Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

Who Does Your Team Play Out of Position?

I find that there's always one or two guys on each team who seem to be played anywhere but their natural, favored position. I thought it'd be fun to discuss which players we feel that our teams play out of position.

For me, it's definitely Greg Jennings. While he's fine as an outside threat, he excelled in the slot in Green Bay and last year it seemed as though the Vikings lined him up anywhere but the slot. It was rather frustrating to see a supreme talent so consistently misused.

One thing I really love about our new staff is how well they deploy talent. McCoy & Co specialize in designing offense to put players into position to succeed. And nothing sticks out on defense either.

I'd say the closest thing to this was their under-use of Ladarius Green last year. Which it would seem they're preparing to correct.

Really can't think of anyone who's played out of position for the Lions. But I'd vote for Pettigrew just cause he shouldn't ever be on the field...

Texans have experimented with Brooks Reed playing inside backer. I just don't see it going so well. He's strictly a pass rusher in my eyes, and I'll be holding my breath if he has to cover tight ends/slot receivers.

Vontaze at ROLB. Dude needs to be at MLB. And I'd love to see Kirkpatrick play some safety.

Bush should be used less in the conventional running back role. Not entirely, just less... id always have him in motion. Hes one of those guys that forces defenses to tip their hand a bit. And thus far... very little pre snap motion from him.

SHEA MCCLELLIN!!!

I've heard nothing but complaints and questions about Shea for the last two years. Many Bears fans have called him a bust. Fact of the matter is he is a "Jack of All Trades" 3-4 player. In college he played snaps at EVERY single position in the front seven at a high level.

The spacing and angles are different and he has been forced to be a 4-3 defensive end which was the worst position to change him to. Now he has moved to a SAM linebacker this year and people are still wanting more. He just isn't a even front guy.

• Upvote 1

Vontaze at ROLB. Dude needs to be at MLB. And I'd love to see Kirkpatrick play some safety.

Not sure I agree about Vontaze.....mainly because Rey Maualuga is a very good downhill thumper and he can't play any other position. Weakside backers are free to make the most plays out of the three, so your best player should be on the weakside. Moving him to middle would just have you downgrading two positions at once.

SHEA MCCLELLIN!!!

I've heard nothing but complaints and questions about Shea for the last two years. Many Bears fans have called him a bust. Fact of the matter is he is a "Jack of All Trades" 3-4 player. In college he played snaps at EVERY single position in the front seven at a high level.

The spacing and angles are different and he has been forced to be a 4-3 defensive end which was the worst position to change him to. Now he has moved to a SAM linebacker this year and people are still wanting more. He just isn't a even front guy.

Totally agree with you Butta. I was a big fan of McClellin leading up to the 2012 draft, and I thought the Bears drafting him was one of the weirdest/most out of place teams he could have gone to with them running a 4-3. He'd be smart to move to a team running a 3-4 once he hits free agency.

• Upvote 1

Everyone the Bucs field at QB is out of position.

Probably LaRoy Reynolds at SLB/OTTO (name Jags use for the strongside LB)

He's more fit for MLB IMO but Posluszny is there. Since Dekoda Watson had the sports hernia surgery Reynolds got a shot at that spot and has thrived. So while I think he's playing out of position, Reynolds has produced at the other spot regardless. The kid's good man. Athletic, speed, vicious hitter. Oh yeah... did I mention determination and heart?

ryn11.gif

:wub:

• Upvote 1

The Steelers had Ziggy Hood miscast as a 3-4 DE. He's a much better fit for a 4-3 defense, and I wish him well in Jacksonville, except for this coming October 5, of course.

By the way, I think the Jaguars are very quietly putting together a dangerous football team. They're still a year away, but it wouldn't surprise me if they become legitimate contenders in the second half of this decade.

• Upvote 2

Orson Charles. That FB experiment failed.

I remember on an episode of Hard Knocks a lot of the coaches were saying that John Conner was a better fullback, but that Charles had more "potential." I bet they wish they could have that decision back. Conner was a hometown kid too.

