BLUE

The Johnny Manziel thread

Per Rotoworldcom:

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported on SportsCenter Friday that the Browns have approached Johnny Manziel about "toning it down," with regard to his actions on social media.
Owner Jimmy Haslam was "bothered" by Manziel's recent posting of a "Money Phone" (stack of bills held to the ear) on Instagram. The Browns seem more concerned with Manziel's social media behavior than his well-publicized weekend partying. Approached by the Cleveland Plain Dealer Friday morning, Manziel told the paper "I don't think I'm doing anything wrong," and "I'm not going to change for anybody." Earlier this month, Ben Tate described media coverage of Manziel as "annoying," hinting it may be a distraction in the locker room. ESPN Cleveland's Tony Grossi stated Friday that he's never seen Manziel-like behavior from a Browns player. Grossi has been covering the Browns for 30 years. Jun 27 - 3:06 PM

The organization and his teammates are already sick of him.

BUT HE GOAN BE A GEWD QB, GAIZ.

:yao:

• Upvote 1

The kid goes on cross-country drinking sprees, and a picture with a "money phone" is what Haslem just can't stomach? lol GTFO. Let this kid be. He's gonna be a QB: good or bad. The only reason that "Manziel-like behavior" is being so heavily scrutinized is because it's Cleveland. Of course this old man beat writer has never seen this kind of thing from a Browns' player. The kid's having fun. I'm not sure anyone in a Browns uniform has ever done that before. OH NO! SOCIAL MEDIA!!!

#GET________OVER_________IT

You're not going to control Manziel-mania. At this point, it is what it is. You're going to get that Tebow-like following with him. I think they are better off letting Manziel be himself. As long as he doesn't get in trouble, no issues. Further more, just tell the guy, when he enters team facilities, he's all about football and that's it. What he does in his spare time is his business so long as he's not causing trouble. (Which he's yet to do to this point)

You can't completely control it.. But man, if you can reign Johnny in a little on that social media stuff, it sure would make for less ammo and at least calm everything down some. It was pretty off putting that he said he wouldn't change for anybody. Which obviously you like to a certain degree.. and not to assume he isn't working hard... but that's the image he is portraying... A silver spoon-fed punk kid having a great time, not that of a professional player fighting for spot on the team and a future in the league.

Again, I think a lot of that is perception and maybe... Unjust or unfair to him. But in his case.. I really have very little reason to think it's any different.

Because the Browns have much more coherent QB's on their roster.

If you draft a player you get the total package. You help them grow, but you cannot change an entire player's persona.

Johnny gives the Browns a sliver of hope, more than probably their last 15 years combined. They would be wise to ease up on what Johnny does in his free time...and focus more on what they do as an organization as a whole, IMO.

• Upvote 1

No kidding. If they would have focused on fixing their organization from the beginning, they wouldn't have drafted Johnny at all.

Former Bengals megabust Akili Smith says Johnny Manziel's behavior reminds him of himself.

Smith admits he was a heavy drinker who made regular trips to Vegas during his playing days, and "focused on partying first and everything else second." "Yeah, it's written all over the wall with some of the things he's doing in the offseason, going to Vegas and all that stuff," Smith said of Manziel. "He needs to put all that type of stuff to the side right now and focus on his career." Manziel can shut up his detractors by beating out Brian Hoyer and playing well on Sundays. If he doesn't, concerns about his flashy lifestyle will grow louder.

A picture of Johnny Manziel rolling a 20-dollar bill in the bathroom of a Las Vegas club has surfaced.

There are no indications why Manziel was rolling the bill, and there were not any signs of illegal substances visible in the photo. That said, this is a bad look for a player the Browns instructed to "tone it down" barely a week ago. Manziel has given his critics plenty of ammunition this offseason, but he could shut everyone up by winning his battle with Brian Hoyer in camp and football games this fall.

Obviously I am making assumptions I shouldn't at times, but.... This singular situation aside, I can't wait until he never starts a game in his life. My bet is the Browns regret the pick already. I so wish they skipped him and let the Vikings or somebody pick him up.

obvs doing coke lol. No reason why somebody would be in the bathroom with a rolled up 20 other than that. Manziel to Gordon for a TD the drug connection strikes again.

Edited by monstersofthemidway

Releasing him now would be less of a wasted pick than letting him play. Cut your losses. Move on.

Obviously I am making assumptions I shouldn't at times, but.... This singular situation aside, I can't wait until he never starts a game in his life. My bet is the Browns regret the pick already. I so wish they skipped him and let the Vikings or somebody pick him up.

I wish they would have skipped him too, so that he'd be in camp in KC.

To everyone else: lol. OMGZ HE'S DOING DRUGS!!! Who. Fucking. Cares.

Michael_Irvin_Make_Love_Hall_of_Fame_Jac

• Upvote 1

Let's be honest here, Manziel wasn't even that good to begin with.

• Upvote 2

I wish they would have skipped him too, so that he'd be in camp in KC.

To everyone else: lol. OMGZ HE'S DOING DRUGS!!! Who. Fucking. Cares.

Michael_Irvin_Make_Love_Hall_of_Fame_Jac

He's a moron with no interest in being good (not like he's capable anyway). Trust me, you don't want him. Utterly embarrassing that we drafted him.

Lol @ the people defending him in this thread.

I don't think anyone has come out and blatantly defended him so far. In fact, no one's even gone on a rant about how the media is out to get him or anything else along those lines.

Browns coach Mike Pettine suggested Johnny Manziel will have to improve his "dedication" to be a serious competitor to start.

Browns camp hasn't even begun, but all signs point to the coaching staff favoring Brian Hoyer. "I think he knows that in order for him to compete well, he's going to have to probably be more dedicated than ever," Pettine said of Manziel. Pettine confirmed to ESPN Cleveland that Hoyer will "be with the ones" when full-squad practices begin Saturday. "I think at this point, right now, it’s more Johnny versus the playbook than it is (Johnny) versus Brian."

Per Rotoworld.com:

Sources tell the Cleveland Plain Dealer the Browns have been "alarmed" by the off-field actions of Johnny Manziel since trading up to select him with the 22nd overall pick in May's draft.
The Plain Dealer reports the team was particularly bothered by a picture that surfaced of Manziel rolling a $20 bill in a bar bathroom, suggestive of someone preparing to use snort cocaine. "Some in the organization feel he's lost ground in the quarterback competition heading into camp," adds beat reporter Mary Kay Cabot. Manziel reportedly "regressed in practice" this spring, and team brass believes it resulted from "not enough dedication to the playbook." Sources also told Cabot the Browns "have been stunned by his non-stop antics" off the field. All signs continue to point to Brian Hoyer starting Week 1 against the Steelers. Jul 25 - 2:05 PM