BLUE

The Johnny Manziel thread

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 3, 2015, 6:09 PM EDT

As the Browns sat down early this offseason to figure out where to go with their offense following the departure of coordinator Kyle Shanahan, one name was an afterthought: Johnny Manziel.

That’s the word from Chris Mortensen of ESPN, who says that when the Browns started putting together their new offense under new coordinator John DeFilippo, Manziel didn’t seem to be part of the equation.

“I think about 90 percent that they have moved on [from Manziel] in their own minds except that they really don’t know who they’re going to get when Johnny leaves rehab, which has been an extended stay — a two-month stay,” Mortensen said, via the News-Herald. “He should be getting out some time in the first week of April if they’re satisfied that he’s ready to go out and get into society and that whatever deep-rooted problems that he had has been addressed. The bottom line is that Johnny Manziel’s future with the Browns has been in question. When they were putting together half of a new offensive staff, Manziel’s name barely even came up in conversation.”

Ordinarily, if a team is hiring a new offensive coordinator a year after spending a first-round draft pick on a quarterback, there’s nothing more important for the team to know than the coordinator’s plans for that quarterback. If DeFilippo has no plans at all for Manziel, that’s a very bad sign for his future with the franchise.

But from all indications, the Browns currently consider Josh McCown their starting quarterback. And the Browns may even try to add another quarterback, like Sam Bradford or Marcus Mariota. Manziel looks like little more than an afterthought.

Source: ProFootballTalk

"I think he's going to have to prove to the team that football is important and being 'the man,' being the starting quarterback for the Cleveland Browns, is important, it is his goal, his single goal in his life,"Thomas told ESPNCleveland.com.

"You know, I think he lost probably a lot of trust among the guys on the team last year by the way he handled himself once he became the starter. And I think he had a lot of time to reflect, I'm guessing, after the season was over by the comments he made in the media and by his actions, checking himself into rehab. ... I think those were really positive steps."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12627062/joe-thomas-cleveland-browns-says-johnny-manziel-win-back-teammates-trust

From the big fella, Joe Thomas himself. Maybe he needs something like that... But publicly putting him on blast is only going to do so much good, right? I wonder if the Browns would have parted ways with him already if he wasn't in rehab. I imagine that would be some pretty bad PR -- even for a case like JMs.

Per Rotoworld.com:

ESPN Cleveland's Tony Grossi describes Johnny Manziel as a "fish out of water" in the Browns' new offense.
The job of Cleveland's quarterback under new OC John DeFilippo is to manage games and "play within the structure of a conservative game plan." Manziel's strength -- at Texas A&M, at least -- was improvisation. Manziel has reportedly struggled in OTAs practices, and Grossi writes that Johnny Football's "skills don’t coincide with what the Browns are asking of their quarterback." It's looking less and less likely that Manziel will give Josh McCown a serious Week 1 run. May 29 - 8:55 PM

Just get rid of him already.

Im curious, but why do the Browns WANT to run that type of offense? Not at all saying Manziel is the answer, but I'd rather see a team that is constantly down in the dumps to do something different.

Johnny Manziel throws water bottle at heckling fan; no charges filed

By Mary Kay Cabot, Northeast Ohio Media Group

on May 31, 2015 at 11:15 AM, updated May 31, 2015 at 9:58 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel was harassed relentlessly by a fan on Saturday while attending a golf event and wound up throwing a water bottle at him, according to an Irving, Texas police spokesman.

The confrontation escalated to the point where police intervened, but in the end, no charges were filed by either party, no arrests were made, and police did not detect that Manziel had been drinking at the time of the incident, spokesman James McLellan told Northeast Ohio Media Group.

After the skirmish, Manziel was photographed by several bystanders talking to the police outside the Four Seasons hotel, where the incident took place.

A Texas native and golf enthusiast, Manziel attended the Byron Nelson Classic PGA Tournament in Irving over the weekend with friends. His agent, Erik Burkhardt, told NEOMG that Manziel was harassed and acted appropriately by alerting authorities.

Burkhardt said he was in church with Manziel on Sunday morning in Dallas and that all was well.

McLellan told NEOMG that an 18-year-old male fan began harassing the Browns quarterback near the Four Seasons' pool on Saturday afternoon. Manziel eventually threw a water bottle at the young man, escalating the confrontation. Manziel's friends stepped in to intervene on his behalf and hotel security also got involved, McLellan said.

Police were called and officers spoke to both parties. Neither decided to press charges and no report was filed. McLellan said police sent both sides packing and that Manziel's party used a car service and left the hotel.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/05/johnny_manziel_harassed_by_fan.html#incart_2box

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

Im curious, but why do the Browns WANT to run that type of offense? Not at all saying Manziel is the answer, but I'd rather see a team that is constantly down in the dumps to do something different.

Swing for the fences drafting Manziel, and after whiffing their new plan is to bunt.

