Sign in to follow this  
AllYouNeedIsLovie

Where does Andre Johnson land?

they should trade him to Oakland :smug:

We have no room for a WR, but I'd die to have him. We have cap space (although we are looking to tie up Jordy and Randall)... Get him as a 1 or 2 year "rental" and it would be awesome. As I said in another thread, somewhere... I thought we had seen the best of Andre... I thought he was done. He proved me wrong, and now I think he is immortal. I think a 2 is still quite a bit for a 33 year old WR, though... No matter who it is.

But I could see a 3 and change as Dutch alluded to. Him with the Pats would break my heart... Ha.

No cap space at all, but dayum. That would fix everything in Carolina and immediately rocket them up to a serious contender.

Ngata for Dre straight across. Fills a need for both teams for players past their primes.

There's a thought...

I'd love him in Philly. Jordan Matthews would soak up all he could from Andre Johnson. Maclin and the rest of our young WR's too.

The Houston Chronicle reports Andre Johnson "will not be traded."

Beat writer John McClain is plugged in to all things Texans. He believes the Texans want Johnson to finish his career in Houston and they don't want to deal Johnson simply because he wants out, which would set a precedent for similar situations if they were to develop in the future. Another big factor is money. The Texans would eat $12 million by trading Johnson, and the acquiring team would take on his roughly $16 million cap hit. Johnson will be playing for the Texans come Week 1, or he'll sit out and forfeit over $500,000 per week.

• Upvote 2

McClain also staked his reputation that HOU would take a QB over Clowney. He's a great beat writer, but he's not as plugged in as his reputation would lead one to believe.

Edited by KempBolt

Wide receivers can play well into their mid 30's, but that doesn't mean that age won't affect what teams are willing to invest. Especially when they're probably going to be taking on significant salary. I'll be mildly surprised if the Texans get a 2nd.

Agree, I think he is virtually immovable to a high end team because of his contract and the 12m the Texans would have to eat. I mean teams would probably have to cut a handful of players and still restructure his contract just to make space. I don't see the Texans getting a 2nd, mainly due to the factors you said but also because he killed some of his trade value stating he wants out. Teams aren't going to break the bank for a player who is basically forcing a move away. The Texans are in a difficult spot.

I don't look too much into the contract side of football but I know in the NHL, teams can trade a player while retaining some of that players cap hit. If that exists, I could see the Texans poaching a high draft pick, while retaining a part of his cap hit.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but why? Has the issue for the Bengals been a lack of good targets? Doesn't seem like it would fix the problem that's been holding the Bengals back.

Yeah, I felt the Bengals were the best overall team in the AFC last year, aside from QB.

Dre would make the Bengals an instant SB contender not because he corrects the Bengals' biggest flaws, but because you can never have enough weapons.

The Cards rode a Warner/Boldin/Fitz trio to within a play of winning a Championship. While Dalton is no Kurt Warner, the Cardinals didn't have an OL, D or RB like these Bengals.

With Dre and AJ on the field defenses have to pick their poison. No more doubling up AJ and forcing Dalton elsewhere.

If anything would make Dalton a better passer, adding a legit threat like Dre would be it. It's a terrifying thought.

McClain also staked his reputation that HOU would take a QB over Clowney. He's a great beat writer, but he's not as plugged in as his reputation would lead one to believe.

All beat writers get the draft stuff wrong. McClain is one of the better beat writers in the nFL.

Dalton is no Kurt Warner

and that's exactly why a comparison to Arizona completely fails, you put Dalton on that team instead of Warner and that team does not get to a Super Bowl, sure, Warner was old by that point, but he was still a very good QB and a huuuuuuuge part of the Cardinals' Super Bowl run, just look at what the Cardinals did both before and after Warner and you should understand how important Warner was to the success of that team Edited by oochymp
  • Upvote 2

and that's exactly why a comparison to Arizona completely fails, you put Dalton on that team instead of Warner and that team does not get to a Super Bowl, sure, Warner was old by that point, but he was still a very good QB and a huuuuuuuge part of the Cardinals' Super Bowl run, just look at what the Cardinals did both before and after Warner and you should understand how important Warner was to the success of that team

Yeah, this is pretty spot on. Warner's run with the Cards is what catapulted him into the HOF conversation, and his early years in the NFL are the groundwork for that argument. His playoff numbers alone are off the charts. Warner was one of the greatest QBs that our generation has seen. In his prime, he was bar none the best in the league. In his decline, he was light years ahead of lolAndy.

Dalton is like Einstein's camera: Flashes of brilliance. When the stakes go up though, his level of play goes way down. The dude has weapons that some QBs only dream of, and he can't get it done when it counts. Putting another bad-ass wide receiver out there for him to not find in crunch time helps no one.

Quoting isn't working for me, so...

RE: Dalton/Warner

There isn't a direct comparison there, because Warner is > Dalton, but the situation would be similar (offensive weapons surrounding a QB).

The bottom line is that a team must put their QB in the best possible situation to succeed. We don't know if Dalton would improve with a secondary receiver like Dre or not. At the very least we would find out near certainty Dalton's ceiling.

If I were a gambling man (and I am), I would bet that Dalton would improve with Dre on the Bengals. I would also, if his performance did improve over the course of the season, have no problems putting money on him SU/ATS vs. any team in the AFC save the Broncos (this holds true even if the Bengals don't acquire Dre).

Dalton is no Brady/Manning, who can elevate the players around him, but with the right players surrounding him he could thrive.

Neil O'Donnell made a Super Bowl. Alex Smith came within a couple muffed returns of making one. Trent Dilfer and Joe Flacco won one.

Andy Dalton has similar trajectory.

Edited by Cobresol

Johnson showed up at training camp this morning per NFL network.

All you vultures can go back home now. :dance:

I doubt we could afford both Johnson and Wallace, but it would be nice. Then we could put Hartline in the slot where I think he would really shine.

Bill O'Brien must be one hell of a motivational speaker to get Johnson to report to camp. Seems like they met to discuss his issues, and suddenly Johnson was all for the Texans. Kind of weird. Also makes you wonder how worried defenses should be if they do indeed start moving Johnson around on the field like he commented they would on Saturday. Johnson has always primarily been on the right side, could you imagine him in the slot? That would be a spectacle.

Bill O'Brien must be one hell of a motivational speaker to get Johnson to report to camp. Seems like they met to discuss his issues, and suddenly Johnson was all for the Texans. Kind of weird. Also makes you wonder how worried defenses should be if they do indeed start moving Johnson around on the field like he commented they would on Saturday. Johnson has always primarily been on the right side, could you imagine him in the slot? That would be a spectacle.

The whisper is he was concerned he might have been in line for the chopping block next season. Bob McNair apparently stepped in and spoke with him and assured him that he would retire a Texan.

Perhaps he got some guaranteed money? - stay tuned.