Sign in to follow this  
BC

Veteran Preseason Cut Candidates?

Who are some veterans that you think could be pushed for roster spots by fresh talent come preseason?

For the :Seahawks: we have definitely created a crowded, yet competitive situation at WR to help Wilson progress along in his development. I am really in love with both drafted receivers, Paul Richardson over the top and Kevin Norwood in the slot. Sidney Rice was brought back and I think he makes the team. Percy Harvin is certainly not a high volume snap player but he unstoppable at his healthiest, and will be on the team for certain. I'd be shocked if Doug Baldwin gets cut as he was the most reliable guy who wasn't Golden Tate last year. Jermaine Kearse is I think the guy who is cut, although it's POSSIBLE they cut Sidney Rice instead, as we actually already cut him due to cap casualty, and he's predestined to end up on IR.

I can't really think of many others around the league, but Champ Bailey in New Orleans doesn't sound good to me at all. There's really nothing he can really do any more. One of the best CB careers ever nonetheless.

:Chargers:

Jeromey Clary is on the bubble as a veteran offensive lineman (get excited other 31 teams!). Much depends on how he comes back from his offseason surgeries.

We just let Larry English go today (please try to maintain a modicum of composure).

I personally favor Brandon Ghee to win the 5th corner spot over Richard Marshall, so that would be another one I suppose.

Alright, I'm done. You can all get in line to sign these guys up.

On another note, I'd be kind of interested in Kearse if the Seahawks let him go.

Edited by KempBolt

I'm not so sure that Osi Umenyiora is actually in the plans of the Falcons new plans for the defense. He doesn't really fit in the picture anywhere. He's certainly a possibility I believe.

Peria Jerry too. He really came into his own last season down the stretch, but with the scheme changes and the fact that he's already 29 years old, I think we'll see him cut before the end of pre-season.

Sort of a funny situation right now. We are in real need of some sort of pass rush production, yet we are so loaded with back-up caliber players that we're almost certainly going to let quite a few go.

I'm not so sure that Osi Umenyiora is actually in the plans of the Falcons new plans for the defense. He doesn't really fit in the picture anywhere. He's certainly a possibility I believe.

Peria Jerry too. He really came into his own last season down the stretch, but with the scheme changes and the fact that he's already 29 years old, I think we'll see him cut before the end of pre-season.

Sort of a funny situation right now. We are in real need of some sort of pass rush production, yet we are so loaded with back-up caliber players that we're almost certainly going to let quite a few go.

:Bengals:

BJGE is at risk.

Adam Jones might be.

Taylor Mays.

Maualuga has to be considered.

Clint Boling.

Maybe Brandon Tate.

Peria Jerry..the fucking second coming of Jamaal Anderson. The shitty one.

Da'Quan Bowers - Sucks

Luke Stocker - Sucks, injury prone

Michael Koenen - Overpaid and easily replaceable.

Not seeing many vet cuts on the horizon. But if I had to guess, it could be Jordan Hill at DT. It's crowded in the DT corps and he's more of a one position kind of guy. The unit has easily a dozen players who can play two or three positions seamlessly.

Seattle lost a lot of veterans in UFA. They have a lot of players already in their 2nd/3rd year to succeed them. Additionally, Seattle barely added any players in UFA and only just added Kevin Williams at DT after June 1.

Basically, Seattle already parted ways with the vets that were likely to be cut anyway (Clemons, Bryant, Thurmond, Browner, Rice). That has provided relief on the roster where we aren't in a position to have to clear roster space for up and coming talents.

As it looks early on, Seattle looks like they will be upgrading at all of these positions of loss (including Tate) this year with the possible exception of Red Bryant. I believe that's where the signing of Kevin Williams came into play.

If I had to guess, Tharold Simon would probably have forced a cut of either Thurmond or Browner. He looks like the next great Seahawks corner and is light years ahead of where he was at the end of last season, or even where Byron Maxwell was at this time last year. He looks like he's made the biggest leap in ability amongst the 2nd year guys.

Rookie surprises that should make the active roster:

Kevin Norwood

This guy is fast becoming one of Wilson's favorite targets. He is a bail out kind of receiver. Much in the same mold as Doug Baldwin. If ADB wasn't so good in his own right and valued for his leadership -- I think Seattle may not have extended him this offseason if they knew what they were getting in Norwood. He looks like a guy who will get 20-45 catches a year for the next 6 years. Likely replacement for Jermaine Kearse when he goes UFA next year.

