Sign in to follow this  
KempBolt

Your All Overrated Team

Pretty self-explanatory. I'll just mention that I'm thinking overrated in terms of general consensus opinion on a guy (rather than just the TGP take on him). This should stir up some hard feelings :devious: .

Quarterback:

1st Team: Andrew Luck :Colts: Might come as a surprise given my recent defense of Luck, but he's broadly treated as though he's already an elite QB and he simply is not.

2nd Team: Alex Smith :Chiefs: This is probably less surprising. A below average QB who is treated as a good starter because of circumstances on his teams that have led to good records over the past few seasons.

Running Back:

1st Team: Arian Foster :Texans: Less of an elite player than just a good fit for a RB friendly system that gave him a lot of carries.

2nd Team: Ben Tate :Browns: Came into the offseason with really only 1 year to his name that was better than average (3 years ago, no less) but was viewed as a plug and play, high level starter.

Wide Receiver:

1st Team: Eric Decker :Jets: A solid starting outside receiver who put up WR1 numbers in an offense that inflates receiving statistics.

2nd Team: Desean Jackson :Redskins: Saw career highs after being featured and placed in great position by Chip Kelly. A correction awaits him in Washington.

Tight End:

1st Team: Jermaine Gresham :Bengals: It would seem that draft hype is still clinging to this guy in the public arena, but on the field he's among the worst starters at the TE position.

2nd Team: Antonio Gates :Chargers: A HOF caliber career is a good reason to think highly of a guy, but he's always been rather one dimensional, and that one dimension is fading.

Offensive Tackle:

1st Team: Jake Long :Rams: Injuries have robbed him of his once dominant abilities, but my sense is that a lot of people think he's still as good as he once was with the Dolphins.

2nd Team: Sam Baker :Falcons: Parlayed one decent season (our of 5) into a 6 yr 41M$ contract that, at least in part, has created the impression that he's a good starter.

Guard:

1st Team: Carl Nicks :Bucs: His Saints days and a mammoth contract lend the impression of dominance, but the reality is that his toe injury has really limited him.

2nd Team: Zane Beadles :jags: Playing offensive line for Peyton Manning can make you look better than what you are; Beadles is average or worse in pretty much every facet.

Center:

1st Team: Maurkice Pouncey :Steelers: His rookie year was by far his best, and he's often been mediocre or worse since (when he's not hurt, that is).

2nd Team: Scott Wells :Packers: Was a very nice player in Green Bay, and perhaps he's still viewed as that in STL (not that many people think about centers to begin with), but he hasn't been on that level since he joined the Rams.

Edge Player:

1st Team: Paul Kruger :Browns:

2nd Team: Connor Barwin :Eagles:

I'll just write one blurb for both of them, because they essentially have the same story: Fluky seasons with their former teams and bloated contracts have led to these guys both being really overrated edge pass rushers.

Interior Defensive Line:

1st Team: Darnell Dockett :Cardinals: The elite disruptor that lives in the mind of the public hasn't really existed since ~2010.

2nd Team: B.J. Raji :Packers: An elite 2010 season created a very high opinion of a player who has been average or worse ever since.

Off-LOS Linebacker:

1st Team: Dannell Ellerbe :dolphins: A great run during the 2012 playoffs brought on star status and a ridiculous 5 year 35M contract for a pretty middling player.

2nd Team: D'Qwell Jackson :Colts: The general surprise at his release, and the ensuing 4 yr 22M contract that he received let me know that there are some opinions of Jackson out there that haven't caught up to who he is at this point in his career.

Cornerback:

1st Team: Richard Sherman :Seahawks: A system that fits him like a glove and elite safety play make Sherman looks better than what I think he is (a top 5 corner who is widely regarded as the uncontested best in the league).

2nd Team: Cortland Finnegan :dolphins: At one time a very effective man corner, Finnegan's play fell off a cliff last year.

Safety:

1st Team: Dashon Goldson :Bucs: The beneficiary of a great front 7 in San Fran that allowed him to take risks, Goldson was exposed last year not as a bad player, but as one that's not close to the elite status he garnered with the Niners.

