Sign in to follow this  
KempBolt

Top 10 Edge Rushers

So this "position" can get controversial. Define it however you want, just make sure you let everyone else know how you're splitting things up. I'm defining "edge rusher" as 3-4 rush linebackers, 4-3 defensive ends, and Von Miller. May seem arbitrary to throw him in there, but I think this is where he belongs based on primary usage and where he adds the most value.

1. Robert Quinn :Rams:

It is absolutely absurd how disruptive Quinn was last year. Over 30% of the time QB's dropped back against him, he sacked them. And that doesn't even begin to capture the hits (32!) or forced fumbles (7!). Just crazy edge rushing production.

2. Greg Hardy :panthers:

Coming in just behind Quinn last year, Greg Hardy was an absolute force. There may be concerns over his off-field issues, but 16 sacks and 29 QB hits is tough to argue with. And he's no slouch in the run game either.

3. Von Miller :Broncos:

Miller only posted 5 sacks last year sandwiched between suspension and injury. But the last time we saw him over an entire 16 game schedule, he dominated. So he remains in my top 3, and one could make the case for putting him higher.

4. Justin Houston :Chiefs:

So one of the things you have to consider in doing this is trajectory. And Houston's is heading up. He doesn't have a monster season under his belt on par with Aldon Smith or Robert Mathis yet, but it's looming. And Houston will actually be available for 16 games this season.

5. Aldon Smith :49ers:

Smith is one of the harder guys on this list for me to gauge. Statistically, he's a monster. But when watching him, I often wonder how much of his production is a result of playing lined up over Justin Smith as often as he does. That said, he makes enough great plays on his own that I think top 5 is justifiable.

6. Cameron Wake :dolphins:

Wake missed a little time last year and as a result, his numbers were down. However, on a snap by snap basis he was still getting to the QB. He hit or sacked opposing signal callers 27 times-- very strong numbers in a season where he missed 3 games.

7. Clay Matthews :Packers:

Clay Matthews would be higher on this list is he was more reliable. There aren't many players as dominantly well-rounded as he is when on the field, but he's dinged up too often. Still one of my favorite guys to watch.

8. DeMarcus Ware :Broncos:

Ware is a hard guy to rank for obvious reasons. He was genuinely invisible for much of last season. But the track record is such that you still have to respect the distinct possibility that he comes back strong and posts at least one more excellent campaign.

9. Robert Mathis :Colts:

Full disclosure, I think Mathis was cheating and that affected where I ranked him. The fertility drug he blamed helps women ovulate (my wife is on it); the only reason men take it is to cycle down off a round of steroids. Which explains 19.5 sacks, more than what he posted in 2010 and 2011 combined.

10. Jared Allen :Bears:

Seems like I keep waiting for Allen to fall off the cliff, and he just keeps getting to the QB. Say what you will about his run defense, the man hit or sacked the QB 40 times last year. Decline may occur, but I don't think it will be drastic enough in 2014 to make him a non-factor for Chicago.

• Upvote 2

1. :Broncos: Von Miller

2. :Rams: Robert Quinn

3. :dolphins: Cameron Wake

4. :Chiefs: Tambi Hali

5. :49ers: Aldon Smith

6. :Packers: Clay Matthews

7. :panthers: Greg Hardy

8. :Broncos: Demarcus Ware

9. :Colts: Robert Mathis

10. :Chiefs: Justin Houston

Tamba Hali still that high eh?

:Rams: Robert Quinn

:Broncos: Von Miller

:49ers: Aldon Smith

:panthers: Greg Hardy

:Packers: Clay Matthews

:Cardinals: Calais Campbell

:Rams: Chris Long

:Broncos: Demarcus Ware

:dolphins: Cameron Wake

:Seahawks: Michael Bennett

1. Von Miller

2. Robert Quinn

3. Cameron Wake

4. Greg Hardy

5. Tamba Hali

6. Mario Williams

7. Robert Mathis

8. Aldon Smith

9. Justin Houston

10. Charles Johnson

Mario Williams deserves your respect.

Edited by seanbrock
  • Upvote 1

Mario Williams is too inconsistent for me. I don't see how I could include him at the expense of Ware, Allen, or Matthews.

• Upvote 1

So this "position" can get controversial. Define it however you want, just make sure you let everyone else know how you're splitting things up. I'm defining "edge rusher" as 3-4 rush linebackers, 4-3 defensive ends, and Von Miller. May seem arbitrary to throw him in there, but I think this is where he belongs based on primary usage and where he adds the most value.