Bruce Irvin is kind of in no-man's land. He was drafted when Clemons was the only pure rusher we had around and to eventually hopefully replace Clemons. Then he was meh at getting off blocks so we go and sign Bennett and Avril, and use Bruce more at linebacker type things. I havn't seen him much this preseason and I'm betting he plays in a different uniform after this year when his contract is up, but I'm really not sure where he plays on the field. Last year I recall him having a couple of interceptions in coverage, one @ STL and one @ ATL, so he's at least added a little bit of value but he's still a 1st round bust in my book. I feel like since he didn't really make it at 4-3 DE that maybe he'd do better in Pittsburgh's 3-4 as a rotational OLB. For now he's probably a backup 4-3 OLB for us as insurance for KJ Wright.

Terrelle Pyror is being discussed as a potential cut but I think we have something up our sleeve with him. I feel like we could see him line up in a formation every once in awhile not as a quarterback.

Man I hope Bobby Wagner takes a hometown discount next year or we need two rookie LBs to step in.

• Upvote 2

Bruce Irvin and Shea McClellin are great choices. I felt that both of them would do well in a 3-4, as mentioned.

:Steelers:

Ziggy Hood was absolute trash as a 5 technique and should do much better with the Jaguars, as DBR96A said.

Last year the Steelers played Polamalu at Nickel LB more than he played SS (and he played every defensive snap of the season). This year Shazier will be taking that spot, so Polamalu will be back at SS.

Jarvis Jones is not a fucking 3-4 OLB. The fact that they burned the 17th pick on him makes me furious and if they waste 4 years of trying to get him to succeed as a starter like they did Hood, I will be livid. He is an atrocious athlete for a 1st round LB and his only "upside" was his penchant for making "splash plays" 7 seconds after the snap after being single-teamed by DII college TEs.

• Upvote 1

Good choices all around :clap:, and +2 on the Ziggy Hood deal. Was a penetrating DT (3-tech) at Mizzou, and forced to be a 3-4 DE which obviously didn't go well. To me it's ironic because the Jags (well, the old Jags regime) did the same thing with Tyson Alualu but the opposite. He was a 3-4 DE at Cal, the old Jags staff tried to make him a 3-tech at DT. Same result: 1st round bust. The new Jags staff has put him in as a 5-tech and he's been slowly getting better. To compound all of that madness, Jack Del Rio threw Alualu in on an Oklahoma drill the first day he reported to training camp after it took awhile for him to sign (old CBA.) What happened? He ripped his knee up immediately and after 4 years he's just now reporting that he feels completely healthy in that knee. He's looked damn good this preseason and has been one of the stand outs in training camp. He's a backup now to big Red Bryant and will be used in rotation this year so I expect him to play a lot better this year.

Jaylen Watkins isn't a fulltime CB. I hope they scrap plans to play him exclusively at CB.

Fletcher Cox, he's good in the 3-4, don't get me wrong, but he'd be a lot better in the 4-3 imo. I actually think he's more miscast in the 3-4 than Vinny Curry, who seems like a natural fit at this point with how he bulked up and how he uses his strength.

Trent Cole, still a very good run defender as a LB, but is just not good in coverage and is diminishing as a pass rusher.

DeMeco Ryans, age is getting to him, but the Texans traded him in the first place because he wasn't a fit when they switched to the 3-4. He's not any more of a fit our version.

Brandon Graham, he looks great when he rushes the passer standing up, but literally everything else he does as a LB is so bad it's honestly painful to watch.

• Upvote 1

Kroy Biermann should strictly be an OLB in a 3-4 look and should be off the field in any other situation. He constantly gets washed out of plays as a DE and he is terrible at coming off of a block.

Kroy Biermann should strictly be an OLB in a 3-4 look and should be off the field in any other situation. He constantly gets washed out of plays as a DE and he is terrible at coming off of a block.

Yeah and his wife is a dumb cunt.

• Upvote 1