Bay

Top 10 QBs

What is the point of playing in the NFL? Winning championships. QB lists should be judged on their ability to win your team a championship. This includes a number of factors, including regular season success, just weighed lower than postseason/clutch success.

The top statistical QBs that actually have success in crunch time go up top. Top statistical QBs that fail miserably when it matters either don't make the list or barely slide in on the back of their regular season stats (Peyton).

Ryan, Romo, and Peyton can put up all the stats they want, but until they prove that they can be the catalyst for their team when it actually matters, they're worth nothing more than a heartbreaking playoff loss.

Russell Wilson makes the list because he's been extremely efficient with a pretty lame group of receivers.

Regular Season (2 Years):

63.6% Cmp, 6,475 Yds, 8.1 YPA, 52 TDs, 19 INTs, 6.5 TD%, 2.4 INT%

Post Season (5 Games):

63.08% Cmp, 1,096 Yds, 8.43 YPA, 6 TDs, 1 INT, 4.62 TD%, 0.77 INT%

Those stats in the first two years of a career are nuts and are better than/in line with the greatest QBs of all time. And he's done this with Golden Tate and Doug Baldwin as his top couple options, lol.

And none of this is including his impact as a scrambler, something I generally dismiss in regards to QBs.

Regular Season:

1,028 Yds, 5 TDs, 5.4 YPA

Playoffs:

169 Yds, 1 TD, 6.5 YPA

This hasn't been updated with the past season's stats, but it will still give you an idea of just how good he's been thus far.

al.png

Edited by Zack_of_Steel
  • Upvote 1

My current list:

1. Aaron Rodgers (Still the goal all QB's want to hit. The Packers were arguably the best team in the NFC before his injury and mediocre without him. The numbers are elite and he has post season success)

2. Drew Brees (Shows no signs of slowing down as he cracks out 5000 yard season after 5000 yard season with no name receivers and one sick Tight End)

3. Ben Roethlisberger

4. Tom Brady

(Roeth may be a weird choice ahead of Brady, but there were some serious issues with Brady's game last year and I think he's finally starting to slow down a bit. Roethlisberger had a really bad september as well, but he got over it well enough and was almost in the playoffs if not for a couple of inches.)

5. Philip Rivers (Free from Norv Turner, the great nemesis of the AFC West is back. Cower in terror, Marmalard has risen again)

6. Russell Wilson (Efficiency rules the day and that's all you need to say about that. Wilson makes incredible strides as his quest to be the best gets one step closer to reality.)

7. Tony Romo (It's getting to the point where you can't make excuses for Romo any longer. He just plays so well in the first 58 minutes, but his team doesn't give him enough support so he can take the last two minutes off. And then the Cowboys go .500 and miss the playoffs again. Still an incredibly accurate passer who can pick apart defenses, but only before the last two minutes)

8. Peyton Manning (You can tell he's missing a step, but having the best receiving corps in football can make your numbers look so much better. Still has a great football mind, and is still plagued by awful postseason play. The well has long dried up for Peyton.)

9. Matt Ryan (The gap is widening, but considering how decimated the Falcons were this year in terms of injuries and talent dropoff, excuses can be made. He had to force some terrible balls, and deal with Harry Douglas, and triple covered Tony G as his only options for a large portion of the year.

10. Eli Manning (I'm not really comfortable with this spot. I'm not really sure who stands out here. Eli has reasonable doubt, like Matt Ryan to avoid falling down the list, but there are a lot of young guns who might be worth consideration. Kaepernick, Newton, Luck, Foles, RG3... All of those players could easily overtake this spot, and that isn't even including more veteran options like Alex Smith or Jay Cutler. It's very wide open right now, but I'm putting Eli here based on his Old Boy status, and I think he can recover from last year's disaster. He did pull a 4-12 team to 7-9. If those awful numbers stay reality though, I'm much more comfortable putting Colin Kaepernick here. In fact you know what...)

10. Colin Kaepernick (Fuck the haters, this man is a legit good QB.)

• Upvote 1

1. Aaron Rodgers

2./3. Ben Roethlisberger

:rofl:

Your opinion means literally nothing to me, lol. Tell me again how Tony Ugoh and Chris Johnson are two of the best players ever?

I do remember the draft and you educated us pretty well with the defense in the nfl redraft back then.

I guess it goes back to having a great team around you because every time a quarterback has won a superbowl its because largely in part the team had good D production. I get Manning being under Brees and Brady but Ben over Brees and Brady when I think those guys are consistently damn near unbeatable even with much lamer supporting casts. But like you said, opinions don't mean a lot.

1. Aaron Rodgers

2./3. Ben Roethlisberger

:rofl:

Your opinion means literally nothing to me, lol. Tell me again how Tony Ugoh and Chris Johnson are two of the best players ever?