Cassius Marsh

A player who has been a real standout at practices. Always a handful of plays where you are left looking for your roster sheet to figure out who the new #91 is. So active and finds ways to just blow up plays. Looks like he will be a better pro than college player. Fitting in really nicely as a complement to Bennett/Avril.

Rookie surprises that should make the active roster:

Kevin Norwood

This guy is fast becoming one of Wilson's favorite targets. He is a bail out kind of receiver. Much in the same mold as Doug Baldwin. If ADB wasn't so good in his own right and valued for his leadership -- I think Seattle may not have extended him this offseason if they knew what they were getting in Norwood. He looks like a guy who will get 20-45 catches a year for the next 6 years. Likely replacement for Jermaine Kearse when he goes UFA next year.

Cassius Marsh

A player who has been a real standout at practices. Always a handful of plays where you are left looking for your roster sheet to figure out who the new #91 is. So active and finds ways to just blow up plays. Looks like he will be a better pro than college player. Fitting in really nicely as a complement to Bennett/Avril.

What are your thoughts on Justin Britt and Dion Bailey?

What are your thoughts on Justin Britt and Dion Bailey?

I absolutely hated the Britt pick on draft day. He's not stood out much at all early through mini camps. The first practice I saw, he was running with the ones due to Bowie sitting out for injury precaution. Britt was completely destroyed repeatedly by Avril and Mayowa. Speed rushers are just flat out killing him.

Color me seriously unimpressed. But it's extremely early. This scheme Seattle runs generally takes about 18 months to learn effectively. I guess right now, I'd say he's playing about as expected. Seattle wasn't willing to go after a day one/year one starter in the draft where they could have done so. Britt looks like a guy who is severely over his head now. Not expecting anything from him at all in 2014. He will make the final 53. But I expect him to be a weekly inactive.

I should add, that a lot of guys that are producing for us now, all looked kind of similar. Seattle really believes in the long term development treadmill. I can't count the number of rookie turds this staff has polished into 2nd/3rd year gold. This time next year, he could just as easily be a guy making a vet expendable.

He doesn't look as good to start training camp as either Michael Bowie (R7 2013) or Alvin Bailey (UDFA 2013) looked last year. Both of those guys showed flashes of quality but typical inconsistencies. I can't tell if Cable/Carroll are sticking with him because they like his ability to develop -- or if he's just the only guy out there left.

Side note: I have noticed that Garrett Scott has been present for every practice. He was a LT prospect from Marshall we got in R6 that we signed, then waived/NFI due to a heart issue discovered at his physical. This is a guy that I think the whole staff was really high on and severely bummed to have to let him go. He's still a part of the team and it is unclear if his condition will subside or be something that can be treated. I think the long term prognosis for him wasn't quite as dire as feared when he was signed. As it is, he's in camp and participating with the other PUP players.

Dion Bailey looks impressive. It's a real shame that this team is simply stacked with strong safeties. He's literally our fourth string SS and I don't see Jeron Johnson or Deshawn Shead getting cut to keep him. Saw him make a great read on a slant and get a ridiculous one handed pick torquing his body backwards on day one. Physically he really looks good on the hoof. Seattle's safeties all look like that (6'1+ 220+ 4.5+). If I had to guess, he'll be one of 8 to 10 cuts that get vultured around the league. Guy can seriously play. If he continues to progress, it's possible we part ways with either Shead or Johnson. Both those guys are special teams aces so Bailey doesn't even have that avenue to make the team.

Shead is UFA in 2015. Johnson was resigned last year. There is the possibility of keeping Bailey as he has significantly more club control.

• Upvote 1

Intelligent response 10/10 would read again.

Very good analysis :yep: What do you think about Richardson so far and are there any Seahawks draft picks that you think will get cut? :think:

Edited by Chernobyl426

Very good analysis :yep: What do you think about Richardson so far and are there any Seahawks draft picks that you think will get cut? :think:

Richardson is simply ridiculous. He has a gear that just very few players possess. He routinely gets 5 yards separation from Sherman by the 20 yard mark. He looks to the eye to be more explosive than Harvin and that's a really high bar.

