KempBolt

Preseason Reaction Thread

:Chiefs: vs :panthers:

Defense started slow again for us really would like to see them start a little better slow starts are going bite us one of these times, but then as the game progressed got better and back to how they usually are. D-line still just looks crazy good and is very very deep.

Cam had a slow start coming back off that ankle surgery, a lot of mental errors early but after the 3rd drive seemed to put things together and start playing like he looked in practice. Ankle looked to hold up good, had two opportunities to take off and scramble down field but you could tell was hesitant and stayed in the pocket and just looked down field instead of taking off causing two of the three sacks on him. Don't expect him to take off running until the regular season will probably throw away or just take sack if no one is open in the mean time.

Secondary really looked good in this game quick to react White & Cason especially DeCoud had a good game over the top. Surprises this week Anderson Russell & Colin Jones.

KB in his brief moments in the game continues to show why he was our #1 pick had guys beat on one play way down field but Cam just over throws him on the bomb then made a couple other grabs. Made a stupid mistake before the half with that scuffle pushing us out of FG range but just rookie mistake I expect that worked out.

Philly Brown pretty much all but secured his roster spot as PR/KR/WR including after Barner trade which more then likely means Pilares is going to be out the door, it wasn't a good week for him to be out.

LB's still really like our top 4, I think with Blackburn out AJ made have finally took his starting OLB job making a lot of good plays including the INT on Aaron Murray. Think his pass coverage skills are better then Blackburns anyway. I am worried with the guys past that top 4 which struggled after they were pulled out, Jacobs was the one who messed up the coverage on that long TD pass by Murray.

TE Brandon Williams "Swoll" continues to look impressive had a chance for a TD later in the game but got the PI call really think he replaces Dickson as #2 before season is out.

Avant had a couple nice plays, one where he drew the PI call but had his man beat then the other nice catch to get us into the red zone.

Bersin has his coming out game with a few really impressive grabs, pretty much a lot of what we had seen at camp and practice. Think he secured his roster spot.

King came up hurt on the one pass play he got but is practicing this week and will play Friday so that is a good thing still think he is one of the 6 WR's on the roster if they keep 6 along with Bersin & Philly Brown.

Barner did better this week, not great but improvement over last week but still was overshadowed by Fozzy. Figured he was on the verge of getting cut but then they managed to trade him to Philly for a conditional 7th this week, so I am happy to get something out of him if he makes there roster. I figured he would have ended up in Philly anyways had we cut him just because of Kelly maybe they can find a way to get something out of him that we couldn't.

Fozzy, just went crazy after the starting units went out, was moving the ball really well keeping his legs churning. Him and Reaves are why Barner is gone and will be battling out that 3rd RB spot. Fozzy has the inside track right now because they are giving him reps this week with Philly at KR, if he can prove valuable there and productive then his roster spot as the 3rd HB is all but secured over Reaves who I would suspect would go to PS.

Dockery continued to struggle giving up a big pass play in the 2nd quarter. Thought the O-line did a pretty good job this game could be because Bell has officially been named LT and that competition is over.

Noticed they pulled a lot of 2nd unit guys earlier this game as well and put guys in on the very back end of the roster in sooner guess to get some film before cuts. Also a lot of WR's seen reduced snaps was a little disappointed King didn't get more reps after the game he had the week before against the Bills, Same for Lucas who seems destined for PS.

Underwood, McNutt, Clemons, and Pilares all seem to be on there way out the door unless they blow the roof off against the Patriots this week. I expect all except maybe Underwood on the first round of cuts, I just say Underwood sticks past the first cuts because they seem to want to give him every chance to make the roster but doubt he survives the last cut.

Also think KC has some nice weapons, Thomas is going to be a beast with Charles he was a really nice grab late in the draft.

EDIT: Also forgot Norman has had a good off-season but his mouth could cause him to be cut off this team, its bad when not only do you head butt a opposing player but then mouth off to your team leader after he restrains you namely Thomas Davis. He was pulled and didn't come back in. His mouth could end up costing him the roster spot I suspect he has.

Edited by panthergf
  • Upvote 2

Bortles isn't ready to start without committing a lot of turnovers. But he's a better playmaker then Henne. And that should be good enough for the time being. His lower body mechanics are, meh. But that'll come along.

Why in the name of all things holy is Jacksonville going to start Henne over Bortles?

Fans will be clamoring for Blake by halftime of week 1. This is just silly.

