Bay

Top 10 QBs

Yea, Eli's two seasons from a solid year. He could still surprise and put up another or a maybe even several, but his lack of consistent production would drop him out for me, I think.

Yeah - it's not an easy list.

I wonder how Eli would go with a new team with a whole new outlook and culture...I think he just needs a change of scenery.

I know it won't happen, but it would be real interesting to put a Texans uni on him with what they got going on over there.

Edited by Wattafan

Aaron Rodgers

Ben Roethlisberger
Drew Brees
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Nick Foles
Phillip Rivers
Tony Romo
Matt Ryan
Josh McCown

Obviously the list is slightly flawed because you I have two guys who have only given us one seasons worth of playto go off of...But both were so good in that one year, I would take them over guys like Andrew Luck, Jay Cutler, Colin Kaepernick, etc... If they suck this year? Well, not a big deal.. Because then I will move them down... Haha.

It's also noted that Peyton and Tom are practically interchangeable... Tom Brady is on the down and down while as Air pointed out.. A blind squirrel could thrive in Peyton's offense (no a big knock, as he is still #5, so don't get upset... lol).

• Downvote 2

You did not just put Josh McCown over Cam Newton and Russel Wilson.

Please tell me you are doing that thing where you are trying to stir up discussion and not actually being serious.

• Upvote 1

Josh McCown played better than both those guys last year. Russell Wilson gave away the NFCCG multiple times and is merely a game manager (not saying he isn't capable of more, but I am not going to judge him of what he doesn't do).

And when he heard he was left off my list, Cam Newton went over, sat on the bench, draped a towel over his head and started pouting.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That joke is two years ago.

Josh McCown is a journeyman backup QB who had one good year.

Newton and Wilson are both leaps and bounds ahead of him.

McCown played in only eight games with two of the best WRs in the game catching balls from him. Wilson and Newton both had rather poor WR corps- no.

You know what, I'm not even starting this argument.

You're on crack if you're serious. End of story.

• Upvote 2

And what did he do in those 8 games? Completely outclassed Russel and Cam as QBs in every which way. Don't get me wrong, you may be right.. It could be a mega flash in the pan.. We may never see that level of play from him again. But as I said, in that case, he will be moved down and promptly out of the list.

• Downvote 2

Not at all... McCown did in 8 games what Cam and others have NEVER done. Did you guys watch him play? My guess is no. So reserved, explosive in the right moments... Efficient... He almost NEVER turned the ball over. What about Cam Newton's 7 YPA or 2:1 TD:INT ratio am I supposed to be excited about? Or maybe Andrew Luck's struggle to hit 60% completion or the fact that he constantly buries his team... That earns him a spot? No thank you.

I will take the guy with more than a yard on Cam in YPA and the guy whose TD:INT ratio a year ago was nearly 7x better than Andrew Lucks.

I understand it's easier for you to make assumptions or post pictures as a means to avoid any actual discussion... But maybe you should try it sometime. ;)

• Downvote 1

Josh McCown is a 35 year old QB who was a drifter for 11 years out of Sam Houston State.

You're comparing him to two young QBs who have every bit the better physical makeup than McCown. A guy who barely played over a decade in the league to two 1st overall picks. I bet if Newton or Luck was throwing it to the best WR trio in the NFL they'd have posted spectacular numbers too.

Normally I'd agree, as yes, the numbers do back up McCown. There is a point where a line in the sand is drawn though. At this point in his career, what are we expecting from McCown? Will he repeat that incredible performance from last year? Best case scenario is he has a 2:1 TD-INT ratio and hits somewhere between 3000-3750 yards. Worst case scenario is we see him for what he has been for the past decade and he gets benched for Glennon.

Of roughly 192 games McCown could have played, he only played in 58. His closest season to a full season was 14 games in 04 with the Cards. His statline was 57.1%, 2,511 yards, 11 TDs, and 10 INTs. He averaged 6.2 YPA.

He has a career passer rating of (including last year) 77.5. His 04 showing was a 74.1. Maybe he became a late bloomer, but odds are he is gonna crash hard.

I really wish you would stop using the "Luck buries his own team" line. Dutch disproved that in the Andrew Luck thread.

The statement that Josh McCown completely outclassed Wilson and Newton in every way is simply so ludicrous it is quite obvious you are trolling. Should disguise it a bit better next time.

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 1

Josh McCown is a top 10 (backup) QB.

Has Lovie already named him starter without even looking at the Giraffe, anyway?

Edited by BwareDWare94

Josh McCown is a top 10 (backup) QB.

Has Lovie already named him starter without even looking at the Giraffe, anyway?

Yeah. Lovie anointed him starter soon after landing the starting gig.

Not at all... McCown did in 8 games what Cam and others have NEVER done. Did you guys watch him play? My guess is no. So reserved, explosive in the right moments... Efficient... He almost NEVER turned the ball over. What about Cam Newton's 7 YPA or 2:1 TD:INT ratio am I supposed to be excited about? Or maybe Andrew Luck's struggle to hit 60% completion or the fact that he constantly buries his team... That earns him a spot? No thank you.

I will take the guy with more than a yard on Cam in YPA and the guy whose TD:INT ratio a year ago was nearly 7x better than Andrew Lucks.

I understand it's easier for you to make assumptions or post pictures as a means to avoid any actual discussion... But maybe you should try it sometime. ;)

McCown has also never carried the full load of carrying his team for an entire season leading them to the playoffs. He also had arguably the best duo of WRs in the league. His sample size is too small to anoint him over anyone who has carried the load of their team for an entire season with some success. Stats are pretty and nice and all but the eye test is the more accurate indicator and Brandon Marshall and Ashlon Jeffrey made more plays than McCown did.

