Sign in to follow this  
Mathias

Your 2014 Preseason Coaches Poll Is Here!

The media.

What does the media care?

Didn't seem to care much when Florida State beat Auburn.

What does the media care?

Didn't seem to care much when Florida State beat Auburn.

Of course they're not going to get worked up that the SEC team lost fair and square. That's totally different.

You really don't think there wouldn't be debate, discussion, feigned outrage, etc ad nauseum in the media if an SEC wasn't even involved in the first playoff?

Think you can already pencil in the SEC champion, LSU. :smug: Could even get three in the end.

OSU and Oklahoma running the table? :yao:

Think you can already pencil in the SEC champion, LSU. :smug: Could even get three in the end.

OSU and Oklahoma running the table? :yao:

Have you looked at their schedules?

The Sooners get Baylor at home and really don't have much in terms of top competition otherwise.

The Buckeyes would have to knock off MSU on the road to go undefeated, but if they do that the rest of their schedule is very winnable. Even without Miller.

And if they don't, there's a chance that MSU might and you'd have the same scenario.

I'm not saying it's likely, but the schedules make it very possible.

Because the only good conference is the SEC.

I always found it weird that a good chunk of fans of SEC teams (not saying anyone here, but it's definitely real elsewhere) champion the SEC. I get the competition deal, lots of talented teams/players etc. But you just don't see that anywhere else in any competition IMO. There's not a plethora of fans of NFC West teams that champion the NFC West and chant out loud, "NFC WEST! NFC WEST!" like a good number of SEC fans who chant their conference. Same goes for like ACC basketball and etc. They're just not out there propping up the division/conference because one of their division/conference rivals is doing well. It's brought up how good their comp. may be when in talking length about the strength of schedule and what not, but there's no pride put on to chanting or championing that division/conference itself.

It's very strange, and damn near cult-like. :lol:

Edited by CampinWithGoatSampson

I always found it weird that a good chunk of fans of SEC teams (not saying anyone here, but it's definitely real elsewhere) champion the SEC. I get the competition deal, lots of talented teams/players etc. But you just don't see that anywhere else in any competition IMO. There's not a plethora of fans of NFC West teams that champion the NFC West and chant out loud, "NFC WEST! NFC WEST!" like a good number of SEC fans who chant their conference. Same goes for like ACC basketball and etc. They're just not out there propping up the division/conference because one of their division/conference rivals is doing well. It's brought up how good their comp. may be when in talking length about the strength of schedule and what not, but there's no pride put on to chanting or championing that division/conference itself.

It's very strange, and damn near cult-like. :lol:

I think that's partially because in college football, you need your conference to be perceived as strong to lend credence to your strength of schedule. I think that will lessen with the new playoff system, but it will still show up in the "This team should be #4, not those fuckin' guys" debates.

Let's be real, though, the SEC has been the best football conference overall for awhile.

I don't root for the SEC, but come on. He just admitted that Ohio State is only playing one good team this year. FSU has a pretty clear path to the ACC title too.

I admit I was a little overboard with saying its just the SEC. Baylor and Oklahoma could be a good fight for the Big 12 and Oregon/Stanford should be good too, but they're still not on the SEC's level. I'd say LSU, Alabama, Auburn, South Carolina, and Mizzou (let me dream) all have good shots to win the conference. Not to mention that other than Kentucky, there shouldn't be any complete doormats in the conference.

Have you looked at their schedules?

The Sooners get Baylor at home and really don't have much in terms of top competition otherwise.

The Buckeyes would have to knock off MSU on the road to go undefeated, but if they do that the rest of their schedule is very winnable. Even without Miller.

And if they don't, there's a chance that MSU might and you'd have the same scenario.

I'm not saying it's likely, but the schedules make it very possible.

