Print

Email

RSS

FALCONS, WHITE AGREE TO 4-YEAR EXTENSION

Posted 1 hour ago

Jay Adams

atlantafalcons.com

Twitter Jay's Blog

Wide receiver Roddy White and the Atlanta Falcons have agreed to a contract extension that virtually guarantees he will finish his career with the team that drafted him

VIEW GALLERY | 25 Photos

Historic Photos from Roddy White's Career

The Atlanta Falcons today announced that they have agreed to terms with wide receiver Roddy White on a four-year contract extension.

White, 6-0, 211 pounds, was selected by the Falcons in the first round (27th overall) of the 2005 NFL Draft. In nine seasons in Atlanta, White has established himself as the greatest receiver in franchise history. The four-time Pro Bowler owns club records for career receptions (685), career receiving yards (9,436), career 100-yard receiving games (37), and career games with 10-or-more receptions (11). White also holds franchise records for single-season receiving yards (1,389), single-season receptions (115), single-game receiving yards (210), and single-season 100-yard games (6).

VIDEOS: See a Roundup of Roddy White's Recent Highlights

Despite battling injuries in 2013, White closed out the season on a hot streak. He posted 43 catches for 502 yards with 26 first down receptions, and two touchdowns in the final five games. During that span, White ranked second behind WR Julian Edelman for the NFL lead in receptions and ranked third in receiving yards.

Since entering the League in 2005, Whites 685 receptions rank eighth among active players while his 9,436 receiving yards rank fifth. His 55 touchdown catches during that time also rank 10th in the NFL. The James Island, South Carolina native has been a vital part of both the Falcons and QB Matt Ryans development over the last six seasons. Since 2008, White has recorded 543 receptions and 7,282 receiving yards which rank fourth in the NFL during that span. Additionally, his 46 touchdown receptions over the last six seasons are tied for the fourth most in the League.

Between 2010 and 2012, White posted one of the most impressive runs by any receiver in NFL history. He finished the 2012 season with 92 catches and 1,351 yards, becoming just the fifth player in NFL history to record three consecutive seasons with 90-plus receptions and 1,200-plus yards. White joined WR Marvin Harrison (1999-02), WR Torry Holt (2002-05), WR Jerry Rice (1993-96), and Chad Johnson (2003-05) as the only players to accomplish that feat. In 2010, White led the NFL with a career-high 115 receptions and ranked second with 1,389 yards. His 100 catches were the second most in the NFL and tops in the NFC in 2011, while his 1,296 yards ranked eighth. In 2012, Whites 92 receptions ranked tied for 10th while his 1,351 yards ranked ninth in the League.

In 2012, White set a franchise record with his sixth consecutive 1,000-yard season. He also became the sixth player in NFL history to post six straight seasons with at least 80 catches and 1,000 receiving yards joining NFL greats Tim Brown (1993-99), Marvin Harrison (1999-06), Torry Holt (2000-07), Jerry Rice (1989-96) and Reggie Wayne (2005-10) as the only players to accomplish that feat.

Good deal. The hysteria about Roddy White on a steep decline is hogwash at this point. He had an injury riddled year. Glad he'll finish out his career in Atlanta.

Considering he is the Falcons best offensive option (No offense to Julio, but he has nowhere near the rapport and route running ability) this is a good signing. I can remember when he was a drop machine with Michael Vick. How times have changed.

A drop machine that splurged on McDonald's for dinner every night during camp one year. He was terrible. We were all looking for the scenario where we could see him dumped from the roster. Now, look at what he is!

I think he's going to have a nice bounce back season. He's going to be fine for another year or two before his decline begins. The thing that helps us that he's always been that go to possession receiver. Even though he's had solid speed to get behind defenders at times, he's made his money fighting for the football in those medium range routes.

Roddy is the one reason I may watch hard knocks, he's funny as hell.

A 4 year extension of a WR soon to be 33 years old? Receivers, recently anyway, have played well going in to their mid 30s, but still seems like a bit much. At least he'll get to retire a Falcon, I reckon.

A 4 year extension of a WR soon to be 33 years old? Receivers, recently anyway, have played well going in to their mid 30s, but still seems like a bit much. At least he'll get to retire a Falcon, I reckon.

No offense meant but dude it is the NFL. no financial liability. It isn't like baseball. Unless the money is guaranteed then if they want to cut him after the season (or any season) they can and not owe him. All these big contracts get signed but how many players actually play out every year of those contracts in the nfl?

