BLUE

The Johnny Manziel thread

If Browns lose to the Raiders. Manziel will be starting his first game against the Bucs.

No wonder Hoyer doesn't want a new contract. Lose and you're on the chopping block.

Everything about Manziel being a starter scares the hell out of me from a football perspective in the sense that, I'm not sure if he's going to be able to play successfully at the NFL level without changing the way he plays.

I'm not sure you throw in the towel on Hoyer yet. He's had one bad game. I think that he puts the Browns in the best position to win games by just taking care of the football. I understand that the Browns want flash, and that may not be with Hoyer, but their not that far off. Giving up on Hoyer after one bad game would kill the teams confidence IMO.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Browns coach Mike Pettine again declined Monday to name a starting quarterback for Week 14 against the Colts.
It's going to be Johnny Manziel, though we suppose it's possible the Browns will attempt to play coy throughout the week. Asked Monday why he benched Brian Hoyer for Manziel in Sunday's loss, Pettine replied "I just felt we needed a change to make a change, we needed spark." Manziel provided that spark, briefly energizing Cleveland's previously-putrid offense by scoring the Browns' lone touchdown against the Bills. Isaiah Crowell owners, in particular, should be hoping Cleveland turns to Johnny Football for good. Manziel's dual threat would open up lanes for the Browns' rushing attack. Dec 1 - 4:15 PM

I'd love it if the Browns end up letting Hoyer walk, he'd look pretty good in Titans' blue, bring him in, draft a rookie, and let those two and Mettenberger battle it out in the preseason and hopefully we end up with a QB, though to be real if Hoyer hits the market somebody will vastly overpay him and we've got too many holes to overpay a QB

I'd love it if the Browns end up letting Hoyer walk, he'd look pretty good in Titans' blue, bring him in, draft a rookie, and let those two and Mettenberger battle it out in the preseason and hopefully we end up with a QB, though to be real if Hoyer hits the market somebody will vastly overpay him and we've got too many holes to overpay a QB

I'd love it too if he ended up on the Titans. Hoyer is hot garbage bro. Kyle Shanahan's offense is trying to mask his many deficiencies.

I'd love it too if he ended up on the Titans. Hoyer is hot garbage bro. Kyle Shanahan's offense is trying to mask his many deficiencies.

let me clarify, I wouldn't mind seeing us bring in Hoyer for a reasonable price to compete with Mettenberger and a rookie, but he's going to get far overpaid by somebody to be a presumed starter, which is not a position I want the Titans in, in addition to Shanahan's offense I think the Browns' defense (#9 in points allowed at 20.4 per game) masks a lot

• Upvote 1

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000441113/article/bengals-marvin-lewis-mocks-johnny-manziel

If Cleveland coach Mike Pettine chooses Johnny Manziel as the Browns' quarterback this week, the rookie won't lack for motivation against the Bengals in his first NFL start.

Opposing coach Marvin Lewis couldn't have been more dismissive when asked by WLW-AM in Cincinnati Monday night about the possibility of facing Manziel this week.

"You've got to go defend the offense," Lewis said. "You don't defend the player."

After a short pause, Lewis then added: "Particularly a midget."

It's a rare slip of the tongue by one of the most publicly taciturn NFL head coaches. It's almost as if Lewis forgot he was on the air for a split second and dropped his filter, allowing his inner voice to come through.

From his lifestyle to his playing style, Manziel is no stranger to drawing strong opinions from NFL lifers. Who knew it would be his relatively small stature that would rub Lewis the wrong way?

As if the prospect of Manziel's first pro start won't generate enough hoopla of its own, Lewis' slight will add more fuel to the fire in an intrastate rivalry most famous for a former Bengals coach's jab at Cleveland nearly 30 years ago.

:rofl:

Marvin Lewis, ladies and gents.