OSU is still the favorite in a lot of their games but losing Miller is huge on paper. I could easily see them dropping a few of their games, let alone @ MSU and whoever they would play in the B1G Championship in that scenario. VT, @Maryland, @ Penn State, @Minnesota, and Michigan are all games they could lose IMO. Of course, I could be wrong about OSU, as I don't know how good Berrett is yet. Still a good team, but running the table type of team w/o Miller? Nah.

Oklahoma could be the real deal but they never cease to let people down. Their schedule is an absolute joke. But Baylor and KSU can both beat them, OKST? Maybe. Texas may have a long shot. Luckily for OU those are all home games. And they did really struggle last season vs. WVU. I'll gladly eat crow if they do it but I'm convinced they'll find a way to blow it.

Of course they're not going to get worked up that the SEC team lost fair and square. That's totally different.

You really don't think there wouldn't be debate, discussion, feigned outrage, etc ad nauseum in the media if an SEC wasn't even involved in the first playoff?

Nope. Not in the case that you listed, where there were undefeateds in other conference and the best the SEC could produce is a 2 loss team.

Edited by .AirMcNair.

I don't root for the SEC, but come on. He just admitted that Ohio State is only playing one good team this year. FSU has a pretty clear path to the ACC title too.

I admit I was a little overboard with saying its just the SEC. Baylor and Oklahoma could be a good fight for the Big 12 and Oregon/Stanford should be good too, but they're still not on the SEC's level. I'd say LSU, Alabama, Auburn, South Carolina, and Mizzou (let me dream) all have good shots to win the conference. Not to mention that other than Kentucky, there shouldn't be any complete doormats in the conference.

To be clear, I'm not trying to argue against the SEC being great. Most years they're the best conference in CFB.

I was merely saying that the hubbub surrounding them getting locked out of the first playoff would be entertaining.

Nope. Not in the case that you listed, where there were undefeateds in other conference and the best the SEC could produce is a 2 loss team.

I obviously disagree.

I think that's partially because in college football, you need your conference to be perceived as strong to lend credence to your strength of schedule. I think that will lessen with the new playoff system, but it will still show up in the "This team should be #4, not those fuckin' guys" debates.

Let's be real, though, the SEC has been the best football conference overall for awhile.

Yeah I'm not denying that. Although I do think sometimes because of that perception 2 loss SEC teams or whoever get overrated. Like the SEC used to have dominating defenses, but last year that wasn't the case at all and yet people were still talking last year as if the SEC still had those dominating defenses when it just wasn't the case as it had been in the past.

Agree with the college football thing and the reliance on rankings and not a playoff. Still, I think the "SEC! SEC!" chant is baffling. If I were a fan of an SEC team I'd use the strength of the conference as a talking point, but I'd never chant "SEC!" That's the only weird thing to me.

Yeah I'm not denying that. Although I do think sometimes because of that perception 2 loss SEC teams or whoever get overrated. Like the SEC used to have dominating defenses, but last year that wasn't the case at all and yet people were still talking last year as if the SEC still had those dominating defenses when it just wasn't the case as it had been in the past.

Agree with the college football thing and the reliance on rankings and not a playoff. Still, I think the "SEC! SEC!" chant is baffling. If I were a fan of an SEC team I'd use the strength of the conference as a talking point, but I'd never chant "SEC!" That's the only weird thing to me.

I don't personally do it, but it's a "The South sticks together" type of ordeal for most people that do(SEC chant), from those that I've talked to regarding it.

Passion for college football, overall, is unrivaled in the south, and we take pride in that.

Another big part of it was the SEC is one of the few, if not the only conference now where the majority of it's teams played traditional, smash mouth football. Smothering defense, run it, run it and run it some more, effective QB play but nothing special(we had QBs like Manning, Wuerffel, etc that slung it around a lot but those Tennessee and Florida teams still prided itself on defense, and it should be noted that Tennessee didn't win a national championship under Peyton, but did the year he left/a more traditional offense was put back in place with Tee Martin at QB).

