Which TE's truly stand out to you? Use whatever criterion you need.

1. Vernon Davis. :49ers: The only thing holding him back is a QB who doesn't read the entire field. He's a complete playmaker.

2. Robin Gronkowski. :Patriots: Availability is the best attribute a player can have, but when you're this dominant, you can almost get away with only being healthy for half a season.

3. Jason Witten. :Cowboys: He may being get old and slowing down, but he's as reliable as it gets.

4. Greg Olsen. :panthers: Being Cams first and last option, Olsen really blossomed as a reliable target.

5. Julius Thomas. :Broncos: Let's get this out of the way, Thomas was a terrible blocker and made it difficult for our run game to break open on his side. However he might just be the biggest, most dangerous, and explosive option in the league.

6. Charles Clay. :dolphins: Prepare your anuses, the Claymaker is coming.

7. Jordan Cameron. :Browns: Here's where the depth at this position starts falling apart. The rest of the guys coming up have big flaws in their game, be it age, speed, hands, or just being terrible. Cameron at the very least looked good no matter who was throwing him the rock. Well, Jason Campbell doesn't count.

8. Jordan Reed. :Redskins: He looked good for the few games he played. I'll ride his potential.

9. Zach Miller. :Seahawks: May have been the Seahawks best offensive lineman last year. Also, his hands don't suck. Good enough for me.

10. Heath Miller. :Steelers: He's getting older, slowing down some, and is actually no longer Ben's most reliable option. Still good enough though.

Sir not appearing on this list: Jimmy Graham.

Jimmy Graham is a wide receiver.

Let's hear it.

Edited by RazorStar

1. Vernon Davis :49ers: I put Davis here last year and got ripped to shreds. But I still think this is correct. He has all the receiving ability you could ask for and a pretty darn good blocker.

2. Rob Gronkowski :patriots: If we're not factoring health here, I'm going with Gronk at #2. He's not quite the receiver that Graham is, but he's close in addition to being a better blocker.

3. Jimmy Graham :Saints: I'm going to consider him a tight end. And as such, he's got to be here. I value dual threat players at the position, but his receiving ability makes too big an impact not to have him right near the top.

4. Jason Witten :Cowboys: Not a dynamic receiver, but a consistent one. And I've found that I was underrating his blocking.

5. Heath Miller :Steelers: When healthy, Miller is very close to Witten in my opinion. Not quite as good of a pass catcher, but arguably a better blocker.

6. Greg Olsen :panthers: Another strong dual threat TE. I don't believe he gets enough love because he isn't a FF stud, but I love guys who can get it done in both phases.

7. Jordan Cameron :Browns: This is the point in the list where we get into the dynamic receivers who are rather one dimensional, and not dominant enough to make me overlook their blocking deficiencies.

8. Julius Thomas :Broncos: Thomas may develop as a blocker, which would move him up this list. He's not purely a result of Peyton Manning, but I do believe the TD total is partially a function of the offense.

9. Antonio Gates :Chargers: Gates is fading, but he's still one of the more dangerous players in the middle of the field. He consistently draws double teams, showingt that defenses really respect him.

10. Martellus Bennett :Bears: Bennett's blocking fell off some in 2013, but he still has the capability of being a well-rounded TE. I'll be interested to see which direction he trends this season.

This position is chock full of high upside youngsters who could be replacing some aging vets in the top 10 pretty soon. In no particular order Ladarius Green, Dwayne Allen, Charles Clay, Jordan Reed, Zach Ertz, Tyler Eifert, Dennis Pitta, and Kyle Rudolph all come to mind.

1. Jimmy Graham

2. Rob Gronkowski

3. Julius Thomas

4. Vernon Davis

5. Jordan Cameron

6. Jason Witten

7. Jordan Reed

8. Charles Clay

9. Greg Olsen

10. Eric Ebron

• Downvote 9

f25859aaa99db445395e93faf34dedd1dce1fe74

he calls himself a TE, so I'm gonna call him a TE, anyway:

1. Vernon Davis

2. Jimmy Graham

3. Antonio Gates

4. Jordan Cameron

5. Jason Witten

6. Rob Gronkowski (would be higher if he could stay healthy)

7. Julius Thomas

8. Heath Miller

9. Greg Olsen

10. Marcedes Lewis

EDIT: somehow I forgot Gonzo had retired, I think I could still argue for his inclusion in the top ten, but probably best to keep it to active players

