Sign in to follow this  
AllYouNeedIsLovie

Impact Tackles among LBs

I've known Wags has been underrated, but DAMN, I didn't know he graded out that well!

Not sure if I'm missing something, they only ranked the top 7?

I actually love the way they figured out this ranking system. I would love to see what the top 100 looks like, or even the top 50. Want to see more of this Impact Tackles.

Not sure if I'm missing something, they only ranked the top 7?

I actually love the way they figured out this ranking system. I would love to see what the top 100 looks like, or even the top 50. Want to see more of this Impact Tackles.

Pretty sure they only chose to study those 7 in the interest of time.

I feel if they kept track of defensive contact wed get a better idea. Vs. Run vs. Pass vs. Gimmick vs. 3/4th down & anytime they made any contact with the ball carrier would give us a much better idea of lb effectiveness.

I just now finally got around to reading this, and while it's interesting, I really don't think all that much weight can be put on these type of stats. When it comes to ranking LBs against each other who play more traditional roles I think the eye test and preferences is the best way to rank these guys.

It's really not fair to a guy like Keuchly at all. Carolina never blitzes, and on run play relies heavily on gap integrity, and patience, read and react. He also plays 5 yards off the ball, and playing in a read and react defense means he's naturally going to tackle guys further away from the LOS.

This is where on a normal play Luke would start:

Luke.jpg

I didn't make this gif, but it illustrates what he's gotta do.

ikmP1secKSAFL.gif

Burfict is in a similar role, where the defensive line does most of the dirty work, and on most occasions, Burfict and Maualuga are cleaning up, and playing in a more read and react defense.

Burfict.jpg

No gif, but as the play develops, they are still shuffling and allowing the play to develop:

Burfict-2.jpg

Guys who play in roles like that have to engage more blockers more often as well.

Compared to David who played in a traditional aggressive defensive which relied on penetration, and getting into the backfield. David also has a lot of run blitzes in comparison, ergo, he has more opportunities to make plays on the other side of the LOS. This is where he's usually lined up. Except he's usually lined up either on the tackle or the outside shoulder of the tackle, rather then being on the center like he is on this play:

Blitzer2.jpg

Blitzer.jpg

It's a run blitz, a staple of the Bucs, and something he does often. He gets to take off even before the ball is snapped. And then there are the times where he's line up wide of the TE on the Bucs' under defense. We all know David is an amazing athlete, and he excels at this, as well as we all know he's one of the best LBs in the game. But still, he has more opportunities to make plays in the backfield.

This is just for comparison's sake, and in no way is it me saying LB X is better then LB Y. The point is, these LBs play in roles that occasionally are so different that I really don't think the numbers do some of them any justice. It's good to look at, and it certainly tells us who the more explosive guys are, but it doesn't tell the whole story imo.

Likewise, the 49ers and the Seahawks have defenses that are very aggressive. Pete Carroll always speaks about how his defense is built around being very aggressive, and we've all seen the 49ers with their aggressive blitz packages.

• Upvote 1