It is absolutely absurd how disruptive Quinn was last year. Over 30% of the time QB's dropped back against him, he sacked them. And that doesn't even begin to capture the hits (32!) or forced fumbles (7!). Just crazy edge rushing production.

Coming in just behind Quinn last year, Greg Hardy was an absolute force. There may be concerns over his off-field issues, but 16 sacks and 29 QB hits is tough to argue with. And he's no slouch in the run game either.

Miller only posted 5 sacks last year sandwiched between suspension and injury. But the last time we saw him over an entire 16 game schedule, he dominated. So he remains in my top 3, and one could make the case for putting him higher.

So one of the things you have to consider in doing this is trajectory. And Houston's is heading up. He doesn't have a monster season under his belt on par with Aldon Smith or Robert Mathis yet, but it's looming. And Houston will actually be available for 16 games this season.

Smith is one of the harder guys on this list for me to gauge. Statistically, he's a monster. But when watching him, I often wonder how much of his production is a result of playing lined up over Justin Smith as often as he does. That said, he makes enough great plays on his own that I think top 5 is justifiable.

Wake missed a little time last year and as a result, his numbers were down. However, on a snap by snap basis he was still getting to the QB. He hit or sacked opposing signal callers 27 times-- very strong numbers in a season where he missed 3 games.

Clay Matthews would be higher on this list is he was more reliable. There aren't many players as dominantly well-rounded as he is when on the field, but he's dinged up too often. Still one of my favorite guys to watch.

Ware is a hard guy to rank for obvious reasons. He was genuinely invisible for much of last season. But the track record is such that you still have to respect the distinct possibility that he comes back strong and posts at least one more excellent campaign.

Full disclosure, I think Mathis was cheating and that affected where I ranked him. The fertility drug he blamed helps women ovulate (my wife is on it); the only reason men take it is to cycle down off a round of steroids. Which explains 19.5 sacks, more than what he posted in 2010 and 2011 combined.

Seems like I keep waiting for Allen to fall off the cliff, and he just keeps getting to the QB. Say what you will about his run defense, the man hit or sacked the QB 40 times last year. Decline may occur, but I don't think it will be drastic enough in 2014 to make him a non-factor for Chicago.

There's a very good chance Crennel could swing Watt to the edge a few times this season. That will be fun to watch.

He may not be as fast as some of those guys, but he will be harder to stop.

Watt has been in full beast mode in training - I can't wait to see him in action again this season.

There's a very good chance Crennel could swing Watt to the edge a few times this season. That will be fun to watch.

He may not be as fast as some of those guys, but he will be harder to stop.

Watt has been in full beast mode in training - I can't wait to see him in action again this season.

I'm genuinely worried about how Crennel handles Watt. I hope he's not foolish enough to ask him to 2 gap more than once in a blue moon.

That said, a lot of interior linemen bump out to the edge now and then. But that doesn't make them edge players in my book. J.J. still does the majority of his damage from the 5 tech and in. Which puts him (at the top of) a different position group for me. But if you want to define him in this group, feel free to do so.

I'm genuinely worried about how Crennel handles Watt. I hope he's not foolish enough to ask him to 2 gap more than once in a blue moon.

That said, a lot of interior linemen bump out to the edge now and then. But that doesn't make them edge players in my book. J.J. still does the majority of his damage from the 5 tech and in. Which puts him (at the top of) a different position group for me. But if you want to define him in this group, feel free to do so.

I agree with your assessment wholeheartedly - just heard rumblings over the off season that Crennel will be very imaginative with his D and it was suggested the scenario I mentioned could happen.

A novelty play possibly, but would be fun to watch - even if it was threatened, it could throw an O off sufficiently to slow a play/drive down.

Edited by Wattafan

Mario Williams is too inconsistent for me. I don't see how I could include him at the expense of Ware, Allen, or Matthews.

When he's not hurt he's always been a double digit sack guy.

Tamba Hali still that high eh?

Tamba is still a destructive force in the pass rushing game. I don't see how Houston can be higher than Hali when Houston came in immediately benefiting from the attention that Hali garnered. Hali motor is incredible and his speed bending capabilities for his size is amazing. Without a doubt Hali is still a premiere pass rusher in this league. I don't see how he can be left off of anyone's list.

• Upvote 1

Tamba is still a destructive force in the pass rushing game. I don't see how Houston can be higher than Hali when Houston came in immediately benefiting from the attention that Hali garnered. Hali motor is incredible and his speed bending capabilities for his size is amazing. Without a doubt Hali is still a premiere pass rusher in this league. I don't see how he can be left off of anyone's list.