Edited by oochymp
  • Upvote 1

First I'd like to say it's strange making a list without Tony G...but here goes :(

1. Vernon Davis

2. Rob Gronkowski

3. Jason Witten

4. Julius Thomas

5. Greg Olsen

6. Heath Miller

7. Jordan Cameron

8. Antonio Gates

9. The Black Unicorn

10. Jordan Reed

• Upvote 1

1. Jimmy Graham

2. Rob Gronkowski

3. Julius Thomas

4. Vernon Davis

5. Jordan Cameron

6. Jason Witten

7. Jordan Reed

8. Charles Clay

9. Greg Olsen

10. Eric Ebron

Ebron hasn't touched a ball in an NFL game.

I know Owen Daniels has been hit with injury in the last few seasons but he managed to make Matt Schaub look halfway decent at times - no mean feat in itself.

He has great hands.

Edited by Wattafan

1. Vernon Davis - Dominant in every aspect there is at being a tight end. Raising his level of play in the post-season doesn't hurt either.

2. Jimmy Graham - Fuck you, Razor( :wub: ), he's a TE.

3. Jason Witten - Love me some Witten :wub: Elite blocker, arguably most reliable target in the NFL(counting WRs, TEs and RBs), and as consistent as it gets.

4. Rob Gronkowski - Lrn2StayHealthypls

5. Jordan Cameron - Putting up good numbers with mostly garbage at QB? Got my vote.

6. Greg Olsen - Get ready to be thrown the ball 6,000 times, cause Newton ain't got no one else to go to.
7. Julius Thomas - I mean, I get his season last year..but injuries or not, 1 catch in 2 years without Peyton? k.

8. Heath Miller - Used to be the poor man's Jason Witten. Still decent enough, I guess.

9. Antonio Gates - I honestly think I'm just putting him here because of what he used to be, and not because of what he is now. Still decent, I guess.

10. Delanie Walker - Because I haven't said any homeristic things yet this off-season. :troll: But no seriously, the 8-10 spots are gigantic toss ups. Bunch of people who can fit in these spots.

Jimmy Graham and Julius Thomas aren't TEs, so my list might take awhile to put together.

1. Vernon Davis :49ers: One of the most physically gifted TEs to ever play.

2. Jimmy Graham :Saints: Glorified wide receiver who does shit to block, but is so good at receiving, it doesn't matter.

3. Rob Gronkowski :patriots: Great all-around player. Injury issues is the only thing holding him under Graham.

4. Jordan Cameron :Browns: Cameron-Gordon was the most dominant tandem of TE-WR I saw last year. He may be young and tough to fully judge based on his inexperience, but he could be #1 on this list in a few years.

5. Greg Olsen :panthers: Only consistent threat Newton has had other than Steve Smith. Not a world-changer but a key piece to the puzzle. I'd love to have him on my team any day.

6. Jason Witten :Cowboys: Got rather buried over the past few years but remains a great player for the Cowboys. In his prime he'd be top 3, but he is fading fast.

7. Antonio Gates :Chargers: Jason Witten 2.0. He still is good but not great. He needs to be respected by defenses though.

8. Martellus Bennett :Bears: You kind of get overshadowed when you're lined up alongside Marshall and Jeffery, but even with that Bennett still has solid production.

9. Julius Thomas :Broncos: Peyton's latest project. Without Peyton he is a physically gifted nobody. If he starts blocking, we can talk of him like more than a receiver with huge size.

10. Jermaine Gresham :Bengals: Gresham has his flaws, but the guy is a mammoth. When he runs down the field it looks as if he is walking, and defenders are simply bouncing off of him. He has a huge stride that not many players can throw off balance. He has effort issues, but for the most part puts in his work. Call me a homer, but Gresham is in the top 10.

Would people seriously take Davis over Gronk if they both were healthy? I mean I like the guy, but he isn't on the same level as Graham and Gronk in terms of receiving.

I can understand taking him over Graham because he doesn't block, but Gronk is a very good blocker.

Edited by AllYouNeedIsLovie
  • Downvote 1

Would people seriously take Davis over Gronk if they both were healthy? I mean I like the guy, but he isn't on the same level as Graham and Gronk in terms of receiving.