In regards to Andrew Luck, I've already addressed the "buries his team" perception which is faulty. You bring up he struggles to hit 60% but he didn't struggle to come back and win games when it mattered for majority of his short career. My QB can have a 55% completion rate but if he finds a way orchestrate a game winning drive int he 4th quarter when it really matters, what can you say? Nothing. That's not a strong argument. I do know however that McCown got benched and if he was truly a top 10 QB like you profess he is, that wouldn't have happened lol. Cam is also a dynamic QB with no weapons are receiver. Like ATL said, you give Cam Brandon Marshall and Ashlon Jeffrey and it would be total chaos. They would more then likely make the playoffs. But imagine putting McCown on the Panthers with almost no weapons. I'm not convinced that they make the playoffs.

Edited by Dutch

McCown has also never carried the full load of carrying his team for an entire season leading them to the playoffs. He also had arguably the best duo of WRs in the league. His sample size is too small to anoint him over anyone who has carried the load of their team for an entire season with some success. Stats are pretty and nice and all but the eye test is the more accurate indicator and Brandon Marshall and Ashlon Jeffrey made more plays than McCown did.

In regards to Andrew Luck, I've already addressed the "buries his team" perception which is faulty. You bring up he struggles to hit 60% but he didn't struggle to come back and win games when it mattered for majority of his short career. My QB can have a 55% completion rate but if he finds a way orchestrate a game winning drive int he 4th quarter when it really matters, what can you say? Nothing. That's not a strong argument. I do know however that McCown got benched and if he was truly a top 10 QB like you profess he is, that wouldn't have happened lol. Cam is also a dynamic QB with no weapons are receiver. Like ATL said, you give Cam Brandon Marshall and Ashlon Jeffrey and it would be total chaos. They would more then likely make the playoffs. But imagine putting McCown on the Panthers with almost no weapons. I'm not convinced that they make the playoffs.

If Cam had Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffrey last year, we have a different Superbowl winner.

Lol. Claiming that a QB can lead his team to a comeback does not in any way exempt him from being the reason they were down in the first place...

Luck is hardly the reason Colts are down in many cases. See: Arizona game

If Luck didn't have greatness in the form of comebacks, the Colts would be fucked. If I'm taking a QB in a shootout, Luck would be in my top 3 to pick from.

• Upvote 1

Lol. Claiming that a QB can lead his team to a comeback does not in any way exempt him from being the reason they were down in the first place...

What are the reasons for them being down in the first place? I already debunked the interception argument in his rookie year (http://www.thegridironpalace.com/forums/index.php?/topic/65876-lets-put-this-to-bed-give-me-andrew-luck/) and this past season there is no basis for what he claimed outside of the Chiefs game where he orchestrated the 1st (or 2nd) best comeback in playoff history.

And here we go again ignoring the Colts defense had something to do with it. I am by no means a Luck fanboy.

• Upvote 1

I fucked up, I bit the bullet, and I'm jumping ship. The last thing I want to do is argue (again) with the same barrage of excuses for why we don't all see Andrew Luck's greatness.

I'll pass this time.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F
  • Upvote 1

I fucked up, I bit the bullet, and I'm jumping ship. The last thing I want to do is argue (again) with the same barrage of excuses for why we don't all see Andrew Luck's greatness.

I'll pass this time.

Abandon.gif

:hiya:

McCown should thank Forte, B Marsh and Jeffery and especially trestman for that starting gig in Tampa that he is going to throw away.

• Upvote 1

Josh McCown is a 35 year old QB who was a drifter for 11 years out of Sam Houston State.

You're comparing him to two young QBs who have every bit the better physical makeup than McCown. A guy who barely played over a decade in the league to two 1st overall picks. I bet if Newton or Luck was throwing it to the best WR trio in the NFL they'd have posted spectacular numbers too.

Normally I'd agree, as yes, the numbers do back up McCown. There is a point where a line in the sand is drawn though. At this point in his career, what are we expecting from McCown? Will he repeat that incredible performance from last year? Best case scenario is he has a 2:1 TD-INT ratio and hits somewhere between 3000-3750 yards. Worst case scenario is we see him for what he has been for the past decade and he gets benched for Glennon.

Of roughly 192 games McCown could have played, he only played in 58. His closest season to a full season was 14 games in 04 with the Cards. His statline was 57.1%, 2,511 yards, 11 TDs, and 10 INTs. He averaged 6.2 YPA.

He has a career passer rating of (including last year) 77.5. His 04 showing was a 74.1. Maybe he became a late bloomer, but odds are he is gonna crash hard.

I am not judging off "potential" or what guys MIGHT do. Screw that. Screw lists going off predictions or somethign that hasn't actually happened yet. I am looking at what HAS happened, and what DID happen. Cam, Russell, etc.. Don't belong in the same LEAGUE as Josh McCown...

And like I said.. I fully admit it might have been the biggest flash in the pan we have ever seen. Definite possibility.. but until then.. I see no reason to put anyone else above him.

Josh McCown QBing the Panthers takes them further than Cam does...EASILY. Wilson is obviously a harder sell, but the Hawks take care of the Niners a lot more easily.. He wouldn't give the game away 3x before the clock finally and mercifully hits zeroes.

There is literally no argument anyone could make in favor of Cam, Wilson, Kaep, etc on the terms of last year. If you want to win this debate you are going to have to go the...

"He only played 8 games, even if he was better, it won't last" route... Look, I am now giving you tips. Because as far as play goes, you aren't winning. lol.

• Downvote 2

Cam, Russell, etc.. Don't belong in the same LEAGUE as Josh McCown...

Josh McCown QBing the Panthers takes them further than Cam does...EASILY.

There is literally no argument anyone could make in favor of Cam, Wilson, Kaep

lEO3zK3.gif

Edited by Chernobyl426
  • Upvote 1