- Matt McGloin is much better than Matt Schaub. I don't car eif Mcgloin was playing our 3rd stingers and players who will be cut in a couple days. Just looked better throwing the football as a whole. Schaub did nothing in 3 (I think) drives he had against our 2nd team. Gross.

- Speaking of QBs, Scott Tolzein has to have a lead on Matt flynn going into Week 4 of the preseason. He's outplayed Flynn every week thus far, IMO...Flynn really isn't worth a roster spot, from where I sit. I would rather keep 7 WRs than the idea of keeping Flynn on the roster.

- Davante Adams makes me sad. He might be able to develop, but you can tell it just hasn't clicked for him yet.

- Richard Rodgers got the nod as the starting TE and impressed me, as did the other TEs on the roster. Even without Finley, I think it's a pretty deep position for us.

- call me crazy, I think we may have one of the deepest RB corps in football. DeJuan Harris was on fire tonight. Unfortunate because Rajion Neal looked good but has been out with injuries.. he is probably bound for the practice squad. If he makes it there.

- There are gonna be a lot of tough tough cuts on the defensive side of the ball. Jayron (spell fail, probably) Elliot flashed as a pass rusher... Sam Barrington looked good at MLB... Carlos Gray had a few nice moments on the Dline... Jumall Rolle at CB had a bunch of nice plays.

- Matt McGloin is much better than Matt Schaub. I don't car eif Mcgloin was playing our 3rd stingers and players who will be cut in a couple days. Just looked better throwing the football as a whole. Schaub did nothing in 3 (I think) drives he had against our 2nd team. Gross.

- Speaking of QBs, Scott Tolzein has to have a lead on Matt flynn going into Week 4 of the preseason. He's outplayed Flynn every week thus far, IMO...Flynn really isn't worth a roster spot, from where I sit. I would rather keep 7 WRs than the idea of keeping Flynn on the roster.

- Davante Adams makes me sad. He might be able to develop, but you can tell it just hasn't clicked for him yet.

- Richard Rodgers got the nod as the starting TE and impressed me, as did the other TEs on the roster. Even without Finley, I think it's a pretty deep position for us.

- call me crazy, I think we may have one of the deepest RB corps in football. DeJuan Harris was on fire tonight. Unfortunate because Rajion Neal looked good but has been out with injuries.. he is probably bound for the practice squad. If he makes it there.

- There are gonna be a lot of tough tough cuts on the defensive side of the ball. Jayron (spell fail, probably) Elliot flashed as a pass rusher... Sam Barrington looked good at MLB... Carlos Gray had a few nice moments on the Dline... Jumall Rolle at CB had a bunch of nice plays.

I think Jayron Elliot makes the team, he has increased playing time against 1s and done alright, he has been a bright spot in camp and I fully expect him to stay.

Loving the depth at TE with Bostwick, Rodgers, Quarless with Quarless really impressed me so far in preseason (we all know how high I am on him) and at running back. We have a lot of depth on the offensive side of the ball and I would expect to release Flynn and keep a 6th WR.

I am also quite happy with the Clinton-Dix/Richardson/Hyde safety combo possibility. These three have seemed to click really well in redeveloping the safety corps and should give great cover to the CB's.

JPep looked good last night and I hope and pray that the Matthews/Peppers OLB combo is as beast as I was saying it would be when we signed Peppers. Just having Peppers around is creating so much more pressure up front.

:panthers: vs :Patriots:

O-line struggled last night, our entire starting right side sat last night Chandler & Turner and it looked like a completely different line without them in. The right side was atrocious and Bell had a few struggles gave up one or two sacks I believe but nothing egregious for him considering who he was going up against. Depth is a huge issue O-line wise. Better hope we don't sustain injuries during the season though I expect after last night some changes will be coming to anyone not named Bell, Turner, Chander, Kalil, and Silatolu.

Cam still struggling with timing missed some open WR's and TE's again. Opportunities were there, not sure if it wasn't felt comfortable with the O-line or if it still a issue with being out the time he was with the ankle. No running game didn't help but there were no running lanes thanks to the struggling O-line.

KB had another good outing including when you take in he was going up against Revis. Cotchery and Avant on the other hand didn't really do much of anything. Bersin had another solid game when he finally came in with 2nd unit, King had a nice grab as well before Anderson threw the pick in the red zone trying to hit King on slant route.

Philly did a decent job returning kicks & punts had a nice return called back but would say that job is his. Right now still believe Bersin, Philly, & King make final roster.