Because I think he's fading.

If you watch the Chiefs, it's pretty clear who the more dangerous player is at the moment. And it was even more apparent in how much more Houston's absence hurt the team than Tamba's. And it's readily apparent that Houston isn't just benefiting from Hali's presence. I can't really fault a guy simply because a good pass rusher was already on the team when he got there.

The numbers from last year:

Hali: 13 sacks, 13 QB hits, 11 TFL in 942 snaps

Houston: 12 sacks, 15 QB hits, 11 TFL in 696 snaps

In other words, Hali got to the opposing QB once every 36 snaps and Houston got there once ever 25 snaps. Over a standard 1000 snap defensive season, that would work out to 13 more sacks/hits for Houston than for Hali.

As a Chargers fan who has to see them twice a year, I'm way more afraid of Houston.

• Upvote 1

Separated them by 4-3 DEs, and LOS edge rushers. For no specific reason, just felt like it.

1. Robert Quinn
2. Cameron Wake
3. Charles Johnson
4. Greg Hardy
5. Mario Williams
HM: Chandler Jones

3-4:

1. Justin Houston

2. Clay Mathews

3. Terrell Suggs
4. Aldon Smith
5. Robert Mathis

When he's not hurt he's always been a double digit sack guy.

Ach! Darn it, you're right. My bust.

2. Von Miller :Broncos:

3. Justin Houston :Chiefs:

4. Cameron Wake :dolphins:

5. Greg Hardy :panthers:

6. Aldon Smith :49ers:

7. Mario Williams :Bills:

8. Tamba Hali :Chiefs:

9. Brian Orakpo :Redskins:

10. Elvis Dumervil :Ravens:

Honorable mentions: Michael Bennett, Junior Galette, Robert Mathis, Carlos Dunlap, Charles Johnson, Michael Johnson, Demarcus Ware, Terrell Suggs, Jerry Hughes.

Edited by Chernobyl426

Not even an honorable mention for Clay ? Come on!!! I totally get if he would be lower on most lists because he is just hurt ALL the time, but... He's still good enough to be on these lists, IMO.

Tamba is a great player, but he is getting a little older. Houston has surpassed him, he's just a lot more explosive and consistently dominant. Not really a knock on Tamba, but more of a... Ya, Houston is THAT good, kinda thing.

Yea, Matthews played almost 400 less snaps then Hali last year and finished with 4 less sacks, 3 less hits, and the same amount of stops.

I hate the guy (despite the fact that I am apparently a Packers fan, still >_>), but he is definitely a top 10 edge rusher.

Because I think he's fading.

If you watch the Chiefs, it's pretty clear who the more dangerous player is at the moment. And it was even more apparent in how much more Houston's absence hurt the team than Tamba's. And it's readily apparent that Houston isn't just benefiting from Hali's presence. I can't really fault a guy simply because a good pass rusher was already on the team when he got there.

The numbers from last year:

Hali: 13 sacks, 13 QB hits, 11 TFL in 942 snaps

Houston: 12 sacks, 15 QB hits, 11 TFL in 696 snaps

In other words, Hali got to the opposing QB once every 36 snaps and Houston got there once ever 25 snaps. Over a standard 1000 snap defensive season, that would work out to 13 more sacks/hits for Houston than for Hali.

As a Chargers fan who has to see them twice a year, I'm way more afraid of Houston.

That's interesting information. However, I'd have to watch more tape and get more Chiefs exposure to change how I feel. Nothing like watching tape. Also, read your P.Ms son!!

Edited by Dutch

Spot on in my opinion.

I will say though, I think Matthews is going to have a solid year this coming season. As long as he's healthy, he's a stud.

Robert Quinn should undeniably be #1. Not just because of his sack totals last year, but because of the sheer amount of talent he's sitting on. The guy has a huge load of speed and gets off the line amazingly quick. Put that with the fact that he can push an offensive lineman like a freight train, the guy just isn't even fair.

JJ Watt on the edge would be one hell of an interesting event to watch lol

I wish I could have given this a +10. Houston is getting a lot of well deserved pub right now, but because of it Hali is being forgotten. Each guy benefits from having the other opposite him, but Houston more so from Hali.

Hali pulls an obscene amount of double teams, and as Dutch mentioned the motor never stops. I understand having Houston in the to ten. He's earned it, but he's not even the best rusher on his own team. All lists should include both.

Also, after last season, I'm not sure how one can justify having Ware in a list that doesn't include Hali.