Sign in to follow this  
Cherry

Chiefs release Brandon Flowers

Brandon Flowers’ six-year run with the Chiefs has come to an end.

The team announced his release on Friday, shortly after Flowers hinted toward the news with a post on Twitter.

Flowers was also was not a great fit in new defensive coordinator Bob Sutton’s scheme, which relies a great deal on press-man coverage, and Flowers struggled both outside and inside on the way to posting a Pro Football Focus grade of minus-5.9, which was his worst since 2008.

But Flowers battled knee issues and also performed well as a nickel corner in the Chiefs’ playoff loss to Indianapolis, at least before he went down because of a concussion.

The selection of cornerback Phillip Gaines in the third round now, in hindsight, appears to have marked the beginning of the end of Flowers’ tenure in Kansas City.

Flowers was set to have a cap number of $10.5 million this season, with additional cap numbers of $11.5 million in 2015 and $9.75 million in 2016. According to salary cap analyst Joel Corry, the Chiefs save $7.25 million this year and $7.5 million next year by cutting Flowers, who also had a $2 million bonus for reporting to training camp this year.

Was wondering when they'd let go of him. He just wasn't in the right scheme, but I think he has the potential to be a top 10 corner again, if he goes to the right team.

Edited by Chernobyl426

I'm pretty happy to have him out of the division. Philip Gaines and Sean Smith are gonna have to handle a lot of shit now.

Kuharsky said Titans are interested in bringing him in.

@Paul Kuharsky
Hearing #Titans are assessing whether Brandon Flowers would fit. Which is just what you'd expect them to do.

Really surprised they couldn't get anything for him, and I'm sure they've been trying to deal him

Rapoport reports that the Falcons have been monitoring Flowers' availability, and they could be ready to pounce. Second-year pros Desmond Trufant and Robert Alford are a very promising duo, but the group lacks depth. A Flowers addition would give the Falcons one of the best trios in the league. New Falcons front office member Scott Pioli signed Flowers to his "$48.75 million extension" in Kansas City. (Flowers only got half that money) This marriage makes a lot of sense, and the Falcons have the cap room to get it done.

Yes please! That would be absolutely fantastic for the Falcons. I'm not convinced that Flowers has just fell off a cliff in the matter of a season and a half. I'm almost positive that this guy (who still has plenty of years ahead of him btw) is just in a bad scheme for his play style. The Falcons would be a perfect fit for him, not to mention that Pioli is in love with this guy. Bring him home TD/Pioli!

• Upvote 1

Thank you Andy. Thank you.

Careful what you wish for guys... He's not the Flowers of a couple of years ago. Remember what happened with Carr when he left? So many people said he was better than Flowers, and he's been underwhelming to say the least. I don't wanna say Flowers is done, but I think Flowers is done.

Sweet Jesus.

Falcons. Make it happen, would fit well in our defense :yep:

Careful what you wish for guys... He's not the Flowers of a couple of years ago. Remember what happened with Carr when he left? So many people said he was better than Flowers, and he's been underwhelming to say the least. I don't wanna say Flowers is done, but I think Flowers is done.

We would have the least to lose most likely. Yanking him off the FA market at this point would likely mean that he would be heading into the season as the nickel. Trufant and Alford, at least IMO, are pretty much locked as our outside duo.

The guy is an elite talent at corner. He didn't fit the Chiefs new D very well, and got burned A LOT last year. Hopefully he can return to form... And preferably, not in the NFC North.

I think Flowers can flourish in the right system. I could see Flowers fitting in with the Steelers, Bears, Bucs, or Colts.

Edited by Dutch

Since he had his best years with Rac, I'd be pretty ecstatic if the Texans were able to bring him in.

Brandon Flowers is 28 years old and made his first Pro Bowl in 2013. That honor was mostly a lifetime achievement award, but there's no doubt he's been among the NFL's top 20 cornerbacks over the last five years. He doesn't fit the normal profile of a player released in June.

Cut by the Kansas City Chiefs on Friday because of salary cap concerns, Flowers immediately should become the most sought after free agent in an otherwise underwhelming market.

Flowers is coming off a mediocre season, but this release was more about money and the team's new coaching staff. NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport noted that Flowers did not love playing on the inside last year and could have skipped minicamp next week. He was on the trade block earlier this offseason, and this move will save the Chiefs $7.5 million against the salary cap. (Alex Smith says thanks.) Kansas City had to create cap room, and this staff prefers bigger cornerbacks. But Flowers was still probably the Chiefs' best player at the position.