I expect huge things from him. What will really be telling is what he looks like in pads. Harvin is Techmo bowlish in pads. Richardson looks great in shorts. Any concerns about how he handles physical press coverage should be trashed. He has incredible short burst quickness that has at this point really rendered him unjammmable at the line. He gives Sherman a real challenge when he comes up to press. You can really see him developing before your eyes at an incredibly fast rate.

His deep patterns are very clean. When he gets the ball, or when he makes a post/corner pattern he almost cannot be overthrown. He is simply tailor made for what Seattle wants to do. Threaten deep and make long touchdowns. Harvin is going to have whole acreage of room to work the short/intermediate routes when he's paired with Richardson. It is easy to see now in hindsight what Pete was thinking when he had Richardson's name penned on his first round card.

What I love most, is that when the ball is in the air, he makes everyone in the LOB look like they are moving at half speed. His ability to get to ludicrous speed after the cut is jaw dropping. Wilson is going to wear his arm out this year if he targets him consistently.

I wasn't a huge Richardson fan when we got him. But this guy has cannot be overthrown speed. His acceleration and long speed are probably the best on the entire team. That's saying a lot since Harvin is one of the NFL standard setters in that regard.

Honestly, I expect most of the rooks to stick. That's by design. Most of these picks are clearly intended to be replacements for 2015 UFAs. Right now, I'd expect Richardson, Marsh, Norwood and Jean Pierre-Louis to be on the active 45 every week. JPL is truly an athletic freak. He looks like an alpha predator patrolling the middle. Have seen him cover Harvin across the middle and do it well several times. These 4 will be starting this time next year.

Britt, I don't know about. He will likely make the 45 actives too. More because we're a bit short on OTs. But compared to the aforementioned players, he doesn't look like he's in the same class.

Pinkins and Scott will be redshirted. Scott, if he can get cleared medically -- is going to be just huge. He looks to have Michael Roos kind of ability. Kiero Small could make the final cuts. Really the only player I can see likely getting cut is Jimmy Staten and that's mostly due to the ridiculous depth we have at DT.

Right now, this looks like it could be the best class Seattle has assembled thus far. Probably 6 starters will come from this group by the time the 2015 cuts arrive. This class was different from the others, as Pete/John kind of applied what they felt was a psychological filter to prospects that they felt kind of defined the types of prospects that have thrived in Pete's competition uber alles environment. So far, it looks like they've really dialed in on the guys that will do precisely that. Very typical Schneider/Carroll draft class. Lots of 'WTH are they doing' on draft day. But see the players in action and you just tip your cap and concede your amateur opinion as not worthy.

• Upvote 2

Bowers sounding like an outsider in TB at this point

Da'Quan Bowers in danger of being cut by Buccaneers

By Kevin Patra

Around the League writer

Published: Aug. 21, 2014 at 10:00 a.m. Updated: Aug. 21, 2014 at 03:36 p.m.

Da'Quan Bowers dropped to the second round in the 2011 draft due to medical issues. Those same concerns could end up getting him cut in Tampa.

The Buccaneers pass rusher is nursing a groin strain that has kept him out more than a week, and it's uncertain if he'll play Saturday in Buffalo, which could make it difficult to make the team.

"I think every day you don't practice you're hurting your chances (of making the team),'' coach Lovie Smith said, per the Tampa Bay Times. "We've seen enough to like Da'Quan a lot. But all the reps that he's not getting, someone else is getting them. The best way to beat your competition sometimes is just to stay on the field. You can't get Wally Pipped. Da'Quan is trying to get back. Again, I think he has a future in the league, whether it be as a defensive end outside or more of a third down rush guy inside.''

Bowers has missed nine games in three seasons and hasn't looked explosive in just eight starts, earning merely 5.5 sacks in 39 appearances.

"It (injuries) comes with the game, you can't prevent injury, but like Coach said, anytime you can't perform on the practice field it gives someone else another opportunity," Bowers told the media Thursday, per PewterReport.com.

"You know everybody is on the bubble," Bowers continued. "There are a select few guys here who have got their spots. The rest of us are competing as well as anywhere else in the league. No one is set in stone, definitely not me. I just take that into consideration each and every day."

The current Bucs regime didn't draft Bowers, and we've seen that Smith and general manager Jason Licht aren't afraid to dump players they believe can be replaced. If Bowers doesn't get healthy and display improvement in a hurry, he could be the next casualty.

The "Around the League Podcast" AFC Season Preview is here. You're welcome.