Bay

Top 10 QBs

Cam has the better team?

Oh. So the Panthers all of a sudden because of one good season are now completely better than the Cowboys and nullify the past decade of their (Cowboys) idiotic spending and big name FA's and ridiculous deals for sub par players.

Tell me what Cam has had to work (who is younger) with and what Romo (who is over 30 and has been in the league for YEARS) has had?

Just a few years ago, you Cowboys fans were ranting and raving about how great the defense was. Meanwhile, you still have Jason Witten, Dez, Demarco Murray, and at one point Miles Austin when he was healthy. Yet..they still can't even win their own damn laughingstock of a division :lol:

Cam works with nothing but Smitty and Olsen, and makes the best out of it.

Romo has everything that he needs to drive and offense, but he likes to fuck it up when his team actually needs him to play the role of an efficient QB.

I would not take Romo over Cam at this point in time. Yet you Cowboys fans act like it isn't a debate. Romo isn't even a top 10 QB, he's past his sub par prime, and his career is about to ride into the sunset with his back issues.

That's my thoughts, but I guarantee it'll turn into a 'OMGZ YOU CANT TALK BECAUSE OF MATTY SLUSH DEBATE'

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

"The better team" meaning the better team...as in offense, defense and special teams.

Now, feel free to google what those three terms mean. And get back to me.

I don't know how anyone would take the inferior QB, is it because Cam can run? He's not the better passer by any means.

The idea that Tony Romo isn't a top 10 QB and that Cam Newton is currently a better QB is about as hilarious as it comes.

Romo has turned guys who aren't even in the league any more into decent, 7-10 TD receivers. Remember Patrick Crayton? Remember Laurent Robinson?

Cole Beasley shouldn't be on an NFL roster. Dwayne Harris is a fucking returner. Even Jesse Holly would have produced with Romo and a bunch of snaps.

You plug him in, Romo makes him work. Even Roy Wiliams looked decent, at times, with Tony Romo.

Yes, he has weapons, but only last year did he EVER have an OL since 2009 and only last year did his #1 tailback actually stay healthy. And before Murray, remember how good Felix Jones was supposed to be? Then he couldn't stay off the lam.

And yet, all unraveled due to a porous defense run by a washed up name with senile tendencies in today's NFL. The issues in Dallas (as far as not making the playoffs are concerned) are so numerous that Tony Romo's here and there mistakes aren't even close to the top of the list.

Bad GM. Bad coach in the worst of situations. Bad defense. Up until last year a bbbbbaaadddd offensive line. 3 straight years of bad defense, two of those years with potential but countless injuries to key players, and last year with outdated schematics, to boot.

If you can't see that Tony Romo is currently a better QB than Cam Newton, you. are. not. watching. objectively.

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Why should Cowboys fan even have to defend Romo being a top 10 QB. He's a top 7 QB without question imo.

This x1000

Every Tony Romo hater says that objective Cowboy fans make excuses for him. The people who make excuses are those who are trying to criticize him.

The Cowboys have a great QB, and that should be a consensus opinion because it follows what they call, you know, logical reasoning.

The hate is fueled by the star, not by actual, thoughtful reasoning. Tony Romo's late game issues don't even add up to a full handful of games.

The guy makes it happen, or others don't. That's all there is to it.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Please quit saying this . "Every single QB on these lists has taken teams with as much or less talent to the playoffs multiple teams and has has had a couple playoff runs."

Cam Newton has not, has lesser stats, and has the better team.

Cam has the better defense for sure, but as far as putting up stats goes, give me The Cowboys offense The Panthers have nothing on offense without Cam Newton.

And yet, all unraveled due to a porous defense run by a washed up name with senile tendencies in today's NFL. The issues in Dallas (as far as not making the playoffs are concerned) are so numerous that Tony Romo's here and there mistakes aren't even close to the top of the list.

Bad GM. Bad coach in the worst of situations. Bad defense. Up until last year a bbbbbaaadddd offensive line. 3 straight years of bad defense, two of those years with potential but countless injuries to key players, and last year with outdated schematics, to boot.

I agree with most of what you've said. Romo doesn't deserve as much blame as the media and other fans claim but in the same sense, I think Cowboys fans try to exempt him from too much blame. Romo plays hero and performs awesome the entire game, digging his team out of a hole but in those crucial moments, Romo might make that one mistake. Maybe the only mistake the entire game but it's a critical one that can cost them the game. The Denver game was a perfect example of that: http://www.thegridironpalace.com/forums/index.php?/topic/67206-dallasdenver-deciding-moment-not-the-one-you-think-it-was/

Was that game completely on Romo? Not at all. Romo was carrying the weight of his team which was pretty dam heavy with how bad they were playing. However, he did throw the game ending interception which sealed the game and prevented them from winning the game. Romo's career is somewhat plagued with situations like that in important games to get into the playoffs. Romo has always had the weapons to be successful on offense. But out of all of Dallas's problems, Tony Romo is near where near at the top of that list. Without Romo, the Cowboys are probably no more then a .275 team and Romo is definitely a top 10 QB in my opinion.

Here is a good question for the Romo vs Cam debates.

If Romo was with the Panthers, do they go into the playoffs and if they do, do they go further with Romo?

If Cam was with the Cowboys, do they do better then 8-8 or go to the playoffs? Or does the weight of the Cowboys drag Cam to a worse record?