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 1

John Feetball :rock:

Best part of this news is that we get to add a new name to the jersey...

v4qcxu.jpg

• Upvote 1

Per Rotoworld.com:

Speaking Monday, Johnny Manziel vowed to stop being a "jackass."
"It’s about action," Manziel said. "It’s about being accountable, and doing what (I say I'm going to do) instead of looking like a jackass." Manziel was contrite about his latest off-the-field imbroglio, but flatly denied throwing a party Friday evening. He did admit to being late to the team facility on Saturday. "Either I'm going to learn, or I'm going to be finding something else to do." Manziel is no stranger to saying the "right things," but rarely did them as a rookie. He's really bungled the beginning of his NFL career, playing into his image of a playboy whose game won't translate to the professional level. Like Tim Tebow before him, there's no guarantee Manziel gets a second chance as a starter. Dec 29 - 1:55 PM

He vowed at the combine he would stop partying and take the NFL serious. Looks like he lied about that already.

At his season-ending press conference Monday, coach Mike Pettine conceded the Browns' quarterback situation is "muddy" and "very much a question mark."

Brian Hoyer is a free agent and Johnny Manziel was atrocious in seven quarters of action. "The sample size on Manziel was not very big, and on the surface not very encouraging," Pettine said of Johnny Football. Pettine also praised UDFA Connor Shaw, who demonstrated "toughness" in Cleveland's Week 17 loss to Baltimore. Under rookie GM Ray Farmer, the Browns inherited two first-round picks from the Mike Lombardi-Joe Banner era. They used them on Manziel and Justin Gilbert, a project cornerback who earned minimal playing time as a rookie.

Per Rotworld.com:

Citing nearly 20 Browns sources, ESPN's Jeremy Fowler and Pat McManamon report Johnny Manziel exhibited a "year-long pattern" of lacking commitment and preparation to football and a "continued commitment to nightlife" during his rookie year.
One player called Manziel a "100 percent joke." Team security reportedly found Manziel "drunk off his a--" the morning before the Browns' season finale. He was fined for missing a treatment for his injured hamstring and spent the Week 17 loss to Baltimore in Cleveland's locker room. During his first NFL start, "Several sources said Manziel either didn't know the plays in the huddle or didn't call them correctly." Sources also told Fowler and McManamon that since-departed OC Kyle Shanahan preferred Jimmy Garoppolo and Tom Savage to Manziel as a 2014 draft prospect. Fowler and McManamon claim Manziel still has some "support in the (Browns') building," though it's mostly "on the business side." Jan 23 - 3:15 PM
Source: ESPN.com

Johnny's going to change once he gets to the NFL, they said. Johnny's going to be the best, they said.

This is the same story BLUE posted, just different snippets and more full... Absolutely ridiculous.

"During the draft process, not one person interviewed by the team said he was going to grow up," said one source directly involved in the drafting of Manziel. "You can't blame Johnny. This is who he is. The team knew that."

The Browns have an honor system with fining players for tardiness to team activities -- $250 for first offense, $500 for second, etc. The money can go to charity.

It's uncertain how much coaches collected from Manziel, but one source said Manziel was late often enough that it was never a surprise when he was.

One Browns staffer said he believed Manziel didn't get tough love when attention to detail wasn't there, that the team did not always hold him accountable when he was late.

"He's a kid that I think wants to do well but needs to be shown how, and he didn't always get that help, in my opinion," one Browns staffer said.

"The way we talked about him in meetings, the kid never put in the time he needed to -- studying film, organizing workouts, 7-on-7 workouts -- he didn't do it," said one NFC scout with a Southeastern Conference focus. "His thing would be he's going to show up on Saturdays, 'I'm a gamer.' He'd show up for practices and games but that's about it. Johnny thought he was an NFL superstar before he came [into the league]."

One A&M source said Manziel's attitude is catching up to him. Manziel was lax in preparation unless the Aggies were playing a top-tier opponent, such as Alabama or Auburn, when "you couldn't get him out of the film room," the source said. Against Rice or Sam Houston State, not so much.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12216266/cleveland-browns-quarterback-johnny-manziel-struggled-commitment-preparation-sources-said

Not only did the Browns know completely what they were getting into before drafting him, but they also lacked the structure and preparedness in dealing with him. What a colossal and horrific selection this has and will continue to be. It doesn't need to be said, but the Browns are a complete and utter joke... This story alone proves as much.

Great read though, I suggest finishing it if you have the time. Wow.

Edited by Favre4Ever