Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Lions Look to Pound the Rock

There has been lots of talk and analysis this offseason about Matthew Stafford and the Detroit Lions passing attack with the additions of Golden Tate and Eric Ebron.

Stafford is certainly the key to the Lions' success on offense in 2014, but we shouldn’t forget the importance the run game can play in a supporting role.

The Lions had a run/pass ratio of about 60/40 pass vs. run last season. They are committed to being more balanced in 2014, however. In fact, head coach Jim Caldwell has made it a priority.

“I think coach Caldwell and coach (offensive coordinator) Joe (Lombardi) have made it clear that the run game is important,” running backs coach Curtis Modkins told detroitlions.com.

“Our offense will be the Lions offense. Joe comes from the Saints, but the offense will be the offense that fits our guys, and I think Joe and coach Caldwell feel like the run game is very important. There is an emphasis on it.”

Lions.com

Andrew Luck and Matthew Stafford share something in common. Both guys really rely on high volume to inflate what looks like solid / decent numbers. However, a big difference between that two might actually mean these changes could REALLY benefit Stafford.

Luck gets better the more he throws while Stafford actually gets worse. Thus, I think it's safe to assume that the Lions committing more to the run game could be really dangerous for opponents and very beneficial to the overall game of Matthew Stafford.

Now, nominal improvement should be expected when a team begins to rely more on a sound run game. The QB, theoretically, should get more efficient and rely less on randomly chucking the ball into the air as Stafford has done so many times before.

However, I think the data suggests that this could actually REALLY improve Stafford's game. Beyond the expected norm, that is.

What do you think? Good idea, smart idea? Will less throwing mean less targets for Megatron? Will the passing game be more balanced as well? Will they sacrifice targets to CJ to be more balanced? or do they not risk that and shift their passing game even MORE towards CJ to make up for the, overall, less passing?

Edited by Favre4Ever

I really don't know what happened to Stafford at the second half of the season. He was playing himself into the top 10 QBs conversation and then the second half hit. At any rate, balance is always great, and I hope the Lions are more balanced. But it seems every year a commitment is made to run the ball that they end up not respecting.

He is the Lions' 50 million dollar man, and the most important player on the team, and at the end of the day I want the ball in his hands when the chips are down.

FWIW Stafford was better then Luck last year, imo. And was/is closer to being a top 10 QB then Luck. Although this upcoming season... IDK, with all the talent the Colts stacked up on offense.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

Gets worse with volume? More like increase in volume is due to increase in desperation plays. Matt can and does make all the throws. Caldwell has to win me over. He made indi a worse team every year he was there. And his m.o. remains the same. Beef up whatever the prior coach was successful at to buy him a few more seasons to get lucky, and to hide his coaching shortcomings... i.e. lions pass for 5.5k yards a season... do we really need to beef up the passing game? Ebrons a douche who wasnt even in my top 100 players for the draft. A bad TE year inflated his stock... kid cant block and has no willingness to play in the trenches. Hes a fat WR. caldpoor (see what i did there...) really has to win me over... id have traded up for Mack or drafted Pryor with first rd. He lost me there... we'll see i guess... i can see why Schwarz had to go... but they should of ensured theyd be upgrading when they let him go.

Anyways... det. has an underrated OL and can hopefully pound the rock better this year. Bells a stud... but im prepared for a lot of Bush league misdirection antics this season resulting in TOs. :( boo caldpoor