Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Vikings Give Rudolph Mega Extension

The team and Kyle Rudolph signed a five-year contract extension worth $36.5 million, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Sunday, per a source who has seen the deal. Fox Sports first reported the news and the team later confirmed the signing.

The tight end nabs an average of $7.3 million per year in new money (fifth highest at his position), and can earn up to $40 million total. Rudolph receives $19.4 million in guaranteed money (third highest).

NFL.com

Apparently the Vikings put a lot of little things into the contract as a means not to over expose themselves with the contract, so I am not going to dog on them for how terrible it looks or might seem.

However, I did find it a little shocking -- the money they invested into him, that is. He has been a solid player, without a doubt. But this still seems like a pretty heavy investment for a guy who has played 1.5 seasons and has a total of 1000 yards to his name.

This was definitely a potential signing. I'm not big on signing off of potential but giving what players have earned. With that said though, I think he may live up to his contract if Teddy is capable of feeding him the ball. The Vikings are making sure that they keep their young talent.

It's possible that they see him being a lot better on tape than the numbers would indicate simply because they haven't had guys to consistently get him the ball.

I'll say this-- if he can play, he'll get fed in Norv's offense.

Norv Turner does seem to be the TE whisperer, but I'm with Dutch: this is definitely a potential signing, and when you look at contracts as business investments, it's a risky investment. We shall see how this turns out.

As much as I want to say that his disappearance last year had much to do with the quarterback (and it probably did), I can't help but remember multiple times where the backup TE (I believe it was John Carlson) made big plays when there hadn't been a Rudolph sighting all day.

At the same time, Cordarrelle Patterson is going to be a beast, this season, and that should take some attention away from Rudolph.

Smart. I watch Rudolph a lot. Im a fan... add some Norv and its smart to pay him before monster year...