Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

NFL increasing focus on defensive holding

Per Rotoworld.com:

FOX Sports analyst and former Vice President of Officiating Mike Pereira said the biggest points of emphasis in the NFL's officiating clinic were illegal contact and defensive holding.
"Last time the NFL had this as a major emphasis was 2004," Pereira continued, "and the number of illegal contact fouls went from 79 to 191." What this may look like in practice is unknown, but it appears the league is cracking down on the physical cornerback play many of the best defenses in the league are built on. This is yet another move which should increase passing and offensive success throughout the league. Jul 19 - 1:53 PM

• Upvote 1

Not sure why the NFL is being so bias towards offenses. I think the Seahawks proved or perhaps re-proved that dominant and play making defense is just as marketable as a high powered .I just don't get it.

Not sure why the NFL is being so bias towards offenses. I think the Seahawks proved or perhaps re-proved that dominant and play making defense is just as marketable as a high powered .I just don't get it.

Fantasy football, and the influx of new fans in recent years that only want to see offense. I would highly disagree with you that these new fans like to watch a good defensive game as much as a QB throwing for 400 yards.

• Upvote 2

I still think defenses will be able to adjust to whatever adjustments the officials make if its really that drastic. Lately I've seen DBs using the one hand and interfere just to the point of getting off with a "no-call" that I think we'll see start to get called. I don't think they will take out jamming up at the line out of the equation.

What BradyFan81 said.

This is turning into the equivalent of MLBs steroids era. Passing stats are ridiculously inflated.

The steroids era was awesome.

• Upvote 2

God Goodell, if you want to merge with the CFL so bad, be my guest.

Anybody find it a tad questionable that while offensive teams are winning Superbowl titles this is a non issue but two defensive teams win back to back, one of them being an amazing and physical defense, now the defense has to be regulated some more.

Edited by Ngata_Chance

Yeah between MTBI and QBs being money makers 'old school' football is pretty much done.

The AFL/CFL is what the game is going to be.

The CFL has only three downs and a bigger field, hence the massive amount of passing.

These rule changes the Competition Committee are coming up with... what a joke. It used to be a special thing when a QB passed for 400-500 yards in a game. Now it's pretty much become almost an every day occurrence.

Edited by BigBen07

How about they focus on the terrible amount of OPI that goes uncalled.

Exactly.

I am fed up with the sometimes subjective calls and the ones that could go either way and the defender gets caned with a 45 yard penalty.

It's the one area I hate about the game - it needs to be cleaned up properly.

The CFL has only three downs and a bigger field, hence the massive amount of passing.

These rule changes the Competition Committee are coming up with... what a joke. It used to be a special thing when a QB passed for 400-500 yards in a game. Now it's pretty much become almost an every day occurrence.

And 5000 yard seasons will also become meh. Soon 6000 will be the standard.

And 5000 yard seasons will also become meh. Soon 6000 will be the standard.

Yeah. When Marino passed for over 5,000 in 1984, that was very impressive for it's time. Then came 2011 and suddenly we get three 5,000 yard passers all at once. It's just ridiculous.

How about they focus on the terrible amount of OPI that goes uncalled.

I knew it was going downhill after this 2 years ago.

vikings1.gif

• Upvote 2

lol @ CFL comments ben pretty much hit the nail on the head. You can still play defense in the CFL and actually hit people. NFL is trying to shove some flag football bullshit down our throats.

The NFL, where ignoring what the real, actual fanbase wants happens.

The first 3k QB was Johnny U; in 1960.

Prior to 1979 (the 19 years from 1960-1978) a QB only threw for 3,500 yds or more twice. Both times it was Sonny Jurgensen. In that same time there were 28 instances of 3k+ QBs.

Then came the 'Blount rule changes'. 152 3500 yd and 305 3k QBs in the 23 years between 1979-2003. In that era came the first instances of 4k, 4500 yds, and 5k, too (53 4k+ to be exact, with only ONE 5k QB).

After a number of years of Peyton Manning getting manhandled in the playoffs, 2004 saw the rise of 'illegal contact'. Since then, in a mere 11 years, there have been 183 total 3k+ QBs, 65 of which are 4k+ and seven who were 5k+.

While there won't be the 10x increase in 3k QBs like there was post-Blount rule, there will almost certainly be a 10x increase in 5k QBs due to illegal contact enforcement (and a projected triple jump in 4k QBs).

QB TD trends aren't as drastic, but they show a similar rise in 'top level' or 'high end' numbers.

I knew it was going downhill after this 2 years ago.

vikings1.gif

GO BEARS!!!

But seriously...I would have liked to see the college game institute an illegal contact pass five yards. Because right now players are able to use their hands all the way down the field for years in college and then come to the league and start getting flagged up. Give the college ranks a few years to adjust the coaching and see if players come in with better technique....But that probably is too logical for the NFL to actually try.

I'm starting to find it a bit disingenuous now when Goodell and others mention the NFL's parody level being a big focus for them.

Offenses are able to thrive in today's NFL more than enough as is. There aren't enough top level players and coaches for every single team to have a good offense. One of the reasons why I've loved the NFL is that those teams without the good offense could still have a dominate defense and win games. Doing things such as this just ends up putting those teams at a disadvantage.

I don't find it a coincidence they make these changes the season following the Seahawks D dominating the league either.

I'm starting to find it a bit disingenuous now when Goodell and others mention the NFL's parody level being a big focus for them.

I got nothing for this, someone else jump in with a clever comment.