I do remember the draft and you educated us pretty well with the defense in the nfl redraft back then.

I guess it goes back to having a great team around you because every time a quarterback has won a superbowl its because largely in part the team had good D production. I get Manning being under Brees and Brady but Ben over Brees and Brady when I think those guys are consistently damn near unbeatable even with much lamer supporting casts. But like you said, opinions don't mean a lot.

Changed your tune after I slobbered over Russell Wilson. :shifty:

I think our QBs are very alike and belong together. Something like

Rodgers

Brees

Brady

Peyton

Roethlisberger

Wilson

Rivers

Luck

Ryan

1. Aaron Rodgers - Still the best QB in the game

2. Drew Brees - Brees just airs it out year after year and actually performs better than any other QB on this list in the playoffs (this past season was mediocre however).

3. Tom Brady - Brady had a down year in regards to his normal standards but still a good year. Brady's situation is funny. When they were winning Superbowls, defense was the primary factor. When Brady start putting up those gaudy numbers, they were successful still making it to superbowls but not winning. Brady will still go down as an all time great but Belichick will always be the greater of the two imo.

4. Peyton Manning - Going to be an all time great but is a regular season champion and can't continue making excuses for him every year in the playoffs. Can't always put the blame on Peyton's team when we are talking like 14 years. His playoff performances is the only thing that prevents him from being #1 on list; well I guess you can say all time as well.

5. Ben Roethlisberger - Insanely underrated and probably one of the most clutch QBs on this list. Honestly, I'd probably take Big Ben over any of these QBs in a clutch situation which should warrant a higher place on this list. I truly struggle with this invisible line in this tier level of elite QBs.

6. Phillip Rivers - I didn't doubt Rivers ability even considering his previous two seasons. This year he showed that he belongs in this place imo.

7. Tony Romo - Dr. Jeckyll and Mr.Hyde. So many different factors in regards to evaluating Romo. He's a hero until the last minute. He digs his teams out of big holes and then can blow it when it matters the most. Romo can't play with the entire load on this shoulders and that is what Dallas does. Romo needs balance and they shouldn't have Romo passing to close out a game which is something they do quite a lot. You put Romo with another team like the Texans or Browns and I think you'll have a problem. Dallas playcallers and management are retarded.

8. Matt Ryan - One of the worst if not the worse offensive lines in the league. He played without his most explosive weapon this year and a limping Roddy White and still put up numbers. He threw a lot of pics but their offensive situation was horrible. Still sketchy in the playoffs as well.

9. Andrew Luck - The best young passer in the game in my opinion and I believe will continue to rise up this list as time goes by.

10. Cam Newton - Cam is a ßoss and a very dangerous play maker with less to work with than anyone on this list. If you give Cam some weapons on offense and he undoubtedly moves up this list.

10 b. - Russell Wilson - People will probably shout blasphemy with Wilson being slightly outside the top 10. The kid is a great play maker and does everything he is asked to do. He is incredibly efficient and he makes the important plays that needs to be made. You can't take that away from him. He's clutch. However, he does have the best defense in the league keeping scores low and an elite RB carrying the load on offense. When defenses game plan against the seahawks offense, make no mistake that they game plan for stopping Lynch first. The thing about that though, if they gameplan for Lynch, Wilson can still kill you. Wilson is just in a perfect situation but if any of these other 10 QBs were with the Seahawks, I still believe they win a superbowl. If you put Wilson on any of these other teams, I don't think he's as good. One thing you can say about the rest of these QBs is that they carry the load for their teams unlike Wilson.

Edited by dutchff7
  • Upvote 2

1. Aaaron Rodgers

2. Tom Brady

3. Ben Roethlisburger

4. Drew Brees

5. Peyton Manning

6. Matt Ryan

7. Eli Manning

8. Joe Flacco

9. Russell Wilson

10. RG3

I still stand by this...for the most part

1. Aaron Rodgers

2. Tom Brady

3. Drew Brees

4. Ben Roethlisberger

5. Peyton Manning

6. Phillip Rivers

7. Russell Wilson

8. Eli Manning

9. Andrew Luck

10. Matt Ryan

• Upvote 2

I think what moved Peyton Manning to the very top to me is the fact that he HAS lost some of his arm strength. It's apparent just by watching him. Yet he's still outsmarting defenses. Cerebral assassin.

