Sign in to follow this  
AllYouNeedIsLovie

Where does Andre Johnson land?

All off-season there has been rumblings about Andre Johnson not being happy in Houston and him not showing up to the team's minicamps. Today he requested a trade and it looks like the Texans will end up trading him. Johnson is 33, but is definitely still a top 10 WR and could be a big boost to many teams. Where do you think he goes? I have a few spots in mind:

:patriots: They could use a #1 WR and him and Tom Brady would be a pretty deadly combo. Andre doesn't have a ring so I'm sure he would love to be in New England

:panthers: The Panthers have an excellent defense and a very good QB, but lack weapons on offense. Johnson would be a huge upgrade to any receiver on the Panthers roster currently and could give some much needed fire power to the Panthers offense. Cam can't do everything by himself.

:Jets: While they did already add Eric Decker this off-season, I wouldn't really consider him a true #1 guy. The Jets could use all the weapons they can get if they want to put Geno Smith in a good place to succeed.

Edited by AllYouNeedIsLovie

Panthers can't afford Andre, otherwise that'd be sick. I could see a team like the Jets or the Eagles make a move for him.

does Andre have any say? if so I think the Jets are probably off the list if he's looking for a contender, they're no better off than the Texans

I would love him. At his peak, I thought he was the best in the game. Even over Megatron. Even now, he's crazy good.

Edited by KempBolt
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

AJ will be a texan this season.

• Upvote 1

If Spotrac's cap numbers are accurate (or at least within 5% variance), then the best landing spots would be...

Cincinnati

Philadelphia

Miami

I doubt the Texans would trade Johnson to a non-contender like NY, intra-division to the Colts or that the Steelers truly have $16.5M in cap room (or that if they did that they would use it all on Johnson alone).

If Johnson really were on the market, and if the Bengals could land him, it would probably make them damn near AFC Favorites (because assuming their D maintains, an upgraded O w/ Andre proves a lethal combination... even with the Red Rifle under center). His dead cap hit the next two years is not overly killer should the Bengals only want to chase a ring this year with him or should he flame out. It's a damn near perfect fit.

Edited by Cobresol

He may have some influence on the landing spot through restructuring for some teams and not for others.

I would love him. At his peak, I thought he was the best in the game. Even over Megatron. Even now, he's crazy good.

He has lost a step these days, but his route running is very clever. I saw one bit of footage where he made Sherman look like an amateur in last season's match-up.

I will hate to lose him as it hurts Texans offensive firepower this coming season, but it will make sense financially for Texans and may snag us an extra pick in the next draft.

Edited by Wattafan

Ngata for Dre straight across. Fills a need for both teams for players past their primes.

So at 33, with declining speed, and a fairly hefty contract what can the Texans reasonably expect to get for him?

So at 33, with declining speed, and a fairly hefty contract what can the Texans reasonably expect to get for him?

A contender like the Pats or Seahawks would easily give up a 2nd round pick for him.

A contender like the Pats or Seahawks would easily give up a 2nd round pick for him.

Somehow I doubt it. Heck of a player, but at that age and with that contract I can't see that high of a price tag.

A conditional 4th like what the Niners traded for Stevie would make sense. He's not the same player, but he's 5 years younger and about half as expensive.

Somehow I doubt it. Heck of a player, but at that age and with that contract I can't see that high of a price tag.

A conditional 4th like what the Niners traded for Stevie would make sense. He's not the same player, but he's 5 years younger and about half as expensive.

Andre Johnson is still an elite player in this league and can change games. Neither the Pats or Seahawks have a consistent receiver of that caliber(Pats would if GRonk could play more than a game a season, but he can't). For the Pats especially, a 2nd round pick is reasonable. They're on their last few years with Brady.

• Upvote 1

Andre Johnson is still an elite player in this league and can change games. Neither the Pats or Seahawks have a consistent receiver of that caliber(Pats would if GRonk could play more than a game a season, but he can't). For the Pats especially, a 2nd round pick is reasonable. They're on their last few years with Brady.

He's a high end possession receiver at this point in his career. But it's not like teams aren't aware of his age or what happens to players getting up in their 30's.

Yeah, I agree with Air. I think Andre Johnson warrants no less than a 2nd round pick straight up unless a team is willing to give up multiple picks like a 3rd and some change. I think the Patriots would be a beautiful place for Andre. Tom Brady with a bonafide elite #1 receiver of Andre's caliber would be very problematic. I think they added some great pieces on defense and obtaining a #1 receiver on offense would really balance out that team and be equally dangerous on both sides of the ball.

However though... my Eagles really have the cap space to get him. We also seem to have a weird obsession with Texans players lol. We have about 19 million in cap space and we are a really hot team right now with Chip Kelly, Foles and McCoy. I don't see the Texans really preferring to deal him to an AFC team and we make sense right now. Like Kemp said, (assuming he leaves Houston at all), Andre has the ability to restructure his deal for teams he would like to play for. I see that an easy possibility considering how bad is sounds he wants out of Houston. I know we have some players coming up that we will deal some contracts to, but our front office as amazing at that type of stuff and if anyone could make it work, it would be us. But the prospect of being able to land Andre Johnson would be insane in our offense. Chip Kelly, Nick Foles, Lesean McCoy who is a top RB in this league, Jeremy Maclin, Jordan Matthews, Zach Ertz, Darren Sproles and the list goes on.. Our offense would easily put up monstrous and historic numbers. Defenses would go bananas trying to game plan against us.