Final score is really not a good indication of first units play. Luke only played 15 snaps all together to give more film time to back up LB's. Luke is the QB of the defense adjusts them and gets them in the right spot with him & Blackburn out AJ had to assume Luke's MLB role. Johnson was out, also rotated in Ealy guys like that a lot on ends. When Luke was on the field defense gave up a FG, once he left both TD's on first unit came off of the back up LB's even though Klein who I thought would win the starting OLB job this year was victim to the Vereen wheel route, just hesitated to long to get on the back coming out the backfield.

Norman struggled think starting secondary will be Cason, White, Bene, DeCoud, and Harper when he returns if not then Lester.Don't think Thomas, Dockery make the roster wouldn't be surprised to see them add one or two off other teams cuts or some way.

Back up units didn't fare too well once on the field, no one really made any plays, all in all bad outing overall not really reading into the final score too much. Take away o-line depth behind starters is a issue, Cam needs another game or two so its good there going to play him against Pittsburgh next week. Wouldn't be surprised if they look to replace guys through other teams cuts for back up roles or via trades. Not a good outing but not jumping off a ledge over it either. Including coming off short week, some starters sitting along the O-line.

Edited by panthergf
  • Upvote 1

I think Jayron Elliot makes the team, he has increased playing time against 1s and done alright, he has been a bright spot in camp and I fully expect him to stay.

Loving the depth at TE with Bostwick, Rodgers, Quarless with Quarless really impressed me so far in preseason (we all know how high I am on him) and at running back. We have a lot of depth on the offensive side of the ball and I would expect to release Flynn and keep a 6th WR.

I am also quite happy with the Clinton-Dix/Richardson/Hyde safety combo possibility. These three have seemed to click really well in redeveloping the safety corps and should give great cover to the CB's.

JPep looked good last night and I hope and pray that the Matthews/Peppers OLB combo is as beast as I was saying it would be when we signed Peppers. Just having Peppers around is creating so much more pressure up front.

What happened to Burnett, did we cut him?

And:

1. I never feared losing Finely. I know he was a really talented guy but I figure no matter which TE we put out there is gonna be productive cuz of Rodgers. As long as they're average or better talent (which they all are) we'll be fine.

2. I'm not sold on giving up on Flynn. Tolzien definitely seems like the better option based on what I've heard, but this is preseason. Flynn has regular season experience and god forbid should Rodgers get hurt again I'm not sure I want Tolzien to try and hold us afloat like last year.. I think Flynn's only got one year contract so maybe keep him for this year and then dump him after Tolzien's got another year under his belt. I've only watched about 10 mins worth of preseason so far and it was the Rams game, and I saw Tolzien still forcing throws and making bad (dumb) plays. He's definitely got the athletic ability to play the position though.

3. Is there anybody I should be paying attention to with my ear to the ground type of thing? I saw that one drive where Elliott #91 on defense absolutely murdered. Had like 4 sacks and 2 FF. Against the Rams. So I'm paying attention to him, kinda. He apparently had a good game against Oakland too.

I really don't understand why the Vikings are just handing the job to Matt Cassel. :Suicide:

Edited by BwareDWare94

Manziel didn't look too bad out there. Was actually pretty decent game. Wasn't asked to do much, and those feet are still awful, but he showed a lot more then Hoyer.

Is it safe to say that Michael Sam has earned a roster spot, yet?

Hasn't Ethan Westbrooks been lighting up the Rams' camp? Against the Packers in the second quarter/second half that's all I heard the announcers talking about.

Just a space to comment on what you see out there on the field from your team… or any team.

Coaching is the biggest factor for any teams success and O'Brien has a different philosophy than Kubiak, and it is refreshing to say the least - so far he looks like turning the ship around. Romeo Crennel brings a lot of experience for the defense and Mike Vrabel has been working well with the LB corp.

An excellent part of that philosophy is that all payers are equal, and all must earn their spots on the roster and this has really brought some competitiveness from the top to the bottom. The secondary improved and the front line is bolstered.

The QB position has had an arguable upgrade with Fitzpatrick He has shown surprising mobility with his legs and the right time to use them. Matt Schaub was basically a statue and had lost what he had in previous seasons.

The Oline will take time to gel but it should be better than last year.

The RB corp is looking better with Grimes showing up in the preseason as well as 6th round Alfred Blue looking like a steal. Ronnie Brown adds some experience and is a decent blocker. Foster is said to be looking like the Foster of old, but his hamstring can be an issue at any time.