The Cleveland Browns way.

Nah, see... I don't think they ever intended to swing for the fences though. Everyone in the football world knew JM was a fuck up and bust waiting to happen. And I don't just mean as far as his off the field stuff goes... He was a bad prospect and wasn't figured to translate to the NFL...

The Cleveland Browns way is to ignore logic.

Saying they swung for the fences makes it seem like they actually thought out what they were about to do... It gives them more original credit than they deserve for making a terrible decision.

It's called ignorance.

• Upvote 2

Johnny Manziel to start for Cleveland Browns vs. Tennessee Titans

Pat McManamon, ESPN Staff Writer

Quarterback Johnny Manziel has been given the nod as the Cleveland Browns starter for Sunday's game against the Tennessee Titans, the team announced Friday.
Josh McCown was not cleared from the NFL's concussion protocol and is not able to practice Friday.
Manziel has taken all first-team reps this week. It will be the third start of his career. In his first two starts, both losses, he completed 13 of 26 passes with zero touchdowns, two interceptions and a Total QBR of 2.6.

well see how he fares against Dick LeBeau's defense, he's at least looked at it before, even though it doesn't look like he played against Pittsburgh in either game last season he was presumably involved in the preparations for those games

Why not just commit to him?

You drafted the guy to be your starter. If the guy has the confidence/ability to be a starter, and succeed in this league, stop playing this guessing game, give him the starting spot for the rest of the season and let's see what he's got. Smh.

Why not just commit to him?

You drafted the guy to be your starter. If the guy has the confidence/ability to be a starter, and succeed in this league, stop playing this guessing game, give him the starting spot for the rest of the season and let's see what he's got. Smh.

Somebody hasn't seen him play.

Somebody hasn't seen him play.

You still have to give him a season to see if he can progress and become better. Browns won't be any better with McCown leading the offense.

You know what you have in McCown. A journeyman QB. The Browns aren't contending so it's really no point in starting McCown. You have to make coaching decisions that can help you evaluate and plan for the future of the franchise. McCown isn't in that future for long term success. They need to find out of Johnny is and give him the chance over a course of the season to see if he develops into anything or is a bust.

Edited by Dutch

I think they already know what Johnny is, which is why they didn't want to start the season with him under center. Game experience does help though, so maybe... They better be scouting QBs like crazy though.

Ya, good looking out Ben. Not like we can trust the Browns to actually scout players correctly.

Hasn't helped them for the better part of a decade. And things don't seem to be changing for the near future either.

Hen adding coals in the lolBrowns dumpster fire. Move over, Bucs!

According to Cleveland.com, Hoge said on Monday:

"He's so sloppy fundamentally. He was reckless at A&M, he's reckless in the NFL. He doesn't play in structure. He doesn't understand concepts and it was very evident in this game. Missed a lot of hots. If you go to the throw, why would the ball sail inside vs. outside. If you watch his footwork, because really the guy he's going to is the guy he should (go) to. It's man on man and you got the ball and it's third down. This is open in the NFL, but watch his footwork, watch how sloppy it is.

"He doesn't have a strong enough arm anyway, that's why the ball sails to the outside. Then the reckless aspect of it. He is protected across the board here. There is no reason to run. You know it's third-and-long, but you have a better shot throwing it within the structure and design of the play than you do in running. Even during the course of the game, do remember the one throw where (Brian) Hartline made a great catch, they blitzed him. He was supposed to throw it hot. The tight end was wide open and he runs.

"It's very elementary: he's not gotten better in two years.''

When Manziel repsonded to the harsh takedown on Friday, took the comments in stride, but made sure to get in a solid dig at Hoge's affinity for bizarre-looking ties.

"I think Merril Hoge needs to worry about his big neckties,'' said Manziel. "Talking about Merril, he's been that way since I decided to come out for the draft, so I guess that's part of it, but no extra motivation or extra bump for me or anything like that. It's just go out and play and quiet him with the way we go out and win on Sunday. That's what we want to do.''

http://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/johnny-manziel-merril-hoge-necktie-cleveland-browns-091815

Edited by Favre4Ever

Oh yay, we get to hear hype for 5 days only to watch him suck balls on Sunday. Hoge is right, even if he's yet another annoying ESPN analyst. I mean, he's not Herm Edwards annoying (I wish that fucker would lose his voice), but he's up there.

They shut him down other than like 2 drives. :shrug:

ESPN.com news services
Cleveland Browns quarterback Josh McCown is out of the NFL's concussion protocol and will start Sunday against the Oakland Raiders.
The Browns announced Wednesday morning that McCown has been cleared to return, naming him their Week 3 starter over Johnny Manziel.
McCown, who will return to practice Wednesday, suffered a concussion in the first quarter of Cleveland's season-opening loss to the Jets and missed last week's victory over the Titans.

well that didn't last long