KempBolt

Preseason Reaction Thread

I've learned that I'm still fine with Bridgewater sitting for longer. I don't want him rushed. I don't care if this isn't our year, if holding back Bridgewater means he'll be better later on then I have no problem waiting.

I don't follow the Vikes closely. But I do think that the benefits of holding a QB back are overstated tremendously.

This used to be a closely followed norm. But it's rooted in 'old school' experience. QBs generally had a huge learning curve to surmount between college and the pro levels.

The quality of QB instruction, from junior/pop warner on throughout the high schools is just light years ahead of where it was in the 80's and 90's. Even the early '00s. QBs that enter college now probably have over 600% more throws experience than they did in those periods. And much more quality instruction. They teach QBs how to read defenses even before junior high levels now. And QBs with any demonstrable skill end up getting accelerated instruction through camps.

The base of skill in QBs at the higher amateur levels today is unrecognizable from the greats of the 20th century.

If Minnesota is looking at safeguarding his psyche, I would throw Ponder to the early season wolves and then bring him in later this year. That way, he gets the benefit of having a relatively expectation free year.

Ultimately, QBs are all different. But looking at QB starters over time, their production relative to their career peak accelerates rapidly in the first 20 starts of their careers. It is in Minnesota's interests to get those 20 starts under his belt as soon as possible. And further, it's more important that he begin to gain heightened familiarity with Patterson.

Bridgewater has a lot of QB experience already. 39 collegiate starts and 3 years at national power Miami Northwestern. He isn't going to sit for long -- nor should he.

I second Ponder over Cassel if we aren't going to start Bridgewater.

I am flat out telling you, Christian Ponder gives this team a better chance to win than Matt Cassel. He's smarter, much more athletic, and has much more upside.

He's already ruled out of the starting role, so it doesn't matter, but I absolutely despise Matt Cassel. This is the wrong move, Zimmer and Turner. Wrong move to even give Matt Cassel one starter snap. OSU, if you watched Cassel's drive last week, two throws should have been picked, would have been picked by competent defenses.

Matt Cassel needs to go. This is driving me crazy.

The Jaguars are crazy if they start Henne over Bortles. The AFC South is a weak division. Let Bortles give you a chance to at least be competitive for awhile.

Next up...

:Eagles: vs :Bears:

• If Bears TE Zach Miller (former 2009 6th round pick of the Jags) ends up balling out for the Bears I'm gonna be :disgust: He was running good routes and showing nice hands out there for both Cutler and Jordan Palmer.

Welp...

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/500372512384245760

He could never stay healthy with the Jags. Not surprised. Sucks for him though.

32 penalties in Saints/Titans. Thirty fucking two. 5 off from tying an NFL record. I agreed with MAYBE 13-14 of them.

What the fuck, NFL?

James Carpenter deserves the most improved award. He's gone from terrible to power-guard. lost a good chunk of weight off him and drives people.

Christine Michael has amazing direction change speed but I could stand to definetely see him protect the dang ball because Turbin will slide back up into a role if he doesn't, both making the run game look easy. Turbin looked like a baby beast mode tonight to quote Ladanian Tomlinson.

Nobody is better than Russell Wilson at being opportunistic. He makes pass rushers look slow creating space for himself, and seems to always automatically know if its better to take the running lanes he's given or throw. He didn't play favorites, he spread the ball around to everyone pretty good.

We are ready if needed for a LB or DE injury. Pierre-Louis the 4th rounder, and Brandon Schofield have lighter fluid in their systems.

Paul Richardson didn't really get much tonight, but the run game was so strong, I think when we need to we'll call his number more.

Edited by BC

My mom tonight:

"Oh God, the Seahawks are going to score again?"

• Upvote 1

I like your mom :lol:

I like your mom :lol:

Hopefully not too much. Dad's a SEAL. Could end poorly ;).

• Upvote 2

Chargers defense, shocking. Seattle, too good all around. That crowd though.....calm down its preseason.

Can't wait til the Titans o-line destroys Clowney and Watt.

But no, seriously, that's gonna be one of the best position matchups of the year. Titans o-line vs Texans d-line.

Why the fuck does Matt Cassel have to pretend to be a good quarterback when games don't matter? I hate it. It's all going to change come meaningful football.

Like I said before. What;s best for the Lions is for the Vikings to keep playing Cassel. It's preseason, so I don't take really take anything from that game. But Bridgewater is a top 10 QB in the making.

• Upvote 2

Scott Tolzien!!!! Matt Flynn didn't really get many chances to throw the ball, and when he did... Jeff Janis made him look a lot better. Chris Harper stock down, Janis up.... Davante Adams going back up after a yuck game last week.

Our starting Olines pass pro looked real legit, too... Do the Rams even have a pass rush? I didn't notice.

Yea very happy with the protection from the online for the majority of the game, McCarthy might be right about it being the best Oline he's had.

On the flside the defence looked a lot better and there was pressure coming from all parts of the field. Pass D looks good and was happy with Dix.

Cobb and Rodgers connection looks great early.

Like I said before. What;s best for the Lions is for the Vikings to keep playing Cassel. It's preseason, so I don't take really take anything from that game. But Bridgewater is a top 10 QB in the making.

Yeah, I think Teddy will be just fine. Cassel makes me physically angry when I see him. He's bad. No good. At all. I was mad when the Browns took Johnny from the Chiefs, and then my anger was compounded when they shit the bed by passing up Teddy.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I think Teddy will be just fine. Cassel makes me physically angry when I see him. He's bad. No good. At all. I was mad when the Browns took Johnny from the Chiefs, and then my anger was compounded when they shit the bed by passing up Teddy.

Well, at least Teddy put himself back in the discussion with his second half, last night.

Cassel can't start. He just can't. This Vikings team has a real chance to be competitive this year and, as DMac said--all starting Cassel does is bring the Lions into the fight.

Teddy was bad in week 1 of pre-season, has a good game in week 2 against backups and is supposedly some kind of great QB.

wat

Teddy was bad in week 1 of pre-season, has a good game in week 2 against backups and is supposedly some kind of great QB.

wat

The other option is Matt Cassel. We aren't saying Teddy is great. We're saying we want anybody, ANYBODY other than #16 under center come week 1.

I'd rather start Christian Ponder, for fuck's sake. Matt Cassel is not the answer.

I think Teddy's game was good as a confidence booster. That's all I have to say on this. Not gonna buy into Teddy already being our franchise guy because of a preseason game.

I'd rather start Christian Ponder, for fuck's sake. Matt Cassel is not the answer.

I would do anything to make sure Ponder never fields for us as a starter again...

... anything...