Sign in to follow this  
Dutch

Who is the best defender in the NFL?

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best defender in the NFL?

• Patrick Willis
    • Luke Kuechly
    • Navarro Bowman
    • Darrelle Revis
    • Richard Sherman
    • J.J Watt
    • Von Miller
    • Lavonte David
    • Clay Matthews
    • Geno Atkins
    • Earl Thomas
    • Other - specify

Over the last two seasons, Watt has 64 tackles behind the LOS, 25 passes batted down, and 8 forced fumbles.

Who can even come close to that impact?

All aboard the Kuechly-haters Train! Choo-choo!

I would take Von Miller, Lavonte David, Navarro Bowman and Patrick Willis over Kuechly. I also think you could make an argument for Derrick Johnson. I think Kuechly is a very good player, but he is not the best LB in the league, and shouldn't even be in consideration for best defensive player.

I would take Von Miller, Lavonte David, Navarro Bowman and Patrick Willis over Kuechly. I also think you could make an argument for Derrick Johnson. I think Kuechly is a very good player, but he is not the best LB in the league, and shouldn't even be in consideration for best defensive player.

I guess I see Miller's inclusion as being unfair. Not that the other 5 dudes are identical, but he's totally different from the rest of that group in terms of skill set and role. I like to differentiate between edge rushers and off-LOS players. Miller's "starting spot" is technically in an off-LOS position, but there's no doubt that he's an edge rusher in reality. As such, I think it's a fairer comparison to lump him in with other edge rushers (43DE and 34OLB).

I can see the argument for Johnson, but even then that would leave Kuechly 5th.

RRnhhqW.gif

Having to see Johnson twice every year, I don't see it as being laughable that he's in the conversation with Kuechly. He doesn't match Kuechly's volume, but a higher % of his tackles are of the "impact" variety (i.e. close to or behind the LOS). 11% of Johnson's tackles were behind the LOS in 2013, as opposed to 6% for Kuechly. And I don't have any numbers for this, but just from my own observation, I see Johnson crashing into gaps and cutting backs down for short gains more often. More of Kuechly's tackles are downfield after a more substantial gain.

It's a close call. I can see it either way.

• Upvote 2

I don't think Kuechly is the league's premier Off-LOS linebacker, and definitely not the league's premier defender, but I would be interested to know who the 5 guys are who would rank ahead of him and bump him from the short list.

Seems like the only way to do that would be to give a lot of love to guys who can't stay on the field like Lee and Cushing-- which wouldn't be very fair. Bowman and David are the top 2 for me. After them, I prefer Willis but I think Kuechly is in the conversation for #3.

Daryl Washington has a strong argument if he stayed on the field. I'd take David, Bowman, Willis, and that's about it.

RRnhhqW.gif

Have you ever seen Derrick Johnson play?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not Willis. Not anymore.

David, Bowman, and Miller, (thought we were talking about ILB), there is an argument. Everyone else? No.

JJ Watt without a doubt.

Oh also this. Watt is the best defender in the NFL. I know we at TGP like to be outside the mainstream, but this one is kinda obvious.

I'm not saying for a moment Luke is the best defender. He isn't even the best LB. But he isn't outside the top-5 LBs either. (Also LB position is kinda sorta fucking stacked).

10472091_640207259410978_840987737518884

Having that type of mentality/drive on top of his phenomenal talent can lead to a yellow jacket in Canton.

Somehow I missed this thread but I came here to post this graphic... People have seen me gush over Von hundreds of times before... but it's this mentality that elevates Watt above the other players in the league considered the elite of the elite.

Here's a little more...

J.J.-Watt-quote-on-why-he-has-no-social-

Edited by Favre4Ever

Hate to go with the crowd here, but it is Watt...and its not close.