Flowers will not lack for suitors. If he had been a free agent back in March, he would have cracked our top 25 free agents. Here are some potential landing spots:

The Favorites

1. Atlanta Falcons: Rapoport reports that the Falcons have been monitoring Flowers' availability, and they could be ready to pounce. Second-year pros Desmond Trufant and Robert Alford are a very promising duo, but the group lacks depth. A Flowers addition would give the Falcons one of the best trios in the league. New Falcons front office member Scott Pioli signed Flowers to his "$48.75 million extension" in Kansas City. (Flowers only got half that money) This marriage makes a lot of sense, and the Falcons have the cap room to get it done.

2. Houston Texans: There's another direct connection from Kansas City here. Defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel coached Flowers, who is perfect for his system. Flowers could combine with Johnathan Joseph and Kareem Jackson to form a strong cornerback group.

Logical fits

3. Carolina Panthers: General manager Dave Gettleman has taken his salary cap medicine for much of the offseason, but their huge need at cornerback is hard to ignore.

4. Detroit Lions: Flowers would be a massive upgrade fromChris Houston, who was released on Friday.

5. New York Jets: Dee Milliner and Dimitri Patterson are a grisly-looking starting combination. Can GM John Idzik move quickly enough?

6. San Francisco 49ers: This is totally subjective, but signing Flowers just feels like a 49ers kind of move. The 49ers have a lot of players at the position, but not many they can rely on.

7. Oakland Raiders: They sure like to spend money. If anything, Flowers is too young to fit their free-agent profile.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000358558/article/seven-landing-spots-for-brandon-flowers?campaign=Twitter_atl

I doubt he ends up in Carolina given the cap space we have and what he would probably demand price wise if he did I would gladly have him in though if he would come at a reasonable price

Follow duh moneh!

He's gonna be a Raider :yep:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000358894/article/brandon-flowers-reportedly-contacted-by-10-teams

Brandon Flowers reportedly contacted by 10 teams

When Brandon Flowers was sent packing by the Kansas City Chiefs on Friday, we figured the formerPro Bowl cornerback wouldn't be unemployed for long.

Aaron Wilson of The Baltimore Sun hinted as much Monday, reporting that Flowers has been contacted by 10 clubs, including the Baltimore Ravens, Minnesota Vikings, Atlanta Falcons and Detroit Lions.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport immediately named theFalcons as a likely suitor after Flowers was released. With former Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli camped in Atlanta's front office, the team has monitored the cornerback's status dating back to when Flowers wasdangled as trade bait before the draft.

The Lions certainly need secondary help after cutting Chris Houston, but the Vikings loom as a more puzzling landing spot: Mike Zimmer favors a heavy press-coverage scheme similar to the one Flowers struggled under in Kansas City last season.

Baltimore makes plenty of sense. They could use a third cover man to replace Corey Graham behindLardarius Webb and Jimmy Smith. Flowers would amount to yet another cunning addition by general manager Ozzie Newsome, but the Ravens aren't the only team hovering.

Look for Flowers to land a new gig by week's end.

Edited by Dutch

Love to see him on the Ravens, that would be pretty damn sweet lol

He'll go to Baltimore because fuck you, Zack.

When asked why he chose the Ravens, Flowers said, "Well, I really wanted to play for LeBeau, but there was this Steelers fan named Zack in Nebraska, and he sounded like an asshole, so I chose Baltimore."

:p

• Upvote 2

If he had been bad for a couple years, I might buy this... but when QBs passer ratings DOUBLED against him for one year after getting a new coach / DC / scheme? I don't think the problem is him being "done". We'll see though.

If he had been bad for a couple years, I might buy this... but when QBs passer ratings DOUBLED against him for one year after getting a new coach / DC / scheme? I don't think the problem is him being "done". We'll see though.

That's the thing though: it HAS been a couple of seasons now. The numbers weren't so overwhelming until last year, but he's been falling off gradually. It just so happened that last year he fell right off the edge. He's been getting beat up since late 2011. QB's just completely disrespected him last season.

I think that if he ends up in a complimentary roll somewhere, it could really work out great. He hasn't forgotten how to play or anything. He just can't play step-for-step cover corner anymore. He's not gonna challenge most #1's anymore. I just don't see it.

I know stats aren't everything, but just for perspective... QBs had a rating of 65 throwing at him the year before last. He had a bunch of PDs, and one of the lowest completion % throwing into his coverage for any CB with as many snaps as him... Not mention PFF ranked him 7th overall (again, take it for what it is worth, maybe not much...)

If that's falling off, sign me up.

Per Rotoworld.com:

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Steelers are also "monitoring" free agent CB Brandon Flowers "closely."
Flowers is a hot commodity. He'll spend the next two days in San Diego visiting the Chargers, but is also on the Patriots', Ravens', Falcons', and Vikings' radars. In Pittsburgh, Cortez Allen is the top corner with Ike Taylor currently penciled in on the opposite side. Taylor showed his age and was torched last season. Flowers would be a significant upgrade. Jun 18 - 5:04 PM
  • Upvote 1