Edited by Dutch

If Romo was with the Panthers, do they go into the playoffs and if they do, do they go further than with Romo?

If Cam was with the Cowboys, do they do better then 8-8 or go to the playoffs? Or does the weight of the Cowboys drag Cam to a worse record?

Even with his sub-par work ethic and questionable passion and dedication, I think Tony Romo wins that debate. I used to hate Cam quite a bit, and I still don't think he is some amazing talent... but he is a very good player and I have warmed up to him more. He has matured a bit since coming into the league but needs to do so even more to take his own game and that Panthers squad to the next level.

The real question is... Could the Panthers D carry Romo beyond game 1? I would like to think yes.

Yes no question.

I'd go as so far as to say the New York Jets would have won a Super Bowl already if Tony Romo was their QB.

If Romo was with the Panthers, do they go into the playoffs and if they do, do they go further with Romo?

Yes and then no to the first one. Yes, they get into the playoffs. No, they do not get past the 49ers. I'd even say they do not win the division, because some of the plays that were pulled by Cam in the Patriots and Saints games I do not see Romo doing. But they still get a WC.

Yes they get to the playoffs with Cam, purely because the athleticism provides the added factor the Cowboys need. All you need to do is win one game Romo lost here.

Like I said. I do not see this as a huge difference. They are #8 and #9 on my list. Newton is the better QB, in my eyes, but its a slim margin. It's the Cowboys fans acting like its not even a debate that is funny.

There is zero question Romo has always had better weapons on offense. There is zero question the Panthers defense was better in 2013.

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And there is zero question that Romo has the better numbers by far.

Cam Newton

292/473, 61.7%, 3379 passing yards, 7.14 YPA, 111 Rushing Attempts, 585 Rushing Yards, 5.3 YPC, 3964 total yards, 24 passing TDs, 6 rushing TDs, 30 total TDs, 13 INTs, 1 fumble lost, 14 total turnovers, QBR 88.8, 12-4 record.

Tony Romo

342/535, 63.9%, 3828 passing yards, 7.16 YPA, 20 rushing attempts, 38 yards, 1.9 YPC, 3866 total yards, 31 passing TDs, 0 rushing TDs, 31 total TDs, 10 INTs, 2 fumbles lost, 12 total turnovers, QBR 96.7, 8-7 record.

With the sole exception of QBR, which will naturally be skewed in Romo's favor as it doesn't take rushing stats into account, they are pretty damn close in every major category. Romo has 2% better completion, 0.02 better YPA, 80 less total yards, 1 more TD, and 2 less turnovers.

His numbers are not "better by far with zero question" for 2013. They are close, and Romo, without a doubt, had better offensive weapons in 2013.

Now Romo didnt play the last game of the season, so he would undoubtedly have ended with ~300 more yards, probably 2 more TDs or so and likely, given the fact that it was an elimination game, at least one more INT in crunch time or possibly two.

Numbers still end up very close, so don't act like Romo blew Newton out of the water last year, because you're smoking crack if you think so.

Edited by Thanatos19

So Romo has the better numbers?

Like I've been saying. Next.

• Upvote 1

Tony Romo has slightly better numbers with a better receiving core.

Edited by Dutch

The other thing is that Carolina was #1 in the league in plays/drive and #2 in time/drive. We didn't move up and down the field very quickly, and thus Cam has less drives to pile up numbers.

I would be on board with Thanatos if I gave a rat's ass about how well a QB can run the ball, but this is a passing league.

So Tony Romo has the better numbers all across the board?

K thanks I knew that.

Nick Foles has better stats than either of them. Is he better?

Gonna need more than 10 good games to determine that. Sorry.

Gonna need more than 10 good games to determine that. Sorry.

Guess I'm saying stats are cool and all but let's move on since there are other things to look at, such as Foles short career length. Another example big bens accumulated stats are pretty similar to Romo throughout their careers. I would take Ben in a heartbeat though.

The two guys you're comparing are similar enough that there's a valid conversation so there's no need to be dismissive because romo had a slightly better statistical season.

• Upvote 2

But overall better right?

Yea. Did someone say otherwise? I skimmed so if they did, I missed it.

Here's how I think about the two. I know exactly what I get with Romo. He's a very very good QB and someone that can carry a team, but he's unlikely to get any better. He's a better passer than Cam, and probably Cam will never be as good a passer, but I've been wrong before. Romo has had int issues in the past, that still creep up on him when he's under pressure.

Cam is the more dynamic player with his legs and can make things happen on offense that Romo can't because of this. He also can overcome lesser offensive talent a little better. His potential to get better makes him more alluring if I'm starting a team.

I honestly am not sure who I would pick if all other things are equal. They are close enough that I would really have to think about it. I think for one game or even a season, I would lean Romo, but I'm not positive. If it were for the forseeable future the answer is obviously Cam, but that's more obvious just given their respective ages.

So in today's NFL, Romo is the better QB. Everyone is in agreement.

No further questions your honor.

• Downvote 3

Cam doesn't overcome lesser talent better than Romo. You've all seen Tony with guys like Patrick Crayton, Laurent Robinson, washed up Terry Glenn, Cole Beasley, Dwayne Harris, Roy Williams (when Tony actually had to find him) Jesse Holly, Terrence "Oh shit, I dropped it" Williams, right?

I mean, the argument that Tony couldn't do as well if not better than Cam in Carolina is pretty damn funny.