I can understand taking him over Graham because he doesn't block, but Gronk is a very good blocker.

I'd put a healthy Gronk right up there with the top two

also, am I really that far off in my perception of Gates? he was fourth in the league among TEs in receptions and third in yardage and was second on his team in both stats, so it's not just a product of a pass heavy offense, why does nobody else have him above 7?

Have we ever seen Davis working with a QB anywhere near as good as Tom Brady or Drew Brees?

I'm not so sure he wouldn't be putting up comparable numbers in that type of situation.

It's a close call between him and Gronk because the latter truly is a good blocker. I can see it both ways.

No, but it's not like Kaepernick is a scrub. I think Gronk and Graham could at least put up 1,000 yards with Kap throwing to them. Other than 09 and last year, Davis' receiving numbers really haven't been that great.

I'd put a healthy Gronk right up there with the top two

also, am I really that far off in my perception of Gates? he was fourth in the league among TEs in receptions and third in yardage and was second on his team in both stats, so it's not just a product of a pass heavy offense, why does nobody else have him above 7?

Gates is a lousy blocker. That's why I don't have him higher.

No, but it's not like Kaepernick is a scrub. I think Gronk and Graham could at least put up 1,000 yards with Kap throwing to them. Other than 09 and last year, Davis' receiving numbers really haven't been that great.

If a guy can put up 52/850/13 with Kaep or 78/965/13 with Smith, I don't think it's a stretch at all to project ~85/1350/15 with a player of Brees' or Brady's quality. Kaep's no scrub, but the step up in passing ability from him to those other two is still enormous. Not to mention the offensive systems.

Edited by KempBolt

I find it interesting that since razor had Vernon number 1 everyone else did too. Just saying. I know you had VD first in other lists, Kemp. I still think Jimmy Graham is the most dangerous because of the QB he has and offense he plays in.

I'll dig up my TE list/notes.

I need to see the snaps but for now I'm calling him a TE still.

Best of the best:

Jimmy Graham

Rob Gronkowski

Next batch of consistent vets:

Antonio Gates

Vernon Davis

Jason Witten

Tony Gonzalez

Owen Daniels

Greg Olsen

Heath Miller

The need to see it over time guys:

Julius Thomas

Kyle Rudolph

Martellus Bennett

Jordan Reed

Charles Clay

Jordan Cameron

Then there's guys like Jermaine Gresham (who has been a big disappointment this year), Jermichael Finley, Brent Celek, etc. Delanie Walker.

Dennis Pitta injured.

I think the top 6-7 is pretty clear. Does the order of the 2nd tier really matter?

Edited by Bay

Bay you know I'm a trendsetter.

IDK why people negged BC for having Ebron on his list. Clearly he's already one of the best tight ends in the NFL...

And before anyone calls me a homer, please note, according to my profile I'm a Packers fan...

The Interior Decorator trolls are real.

1. :Saints: Jimmy Graham - People can say what they want about his blocking. Jimmy Graham has put up more TDs than any other receiving option WR or TE in the league in the past 3 years. This is a revolutionized passing league and his production speaks for itself. Can't argue with his production.

2. :49ers: Vernon Davis - He is physically the most gifted TE I've ever seen. He is the complete package in what you want as a receiver and a blocker. Outstanding athletic ability, amazing WR speed and is a true play maker. He also tremendously steps up his game in the playoffs and holds several records for his performances in those big games. Unfortunately, Davis has been stuck with the 49ers with QBs who can't consistently feed him the ball and in a run oriented offense which has severely oppressed his production/career. I honestly believe if Vernon had went to a team inclined to pass him the ball, he had what it took to be G.O.A.T material.

3. :Patriots: Rob Gronkowski - Gronk was the man. He would still be the man if he could stay healthy. When healthy, Gronk is an unstoppable talent. We see the evolution of TE's today like they are receivers. Gronk seems like he is an evolved form of the old school TE's who are elite blockers, physical but also inherited the abilities of the new school generation TE traits. Gronk is as gritty as they get and is unconquerable in the redzone. It's ashame that he can't stay healthy because he was off to the best start of any TE in the history of the game.