2nd Team: Mark Barron :Bucs: Barron was billed incorrectly as an elite S prospect coming out and has been a middling player since entering the league. Arguably worse than that even in coverage. Sorry Bucs fans, it's nothing personal.

Edited by KempBolt
  • Upvote 2

Overall, I like the list...

But let me clear something up.

Sam Baker even when healthy, has been extremely inefficient, he's never been 'good' since his USC days, where I didn't even think he was that great.

Can't be overrated if you were never good to begin with :yep:

Overall, I like the list...

But let me clear something up.

Sam Baker even when healthy, has been extremely inefficient, he's never been 'good' since his USC days, where I didn't even think he was that great.

Can't be overrated if you were never good to begin with :yep:

Well at least one person overrated him when they handed him that contract.

Well at least one person overrated him when they handed him that contract.

i+literaly+said+quot+is+that+weird+al+qu

The Dallas Cowboys. :troll:

Cortland Finnegan is easily 1st team. Living off his reputation right now.

Pretty self-explanatory. I'll just mention that I'm thinking overrated in terms of general consensus opinion on a guy (rather than just the TGP take on him). This should stir up some hard feelings :devious: .

Quarterback:

1st Team: Andrew Luck :Colts: Might come as a surprise given my recent defense of Luck, but he's broadly treated as though he's already an elite QB and he simply is not.

2nd Team: Alex Smith :Chiefs: This is probably less surprising. A below average QB who is treated as a good starter because of circumstances on his teams that have led to good records over the past few seasons.

Running Back:

1st Team: Arian Foster :Texans: Less of an elite player than just a good fit for a RB friendly system that gave him a lot of carries.

2nd Team: Ben Tate :Browns: Came into the offseason with really only 1 year to his name that was better than average (3 years ago, no less) but was viewed as a plug and play, high level starter.

Wide Receiver:

1st Team: Eric Decker :Jets: A solid starting outside receiver who put up WR1 numbers in an offense that inflates receiving statistics.

2nd Team: Desean Jackson :Eagles: Saw career highs after being featured and placed in great position by Chip Kelly. A correction awaits him in Washington.

Tight End:

1st Team: Jermaine Gresham :Bengals: It would seem that draft hype is still clinging to this guy in the public arena, but on the field he's among the worst starters at the TE position.

2nd Team: Antonio Gates :Chargers: A HOF caliber career is a good reason to think highly of a guy, but he's always been rather one dimensional, and that one dimension is fading.

Offensive Tackle:

1st Team: Jake Long :Rams: Injuries have robbed him of his once dominant abilities, but my sense is that a lot of people think he's still as good as he once was with the Dolphins.

2nd Team: Sam Baker :Falcons: Parlayed one decent season (our of 5) into a 6 yr 41M$ contract that, at least in part, has created the impression that he's a good starter.

Guard:

1st Team: Carl Nicks :Bucs: His Saints days and a mammoth contract lend the impression of dominance, but the reality is that his toe injury has really limited him.

2nd Team: Zane Beadles :jags: Playing offensive line for Peyton Manning can make you look better than what you are; Beadles is average or worse in pretty much every facet.

Center:

1st Team: Maurkice Pouncey :Steelers: His rookie year was by far his best, and he's often been mediocre or worse since (when he's not hurt, that is).

2nd Team: Scott Wells :Packers: Was a very nice player in Green Bay, and perhaps he's still viewed as that in STL (not that many people think about centers to begin with), but he hasn't been on that level since he joined the Rams.

Edge Player:

1st Team: Paul Kruger :Browns:

I'll just write one blurb for both of them, because they essentially have the same story: Fluky seasons with their former teams and bloated contracts have led to these guys both being really overrated edge pass rushers.

Interior Defensive Line:

1st Team: Darnell Dockett :Cardinals: The elite disruptor that lives in the mind of the public hasn't really existed since ~2010.

2nd Team: B.J. Raji :Packers: An elite 2010 season created a very high opinion of a player who has been average or worse ever since.

Off-LOS Linebacker:

1st Team: Dannell Ellerbe :dolphins: A great run during the 2012 playoffs brought on star status and a ridiculous 5 year 35M contract for a pretty middling player.

