piece.

This is what I thought of Dennard too watching some tape on him seeing how he shadows receivers. He grabs often but I love the way he covers wide receivers. I was very high on Dennard and I'm eager to see how he translates to the NFL. He has the potential to be a great asset to that already good Bengals defense.

Everything I read about Jordan Matthews is great. The coaches all rave about his work ethic. He's not perfect, his hands could be more consistent, but I can't wait to see Chip Kelly get him out in space so Matthews can show what he can do with the ball in his hands. I'm just really a big fan of how this roster is being put together. Matthews, Cooper, Maclin and all our TE's plus a strong running game and an elite offensive line is going to make this team really tough and with Sproles and Huff all those easy completions and yards will be there to set our offense up. Not sure how you match up with this offense. Then you throw in the pace that it's run at...Gonna be really fun to watch this teams go up against the elite defenses of the NFCW this year.

Everything I read about Jordan Matthews is great. The coaches all rave about his work ethic. He's not perfect, his hands could be more consistent, but I can't wait to see Chip Kelly get him out in space so Matthews can show what he can do with the ball in his hands. I'm just really a big fan of how this roster is being put together. Matthews, Cooper, Maclin and all our TE's plus a strong running game and an elite offensive line is going to make this team really tough and with Sproles and Huff all those easy completions and yards will be there to set our offense up. Not sure how you match up with this offense. Then you throw in the pace that it's run at...Gonna be really fun to watch this teams go up against the elite defenses of the NFCW this year.

Yup. Like I said immediately after the draft, literately the perfect spot for Matthews to end up. I wasn't a big fan going into the draft, but this just goes to show you how a lot of us guys who make judgements on rookies are kind of silly because fit and surrounding talent can mean everything. For Jordan, the fit is perfect and thus my initial opinion on him is kinda of meaningless now because what Chip knows how to do is get his guys into space and that's where Matthews can shine.

:Texans:

1. Jadeveon Clowney -> Jevon Kearse

2. Xavier Su'a-Filo -> Logan Mankins

3. Louis Nix III -> Vince Wilfork/Casey Hampton

• Upvote 1

1st) Blake Bortles — Poor man's Ben Roethlisberger has to be the hope. Doesn't have the same arm (though with better foot mechanics and weight transfer his arm strength should increase, i.e. see Aaron Rodgers.) But has that same feel in the pocket that Big Ben has and is hard to bring down. Has scrambling ability and though he's not a burner he's effective when having to scramble and run. One thing that I feel pretty good about too is the kid's work ethic and commitment to getting better. That leads me to think he'll make strides with his mechanics (biggest flaw) and we'll see what we have.

2nd) Marqise LeeJeremy Maclin. I think they win in similar ways. Wasn't a big fan of Lee going in because of his catching technique and having trouble catching through contact (felt same with Jordan Matthews) BUT, just like with Matthews fitting with Chip's offense — Lee fits in Jedd Fisch's offense. He's going to get him into space. He showed how creative he can be in doing that with how he used Ace Sanders all over the field last year just to spark any type of offense. Lee's obviously a much better prospect than Ace Sanders, and one thing I think Jedd will do is get the ball to Lee quickly on screens and shorter routes and let his best qualities shine: insane acceleration, elusiveness, and YAC ability. One thing I also like is that Lee is learning from Jerry Sullivan, the much respected WR coach who has made quite the nice little player out of Cecil Shorts and when Blackmon was on the field we started to see him look dominant last year for that short 4 game stretch.

2nd) Allen RobinsonAnquan Boldin. It's not a perfect comp. imo, but it's slightly better than the other two guys I thought of in Justin Blackmon (iiiiirooonnnyyyy) and Jordy Nelson. But he's not as fast (long speed) as Nelson, and he's better at getting off the line, and going up and getting it than Blackmon. Robinson is great at getting off the line and the press (key to an X receiver), good hands and when he has the ball in his hands in space he has the vision of a RB to rack YAC. I feel like Fisch is gonna have Allen run similar routes he had Blackmon running for the short time he had him which proved very effective for the 4 games he was able to play. Only difference is Fisch sometimes had to play Blackmon out of the slot because of his struggles with quickness off the line and beating press coverage. Allen Robinson doesn't have those flaws. With the aforementioned Jerry Sullivan (who was absolutely in love with Robinson pre-draft and worked him out privately) I think there's tons of potential to be had out of this kid. Needs work on getting out of breaks quicker (Sullivan's specialty), and needs to use his body more than he has so far (sometimes plays like a finesse big play WR, when he has the body to be a dominate physical one) but the potential is great with this kid.

