KempBolt

Preseason Reaction Thread

Just a space to comment on what you see out there on the field from your team… or any team.

:Cowboys: @ :Chargers:

In general, a really hard game for me to take anything away from…

• The starting defense looked decent, but there still wasn't enough pressure. But then again, Dallas' OL is going to be really good so maybe a little pressure vs. them is OK? I really don't know. Our starters forced theirs to punt, but it was Brandon Weeden and Joseph Randle so… :shrug: .
  • Some of our rookies and camp invitees really distinguished themselves. I saw some pressure from Attaochu, I thought Carrethers looked disruptive, Tevin Reese has wheels, Dontrelle Inman probably makes this team, and Branden Oliver looks like a gem.
  • Marion Grice was the most mystifying pick for the Chargers during the draft, and it didn't go well for him. He was indecisive and looked slow. Maybe not fully healthy yet. Probably a PS candidate.
  • The Dallas defense is horrid and they have no depth. Our QB's went 14/16 for 243 yards and a score (15.2 YPA) against them. Our top 4 RB's carried the ball 17 times for 115 yards (6.8 YPC).

On the whole, I think our starters looked ok on defense and great on offense. I'm excited to see Flowers, Liuget, and Verrett out there once healthy. Our team was clearly better and deeper than the Cowboys, so I guess it's a positive. Though I'm far more interested to see what we look like @SF and @SEA.

Final note: Get ready for a TON of defensive holding calls. Just terrible...

:Bengals: vs. :Chiefs:

- Matt Scott looked like a solid #2.

-Eifert looked improved.

-Jason Campbell looks like practice squad level.

-Dennard looked impressive. Kirkpatrick too. Really like the tandem this year.

-Our D-line looks to be productive even after losing Michael Johnson

-Hopkins finally getting reps. Dude could be a UDFA starter.

-Dee Ford looked a bit lost at times

:Chiefs:

DeAnthony Thomas had an amazing 80 yards punt return for a TD. He may not get a lot of show straight off but he will be a force as a return man.

My overarching observation:

The new points of emphasis are the complete suck. Not even from a Seahawk's perspective which in fact we got flagged very few times for.

It made the other games I watched completely miserable. If this is what we can expect come the regular season, I'm seriously not interested in watching other teams' games. The rules are literally forcing teams to try to get penalties instead of making actual plays. Receivers are a good step ahead in the initiate contact for a free first down and that looks to continue.

I have no interest in watching teams vie for the most free first downs. These rules are turning the NFL into a Mexican Futbol league flop fest. Maybe it's age. But I've been a fan of the NFL for well over 30 years and last night was the first time I more than contemplated watching other TV and turning off games I had an outside interest in. I queued up an old season 3 episode of Deadliest Catch and stopped watching the SF/Baltimore game after about 15 minutes.

It's not fun. I'll find other things to occupy my time if this is how it's going to be.

• Upvote 1

Blake Bortles :notbad:

Refs are flag-happy.

• Upvote 1

Trade Foles, fire Kelly. Bring back Andy!

• Upvote 1

Nate Solder got his lunch handed to him by Brian Orakpo. Really embarrassing for him.

I mean Orakpo is awesome, but Solder just got absolutely destroyed.

Edited by BradyFan81

I don't complain about officiating very much, but... I have to agree that the new reffing really blows. I hope it isn't like this all the time.

• Upvote 1

:Bucs: vs :jags:

• Both starting interior OLs got destroyed, Gerald McCoy and SenDerrick Marks are really good.

• Bucs starting OTs struggled too though (lots of pressure, 3 sacks — one of which ended in a strip/turnover.) Hard to judge if it's due to Jags new DL additions or the Bucs OL (probably a little of both) but the battle was obviously won by the Jags DL.

• Blake Bortles doesn't look like a rookie at all so far. Made great decisions, saw the field well, made a good throw under pressure, was poised and only had one inaccurate ball (that still hit his WRs hands) all night. Plagued by 3 drops that would of made his debut that much more impressive.

• Mike Brewster is who we thought he was, and this time he can't even snap the ball properly.