I think what moved Peyton Manning to the very top to me is the fact that he HAS lost some of his arm strength. It's apparent just by watching him. Yet he's still outsmarting defenses. Cerebral assassin.

yeah, Manning's arm has never been his best asset, which is not to say that he's never had a good arm

1) Aaron Rodgers

2) Tom Brady

3) Drew Brees

4) Peyton Manning

5) Ben Roethlisberger

6) Phillip Rivers

7) Andrew Luck

8) Russell Wilson

9) Cam Newton

10) Matt Ryan

Rodgers is an obvious #1 choice. I think Peyton and Ben are interchangeable at #4/#5. Numbers 7-10 obviously have some young guns who I feel are deserving. I struggled with the #10 spot. Thought hard about guys like Romo, Eli, hell even Cutler and Stafford. I just still think Ryan is a hypersolid QB going through some rough patches with his offensive line right now. If they get it turned around in Atlanta he'll rise to the top again.

• Upvote 1

1) Drew Brees

2) Aaron Rodgers

3) Peyton Manning

4) Tom Brady

5) Phillip Rivers

6) Ben Roethlisberger

7) Russel Wilson

8) Cam Newton

9) Tony Romo

10) Matt Ryan

Edited by Thanatos19

1) Drew Brees

2) Aaron Rodgers

3) Peyton Manning

4) Tom Brady

5) Phillip Rivers

6) Ben Roethlisberger

7) Tony Romo

8) Russel Wilson

9) Cam Newton

10) Tony Romo

10) Matt Ryan

So Tony Romo gets 2 spots in the top 10? That's fine.

• Upvote 1

Can't agree with Rivers over Ben after this past season, Thanatos.

1) Drew Brees

2) Aaron Rodgers

3) Peyton Manning

4) Tom Brady

5) Phillip Rivers

6) Ben Roethlisberger

7) Tony Romo

8) Russel Wilson

9) Cam Newton

10) Tony Romo

10) Matt Ryan

So Tony Romo gets 2 spots in the top 10? That's fine.

I havent the faintest idea what you are talking about.

Can't agree with Rivers over Ben after this past season, Thanatos.

This is purely a "who is the best ten *right now*."

Ben and Rivers are essentially the same to me. 5/6 is w/e, not saying one is much better than the other.

1) Tom Brady

2) Peyton Manning

3) Drew Brees

4) Aaron Rodgers

5) Ben Roethlisberger

6) Russell Wilson

7) Andrew Luck

8) Cam Newton

9) Matt Ryan

10) Eli Manning

Edited by panthergf

Eli over Rivers is silly at this point IMO

As is Peyton Manning over Brees and Rodgers...

You could argue Manning is better than Brees.

Had Rivers on there at 10 originally but then changed my mind that is why I edited it I did let Eli's accomplishments sway what I originally thought though. Its a coin flip between the two for me. As for Manning because he continues to work on a high level even at his age. Had a poor Super Bowl but at the very least he was in the Super Bowl and lead his team to a AFC Championship and won another MVP. Then its just a toss up between Brees and Rodgers for me at least imo.

Edited by panthergf

You could argue Manning is better than Brees.

You better run.

The ZackMobile is set to destroy.

*sprints to bunker*

1) Tom Brady

2) Peyton Manning

3) Drew Brees

4) Aaron Rodgers

5) Ben Roethlisberger

6) Russell Wilson

7) Andrew Luck

8) Cam Newton

9) Matt Ryan

10) Eli Manning

So Andrew Luck is the better young quarterback, but he still falls short of RW in your overall rankings. Got it.

• Downvote 3

1) Tom Brady

2) Peyton Manning

3) Drew Brees

4) Aaron Rodgers

5) Ben Roethlisberger

6) Russell Wilson

7) Andrew Luck

8) Cam Newton

9) Matt Ryan

10) Eli Manning

So Andrew Luck is the better young quarterback, but he still falls short of RW in your overall rankings. Got it.

:think:

If your going by my post in the previous thread those are two different topics and your comparing apples to oranges if you think I was contradicting myself. The young QB thread is asking me to predict how I think they will perform in 2014 and rank them per that prediction. This thread is asking my overall opinion of the QB's to this point. I am not a fortune teller so I can't take a "prediction" and apply it to my overall thoughts of what a qb has accomplished to this point in his career and how he has played thus far not what I think he will do next season.

So as of now Wilson in THIS thread ranks higher to me because this thread is about now and Wilson just won a Super Bowl and has played very well. As for what he might do in 2014 my thoughts on that are in the young QB thread that we leave our predictions for rankings for 2014 ;) .

EDIT: Also if I was ranking the young QB per now that list would look similar to how they are listed here to this point.

Edited by panthergf
  • Upvote 2

So to be an elite QB, can you be elite in spurts like Eli was just in those two playoff runs and get the elite title or do you have to be consistent year in and year out to be considered elite?

5. Eli Manning (Just get him to the playoffs...)

Isn't it Eli's job to get his team to the playoffs?

Edited by dutchff7

Eli might have had the worst non-jags supporting cast in the league. How they got to 7-9 last year is beyond me.

• Upvote 1