• Upvote 1

2nd) Marqise LeeJeremy Maclin.

2nd) Allen RobinsonAnquan Boldin.

Both interesting picks. I think if Allen Robinson's potential is tapped, he could be great. He's definitely tough like Boldin, can be a possession receiver while having big play capability but I think he would trump Boldin in jump balls and YAC yardage. Time will tell.

Paul Richardson - DeSean Jackson. Small, blazing speed, good returner, probably won't excel in receptions but will shit on safeties once a game and open up underneath routes for Kevin Norwood

Hs9Ogm.gif

^yes, he scored on that play

Cassius Marsh - Patrick Kerney. Huge build big motor guy.

ZdmwPQ.gif

Kevin Norwood - Brandon Lloyd. Muliti positional, not the fastest but impressive double team and acrobatic catches and ability to haul in the football even when the ball is not very well thrown.

cO9RxM.gif

Kevin Pierre Louis - Manny Lawson. This young linebacker did well in both coverage and occasional pass rushing. He was more than comfortable at all LB positions.

1NnjaR.gif

Edited by BC
  • Upvote 2

Mediocre version of Brandon Marshall? What lame kind of "dream" is that? Lmao...

In limited media access to OTAs so far, Jordan Matthews has looked like the best WR on the team, in my opinion, and it hasn't been close.

OROTY, get ready.

• Upvote 1

Round 1: Taylor Lewan: I've seen him compared to Jake Long, might just be because they're both from Michigan, but if he can get close to Long's level I'll be happy

Round 2: Bishop Sankey: I've seen him compared to Tiki Barber but without the fumbling issues, which would be phenominal

We didn't have a third round pick and for anyone after the fourth round I just hope they stick on the roster for a couple years, anything else is gravy

Edited by oochymp
  • Upvote 1

Round 1: Jake Matthews - Mike Kenn - If this guy lives up to his hype, I think he could be as good as Mike Kenn. Kenn held his own against guys like Lawrence Taylor regularly. Man, what a wet dream that would be.

Round 4: Devonta Freeman - Frank Gore - He's drawn a lot of comparisons to Gore, I haven't seen a ton of Freeman, but I've read enough about him to make me absolutely excited to see this kid in action. If he's half as good as Gore I will consider this a success.

• Upvote 1

1st) Blake Bortles — Poor man's Ben Roethlisberger has to be the hope. Doesn't have the same arm (though with better foot mechanics and weight transfer his arm strength should increase, i.e. see Aaron Rodgers.) But has that same feel in the pocket that Big Ben has and is hard to bring down. Has scrambling ability and though he's not a burner he's effective when having to scramble and run. One thing that I feel pretty good about too is the kid's work ethic and commitment to getting better. That leads me to think he'll make strides with his mechanics (biggest flaw) and we'll see what we have.

2nd) Marqise LeeJeremy Maclin. I think they win in similar ways. Wasn't a big fan of Lee going in because of his catching technique and having trouble catching through contact (felt same with Jordan Matthews) BUT, just like with Matthews fitting with Chip's offense — Lee fits in Jedd Fisch's offense. He's going to get him into space. He showed how creative he can be in doing that with how he used Ace Sanders all over the field last year just to spark any type of offense. Lee's obviously a much better prospect than Ace Sanders, and one thing I think Jedd will do is get the ball to Lee quickly on screens and shorter routes and let his best qualities shine: insane acceleration, elusiveness, and YAC ability. One thing I also like is that Lee is learning from Jerry Sullivan, the much respected WR coach who has made quite the nice little player out of Cecil Shorts and when Blackmon was on the field we started to see him look dominant last year for that short 4 game stretch.

2nd) Allen RobinsonAnquan Boldin. It's not a perfect comp. imo, but it's slightly better than the other two guys I thought of in Justin Blackmon (iiiiirooonnnyyyy) and Jordy Nelson. But he's not as fast (long speed) as Nelson, and he's better at getting off the line, and going up and getting it than Blackmon. Robinson is great at getting off the line and the press (key to an X receiver), good hands and when he has the ball in his hands in space he has the vision of a RB to rack YAC. I feel like Fisch is gonna have Allen run similar routes he had Blackmon running for the short time he had him which proved very effective for the 4 games he was able to play. Only difference is Fisch sometimes had to play Blackmon out of the slot because of his struggles with quickness off the line and beating press coverage. Allen Robinson doesn't have those flaws. With the aforementioned Jerry Sullivan (who was absolutely in love with Robinson pre-draft and worked him out privately) I think there's tons of potential to be had out of this kid. Needs work on getting out of breaks quicker (Sullivan's specialty), and needs to use his body more than he has so far (sometimes plays like a finesse big play WR, when he has the body to be a dominate physical one) but the potential is great with this kid.