• Denard Robinson doesn't deserve to be the 4th string RB. Todman/Robinson/Johnson all should get opportunities with the 2nd string offense (or 1st if Gerhart is out like tonight.) He plays bigger than his size, shows impressive drive for a slimmer looking guy, good vision and you can't teach speed.

• UDFA WR Allen Hurns is going to make this team somehow, some way.

• Upvote 1

I don't complain about officiating very much, but... I have to agree that the new reffing really blows. I hope it isn't like this all the time.

I'm willing to bet it's just to pound home what they want to see in terms of changes in the way the game is played in the receiving game. Like they're being really strict right now when the games don't matter to make an emphasis. I doubt it'll be this flag happy when the games count, they're trying to train the DBs on what they won't like to see in the regular season/playoffs.

:Bucs: vs :jags:

• Both starting interior OLs got destroyed, Gerald McCoy and SenDerrick Marks are really good.

• Bucs starting OTs struggled too though (lots of pressure, 3 sacks — one of which ended in a strip/turnover.) Hard to judge if it's due to Jags new DL additions or the Bucs OL (probably a little of both) but the battle was obviously won by the Jags DL.

• Blake Bortles doesn't look like a rookie at all so far. Made great decisions, saw the field well, made a good throw under pressure, was poised and only had one inaccurate ball (that still hit his WRs hands) all night. Plagued by 3 drops that would of made his debut that much more impressive.

• Mike Brewster is who we thought he was, and this time he can't even snap the ball properly.

• Denard Robinson doesn't deserve to be the 4th string RB. Todman/Robinson/Johnson all should get opportunities with the 2nd string offense (or 1st if Gerhart is out like tonight.) He plays bigger than his size, shows impressive drive for a slimmer looking guy, good vision and you can't teach speed.

• UDFA WR Allen Hurns is going to make this team somehow, some way.

Yeah. Vin blamed Henne on that. It was definitely the center that snapped it when he wasn't supposed to. :yep:

Edited by Spartan Havoc

Bills won tonight. Therefore we are going to win the super bowl.

• Upvote 2

Some things I noticed about the Falcons.

Matt Ryan looked confident, and I think losing Tony G is a huge benefit because he looks more for the open receiver instead of the safety net in Tony G.

Devonta Freeman. Stud.

Antoine Smith. A wrecking ball, if not for a few unfortunate penalites...his stats would've been monstrous

Jake Matthews did a great job against Cameron Wake IMO. Had 2 penalties, but when you're a rookie and you have Wake coming at you in your first NFL start...yeah. That'll happen

Javier Arenas played great at nickel

If Bernard Reedy's speed is the real fucking deal. Love him.

Tyler Starr's motor is crazy. A potential Clay Matthews Jr. Incoming.

Caught a little bit of the :Saints: / :Rams: game.

-Brandin Cooks is as advertised. 4.3 speed, can stop on a dime, and extremely dangerous when in the open field. He's going to tear it up with Brees throwing to him.

-Mark Ingram is running with a lot more confidence, and trucked his way into the endzone. He's going to try and make a statement in a contract year.

-Tavon Austin looked good especially running slants. He needs to work on/up his YAC. If Kenny Britt can still stretch the field, Austin could get a lot of 1-on-1's against ILBs. That could make things a lot easier on Sam Bradford.

Saw a bit of :Raiders: vs :Vikings:

• Just the 1st preseason game under a new system/coach/teammates etc. but Matt Schaub looked pretty bad. Out of sync with his WRs, inaccurate on other throws.

• MJD looked like he's regained a little bit of the quickness he lost the past two years. People joked about him being fat last year and honestly the jokes held some merit as MJD himself has said he rededicated his diet this year and it shows as he didn't look like he was running through mud like he did most of the time last year. He's also two years removed from that lisfranc injury too which helps.

• Bridgewater looked like a rookie out there. Some poor decisions on a couple throws, lots of dink and dunk completions and a rare sign of poor pocket presence on one of his sacks in which he didn't know where to go with the ball and he stepped right into the sack/fumble. Didn't impress or play as well as he's shown he can in college at all.

• Derek Carr looked like Derek Carr. Lots of dink and dunk, the game seems fast for him right now like it did for Bridgewater. Sporadic accuracy.