The TE's are looking good with Mike Thomas showing his value, Ryan Griffin progressing nicely and CJ Fiedorowicz catching some nice passes.

The LB corp has shown some better polish under Vrabel. Btw, Max Bullough is looking like a nice prospect. :)

I think the Vikings are starting to look like a contender-in-the-making.

Corey Liuget had himself quite the quarter of football. Two TFL, a QB hit, and a strip sack. All against Iupati.

I think the Vikings are starting to look like a contender-in-the-making.

They could make some noise this year, but Zimmer wants to start Cassel....:(

They could make some noise this year, but Zimmer wants to start Cassel.... :(

I understand the frustration, but it could all work out to their benefit.

As much as I like a lot of the young talent on Minny's roster, I don't believe for a minute that they can compete with GB this year. And neither do I think they're ready to compete for a WC in that conference.

Which is fine because their key pieces are all young and ascending. Patterson, Kalil, Fusco, Rudolph, Loadholt, Barr, Griffen, Floyd, Smith, Rhodes, Bridgewater, etc.

If they lose a couple more games in 2014 because of Cassel, and wind up with a little bit higher of a pick, it will only give them a better chance in 2015, which is when I think they start to make some noise.

The NFC North is gonna be so fun. Been saying it for months now, but any team could win that division conceivably.

Should be all offense too man. Lots of big time plays and points and lots of shitty defense.

I understand the frustration, but it could all work out to their benefit.

As much as I like a lot of the young talent on Minny's roster, I don't believe for a minute that they can compete with GB this year. And neither do I think they're ready to compete for a WC in that conference.

Which is fine because their key pieces are all young and ascending. Patterson, Kalil, Fusco, Rudolph, Loadholt, Barr, Griffen, Floyd, Smith, Rhodes, Bridgewater, etc.

If they lose a couple more games in 2014 because of Cassel, and wind up with a little bit higher of a pick, it will only give them a better chance in 2015, which is when I think they start to make some noise.

This is like an NBA mindset and I totally disagree with it when it comes to the NFL. The best player should win the job. You play to win the game. The Packers are far from dominant, especially when they're forced to play without Aaron Rodgers and it's pretty much a given that he'll miss a game or two a year at least. Adrian Peterson can carry this offense to the playoffs when they're not completely one dimensional.

This is like an NBA mindset and I totally disagree with it when it comes to the NFL. The best player should win the job. You play to win the game. The Packers are far from dominant, especially when they're forced to play without Aaron Rodgers and it's pretty much a given that he'll miss a game or two a year at least. Adrian Peterson can carry this offense to the playoffs when they're not completely one dimensional.

Yeah, and so far this preseason it's not crazy to argue that Cassel has looked better. It's not a landslide or anything, but you can make that case. Fans want Teddy in because he's the future. Not because he's been appreciably better.

Corey Liuget had himself quite the quarter of football. Two TFL, a QB hit, and a strip sack. All against Iupati.

Yeah. Hasn't been the same player.

Yeah. Hasn't been the same player.

I also saw some good plays from him and Ingram vs. Staley. I was surprised. You'd expect those two to be the rocks of this OL while it's dealing with missing players.

I honestly think the 49ers are really stupid for not paying Boone. They've been getting elite play out of him for peanuts, and the rumored offer of around 5M/season is a total insult. People can say whatever they want about the guard position, he's better than guys who are making quite a bit more than that. And he brings the added value of being able to seamlessly play 4 of 5 positions.

I don't get it. What are they so worried about?

• Upvote 1

Yeah, and so far this preseason it's not crazy to argue that Cassel has looked better. It's not a landslide or anything, but you can make that case. Fans want Teddy in because he's the future. Not because he's been appreciably better.

Maybe it's just a difference in philosophy but there's no upside with Cassel. We've seen the best we're going to get from Cassel. The Vikings have seen it and it wasn't very good. The Vikings offense was anemic and they missed the playoffs. With Teddy you have a chance a growth and something better.

Maybe it's just a difference in philosophy but there's no upside with Cassel. We've seen the best we're going to get from Cassel. The Vikings have seen it and it wasn't very good. The Vikings offense was anemic and they missed the playoffs. With Teddy you have a chance a growth and something better.

I thought the best player should win the job? Isn't that the hardcore NFL attitude you were espousing a minute ago?