I really like the Jags receivers for a young and raw QB. The Jags will have a lot of opportunities to give Bortles easy completions and build his confidence some and the Jags will have the opportunity to keep these guys together for a long time so they can grow together and build their chemistry. Jags are definitely headed in the right direction. If Joeckel can turn it around and play better on the left side, the Jags are really a much better team than last year. Love what Gus Bradley is doing with that team. With the draft class Houston just had and Andrew Luck QB'ing the Colts, the AFCS could be a division to watch in the near future.

• Upvote 1

If we're going really optimistic here...

Jason Verrett: I have seen his upside compared more than once to the great Antoine Winfield. I obviously love the comparison, and stylistically I can see it fitting. They're both smaller physical corners. I think Verrett's role in the pros will be as a starter in base packages and a slot corner in sub packages (like what Leon Hall does at the moment). From inside, he can get in the face of slot receivers who are often the QB's first read on 3rd downs. And he will always be a threat to blitz from that spot. He's a great run defender like Winfield was, and I actually think he's a better athlete and possesses better ball skills. Whether or not he puts it all together to the extent of the retired veteran remains to be seen.

Jerry Attaochu: I think Jerry's upside could be something similar to Cameron Wake from his 3-4 OLB days. They have darn near identical builds and both of them win with first step explosion. Neither have elite flexibility around the edge, but enough to capitalize on the advantage they gain with that first move. And like Wake, I don't think Jerry is going to be much of a threat in coverage as a rush linebacker. His best work is likely going to come as a down lineman in even fronts where he just allowed to run to a spot and bring the QB down. Jerry is obviously a really raw technician compared to Wake, but the latter also spent two years in the CFL before he even played in an actual NFL game.

Chris Watt: I'd place Watt's upside in the Kevin Zeitler arena. Both rely more on technique than athleticism and both have looked their best as zone blockers in the running game. Watt looks to thrive in pass pro by staying under control and keeping himself square to the opponent, just like the current Bengal. And both are good on the second level. Zeitler is a little bigger and stronger at this point, and handles man blocking assignments better. But it's a level that I think Watt can grow into.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Fuller: A less athletic Patrick Peterson. Well built corner who will be 200lb+ and over 6ft with long arms and legs. The reason I really like this comparison is because Fuller's at his best when he is locking up man to man and shutting down a receiver much like Peterson. The Bear's won't be afraid to let him travel around and play the #1 receiver after a few years of proving himself. However, for what Fuller lacks in athleticism compared to Peterson...his physical tackling ability (Played LB before) is something alot of corners don't have.

Ego Ferguson: Nick Fairey. It is probably a 50/50 split on who likes Fairley, but from college and until this day he has been an extremely strong disruptive interior linemen. I believe with Ego's size and natural strength he has a good chance to at least take up space at the 1 tech. Down the line with some development with his hands and moves then you are looking at a Nick Fairley type of player who can hold the point, but also flash quick disruption.

Will Sutton: Gerald McCoy. Watch him as a junior before he put on over 20lbs and you can easily see him becoming a quick hands technician like McCoy at the 3 tech. The Bears will most likely not allow him to come in weighing too much over 300lbs and working to recover his agility should put him on the path to regaining his dominant pass rush ability.

• Upvote 1

Round 1: Taylor Lewan: I've seen him compared to Jake Long, might just be because they're both from Michigan, but if he can get close to Long's level I'll be happy

Round 2: Bishop Sankey: I've seen him compared to Tiki Barber but without the fumbling issues, which would be phenominal

We didn't have a third round pick and for anyone after the fourth round I just hope they stick on the roster for a couple years, anything else is gravy

Lewan probably compares more so to Roos than he does Long, which obviously is funny considering he's now on the same team as Roos. Roos has been a guy for nearly a decade now who has excelled at everything but never really dominated, which is what I see Lewan being too. One thing I hope Lewan picks up from Roos, though, is Roos' calm demeanor. It'd be one thing if this was 2000 and not 2014, but refs are calling personal fouls and other penalties so often it's not even funny. Lewan could cost us a lot if he doesn't calm his ass down. I hope he's taking Roos' mentorship to heart, cause if he does, he'll take us in to having 30 or so straight years of rock solid LT play, going from Hopkins to Roos to him.