• I thought Jerick McKinnon showed some nice stuff against the Raiders starters. Displayed flashes of good vision, good speed and he ran hard. I don't think the Vikings will miss Gerhart to spell AP with him and Asiata to pick up the slack.

• Sio Moore continues to get into the backfield with ease. The Raiders can scheme up some pass rush between the new pieces they added and holdover guys like Sio.

• BREAKING: Cordarrelle Patterson is going to be pretty good. Adam Thielen however might challenge him for some return duty work. Thielen looked pretty good returning punts tonight as well as in coverage on special teams. He'll make the team just off his special teams performance alone if he can replicate some of what he did tonight. Good story to follow; practice squad guy earning his way into playing time (similar to the Jags' DL Ryan Davis.)

Edited by CampinWithGoatSampson

The Eagles have a really strong young defensive line and Fletcher Cox and Cedric Thorton are excellent starters, but Vinny Curry is in the backfield seemingly every snap he gets on the field in training camp, pre-season and the regular season. This guy has to be on the field more than he was last year.

All aboard the Josh Huff hype train

Some things I noticed about the Falcons.

Matt Ryan looked confident, and I think losing Tony G is a huge benefit because he looks more for the open receiver instead of the safety net in Tony G.

Devonta Freeman. Stud.

Antoine Smith. A wrecking ball, if not for a few unfortunate penalites...his stats would've been monstrous

Jake Matthews did a great job against Cameron Wake IMO. Had 2 penalties, but when you're a rookie and you have Wake coming at you in your first NFL start...yeah. That'll happen

Javier Arenas played great at nickel

If Bernard Reedy's speed is the real fucking deal. Love him.

Tyler Starr's motor is crazy. A potential Clay Matthews Jr. Incoming.

Wish Smitty would take his head out of his ass and give Antone Smith some meaningful carries. We saw it last year too. Every time Smith gets the football, he's a home run threat. He's no good up the middle, or in pass pro really, but man, give him the ball and let him hit the gas pedal and he's gone!

Devonta Freeman could be a starter in this league, easily. He looked absolutely fantastic. How about that over the shoulder grab!! Man, can't wait to see what else this kid has for us to see.

Edited by Rain Man

Merged the topic I made this morning with this one. My bad, Kemp. Didn't see this thread until now.

1. Matt Cassel did not take the QB job firmly, last night. Two throws on his touchdown drive should have been picked off. He was in full on Kansas City mode and was lucky that Patterson and Jennings are as dynamic as they are.

2. Teddy Bridgewater had some struggles in his first live game action, but he looked just fine, to me, moving forward. I understand the theory of Cassel as a "bridge" that allows Teddy to slowly take the reigns, but there's no point.

3. That Minnesota defense is legit. All it took were a few additions and the use of non-pussy schematics.

4. The Raiders are really really bad.

Edited by BwareDWare94

I forgot to mention for the :jags: Alualu looks like his knee is finally 100% healthy for the first time in his entire career after Del Rio stupidly threw the kid into an Oklahoma drill the day his hold out ended and he shredded his knee (but still played on it, and never missed a game in his career.)

He was dominating out there tonight and had a sack/strip to boot for it. It wasn't just me either, here's a respected ex-player (D-lineman) who's got a bit into scouting (and does a nice job on sbnation), he's a Bucs fan/follower too:

https://twitter.com/sgw94/status/498106146667134978

DVR'd :Bills: vs :panthers:

• Sammy looks so miserable with EJ as his QB :( But it might just be them feeling each other out because EJ doesn't seem like he knows how to utilize him yet. He still has that chemistry with Robert Woods though, and made a nice read on a defensive breakdown on a nice loft to a wide open Chris Hogan.

• Kelvin Benjamin, y'all

InsidiousQueasyIndianpalmsquirrel.gif

• Speaking of EJ, he played real solid in spurts in this game, but had his fair share of goofs. Looks about the same as he did his rookie year so far this preseason.

• The Bills are just flat out mean hogging up all those RBs like they are :lol: But yeah they really gashed the Panthers run defense in this game. Might just be because of preseason but Carolina has to shore that run defense up (though they had a real nice goal line stand early in the game to stop them on 4th down.)

Edited by CampinWithGoatSampson
  • Upvote 2