Sign in to follow this  
BradyFan81

When will a QB throw for 6,000 yards in a season?

Something that's kind of been bothering me the past few years about the NFL is how meaningless the passing numbers and stats have become. I mean Matthew Stafford threw for 5,000 yards a few years ago. This year Peyton threw for 5,477 yards. If this trend keeps continuing then eventually we'll have someone throwing for 6,000 yards. It's just not the same league that I fell in love with. Any scrub QB can have a 4,500 yard, 30 TD season. Most of this is due to all the rules being catered to the offenses as we all know.

You can't touch a receiver without getting PI or illegal contact, and you have to be extra careful when sacking/hitting the QB that you don't hit him too low or too high. Like I hold my breath every time a QB gets hit now and my first instinct is to think "Is there a flag?"

So my questions to you are

1. Do you think we've sort of reached the apex in terms of passing efficiency? Like will passing numbers continue to climb to previously unthinkable heights or will it plateau? Will we see a 6,000 yard passer someday or is 5,500 yards about the highest that someone will be able to get in a 16 game season?

2. Has the massive growth of passing and offense in the NFL the past ~7-8 years changed your feelings on the sport at all? For me it has definitely made me care less about the sport than I used to. The NFL used to be BY FAR my favorite sport but now it's definitely way down the list. Not sure if others share my feelings on this or if people actually like this arena league garbage the sport has turned into under Goodell.

Also yes I realize that my team's QB has benefited from these rules. But I enjoyed the game much more back when defenses actually had a fighting chance against top offenses in the NFL.

Edited by BradyFan81

This year when Nick Foles does it. Obviously.

• Upvote 2

I don''t like how the NFL is now. Hell I remember when passing for 4000 yards in a season was an amazing season. I remember when Trent Green was being praised for having 3 4000 yd seasons in a row. Its getting to the point where records don't even matter anymore because someone will just come on in and break it in like 3 seasons after the fact and it will get worse if it goes to 18 games. The new NFL has also added value to some positions while decreasing others and in the case of the fullback getting rid of the position entirely pretty much.

Edited by monstersofthemidway

Something that's kind of been bothering me the past few years about the NFL is how meaningless the passing numbers and stats have become. I mean Matthew Stafford threw for 5,000 yards a few years ago. This year Peyton threw for 5,477 yards. If this trend keeps continuing then eventually we'll have someone throwing for 6,000 yards. It's just not the same league that I fell in love with. Any scrub QB can have a 4,500 yard, 30 TD season. Most of this is due to all the rules being catered to the offenses as we all know.

You can't touch a receiver without getting PI or illegal contact, and you have to be extra careful when sacking/hitting the QB that you don't hit him too low or too high. Like I hold my breath every time a QB gets hit now and my first instinct is to think "Is there a flag?"

So my questions to you are

1. Do you think we've sort of reached the apex in terms of passing efficiency? Like will passing numbers continue to climb to previously unthinkable heights or will it plateau? Will we see a 6,000 yard passer someday or is 5,500 yards about the highest that someone will be able to get in a 16 game season?

2. Has the massive growth of passing and offense in the NFL the past ~7-8 years changed your feelings on the sport at all? For me it has definitely made me care less about the sport than I used to. The NFL used to be BY FAR my favorite sport but now it's definitely way down the list. Not sure if others share my feelings on this or if people actually like this arena league garbage the sport has turned into under Goodell.

Also yes I realize that my team's QB has benefited from these rules. But I enjoyed the game much more back when defenses actually had a fighting chance against top offenses in the NFL.

The way the game is set up at the moment the passing game is favoured.

I have a feeling Andrew Luck could be the first to reach that mark.

Indy has acquired some real weapons for him to throw to so after a season or two to develop that combination and understanding we could well see him get to that mark.

Stafford gets another big target WR and throws it 800 times in one season. CJ will have around 2000, Ebron 1250, and the other star 1500. Rest will come from other lesser guys.

Edited by Chernobyl426

The answer to this question is: Hopefully never.

The league is on a very slippery slop towards becoming a fucking video game. Nobody wants to see that.

It would be really tough, and the team that does it would have to never run the ball. It's possible though. Last year manning averaged 335/ypg, and you would only need to average 375 to throw for 6000. He threw for 5400+ and we still had over 1900 yards on the ground.

If we ever see an 18-game season, it's a certainty.

Most passing yards, one season

• Doug Flutie (1991) 6,619 yards on 730 throws. (9.07 YPA)

So with an 18 game season, it'll only be a matter of time.