• Upvote 1

I think Jordan Matthews' upside is Marques Colston.

I think Jordan Matthews' upside is Marques Colston.

That's actually a great comparison. He seems like he could turn out to be a possession receiver like Colston but much faster. I would be more than satisfied if he could put out consistent production like Marques Colston.

I don't want to discredit Marques Colston or his body of work... But I think Matthews' potential is higher than that. I think he is actually gonna be closer to a Jordy Nelson type. You aren't a burner, but definitely not a possession guy either. Like Nelson, they may falsely categorize him as a possession type guy, but he will be far from that. Deceptively fast guy who is always getting behind coverage and making big plays. His stats will be better than that of Nelson, but strictly skillset wise, I like the comparison.

Oh... And he is working out with AJ Green and Calvin Johnson this offseason. 2 of the 3 best WRs in the game behind bozo Josh Gordon.

Pretty convinced he will win ROTY, honestly.

Edited by Favre4Ever

:Texans:

1. Jadeveon Clowney -> Jevon Kearse

2. Xavier Su'a-Filo -> Logan Mankins

3. Louis Nix III -> Vince Wilfork/Casey Hampton

I am liking Fiedorowicz's potential also - he could eventually be another Gronk as he can really block as well.

If Nix's knee is good, I see him at least as good as Dontari Poe after he learns the ropes.

I am high on Su'a Filo as well - he is very athletic for a big dude and can run.

Clowney will immediately benefit from having Watt on the line and could challenge the rookie sack record.

Edited by Wattafan

I don't see Fiedorowicz or Nix's athleticism coming anywhere near Gronk and Poe's respectively. I'd say the upside for CJ is Heath Miller. And I thought the Wilfork/Hampton comps as something to hope for were pretty good.

• Upvote 2

I don't see Fiedorowicz or Nix's athleticism coming anywhere near Gronk and Poe's respectively. I'd say the upside for CJ is Heath Miller. And I thought the Wilfork/Hampton comps as something to hope for were pretty good.

Nailed the CJ and Miller comparison. When I was watching him before the draft that is exactly who I kept being reminded of. CJ is a guy that if you watch closely can really really run crisp routes especially his last year, but lacks speed and quickness. He will get open in zone and he will be a blocking machine, but he isn't the match up nightmare Gronk is. And Nix is actually a pretty sneaky athlete, but doesn't have the work ethic to be on Poe's level. I think Wilfork makes more sense cause he had quickness for a big guy.

• Upvote 1

Nailed the CJ and Miller comparison. When I was watching him before the draft that is exactly who I kept being reminded of. CJ is a guy that if you watch closely can really really run crisp routes especially his last year, but lacks speed and quickness. He will get open in zone and he will be a blocking machine, but he isn't the match up nightmare Gronk is. And Nix is actually a pretty sneaky athlete, but doesn't have the work ethic to be on Poe's level. I think Wilfork makes more sense cause he had quickness for a big guy.

Yes, and comparing a guy's upside to Miller is no slight in my opinion. I think Heath Miller is a heck of a player. He just isn't that super athletic receiving game nightmare that Gronk is.

And I'd say "sneaky athlete" is a fair way to describe Nix. As opposed to Poe, who is an elite athlete.

I don't want to discredit Marques Colston or his body of work... But I think Matthews' potential is higher than that. I think he is actually gonna be closer to a Jordy Nelson type. You aren't a burner, but definitely not a possession guy either. Like Nelson, they may falsely categorize him as a possession type guy, but he will be far from that. Deceptively fast guy who is always getting behind coverage and making big plays. His stats will be better than that of Nelson, but strictly skillset wise, I like the comparison.

Oh... And he is working out with AJ Green and Calvin Johnson this offseason. 2 of the 3 best WRs in the game behind bozo Josh Gordon.

Pretty convinced he will win ROTY, honestly.

I'm only hoping. I think Matthews has a high ceiling as well. His work ethic and determination is amazing. I'm seeing some really good qualities from this kid early in and I just hope it translate onto the field. And that's just awesome that he's working out with Megatron, A.J Green and Demairyus Thomas (heard he's going to be there as well). I hope he learns as much as you can from some of the best and the game. If this kid has even half of Jerry Rice's (his cousin) determination / work ethic, that would be tremendous lol.

I think the CJ and Heath Miller comparison are fairly sound, so I won't argue too much. I do think though that CJ has more raw athleticism, speed, and quickness than Miller though. I wouldn't say on the level of Gronk or whatever, which is why I am not going to argue the comparison... but he can be an all around improved version of Miller.