If the Eagles are thinking like a contender, I say they are trying to make this happen especially if he's considering to reconstruct his contract to get out of Houston which seems more then possible. You give Foles and Chip Kelly an elite WR who wants to win, a leader, and he could prove much more useful than the last elite WR we traded for with all that baggage. It's within our means to do it (even financially) so this should be a green light all the way. I pray our organization is trying to pull the trigger.

Edited by Dutch

He's a high end possession receiver at this point in his career. But it's not like teams aren't aware of his age or what happens to players getting up in their 30's.

There are cases of WRs doing just fine in their mid 30s. It's not like RB where it's almost unheard of. Especially for a guy like Andre Johnson who relies a lot on his size more than anything. Especially over the last few years, even when he was still physically in his prime he started to adjust his game to accommodate for getting older. Calvin Johnson is the only WR in the NFL I fear more than Andre(there's a couple others on par with Andre, too, just saying overall).

Wide receivers can play well into their mid 30's, but that doesn't mean that age won't affect what teams are willing to invest. Especially when they're probably going to be taking on significant salary. I'll be mildly surprised if the Texans get a 2nd.

Wide receivers can play well into their mid 30's, but that doesn't mean that age won't affect what teams are willing to invest. Especially when they're probably going to be taking on significant salary. I'll be mildly surprised if the Texans get a 2nd.

Well, the contending teams probably could care less, overall, about their 2nd round pick next year. They're either A. An already young, well established team who don't really need more young talent(Seahawks) or B. A team that is getting up there in years at it's key spots and is looking to win now more than ever(Patriots).

Andre has redone his deal 3 or 4 times for the Texans. If you put him on a super bowl contender he'll redo it again. And in the case of the Pats, Brady's already shown he's willing to take less than what he's worth and could potentially restructure again. I don't see the contract being too big of a deal in the case of him going to a serious contender because all he wants now is to win. He'll restructure to do that.

• Upvote 1

If Johnson really were on the market, and if the Bengals could land him, it would probably make them damn near AFC Favorites (because assuming their D maintains, an upgraded O w/ Andre proves a lethal combination... even with the Red Rifle under center). His dead cap hit the next two years is not overly killer should the Bengals only want to chase a ring this year with him or should he flame out. It's a damn near perfect fit.

AJ and Andre with Marvin in the slot and Sanu at #4? That plus Gio Bernard and a solid run game and defense? :smug: Instant SB contender

• Upvote 1

Well, the contending teams probably could care less, overall, about their 2nd round pick next year. They're either A. An already young, well established team who don't really need more young talent(Seahawks) or B. A team that is getting up there in years at it's key spots and is looking to win now more than ever(Patriots).

Andre has redone his deal 3 or 4 times for the Texans. If you put him on a super bowl contender he'll redo it again. And in the case of the Pats, Brady's already shown he's willing to take less than what he's worth and could potentially restructure again. I don't see the contract being too big of a deal in the case of him going to a serious contender because all he wants now is to win. He'll restructure to do that.

I highly doubt there's a team out there that could care less about 2nd round picks. With the wage scale, high picks are gold. Cheap, controllable talent. Not that they never get traded, but a 2nd is pretty darn good return for someone.

There's a difference though between restructuring and taking a pay cut. The latter is what teams would have to convince him of. Otherwise you're just pushing larger cap hits into the future for an already old player.

And really the precedent just doesn't seem to be there. The Cards got a 3rd & 4th for Boldin when he was still only 29. The Bills, as previously alluded to, got a conditional 4th for a controllable 27 year old.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that we could be overlooking the cons (age, slight decline, contract) because of the name recognition. But hey, we will see.

Edited by KempBolt
  • Upvote 1

AJ and Andre with Marvin in the slot and Sanu at #4? That plus Gio Bernard and a solid run game and defense? :smug: Instant SB contender

I'm not trying to be a dick, but why? Has the issue for the Bengals been a lack of good targets? Doesn't seem like it would fix the problem that's been holding the Bengals back.

• Upvote 1

I believe the Bengals could be potential Superbowl contenders right now if they got better play out of Dalton. However though, I think Dalton is about to have his best year this season with Hue Jackson as their OC and the Bengals will win their first playoff game. You heard it here first.

I believe the Bengals could be potential Superbowl contenders right now if they got better play out of Dalton. However though, I think Dalton is about to have his best year this season with Hue Jackson as their OC and the Bengals will win their first playoff game. You heard it here first.

Jackson seems more likely to boost the running game than Dalton. Seems Jay Gruden was better suited to getting the most out of Andy.

Jay Gruden burnt Dalton's wick. He made him throw 51 fucking times in a playoff game. I think Hue has a way better offense than Gruden. Wish we kept Zimmer though. Would've made us a contender to ditch Gruden and keep Zimmer.

Edited by Chernobyl426

I'm not trying to be a dick, but why? Has the issue for the Bengals been a lack of good targets? Doesn't seem like it would fix the problem that's been holding the Bengals back.

Not that but we are stuck with Dalton right now. We can't rebuild yet, so we need to build around him this year. See: Jeremy Hill