2nd Team: D'Qwell Jackson :Colts: The general surprise at his release, and the ensuing 4 yr 22M contract that he received let me know that there are some opinions of Jackson out there that haven't caught up to who he is at this point in his career.

Cornerback:

1st Team: Richard Sherman :Seahawks: A system that fits him like a glove and elite safety play make Sherman looks better than what I think he is (a top 5 corner who is widely regarded as the uncontested best in the league).

2nd Team: Cortland Finnegan :dolphins: At one time a very effective man corner, Finnegan's play fell off a cliff last year.

Safety:

1st Team: Dashon Goldson :Bucs: The beneficiary of a great front 7 in San Fran that allowed him to take risks, Goldson was exposed last year not as a bad player, but as one that's not close to the elite status he garnered with the Niners.

2nd Team: Mark Barron :Bucs: Barron was billed incorrectly as an elite S prospect coming out and has been a middling player since entering the league. Arguably worse than that even in coverage. Sorry Bucs fans, it's nothing personal.

Call me a homer but I think Foster is in the top 5 RB's - simply because he is a dangerous receiver as well.

As far as a system making him look good is concerned, you could probably make that argument for most RB's.

With Andrew Luck, he is probably a little over-rated. He does throw plenty of ints but you have to admire the way he can bring his team from behind for wins - that's impressive for a relatively new NFL QB.

DeSean Jackson is on the :Redskins: bruh.

My bust.

Call me a homer but I think Foster is in the top 5 RB's - simply because he is a dangerous receiver as well.

As far as a system making him look good is concerned, you could probably make that argument for most RB's.

With Andrew Luck, he is probably a little over-rated. He does throw plenty of ints but you have to admire the way he can bring his team from behind for wins - that's impressive for a relatively new NFL QB.

You could make the argument that most offenses are RB friendly? How so?

Kubiak's zone heavy approach has a history of boosting the stats of otherwise average talents. It's the reason why Shanaban is notorious for turning later round running backs into productive starters. Now I'm not saying Foster secretly sucks- I just think the numbers are inflated in that system.

Luck actually didn't throw many picks. 4th lowest INT% among starters in 2013. I admire him for how good he is and how good I think he'll be, but I hear media types putting him in the top ten overall. That's ludicrous.

Pretty much every QB is overrated, at least by the media and/or 'die hard' fans.

There's no clear criteria for rating them in the first place and statistical analysis yields absurd anomalies:

-ESPN's 'QBR' *rolls eyes*

-Peyton is superior by nearly every measure to his brother, but Eli says count da ringz.

-Drew Brees throws 650+ times a game, running an offense like a 14 year old playing Madden, and he's treated like a god. Meanwhile he has as many playoff wins as Mark Sanchez since 2010.

-Peyton's first five years playoff record: 3-5. Labeled as 'unable to win the big game'. Brady's last five years: 4-5. Still lauded as 'the best'. Meanwhile Joe Flacco went 9-4 in the playoffs his first five years and the debate still rages whether or not he's 'elite'.

-"Running' QBs like Vick are the 'next big thing". How many 'scrambling' QBs have hoisted a Lombardi? Nice throwing, Kaepernick.

-"'Big' QBs are the way to go". JaMarcus Russell.

The ridiculous rule changes to favor the passing game (illegal contact, personal fouls for hits across the middle and roughing the passer) have favored QBs so much that it's nearly impossible to be a bad QB in the modern NFL (and yet Blaine Gabbert and Brandon Weeden found ways).

QBs are the most scrutinized position not just because 'it's the toughest position', but because nobody really knows how to objectively analyze/assess them. One can cherry pick stats to fit a specific argument. People see what they want to see.

Therefore the position is 'overrated' because nobody knows how to properly rate it in the first place.

Edited by Cobresol
  • Upvote 1

-"Running' QBs like Vick are the 'next big thing". How many 'scrambling' QBs have hoisted a Lombardi? Nice throwing, Kaepernick.

Russel Wilson says hi.