4. :Cowboys: Jason Witten - Not a trace of athletic ability. He's not fast, not agile, no amazing leaping ability but destroys defenses with impeccable technique. Great route runner and understands the nuances of the game. Jason Witten is like 7-11. He's always open.

5. :panthers: Greg Olsen - Has always been underrated, overlooked and under utilized in my opinion. I've always liked Olsen. He's a good blocker, great pass catching ability and I wholeheartedly believe if he was given more opportunities he would be even better. Hopefully he gets the chances this year in Carolina.

6. :Browns: Jordan Cameron - I think this kid can be a potential top 3 TE next year. I try not to anoint players only after one year but I'm swayed by potential. He did have Brandon Weeden throwing him passes. That has to count for something.

7. :Chargers: Antonio Gates - While Gates elite talent has diminished, he's still a threat and has to be accounted for. Like Kemp said, he still draws double teams and he destroyed my Eagles >.>

8. :Steelers: Heath Miller - Definitely from the old school TE era. Probably the best and tougest blocker in the league. He isn't a great pass catching talent by any means but when his number is called, he's reliable.

9. :Bears: Martellus Bennett - One of those players with some good potential but waiting to see if he will really harness it or not. A player who can really get better if he works at his craft and strives to be good or will flop up and down and never truly amount to his potential.

10. :Broncos: Julius Thomas - I think he's a product of the Broncos offense ala Peyton Manning. Need to see another season.

10 b. :Eagles: Brent Celek - Yes. Has always put up consistently good numbers and is a very good blocker as well.

Honorable Mentions:

Kyle Rudolph - I think he can be so much better if he had a QB who can give him opportunities.

Charles Clay

Jermaine Gresham - I was very high on Gresham and I think his potential is much higher than what he is giving out. Time will tell if he ever taps his potential.

Zach Ertz - Watch out.

Edited by Dutch

If Gronk could stay healthy he'd be number 1 by a good margin imo because he's so dominant as a receiver, but what makes him so special is that he's a willing blocker and he's actually very good at it. Hope the guy can stay on the field this year. His injuries seem kind of flukey to me honestly.

As for Davis vs. Graham. It's a tough call because Davis has speed and agility on Graham, but I think people forget just how big the guy is sometimes. Vernon Davis is 4 inches shorter than Jimmy Graham. It's not like Davis is a small guy and he can jump, but so can Graham. I will say that Graham's numbers are inflated by playing in Sean Payton's offense with Drew Brees throwing to him and Davis not only has a far less appealing QB situation but SF is a largely run first team. You can't just dismiss Graham's production though because as great a system as NO has offensively, no other player that's played in it has been able to touch his production so obviously the guy is doing something right.

1. Gronk

2. Graham

3. Davis

4. Cameron

5. Witten

6. Olsen

7. H. Miller

8. J. Thomas

9. Gates

10. Bennett

Edited by seanbrock

If Gronk could stay healthy he'd be number 1 by a good margin imo because he's so dominant as a receiver, but what makes him so special is that he's a willing blocker and he's actually very good at it. Hope the guy can stay on the field this year. His injuries seem kind of flukey to me honestly.

As for Davis vs. Graham. It's a tough call because Davis has speed and agility on Graham, but I think people forget just how big the guy is sometimes. Vernon Davis is 4 inches shorter than Jimmy Graham. It's not like Davis is a small guy and he can jump, but so can Graham. I will say that Graham's numbers are inflated by playing in Sean Payton's offense with Drew Brees throwing to him and Davis not only has a far less appealing QB situation but SF is a largely run first team. You can't just dismiss Graham's production though because as great a system as NO has offensively, no other player that's played in it has been able to touch his production so obviously the guy is doing something right.

1. Gronk

2. Graham

3. Davis

4. Cameron

5. Witten

6. Olsen

7. H. Miller

8. J. Thomas

9. Gates

10. Bennett

The other factor that you didn't mention in the David Vs Graham debate is blocking, which heavily favors Vernon.

The other factor that you didn't mention in the David Vs Graham debate is blocking, which heavily favors Vernon.

Jimmy Graham is an awful blocker, but Davis isn't exactly great at it. Better than he use to be though, that's for sure.

Jimmy Graham is an awful blocker, but Davis isn't exactly great at it. Better than he use to be though, that's for sure.

One man's opinion, but I think Davis is pretty good.