Urban Meyer and Gus Malzahn in the recent years have obviously brought some of the gimmicky offenses to the SEC but the traditional teams still compete with them for titles. Staying traditional is something people in the south seem to love, and they'll support the SEC to this degree unless that changes, I do believe.

• Upvote 1

I don't personally do it, but it's a "The South sticks together" type of ordeal for most people that do(SEC chant), from those that I've talked to regarding it.

Passion for college football, overall, is unrivaled in the south, and we take pride in that.

Another big part of it was the SEC is one of the few, if not the only conference now where the majority of it's teams played traditional, smash mouth football. Smothering defense, run it, run it and run it some more, effective QB play but nothing special(we had QBs like Manning, Wuerffel, etc that slung it around a lot but those Tennessee and Florida teams still prided itself on defense, and it should be noted that Tennessee didn't win a national championship under Peyton, but did the year he left/a more traditional offense was put back in place with Tee Martin at QB).

Urban Meyer and Gus Malzahn in the recent years have obviously brought some of the gimmicky offenses to the SEC but the traditional teams still compete with them for titles. Staying traditional is something people in the south seem to love, and they'll support the SEC to this degree unless that changes, I do believe.

I would agree with most of that, though regarding the smashmouth football aspect, the conference didn't get the "Speed Equals Championships" nickname without cause.

I would agree with most of that, though regarding the smashmouth football aspect, the conference didn't get the "Speed Equals Championships" nickname without cause.

That came in large part due to Florida having a track team for it's football roster. I mean the guys who play for Georgia and Alabama obviously don't lack in speed and most great athletes you recruit at WR and DB and etc are going to be fast guys, it's not to the extent that a team like Florida(and to a much lesser degree, Auburn last year) had under Meyer.

dat Florida (not just U of F, the whole state :angry:) speed is unrivaled. :smug: I remember when I played we just handed the ball off to this kid everyone just called Panky. Kid was like Barry Sanders, he was tiny but my god the speed and the moves...

But yeah I guess that makes sense @ Air. I or none of my immediate family are fans of an SEC team (mostly all FSU or don't care) so I guess I never grew up seeing it like that. Although I am in south Florida, and anyone who knows Florida knows south Florida is completely different than the rest of Florida. My aunt in Georgia is an Auburn fan, I think because of her parents I'm not sure but never really asked any SEC fans about why some chanted it. I figure never to badger a cult member on why they're obsessed with their cult. ;)

This freshman RB for LSU is getting a lot of hype, can't wait to see what all the fuss is about. I read that he's the best college prospect since Adrian Peterson. :coffee:

This freshman RB for LSU is getting a lot of hype, can't wait to see what all the fuss is about. I read that he's the best college prospect since Adrian Peterson. :coffee:

I've been salivating over Leonard Fournette for awhile. :megusta:

lol @ South Carolina. They got their asses completely fucking whooped by Texas A&M.

I didn't see one position that they were better at than the Aggies.

OSU's struggles are kind of worrisome, but I get the feeling the offense was sluggish because Barrett lacked confidence. After that 80 yard strike, it seemed like the offense was much better. Defense is still a concern, though.

Probably just about every LSU fan on the planet knew that Les would call a fake punt on that 4th and 2. Power run game really paid off in the 4th as just like Clemson, Wisconsin's defense checked out. Wasn't impressed with Jennings though.

I really thought it looked like a lot of the Top teams struggled. Even Alabama... If they face a good QB (I had never heard of Trickett but I'll assume he's good) they might face similar problems or even lose. I kind of liked this week. Not very many annoying blowouts by the top teams. All played competitive games. I hope it stays like that.

The talent on our team is there.

Our offense looked good once we stopped trying to force the ball to Cooper and we just wore them down with Drake, Yeldon and Henry.

Sims looked shaky, but what else can you expect in the first start?

Our defense looks atrocious, but missing DePriest is a big deal when you have inexperienced signal callers at the LOS.

Next week you'll see a much more calm, less jittery Bama, as well as the rest of the top teams.