This is a pretty dumb argument. There are very few teams that win the Lombardi. The idea that a scrambling QB somehow can't is plain and simple wrong. A QB who is only a runner? Yeah, sure.

But Kaep certainly can with that team around him. Wilson already did.

The only reason this keeps coming up is because people always make excuses for when a QB who runs wins a SB. "Oh he's not really a scrambling QB."

Kordell Stewart, Steve McNair, Quincy Carter, Shaun King, Aaron Brooks, Donovan McNabb, David Garrard, Vince Young, Alex Smith, Pat White, Tim Tebow, Josh Freeman, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert... I missed some classic 'token scrambling QBs' to be sure, but Big Air, McNabb and Smith were the best of that bunch. Two SB apps. between them.

Like I said, more modern QBs are succeeding (in all facets of the game) because of the rule changes. It's easy to run 100+ times for 500+ yards when you aren't allowed to hit the QB in 9/10 scenarios.

In 16 years Randall Cunningham ran for approx. 4900 yards. In 15 years Steve Young ran for approx. 4200 yds. In three years Cam Newton has ran for over 2000. Now Cam is a prodigious runner, but he's on pace to lap two of the better 'scrambling' QBs around the five year mark (and on pace to lap Tarkenton after four years). Y/A are the same more or less across the board for those three guys. The difference is that QBs weren't protected as they are today.

Thanks to rule changes QBs are overrated.

Edited by Cobresol
  • Upvote 1

Can't really do an all overrated team, but I'll try where I can think of someone.

QB: Alex Smith: Pretty self explanatory, see: KempBolt's response.

WR: Brandon Marshall: Played out story, I can name at least 10 receivers I'd rather have.

Demaryus Thomas: He's a top 10 receiver, but he's closer to 10 then he is to 1. So not really overrated, just kinda sorta...

HBs: Marshawn Lynch: He's great at what he does, but I don't consider him an elite HB.

OTs: Jake Long: The guy is obviously talented, but he's been under performing imo.

Gosder Cherillus: I don't see it, never have, never will. Guy is above average to me at best. But Lions fans specifically were making him out to be a big deal. Probably has something to do with PFF rating him as one of the best RTs in the league.

Only guy off the top of my head that I can think of as overrated on defense is Patrick Peterson.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I would have agreed on Raji up until this offseason. I think everyone knows he sucks. Even he does, he had NO MARKET at all.

Kordell Stewart, Steve McNair, Quincy Carter, Shaun King, Aaron Brooks, Donovan McNabb, David Garrard, Vince Young, Alex Smith, Pat White, Tim Tebow, Josh Freeman, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert... I missed some classic 'token scrambling QBs' to be sure, but Big Air, McNabb and Smith were the best of that bunch. Two SB apps. between them.

Like I said, more modern QBs are succeeding (in all facets of the game) because of the rule changes. It's easy to run 100+ times for 500+ yards when you aren't allowed to hit the QB in 9/10 scenarios.

In 16 years Randall Cunningham ran for approx. 4900 yards. In 15 years Steve Young ran for approx. 4200 yds. In three years Cam Newton has ran for over 2000. Now Cam is a prodigious runner, but he's on pace to lap two of the better 'scrambling' QBs around the five year mark (and on pace to lap Tarkenton after four years). Y/A are the same more or less across the board for those three guys. The difference is that QBs weren't protected as they are today.

The only QBs that were actually good in that list are Randall Cunningham, Steve McNair and Donovan McNabb. Once the QB leaves the pocket he becomes a runner, and you can hit him, so idk what you are talking about that.

Dmac and McNair came so close to winning one. Cunningham should have won one.

Edited by Thanatos19

Steve Mcnair was one yd away from a ring and was NFL MVP. Mcnabb went to 3 NFCCG (?) I don't remember and also made a superbowl. Both players would have teams gushing to have them in their primes. all the other names are journeyman or first rd busts, you are just throwing random names in the dark and overall pretty weak argument IMO.