In all seriousness when healthy White is a beast still. Just look at his last five games of 2013. I admit the guy runs off at the mouth too much but I am glad he is a Falcon.

No offense meant but dude it is the NFL. no financial liability. It isn't like baseball. Unless the money is guaranteed then if they want to cut him after the season (or any season) they can and not owe him. All these big contracts get signed but how many players actually play out every year of those contracts in the nfl?

In all seriousness when healthy White is a beast still. Just look at his last five games of 2013. I admit the guy runs off at the mouth too much but I am glad he is a Falcon.

No offense meant but dude, 95% of NFL contracts include a lot of guaranteed money.

• Downvote 1

It definitely seems more like a reward for previous work than anything else, which I typically hate in contracts. I am not a huge fan of White anyway, but there is some value in rewarding your own. As others have mentioned... Being 33 and coming off an injury riddled season, it's hard to justify $30 million dollars through a WRs age 38 season. It's just really tough. The cap should spike again next year, so the team will probably be fine money-wise -- although admittedly I am not familiar with their current cap numbers and who all else is looking for extensions.

I don't necessarily blame the Falcons for doing this deal, but I can't say I am a huge fan of it either.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It definitely seems more like a reward for previous work than anything else, which I typically hate in contracts. I am not a huge fan of White anyway, but there is some value in rewarding your own. As others have mentioned... Being 33 and coming off an injury riddled season, it's hard to justify $30 million dollars through a WRs age 38 season. It's just really tough. The cap should spike again next year, so the team will probably be fine money-wise -- although admittedly I am not familiar with their current cap numbers and who all else is looking for extensions.

I don't necessarily blame the Falcons for doing this deal, but I can't say I am a huge fan of it either.

I think that's a pretty fair assessment overall.

And according to Spotrac, they've got about $13.5M in cap space (11th most in the league), and looking at their active contracts, the only one who will be in line for a big deal soon is Julio Jones, and maybe Sean Weatherspoon? I don't really know how good/bad he's been.

http://www.spotrac.com/cap-tracker/nfl/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/

Sean Weatherspoon will never play for us again. A wounded warrior. Great talent, but our franchise has a history of letting go of players with injury problems and then they somehow beast on their next team.

See. Brent Grimes.

No offense meant but dude, 95% of NFL contracts include a lot of guaranteed money.

And SteVo most NFL contracts include 'a lot' of guaranteed money but without exact data (and I am sure it is accessible somewhere) I'd reason to venture most of that guaranteed money was actually a signing bonus, given out in the first part of the contract, or only a small portion (less than 25%) of the total contract value. The NFL definitely is a league where if you are making too much money toward the end of the contract's term that players historically get cut because of that money. You can see it every year.

• Upvote 1

And SteVo most NFL contracts include 'a lot' of guaranteed money but without exact data (and I am sure it is accessible somewhere) I'd reason to venture most of that guaranteed money was actually a signing bonus, given out in the first part of the contract, or only a small portion (less than 25%) of the total contract value. The NFL definitely is a league where if you are making too much money toward the end of the contract's term that players historically get cut because of that money. You can see it every year.

This is why I love you.

From my stand point, I think you have to look at this as Roddy White playing 2 more seasons in the league. He will turn 33 in November 2014. So you're talking that it's a high possibility he may play until the end of 2016 even. At which case, I really don't see him falling off a cliff. We've seen it a plenty of times, receivers a lot of the time go from playmakers to extremely valuable possession receivers down the road. Receivers keep their value a lot better than running backs, they don't really hit their huge decline until 35.

Also, I'm 95% certain that this deal actually lowers Whites cap hit on the team. This deal needed to get done for both sides sake.

Also, Weatherspoon won't play for the Falcons again. I don't believe so anyway. He's great when he's on the field, but he's no help to the team sitting on the sidelines all the time. NFL.com had his jersey on sale from like $90 to $29 a few weeks ago (it may still be going on) and no matter how badly I wanted it, I couldn't pull the trigger because I know he's going to be dumped after this season lol

His deal includes $10 guaranteed which was all signing bonus. He's set to make $18mil through the first two seasons of his deal. It's actually a 3 year extension on top of his year remaining (well, technically, it doesn't work like that on paper but you get the point) so that puts him locked THROUGH 2017.

Edited by Rain Man