Edited by monstersofthemidway
  • Upvote 2

Edge Player:

Connor Barwin wasn't our edge rusher. Trent Cole and Brandon Graham was. Barwin was our jack linebacker and he was easily the defensive mvp of our team (with Boykin perhaps). He was our jack of all trades player and did everything pretty well. He was one of our main contributors to helping our team not suck against the run and demonstrated outstanding gap control/discipline; something that the stats don't tell.

Btw, great thread idea.

Edited by Dutch

I'm not going to do every position, but I'll name a few.

QB: Matt Ryan

RB: Adrian Peterson (not because he's not as good as advertised, but because the RB position can't consistently carry a team to the playoffs--AP's skills aren't overrated, but his every game impact is. The Vikings are bad QB play from losing most games, no matter how well AP plays)

WR: Torrey Smith

WR: Mike Wallace

TE: Jason Witten--Again, a great player who is as good as advertised, but I don't see him as the game changer he's depicted as.

QB Andrew Luck. Plainly apparent, certain members of TGP want to paint this guy as elite when he hasn't gotten there yet. He will, just calm your tits till then.

HB Jamaal Charles. Because I am a hater and Charles is the furthest thing from overrated.

WR Calvin Johnson. Just by virtue of being the top guy. He's not overwhelmingly so like the media would have you believe though. AJ Green, healthy Julio, Demaryius Thomas, Andre Johnson, and even Dez Bryant are all in his wheelhouse.

TE Jermichael Finley I don't think this opinion has changed in 4 years. I'll need to find a new guy

OL No one overrates offensive linemen.

Edge Rusher: Terrell Suggs. Fuck the Ravens.

Defensive Tackle: Haloti Ngata. Fuck the Ravens

Inside Linebacker: Ray Lewis. Just kidding, Ray Lewis is the GOAT. Real answer is Luke Kuechly. Tone it down a bit friends.

4-3 OLB: I don't think enough 4-3 OLB's get credit, and the ones that do deserve it for the most part.

CB: Every CB except Richard Sherman. The rest of the league needs to stay in their lane.

S: Eric Berry. Because I am a hater and Eric Berry is the closest thing to this.

Connor Barwin wasn't our edge rusher. Trent Cole and Brandon Graham was. Barwin was our jack linebacker and he was easily the defensive mvp of our team (with Boykin perhaps). He was our jack of all trades player and did everything pretty well. He was one of our main contributors to helping our team not suck against the run and demonstrated outstanding gap control/discipline

Gotta agree with Dutch here. Barwin has been asked to play the run and drop back in to coverage a lot these past two seasons, which obviously cut down his sack numbers.

His 2011 season wasn't a fluke. I think you're just looking at the sack stats and drawing misguided conclusions. Also who has been overrating him? Haven't heard really anything about him since he signed with Philly last season.

• Upvote 1

Connor Barwin wasn't our edge rusher. Trent Cole and Brandon Graham was. Barwin was our jack linebacker and he was easily the defensive mvp of our team (with Boykin perhaps). He was our jack of all trades player and did everything pretty well. He was one of our main contributors to helping our team not suck against the run and demonstrated outstanding gap control/discipline; something that the stats don't tell.

Btw, great thread idea.

He's a rush linebacker in your 3-4 correct?

He's a rush linebacker in your 3-4 correct?

No. He's a jack linebacker; LOLB. Trent Cole and Brandon Graham was our predator rush linebackers.

RB: Adrian Peterson (not because he's not as good as advertised, but because the RB position can't consistently carry a team to the playoffs--AP's skills aren't overrated, but his every game impact is. The Vikings are bad QB play from losing most games, no matter how well AP plays)

HB Jamaal Charles. Because I am a hater and Charles is the furthest thing from overrated.

WR Calvin Johnson. Just by virtue of being the top guy. He's not overwhelmingly so like the media would have you believe though. AJ Green, healthy Julio, Demaryius Thomas, Andre Johnson, and even Dez Bryant are all in his wheelhouse.

Did you guys really list hands down the two best guys at their position and arguably one of the best backs in the league as overrated?

tumblr_m1vknqkfDX1qeyt27o1_500.gif

This is suppose to be an overrated team. Not the best in the league all star team. Stop it lol.

Edited by Dutch
  • Downvote 1